Air Pressure vs Gravity

• 1933 Replies

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
Re: Air Pressure vs Gravity
« Reply #810 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
The moon is not a 3 dimensional object. It's a hologram reflection.

That kind of shit is only possible in science fiction.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:13:00 AM by onebigmonkey »
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #811 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »
But inertia does have a meaning.  You're just refusing to grasp it.  Maybe you've been brainwashed by your own "theory" so that you can't see beyond it any more.
I couldn't see it in the first place due to it being a load of old cack.
Inertia and gravity cannot be explained as anything worthwhile, knowing.
My theory aids me in understanding just what a bogus set of words inertia and gravity, are.
Or, you're so deluded by your "theory" that you've closed your mind to any other possibility.

Yes, at an atomic level everything is vibrating and there are countless internal forces acting between those atoms, but that's a different branch of physics and a different discussion.  What we're discussing here is the object as a whole and external forces that may or may not be acting upon it.  Again, for educational purposes, it is perfectly acceptable to start out with a purely hypothetical idealized scenario to get the basic idea across before adding extraneous real world forces that greatly complicate the situation.
Never mind for educational purposes. It cannot be done. It cannot happen for any purpose, so how in the hell can it be educational?
You have to learn to walk before you can run.  If you can't grasp fundamental principles like inertia in their simplest forms, then there really isn't any way that you can properly apply it to the real world.

The reason why people believe all this bullshit is because so called scientists say the very same thing.
No, people believe in inertia is because it has been experimentally demonstrated for hundreds of years.

"Imagine a black hole."  "Imagine the big bang starting from nothing."
The truth is, none of it can be imagined because there's nothing to imagine...because it's a nothing.
Why don't we try to get a grasp on inertia before we try to tackle black holes and the origin of the universe.  Remember, learn to walk before you try running a marathon.

A bowling ball doesn't have much of a life, so I don't think that it would mind much if we put it into an environment devoid of any external forces for educational purposes.
It can't be done marky lad. It can't be done.
Honestly, do you have the ability to grasp abstract concepts?  I'm becoming more and more convinced that you can't and that's probably why you have such a hard time with mainstream science and seem to avoid math like the plague.
Up your game, markjo.
Inertia has not been proved and nobody knows what it is. The same goes with gravity.
No amount of foot stamping will change that.

How about explaining the reality of what they are instead of side stepping.

« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
Look through a telescope. That's all I ask of you.

Go to an observatory and actually LOOK AT the moon. It is not a reflection, it is a 3 dimensional object with shadows cast upon it. If you ever took the time to actually observe the world around you there is no way you could possibly come to such an idiotic conclusion.
If you actually took the time to observe, you would not be jumping about championing a globe with light year stars...or maybe you would, assuming you are the real Bill Nye.

That's the thing, though, I have done a lot of observing, especially through a telescope. The cosmos is an infinitely amazing thing, and to sum it all up as simple reflections is shortsighted and foolish.

Again, look at the moon through a telescope. It is clearly a 3-dimensional object, not a reflection. Anybody with eyes and a telescope can see that plainly.
There's a reason why we only see one side of the supposed moon. It's because it isn't a physical body in the sky.

Go and boil your head I'm looking right at tthe moon just now.
The bloody ancients seen the moon just like this...how can it possibly be a projection?
There were no f in projectors in the Stone Age.
My god you are such an arse!

Here's the thing: the projector is naturally occuring

So even though there has NEVER BEEN an arc lamp observed in nature, there exists a GIGANTIC, naturally occuring one under (or over, Scepti hasn't exactly been clear) the North Pole.

In addition to this, Scepti also claims there to be a naturally spinning, free-floating prism sitting atop this impossibly large graphite arc lamp. This prism is what gives us what we see in the night sky, as well as providing sufficient energy to create all natural light and heat we experience here on Earth.

Scepti claims to know all of this beyond a shadow of a doubt, despite how impossibly laughable this entire idea is.

For one thing, the planets move faster than the surrounding stars. How is this simple fact possible under the rotating prism explanation?

Furthermore, Venus travels in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of all the other planets.

