The Real Question

• 26 Replies
The Real Question
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
I have been lurking for a while.  Reading information pertaining to FET posted on this sight (a few others) and in the forums.

I have a problem with some of the presumed intellectual superiority, and condensation demonstrated by opponents of FET.

I think that the most common theme in FET is religious in nature.  Based on what I have read here and other places. I conclude that the vast majority of Flat Earthers are more comfortable reconciling reality to the bible than subjugating the good book to the confines of science.  Mainstream religion is intergrating science into it's belief system.  I think a majority of religious (christian, not sure how muslims feel about this) people are coming around to the intelligent design perspective.  Not to say that creationist are not still around but most of the ones i have meet in person do not feel compelled to defend their belief.   

I'm a live and let live atheist.  If a person finds comfort in religious belief and ritual and it does not negatively effect me, than i say good for them.  I am more interested in exactly what and why most people believe what they do than in changing their mind. 

I am having a hard time with figuring out why most of the opponents of FET even bother to make posts trying to dissuade believers.  How is this belief effecting them an any level?  I say leave these people to their own devises.   The belief that they are the target of a vast world wide conspiracy has to be difficult to reconcile even with a strong belief in the bible.  I have found that a lot of people have the tendency to be defiant just because that may be the only real control or power that they have. 

I think the more FE believers are left alone to ponder the enormity of the what FE belief entails, the more it unravels.

I am quite aware my punctuation and spelling is abhorrent. 
Please excuse mistakes, i'm to tired to proof.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: The Real Question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
I have been lurking for a while.  Reading information pertaining to FET posted on this site (a few others) and in the forums.

I have a problem with some of the presumed intellectual superiority, and condensation demonstrated by opponents of FET.

I think that the most common theme in FET is religious in nature.  Based on what I have read here and other places. I conclude that the vast majority of Flat Earthers are more comfortable reconciling reality to the bible than subjugating the good book to the confines of science.  Mainstream religion is intergrating science into it's belief system.  I think a majority of religious (christian, not sure how muslims feel about this) people are coming around to the intelligent design perspective.  Not to say that creationist are not still around but most of the ones I have met in person do not feel compelled to defend their belief.   

I'm a live and let live atheist.  If a person finds comfort in religious belief and ritual and it does not negatively effect me, than I say good for them.  I am more interested in exactly what and why most people believe what they do than in changing their mind. 

I am having a hard time with figuring out why most of the opponents of FET even bother to make posts trying to dissuade believers.  How is this belief effecting them an any level?  I say leave these people to their own devises.   The belief that they are the target of a vast world wide conspiracy has to be difficult to reconcile even with a strong belief in the bible.  I have found that a lot of people have the tendency to be defiant just because that may be the only real control or power that they have. 

I think the more FE believers are left alone to ponder the enormity of the what FE belief entails, the more it unravels.

Please excuse mistakes, I'm too tired to proof.
Your punctuation and spelling are better than most here, but I did "proof it" - only trivial mistakes, and most of us do much worse.

I might add more later on Christian (and Creationist) and Muslim views, but for now:

I'm not here actually trying to convince convinced Flat Earth erst that the Earth is a Globe, no hope if that.
I am concerned mainly with the "refugees" from the abysmally inaccurate YouTube videos. It's nearly hopeless to try attacking them with comments to their videos - the videos are too long and wrong to do that.

There are a lot more videos coming out "Debunking the Flat Earth", but that's not something I could do.

So, I try here.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »

I think you were clever to save the put down for the end.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:48:47 PM by Bullwinkle »

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
Define: lurking for a while. 

Most people in my personal life who believe FET is something on the order of a religious cult know very little about the earth they live on from the view of science and they know absolutely zero about FET.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
...and condensation demonstrated by opponents of FET.

Condescension, dear.

I am having a hard time with figuring out why most of the opponents of FET even bother to make posts trying to dissuade believers.

Seems like you answered your own question:

I am more interested in exactly what and why most people believe what they do than in changing their mind.

Sometimes the best way to figure out why people believe what they believe is to challenge those beliefs. Well, perhaps there are better ways. But this is the most amusing way.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:18 PM »
I have been lurking for a while.  Reading information pertaining to FET posted on this sight (a few others) and in the forums.

I think that the most common theme in FET is religious in nature.  Based on what I have read here and other places. I conclude that the vast majority of Flat Earthers are more comfortable reconciling reality to the bible than subjugating the good book to the confines of science.  Mainstream religion is intergrating science into it's belief system.  I think a majority of religious (christian, not sure how muslims feel about this) people are coming around to the intelligent design perspective.  Not to say that creationist are not still around but most of the ones i have meet in person do not feel compelled to defend their belief.   

