Air Pressure vs Gravity

• 1933 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Air Pressure vs Gravity
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »

The only thing that is important is the magnitude of the force and the mass as per F=Ma

There is no force creating a resistance unless you are trying to describe net force. In case it is just the combination of all the different forces acting on an object. A typical example being a coin pushed on a table. The net force would be the force from the push less force due to friction with the table.
What force is upon the coin that creates the resistance to the push?

In the example I just gave if you read it.

Force 1: a push e.g. My finger
Force 2: friction with table.

If force 1 is greater than force 2 the coin accelerates.
To create friction  to the table before the push, what force is acting on the mass of the coin?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #751 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
Scepti, you're trying to make inertia more complicated than it really is.

Inertia is not a force.  Inertia is simply the property of mass to resist change in motion.

It's like asking "why is milk wet?"  Does not having a fundamental understanding of wetness stop anyone from pouring milk on their breakfast cereal or using it in their cake mix?
I'm not trying to make anything complicated, quite the opposite in fact.
The problem is I'm getting told that inertia is a property of mass to resist change in motion.
All I'm asking is, what is the resistance to that change?
There has to be a force to create a resistance to change. What is the force?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #752 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
I think he struggles with real world examples where drag and friction are present.
I'm only struggling because you won't answer what causes the drag and friction. Something has to be causing it.
I've already explained mine, why can't you explain yours?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #753 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
Because energy was applied to elevate it and that displaced atmosphere by the object has just become a weaker resistance to it.

I've asked you this before, but why only in the downward direction? Am I not displacing atmosphere by walking forward? Clearly I am in your model because all molecules are stacked in every direction from the dome, yet the atmosphere doesn't push me back like it does when I jump up. Why? What's the difference here? This of course applies to any direction that isn't up, too. For instance, I can throw a ball at say a 45o angle which is again displacing atmosphere but it doesn't come back to me, it just keeps on going as far as its momentum will take it whilst eventually falling to the earth.

In your above response to the evacuated chamber experiment, what if the balls weren't directly hoisted up like they were and instead they were vertically lifted from, say, 10m from where they will ultimately be dropped? What would happen here? To elucidate, this would mean they haven't displaced any atmosphere directly below them, they've been taken to that spot from a horizontal position several meters away. What happens when they're let go?

Also, another question: Let's say we're in the same evacuated chamber with the pressure extremely low (eg. 1x10-10pa). We've set up a golf ball on a tee with an automated swinging arm holding a golf club. What happens to the ball when the club/arm makes contact?
I'd love to explain it to you but from what you've just said there, considering the years I've spent explaining and using all kinds of analogies and you haven't grasped any of it.

It feels like I'm talking to programmed robots.
Come back to me when you can show the ability to think away from your program.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #754 on: January 09, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
Scepti, you're trying to make inertia more complicated than it really is.

Inertia is not a force.  Inertia is simply the property of mass to resist change in motion.

It's like asking "why is milk wet?"  Does not having a fundamental understanding of wetness stop anyone from pouring milk on their breakfast cereal or using it in their cake mix?
I'm not trying to make anything complicated, quite the opposite in fact.
The problem is I'm getting told that inertia is a property of mass to resist change in motion.
All I'm asking is, what is the resistance to that change?
Inertia.

There has to be a force to create a resistance to change. What is the force?
Inertia is what an object does when there are no forces acting on it.

An object is sitting on a table and has no forces applied to it.  What happens?

An object is sliding along a very slippery surface and no forces are applied to it.  What happens?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #755 on: January 09, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
That makes absolutely no rational sense at all.
it always has a force applied to it, that's why it's on the table in the first place.
An object is sliding along a very slippery surface and no forces are applied to it.  What happens?
If it's sliding it has forces applied to it. So what now?

« Reply #756 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
it always has a force applied to it, that's why it's on the table in the first place.
And that force is gravity.  Look it up.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #757 on: January 09, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Ok, so tell me what gravity is as a force.

« Reply #758 on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
Again, look it up.  You seem to want to play this game with people when, if you were serious, you would look up what you wanted to know.  You just want people to reply so you can disagree.  Maybe you need the human contact.

Is there anybody who agrees with your ideas?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #759 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Hmm...  We might be having a difference of opinion as to the definition of "rational".

An object at rest stays at rest until a force acts on it.
An object in motion stays in motion in the same direction and speed until a force acts on it.

How can anyone state that any more simply or clearly?