With rudimentary knowledge of astronomy, this aspect of the denpressure theory becomes impossible very quickly to anyone who cares to learn about such things. Scepti clearly has never looked through a telescope, or he wouldn't have dreamed up such nonsense.

« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
I used the sand and the beach balls as analogies for sea level atmospheric pressure and evacuated pressure, respectively.
And you come out with that sidestep.

It's not a sidestep. I'm pointing out the flaws in your analogy. If a room is absolutely stuffed with beach balls with no empty space vain between them, movement through that room becomes impossible.

You want an answer to this. You'll get one when you can understand what's been said.
The above answer shows me that you are devoid of common sense.

Nice sidestep. Obviously you don't have an answer to the question, so you resort to your usual tactic of "you just wouldn't understand"

Who are you, my wife??

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #814 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
Look through a telescope. That's all I ask of you.

Go to an observatory and actually LOOK AT the moon. It is not a reflection, it is a 3 dimensional object with shadows cast upon it. If you ever took the time to actually observe the world around you there is no way you could possibly come to such an idiotic conclusion.
If you actually took the time to observe, you would not be jumping about championing a globe with light year stars...or maybe you would, assuming you are the real Bill Nye.

That's the thing, though, I have done a lot of observing, especially through a telescope. The cosmos is an infinitely amazing thing, and to sum it all up as simple reflections is shortsighted and foolish.

Again, look at the moon through a telescope. It is clearly a 3-dimensional object, not a reflection. Anybody with eyes and a telescope can see that plainly.
There's a reason why we only see one side of the supposed moon. It's because it isn't a physical body in the sky.

Go and boil your head I'm looking right at tthe moon just now.
The bloody ancients seen the moon just like this...how can it possibly be a projection?
There were no f in projectors in the Stone Age.
My god you are such an arse!
Who told you there was no projections in the stone age?
There's a massive projector in the centre of the cell you are existing in. It's called the sun and it also aids in projecting lesser light known to you as the moon.
The moon you see, you only see one side. You only see one side because it's a projection. A hologram. Not a real sky/space, body.

Your stars are reflected light. Everything you see in that sky in terms of so called stars or so called planets, etc are images.
Your telescope sees images because your telescope isn't as powerful as you think it is and does not see light year stars or distant planets. It sees dots of light more clearer.

You need to wake up.

« Reply #815 on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

Inertia is an abstract quality of matter that we have observed. An object needs a force applied to it in order to change velocity. Nothing more, nothing less.

Would you agree that, to throw a ball, I would need to apply some sort of force?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #816 on: January 10, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »

Nope. Your rocky moon in the sky/space is only available in science fiction stories.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #817 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
Up your game, markjo.
Inertia has not been proved and nobody knows what it is. The same goes with gravity.

How about you explain what's being demonstrated in this video if not inertia?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #818 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

Nope. Your rocky moon in the sky/space is only available in science fiction stories.

If it is the truth, then could you point out LITERALLY ANY OTHER naturally occurring graphite arc lamp?

Also, once again I beg of you, please PLEASE look at the moon through a telescope. It is rocky, jagged, and it has craters with shadows cast upon them. If you actually use a telescope to look at the moon, you will see this plainly.

No amount of foot stamping will make your hologram anything other than science fiction.

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #819 on: January 10, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »

Nope, it's available through my telescope.
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #820 on: January 10, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »

Inertia is an abstract quality of matter that we have observed. An object needs a force applied to it in order to change velocity. Nothing more, nothing less.

Would you agree that, to throw a ball, I would need to apply some sort of force?
Yes. So are you saying inertia is a force?
If so then what force is it that we can test out?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #821 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
Up your game, markjo.

Can you tell me what part is the inertia?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #822 on: January 10, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
If it is the truth, then could you point out LITERALLY ANY OTHER naturally occurring graphite arc lamp?
Also, once again I beg of you, please PLEASE look at the moon through a telescope. It is rocky, jagged, and it has craters with shadows cast upon them. If you actually use a telescope to look at the moon, you will see this plainly.
It's not a physical object in the sky.