I'm a live and let live atheist.  If a person finds comfort in religious belief and ritual and it does not negatively effect me, than i say good for them.  I am more interested in exactly what and why most people believe what they do than in changing their mind. 

Please excuse mistakes, i'm to tired to proof.

It sounds like you know nothing about religion. I do not know many other truly religious people though, so I can't blame you.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »
I, for one, am not religious.  I hate it when you liberal snowflakes make suck generalizations about a minority group.  You and your pres candicant  can burn in hell for all I care.

Another victory for the FE!

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »
I, for one, am not religious.  I hate it when you liberal snowflakes make suck generalizations about a minority group.  You and your pres candicant  can burn in hell for all I care.

Generalizations like this?

I would take you up on your money, if I thought you stinking roundies were good for the money,  :::)

I think you stinking flat jacks are a bunch of religious  blowhards! 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:18:09 AM by Boots »
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 01:05:56 AM »

Keep waving that flag,  white suits you.   Don't forget flat earthers are not a minority,  they are everywhere. 
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 05:15:37 AM »
I forgot to mention that satire just whizzes while it flies over your heads.  lol

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 05:31:43 AM »

Condescension, dear.

I have been yet again victimized by spellcheck

Thanks for the correction

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:30 AM »

Most people in my personal life who believe FET is something on the order of a religious cult know very little about the earth they live on from the view of science and they know absolutely zero about FET.

I do not think FE believers are a cult. 
I think that FET better fits into a more literal interpretation of the bible.

this is a short list of what i think FET consists of, please feel free to add to it or correct.

- Earth is flat disk with north pole in the center
- Antarctica is actually an ice wall that rings the southern oceans
- Common observations of sun/moon disappearing around the curve of the earth are explained as a function of distance, light refraction and optical illusion.
- Gravity is non existent. 
- The plane of earth is under constant acceleration giving a sense of gravity (this was worded badly, but i hope the meaning is clear)
- There is a firmament that separates the deepest part of the oceans with the void under the plane of earth.
- There is also a firmament that separates the sky from the void above.
- These firmaments cannot be crossed.
- Some FETers believe that we can cross the ice wall, and that the plane extends into infinity.
- Some EFTers believe that there is void beyond the wall.
- Some EFTers believe that there are other oceans and continents beyond the wall.
- FET believers entertain the idea that there is a multi government/corporate conspiracy to hide the fact that the earth is flat.  The main purpose of which is to maintain a non critically thinking population and at the same time be able to redirect enormous amounts of money. (to who i do not know)

Please let me know what i am missing.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
I forgot to mention that satire just whizzes while it flies over your heads.  lol

To be fair, your "satire" is basically the same as all... 31000... of your other posts. Unless of course ALL your posts are satire, in which case I appeal to this work of art:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:11:57 AM by TotesReptilian »

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

To be fair, your "satire" is basically the same as all... 31000... of your other posts. Unless of course ALL your posts are satire, in which case I appeal to this work of art:

Another win for GE!
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »
Some flat earthers are motivated by religion.  I would say those guys are underrepresented here.

Some rounders do come here just to hassle the flatties.  That's just people being assholes.  Some rounders are here just to figure out why flat earthers believe what they believe.

Finally, for all the newcomers here, jroa is not a flat earther.  He's a rounder who pretends to be a flat earther because he likes to troll people.  This is obvious when you look at his posting history.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »

this is a short list of what i think FET consists of, please feel free to add to it or correct.

Did you literally interpret this short list from the bible?  Hmmm....

A shit ton.  I estimate there are 1000's of proofs the earth is not a globe.  I learn of a new one almost every day.

Here is a semi recent post by John Davis:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67919.0

Also I would suggest you watch Eric Dubay's 200 proofs the earth is not a globe.

I know the attackers will be here like white on rice any second now.  You have to wonder why?  Could it be they see this as a real threat to the globe model they are so desperate to cling to and protect? hmmm.....

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »
Some flat earthers are motivated by religion.  I would say those guys are underrepresented here.

Some rounders do come here just to hassle the flatties.  That's just people being assholes.  Some rounders are here just to figure out why flat earthers believe what they believe.

Finally, for all the newcomers here, jroa is not a flat earther.  He's a rounder who pretends to be a flat earther because he likes to troll people.  This is obvious when you look at his posting history.