*sigh* You can imagine invisible molecules expanding to fill an evacuated chamber but you can't imagine an object just sitting on a table with no forces acting on it.  ::)

Someone kicked the object to get it sliding on the very slippery ice.  In fact, the ice is so slippery, that it can be said to offer no resistance at all.  We are also going to assume that there is no resistance from air or anything else acting on the object.  What will the object do?

« Reply #760 on: January 09, 2017, 10:25:25 AM »
I think he struggles with real world examples where drag and friction are present.
I'm only struggling because you won't answer what causes the drag and friction. Something has to be causing it.
I've already explained mine, why can't you explain yours?

Friction is just the surface of two objects physically interacting with each other due to roughness.

Drag is friction but caused by fluid flowing over a surface.

In basic terms it is the individual atoms and molecules physically impacting each other 
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

« Reply #761 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »

Objects are attracted to each other.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #762 on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
Builders think their buildings are square just because they used the Pythagorean Theorem and/or cross-squared. What a load of crap. That doesn't prove a thing. There is no way to make a building square. Those stupid formula methods don't mean shit. At the end of the day it boils down to a rough guess at best. The only reason the trusses fit is because they are made of the same material as the walls (often wood) and so have the same density. Because of this, atmospheric pressure guarantees they will fit nicely.

But go ahead and believe the fairy tales you've been brainwashed into believing your whole life. It's all part of a conspiracy and you sheeple happily drink the kool-aid! Pythagorean Theorem! What a laugh!

Give your head a shake.
It's as if you people ... need to show the onlookers that you are smart by parroting.  :P

It actually doesn't take a lot of smarts.  I thought it was fairly accurate though. LOL
Try thinking for yourself instead of acting like a robot among robots under mass programming.

Is that why every FEer has to have their own theory? Because above all else they fear that accepting anyone's word for anything will put them in a position where they could be perceived as sheeple or mindless robots?
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #763 on: January 09, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
A force is always acting upon it and it is never at rest.

An object in motion stays in motion in the same direction and speed until a force acts on it.
It can only stay in motion if a force is already acting upon it and that force must be constant to keep it in motion in the same direction and speed.
Because it's not a truth in what you are stating. It's gobbledegook dressed up as something that means something. It means nothing because it does not and can not, happen.

*sigh* You can imagine invisible molecules expanding to fill an evacuated chamber but you can't imagine an object just sitting on a table with no forces acting on it.  ::)
I can deduce what's happening to objects by that very thought. It makes rational sense and is a definite theory that makes sense.
Your indoctrinated one makes no sense at all.

Someone kicked the object to get it sliding on the very slippery ice.  In fact, the ice is so slippery, that it can be said to offer no resistance at all.
Impossible. If there was no resistance, there is no motion. Seriously think about what I've just said.

We are also going to assume that there is no resistance from air or anything else acting on the object.  What will the object do?
The object would not exist under those circumstances and nor would anything else.
You have just lost all existence.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #764 on: January 09, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Friction is just the surface of two objects physically interacting with each other due to roughness.
But why are they interacting with each other? What is the reason?
So drag is resistance. So what causes resistance?
I
n basic terms it is the individual atoms and molecules physically impacting each other
And what causes them to physically impact each other to create anything that you perceive?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #765 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »

Why are they attracted to each other. What makes it happen?

« Reply #766 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »

Answer that and you win a Nobel prize.

« Reply #767 on: January 09, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
I
n basic terms it is the individual atoms and molecules physically impacting each other
And what causes them to physically impact each other to create anything that you perceive?

When two objects collide then they interact. The roughness of surfaces means that two objects sliding over each other will encounter lots of impacts that can be grouped together as friction.

« Reply #768 on: January 09, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
A force is always acting upon it and it is never at rest.

It can only stay in motion if a force is already acting upon it and that force must be constant to keep it in motion in the same direction and speed.
Because it's not a truth in what you are stating. It's gobbledegook dressed up as something that means something. It means nothing because it does not and can not, happen.

I can deduce what's happening to objects by that very thought. It makes rational sense and is a definite theory that makes sense.

Someone kicked the object to get it sliding on the very slippery ice.  In fact, the ice is so slippery, that it can be said to offer no resistance at all.
Impossible. If there was no resistance, there is no motion. Seriously think about what I've just said.

We are also going to assume that there is no resistance from air or anything else acting on the object.  What will the object do?
The object would not exist under those circumstances and nor would anything else.
You have just lost all existence.

Yes it is true that an object will always have forces acting upon it but it is important to be able to identify what happens when a force doesn't act. This can be used to simplify a situation to first principles and analyse each individual force acting on an object.