No amount of foot stamping will make your hologram anything other than science fiction.
It's science fact. What you believe it is, is science fiction.

« Reply #823 on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »

Yes. So are you saying inertia is a force?
If so then what force is it that we can test out?

No. Inertia is not a force. It is an abstract idea that humans have attributed to all matter for centuries.

A ball resting on the ground will not move unless a force acts upon it. Once I kick the ball, a force has been exerted upon it. The direction, speed, and distance that the ball will travel is dependant upon force vectors. Many forces will act upon the ball until it finally comes to rest once more. Friction and drag are the most prevalent forces acting upon the ball, ebbing away at the ball's kinetic energy until the ball stops moving entirely.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #824 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
No. Inertia is not a force. It is an abstract idea that humans have attributed to all matter for centuries.
What is it that is attributed to all matter?

A ball resting on the ground will not move unless a force acts upon it. Once I kick the ball, a force has been exerted upon it. The direction, speed, and distance that the ball will travel is dependant upon force vectors. Many forces will act upon the ball until it finally comes to rest once more. Friction and drag are the most prevalent forces acting upon the ball, ebbing away at the ball's kinetic energy until the ball stops moving entirely.
You mention force, time and time and time again and yet  when I mention that inertia must be a force, you say it's an abstract idea.
Is it an idea about a force but the force is not really a force until someone applies a force to an object which still isn't inertia.

What is inertia?

« Reply #825 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »

Let's start simply, see if you can grasp this.

A ball is at rest, not moving, in the middle of a grassy field. Why is the ball at rest? What keeps the ball from moving?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #826 on: January 10, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »

A ball is at rest, not moving, in the middle of a grassy field. Why is the ball at rest? What keeps the ball from moving?
It's dense mass displacing the atmosphere it is under, which is keeping it clamped to the ground.

« Reply #827 on: January 10, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

It's dense mass displacing the atmosphere it is under, which is keeping it clamped to the ground.

Very good. There is a force that keeps objects planted firmly upon the ground. Since no other forces are acting upon the ball, we can say it is at rest. It will remain in its spot, unmoved, until another force acts upon it.

Agreed?

« Reply #828 on: January 10, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »

Very good. There is a force that keeps objects planted firmly upon the ground. Since no other forces are acting upon the ball, we can say it is at rest. It will remain in its spot, unmoved, until another force acts upon it.

Agreed?
And if it is on some scales then the reading will not vary, even if the atmospheric pressure does.

« Reply #829 on: January 10, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

Agreed?
And if it is on some scales then the reading will not vary, even if the atmospheric pressure does.

Let's stay focused. We are talking about a ball in a field, no scales, no variances in atmospheric pressure.

Now, if a ball is in a field, held in place by the surrounding atmospheric pressure, it can be said to be at rest.

Are we agreed?

« Reply #830 on: January 10, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »

I'm not wanting to confuse matters, but strictly there are two forces acting on the ball - gravity (or denpressure/whatever) and the reaction force from the ground. These forces are equal and in opposite directions so the net force on the ball is zero, which is why it stays still.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:50:33 PM by Copper Knickers »

« Reply #831 on: January 10, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Are you a fan of David Icke by chance? Just askin'.
Nope. I'm a fan of Newcastle United football club, though, if that helps.

Moving onto my questions about your denpressure 'model', the only inference I can come up with in regards to my golf ball experiment is that you believe that the ball will stop moving the instant the club stops making contact with the ball. Is this a correct assertion? Do you really believe that?
I never said that at all. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this.
Are you mixing it up with me saying that the ball is under maximum acceleration once the club stops making contact?

Regarding the bowling ball example I hypothesized, since it hasn't displaced any atmosphere directly below where it's about to be dropped, what will the bowling do? Float? Still drop for some reason?  ??? ???
It will still drop because the ball was lifted unnaturally, meaning it's raised and held by an energy force.
It's now potential energy as we perceive it.

