Can someone explain this?

• 6 Replies
?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
Can someone explain this?
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »
Why does this site have a diagram that states gravity came before light and matter? How can gravity exist before matter if massive objects are what create gravity? And on top of that it is only a theory, how can it be the basis of the universe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Solar_System_formation_and_evolution_hypotheses

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Can someone explain this?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »
Why does this site have a diagram that states gravity came before light and matter?

It doesn't state that gravity came before matter.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:57:53 AM »
You misunderstand what a theory is when you say "only a theory."

You also misunderstand the difference between reality, and the explanation of said reality. A theory isn't the basis of the universe. It's an explanation of a specific phenomenon.

Triangles

• Forgot my old account, but i'm back.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:08:36 AM »
Why does this site have a diagram that states gravity came before light and matter? How can gravity exist before matter if massive objects are what create gravity? And on top of that it is only a theory, how can it be the basis of the universe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Solar_System_formation_and_evolution_hypotheses

It doesn't...it says DARK matter after gravity. It does say gravity before light, but that makes sense.
Quote from:  rabinoz
::) Sandokhanian Science  ::).
Ah yes, I majored in this.

gg1gamer

• time enjoyed wasting is not wasted
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I quickly browsed through the titles and noticed the following 2 words a lot: hypothesis and theory.

If we go to the cambridge dictionary:

hypothesis: an idea or explanation for something that is based on known facts but has not yet been proved
theory: a formal statement of the rules on which a subject of study is based or of ideas that are suggested to explain a fact or event or, more generally, an opinion or explanation

Did you actually read that wiki-page yourself?  Or did you do some selective reading?   (My last 2 questions were off-topic, feel free to ignore them)

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
Didn't read the page, if it states gravity came before matter I think you will find it says the four fundamental forces existed moments after the big bang. Which is a little different.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:24:54 PM »

I'm no particular fan of all the "origin" hypotheses, but they make interesting reading.

But gravitation is not only caused only by mass, but by mass + energy/c2 and (I as a very non-physicist) would think that sum remains constant.

So, no problem.