Take an example of an object dropping through still air - they are forces acting vertically through the object i.e. Gravity, drag, air resistance and buoyancy. However there are no forces acting laterally on the object. Therefore if no force is acting on the object then it will not accelerate sideways and continue to fall perfectly vertically.

Why can an object not have motion if there is no resistance?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #769 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Is that why every FEer has to have their own theory? Because above all else they fear that accepting anyone's word for anything will put them in a position where they could be perceived as sheeple or mindless robots?
It makes people individuals in terms of thought. It means that people have the ability to think for themselves.
It means that the preferred path that is made available to them does not have to be the chosen path by their own choice, unless forcibly pushed into that path by all means necessary.

You people follow one theory about your Earth system. You do it without question. You also join the bandwagon of attempted ridicule, because it's simply much less fuss to do just that.
It's true. It is much less fuss.

If someone tells me that a Labrador with a big curly wig on it is a Lion, I'm going to question it.
If I ask to get a closer look and I'm told I can't because it's too dangerous, then I have to make a choice as to what the animal most resembles.
If I call it a Labrador in a wig and get laughed at by a crowd that was told it was a Lion, then I'm already pissing against the wind...but what do I do?
If I can deduce that it's a Labrador in a big curly wig then I have to either stand my ground and be ridiculed or just pretend I made an error and join the masses.

This is what this globe crap is and I stand by my Labrador with a wig on.

Of course, it's a Lion to you. ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR wuff ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  :P

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #770 on: January 09, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »

Answer that and you win a Nobel prize.
I have answered it and they can stick the nobbled prize where the sun don't shine.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #771 on: January 09, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
I

When two objects collide then they interact. The roughness of surfaces means that two objects sliding over each other will encounter lots of impacts that can be grouped together as friction.
Try again and this time explain it with matter that is all attached like all matter is.
If you do a good job, it'll save me the effort of explaining it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #772 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
[quote author=Mainframes link=topic=68654.msg1857110#msg1857110 date=1483988068

Yes it is true that an object will always have forces acting upon it but it is important to be able to identify what happens when a force doesn't act. This can be used to simplify a situation to first principles and analyse each individual force acting on an object.

Take an example of an object dropping through still air - they are forces acting vertically through the object i.e. Gravity, drag, air resistance and buoyancy. However there are no forces acting laterally on the object. Therefore if no force is acting on the object then it will not accelerate sideways and continue to fall perfectly vertically.

Why can an object not have motion if there is no resistance?
[/quote]Because for every action there has to be an equal and opposite reaction. Has to be. No if's of but's.

All action is friction and all reaction to action is friction.
Take away the friction and you switch off life in all forms.
This is why we have to get a little bit more realistic and stop relying on silly crap like gravity and space with scattered particles of matter.
It's nonsense and should be seen for it, instead of argued in favour of it.

« Reply #773 on: January 09, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
I

Try again and this time explain it with matter that is all attached like all matter is.
If you do a good job, it'll save me the effort of explaining it.

Matter is connected through EM inter and intra molecular bonds.

« Reply #774 on: January 09, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
Because for every action there has to be an equal and opposite reaction. Has to be. No if's of but's.

Action - my finger creates force on object and gives it velocity.
Reaction - my finger is slowed down by pushing the object

Simple. The object is now free to slide along the surface it is on. In a real world example friction with the surface would eventually slow it down. If the surface was perfectly smooth and caused no friction then it would continue to slide at the same velocity until some other force acted on it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:03:39 PM by Mainframes »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #775 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
Have you ever heard of the idea of starting simple and then adding to it?

Well, that's what I'm trying to do with you.  I'm trying to explain using examples that are as simple as possible.  I agree that these over simplified examples do not reflect the real world.  Guess what.  They aren't supposed to.  They are an attempt to get the basic idea of inertia across.  That's why inertia is Newton's first law - because the second law builds on the first and the third builds on the second.

In order to understand inertia in its simplest form, you have to strip away everything until you get to the simplest example - an object at rest with no forces acting upon it.  It doesn't matter that this can never happen in the real world.  It only matters that you can picture it in your mind and understand that if no forces are applied to that object, then the object will not change what it's doing (just sitting there).

The same idea for the object in motion.  If an imaginary object is in motion and there are no forces acting on it, then why should it stop moving?