Like some RE's , I just come here , not necessarily to hassle the FE's, but posting facts and evidence seems to hassle them.
Also for entertainment from the weird fe ideas.
I think these two FES websites are just spoofs anyway and not to be taken seriously.
Anyone with any amount of education and/or experience should know that the earth is a globe ....or a "round earth" anyway.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »

Like some RE's , I just come here , not necessarily to hassle the FE's, but posting facts and evidence seems to hassle them.
Also for entertainment from the weird fe ideas.
I think these two FES websites are just spoofs anyway and not to be taken seriously.
Anyone with any amount of education and/or experience should know that the earth is a globe ....or a "round earth" anyway.

It's almost like clock work, guys like this will pop into the thread and say something like "This is a joke" or "Everyone knows the earth is a globe" 

Its very effective against noobs who cannot or more importantly 'will not' think for themselves.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »

Condescension, dear.

Some of them do cry a lot  :P

Lots of the religious FE are on YouTube. We've never had lots of religious FE here (but they are welcome).

If you, Fist of Nee, are here to learn more about the FES and what we believe, then you are also welcome. Some of the best people here are RE!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

A shit ton.  I estimate there are 1000's of proofs the earth is not a globe.  I learn of a new one almost every day.

Also I would suggest you watch Eric Dubay's 200 proofs the earth is not a globe.

I know the attackers will be here like white on rice any second now.  You have to wonder why?  Could it be they see this as a real threat to the globe model they are so desperate to cling to and protect? hmmm.....

That short list was not meant to be a cumulative list of proofs for FET, just my basic understanding of how FET works.  I did not extrapolate that list from the bible.  I was just trying to articulate my basic understanding of FET, not make anyone prove FET.  If i am missing an important part of FET please fill me in.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.  I think the whole idea of FET is very odd, and interesting. 

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »

That short list was not meant to be a cumulative list of proofs for FET, just my basic understanding of how FET works.  I did not extrapolate that list from the bible.  I was just trying to articulate my basic understanding of FET, not make anyone prove FET.  If i am missing an important part of FET please fill me in.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.  I think the whole idea of FET is very odd, and interesting.

I'm working my way through the video.

It seemed at first the guy who made it just did not have a good grasp of physics and how gravity works.  He has several quotes from 19th century engineers concerning flat/round earth that support the FET but with bad data from poor understanding of gravity and physics.

Around item number 37 or so 22:14 min in.  The film becomes intellectually dishonest.  He reports incorrectly that the ship Challenger circled Antarctica for 69,000 miles.  The entire 3 year circumnavigation was 69,000 years.  He does this again when reporting on Cook's 2nd expedition where he suggests that the expedition sailed along the ice wall for 63,000 miles when in actuality that was the length of the entire voyage.

He mentioned some distance inconsistencies that actually look promising for FET.
I'll not discount the entire film until i have seen it all.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
I managed to sit through about 20 more min of that film.
My free time does have it's limits and in light if it's dishonesty it is not worth my time.

Having said that there are a few aspects of that film i did not research and will not say that they are incorrect. 
But what i did bother to look up was not only wrong but was presented in the film dishonestly. 
In example:
The distances Cpt Cook and other explorers circled the "Ice Wall"

The six mile long canal experiment with telescope

shorter flight paths (vs common travel/flight hubs not even mentioned)

Would anyone care to recommend an intellectually honest FET YouTube video?

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
My free time does have it's limits and in light if it's dishonesty it is not worth my time.

Having said that there are a few aspects of that film i did not research and will not say that they are incorrect. 
But what i did bother to look up was not only wrong but was presented in the film dishonestly. 
In example:

From the user formerly known as Flat Earth Scientist, I present you this short nugget      o' truth..

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »

Pretty sure none would exist if they were constrained by such a thing.

Nonetheless, I'd definitely check out Flat Earth Scientist's YT channel... it is unintentionally one of the funniest channels in existence.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:55 PM »

In example:

So 1 or 2 things you probably looked up on wikipedia and don't really know the full story for, is all it takes to get you to shut down.  Good to know.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »

In example:

From the user formerly known as Flat Earth Scientist, I present you this short nugget      o' truth..

Our "Flat Earth Scientist" reminds me of a "Narcberry" that can make videos.
All hot air and no evidence!

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 04:53:35 AM »

In example:

So 1 or 2 things you probably looked up on wikipedia and don't really know the full story for, is all it takes to get you to shut down.  Good to know.

Every single thing i looked up was incorrect and a good portion were presented to deceive. 

Why would i spend any more time on that? 

Why would you suggest i watch that movie if you were not trying to intentionally deceive.