Ole RÝmer

• 3 Replies
Ole RÝmer
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:30:35 AM »
So, today's Google doodle celebrates the 340th anniversary of Ole RÝmer's (somewhat approximate) determination of the speed of light by observing the eclipses of Jupiter's moon Io.

Is there a flat earth model under which this would have been possible - by which I mean not just the observations of Io, but also the application of the geometry of the solar system then to approximate the speed of light? Or was the hapless Dane fooled into thinking he was doing something he wasn't?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Ole RÝmer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »
So, today's Google doodle celebrates the 340th anniversary of Ole RÝmer's (somewhat approximate) determination of the speed of light by observing the eclipses of Jupiter's moon Io.

Is there a flat earth model under which this would have been possible - by which I mean not just the observations of Io, but also the application of the geometry of the solar system then to approximate the speed of light? Or was the hapless Dane fooled into thinking he was doing something he wasn't?
Flat Earth Astronomer = Oxymoron

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:12:21 AM »
To most flat earthers, the night sky is nothing but lights God lit in order to guide us. No need to observe them closely, right?

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »

So no comments, FE'ers? Any model in which this was a reasonable thing to do? Any evidence Hr. RÝmer's deduction was invalid? This is beginning to look like yet another victory for the RE!!