I think that we may be using different definitions of the word "resistance".  To me (and most of the rest of the world), resistance is a force that opposes motion.  For example, friction is a common force of resistance.  As I said earlier, it is quite common to imagine an environment where there is no friction or any other type of resistance in order to simplify the situation and get the basic point across.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:57:40 PM by markjo »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #776 on: January 09, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
Because for every action there has to be an equal and opposite reaction. Has to be. No if's of but's.

Simple. The object is now free to slide along the surface it is on. In a real world example friction with the surface would eventually slow it down. If the surface was perfectly smooth and caused no friction then it would continue to slide at the same velocity until some other force acted on it.
Like I said before, to you. No friction means no existence. You really need to understand this before attempting to use it in any future correspondence.

« Reply #777 on: January 09, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »

Like I said before, to you. No friction means no existence. You really need to understand this before attempting to use it in any future correspondence.
[/quote

No friction...no existance....is that you refuting your your love affair with your right hand? Or are you expressing some deeper understanding of physics?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #778 on: January 09, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
It makes people individuals in terms of thought. It means that people have the ability to think for themselves.
But the earth is only one shape and things fall down for one reason or combination of reasons.
You people follow one theory about your Earth system.
Mostly true. But there is only one truth so where we do diverge, someone must be in error.
You do it without question.
Absolutely false.
You also join the bandwagon of attempted ridicule, because it's simply much less fuss to do just that.
It's true. It is much less fuss.

You on the other hand, don't so much attempt to ridicule as just blatantly and rudely do so. The only one I've seen who, more arrogantly insults more people more often than you, is Heiwa.

If someone tells me that a Labrador with a big curly wig on it is a Lion, I'm going to question it.
If I ask to get a closer look and I'm told I can't because it's too dangerous, then I have to make a choice as to what the animal most resembles.
If I call it a Labrador in a wig and get laughed at by a crowd that was told it was a Lion, then I'm already pissing against the wind...but what do I do?
If I can deduce that it's a Labrador in a big curly wig then I have to either stand my ground and be ridiculed or just pretend I made an error and join the masses.

This is what this globe crap is and I stand by my Labrador with a wig on.

Of course, it's a Lion to you. ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR wuff ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  :P
Most people questions thing to some degree or other before reaching a conclusion. Many would like to think they have been a little more objective and searched a little further than the next guy. You are not special in this regard. But at the end of the day, it is either a lion or a labrador or a bear or a dingo or ... We can't all come to independent conclusions in order to be "thinking for ourselves. Well we can, but we certainly can't all be right.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #779 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »

Have you ever heard of the idea of starting simple and then adding to it?

Well, that's what I'm trying to do with you.  I'm trying to explain using examples that are as simple as possible.  I agree that these over simplified examples do not reflect the real world.  Guess what.  They aren't supposed to.  They are an attempt to get the basic idea of inertia across.  That's why inertia is Newton's first law - because the second law builds on the first and the third builds on the second.
Mainstream can have the word, inertia but it has to be explained as to what it is an d not just passed off as a property of mass that means absolutely nothing.
You can build on something that does not exist as anything meaningful.

In order to understand inertia in its simplest form, you have to strip away everything until you get to the simplest example - an object at rest with no forces acting upon it.  It doesn't matter that this can never happen in the real world.  It only matters that you can picture it in your mind and understand that if no forces are applied to that object, then the object will not change what it's doing (just sitting there).
It does matter. It matters a great deal.
It only doesn't matter if we use it as mere fantasy and keep it as that, without even trying to bring any of it into a real life theoretical scientific context.
The fact that we require it to be in real time, means we need to explain it with real life observations and senses.
Now you need to understand that there is never an instance in our lives on/in Earth where we can experience anything completely at rest, because everything is vibrating and vibration is friction.

The same idea for the object in motion.  If an imaginary object is in motion and there are no forces acting on it, then why should it stop moving?
If there are no forces acting up on anything then there is no movement or vibration/friction meaning no life, meaning no Earth cell. Nothing.

I think that we may be using different definitions of the word "resistance".  To me (and most of the rest of the world), resistance is a force that opposes motion.  For example, friction is a common force of resistance.  As I said earlier, it is quite common to imagine an environment where there is no friction or any other type of resistance in order to simplify the situation and get the basic point across.
You can't simplify the situation to that extreme fantasy, as I mentioned above.
Friction is resistance no matter how it's brushed up.
One objects resistance is another objects friction.
Energy is friction and vibration and to make energy, something has to be resisted.

For every action no matter what, no matter where...there is always an equal and opposite reaction to that action. Always equal and never more nor less.