If air pressure isn't pushing the ball down then what is?
Atmospheric pressure is still doing it, only it's against less resistance.
The mere fact that you believe there's a vacuum involved means you will never get it.
Once you understand that there's no such thing as a vacuum and there is always atmospheric pressure, the sooner you have a chance to grasp what's happening.
Even though the pressure in the chamber is minimal, it is still slightly greater at the bottom. So why is the ball pushed down?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #832 on: January 10, 2017, 02:38:49 PM »

Agreed?
Apart from the vibrations and friction acting upon it that we do not readily perceive, I'll go along with what you say for the sake or harmony.

Agreed.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #833 on: January 10, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »

Agreed?
Try again.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #834 on: January 10, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »

Moving onto my questions about your denpressure 'model', the only inference I can come up with in regards to my golf ball experiment is that you believe that the ball will stop moving the instant the club stops making contact with the ball. Is this a correct assertion? Do you really believe that?
Are you mixing it up with me saying that the ball is under maximum acceleration once the club stops making contact?

Regarding the bowling ball example I hypothesized, since it hasn't displaced any atmosphere directly below where it's about to be dropped, what will the bowling do? Float? Still drop for some reason?  ??? ???
It will still drop because the ball was lifted unnaturally, meaning it's raised and held by an energy force.

The mere fact that you believe there's a vacuum involved means you will never get it.
Once you understand that there's no such thing as a vacuum and there is always atmospheric pressure, the sooner you have a chance to grasp what's happening.
Even though the pressure in the chamber is minimal, it is still slightly greater at the bottom. So why is the ball pushed down?
Because you're not understanding the 'slightly greater at the bottom' when you think about my model.
You need to understand what stacked is and why it's stacked.
I've explained it many times, so now it's up to you to grasp it.

« Reply #835 on: January 10, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

Because you're not understanding the 'slightly greater at the bottom' when you think about my model.
You need to understand what stacked is and why it's stacked.
I've explained it many times, so now it's up to you to grasp it.
You haven't so much explained as simply stated it.  I'm no scientist or genius but I do have above average intelligence.  I really don't think you have explained that well.  The questions I'm asking are based on your explanation.  I am truly trying to understand.

« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2017, 04:38:33 PM »

Agreed?
Apart from the vibrations and friction acting upon it that we do not readily perceive, I'll go along with what you say for the sake or harmony.

Agreed.

You are correct! At the molecular level, the particles that make up the ball are vibrating. In a very literal sense, nothing can ever truly be fully "at rest," unless it has achieved absolute zero. For the purposes of explaining inertia, however, let us assume the ball is at rest.

This means, as Copper Knickers astutely pointed out, that zero net forces are acting upon the ball. The downward push of air pressure is equally met by the ground, leaving the ball with zero net forces.

In order to move the ball, some other force needs to be exerted upon it. Let's say a little boy runs up and kicks the ball as hard as he can. What happens now?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
Up your game, markjo.

The parts where the objects at rest stay at rest and the objects in motion stay in motion.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2017, 11:57:07 PM »

You are correct! At the molecular level, the particles that make up the ball are vibrating. In a very literal sense, nothing can ever truly be fully "at rest," unless it has achieved absolute zero. For the purposes of explaining inertia, however, let us assume the ball is at rest.

This means, as Copper Knickers astutely pointed out, that zero net forces are acting upon the ball. The downward push of air pressure is equally met by the ground, leaving the ball with zero net forces.

In order to move the ball, some other force needs to be exerted upon it. Let's say a little boy runs up and kicks the ball as hard as he can. What happens now?
He'd most probably break his leg and foot due to the prank you pulled in painting an iron ball in the colours of a football. Naughty naughty.  ;D

Ok, on a serious note, the ball would move.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:00 AM »
Up your game, markjo.

The parts where the objects at rest stay at rest and the objects in motion stay in motion.
Yes, for the sake of harmony I'm going along with the 'at rest' part and accepting of it as an abstract idea as was pointed out.
It still doesn't make it anything but I'm willing to see where it goes.

As for staying in motion. This cannot happen unless there is a constant force applied, always to keep something in constant motion.
You can't just push something in any environment and believe it will carry on with that same speed. It can never happen no matter how dressed up it becomes.