my flat earth challenge!

• 31 Replies
my flat earth challenge!
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »
In light of recent events, I wanted to make an example of a good, honest chalenge. So here it is:

I challenge anybody willing to participate to create a flat Earth model that features a sun that sets and rises in a way that matches what is observed in reality.

You may ignore any other constrains pertaining to a flat Earth such as distances, constellations, etc. The only constrains are that the earth must be flat, and the sun must rise and set in a way correctly in all locations.

Anybody who does not wish to participate in the challenge may choose to help me judge entries. I will take input and feedback from all participating sub-judges and decide if the entry completes the challenge.

The first successful completer of my challenge may request anything for me to draw in Microsoft paint. I will make the image to the best of my ability, and they may then use the image for their signature.

If you have questions or concerns, please ask.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Re: my flat earth challenge!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
The only constrains are that the earth must be flat, and the sun must rise and set in a way correctly in all locations.

This is still rather vague. First of all, there is no way for us to test "all locations". You may want to specify a number of preselected or random locations. Then compare sunset times/locations with timeanddate.com. Of course, some flat earthers argue that timeanddate.com is wrong, so you may want to limit the test locations to places that flat earthers can verify. Good luck getting volunteers for that though...

The key is to eliminate loopholes, while providing an objective way to judge the entries. Saying that the sun "must rise and set in a way correctly" isn't very objective. Or grammatically correct, for that matter.

Also, you do realize you just invited Intikam to help judge, right? You may want to be slightly more selective with your judges.

Edit: that being said, I would value your reward ten times more than that other dude's monopoly money.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:43:57 PM by TotesReptilian »

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:22 PM »
Can we use a crazy/magical map for the earth to make it work?

Like DET with it's aether equator?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Chicken Fried Clucker

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
Can we use a crazy/magical map for the earth to make it work?

Like DET with it's aether equator?

Can aether be considered an "equation"?

I would call it abracadabra....in the DET model.
Quote from: wise
What happens if you deal with wise? You become retard.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »
This was made as a joke. It is meant to be full of loopholes. Go create whatever landmass you want, as long as the sun rises and sets.
Please give me ideas.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »
This was made as a joke. It is meant to be full of loopholes. Go create whatever landmass you want, as long as the sun rises and sets.

How good are your MS Paint skills?
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
If you browse the forum, you'd probably be able to see some of my art.

It's not good, but If I call it art, then nobody can question it.
Please give me ideas.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »
In light of recent events, I wanted to make an example of a good, honest chalenge. So here it is:

I challenge anybody willing to participate to create a flat Earth model that features a sun that sets and rises in a way that matches what is observed in reality.

You may ignore any other constrains pertaining to a flat Earth such as distances, constellations, etc. The only constrains are that the earth must be flat, and the sun must rise and set in a way correctly in all locations.

Anybody who does not wish to participate in the challenge may choose to help me judge entries. I will take input and feedback from all participating sub-judges and decide if the entry completes the challenge.

The first successful completer of my challenge may request anything for me to draw in Microsoft paint. I will make the image to the best of my ability, and they may then use the image for their signature.

Easy...  the flat earth model that consists of a  finite non-euclidean plane without edges.    A sphere to be precise.   Flat surface in curved space.    What prize do I get?   

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:51:43 PM »
I don't quite understand. One of the requirements was that the earth be flat, but you claim its a sphere. Please elaborate.

Also, the Prize is you tell me any image, and I do my best to make it in MS paint, for you to place in your sig.
Please give me ideas.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:57:39 AM »
I was gonna say that Rayzor haha thought it was cheating.

It's one of Johns new models, I am fond of it, it does match observation.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 04:04:38 AM »

That's where I got it from,  and yes it matches observations perfectly.   

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 04:16:18 AM »
I don't quite understand. One of the requirements was that the earth be flat, but you claim its a sphere. Please elaborate.

Also, the Prize is you tell me any image, and I do my best to make it in MS paint, for you to place in your sig.

Perhaps John Davis can explain it better,  but  his model maintains that satellites travel in straight lines,  and that space is curved,   this directly implies that the surface they travel over  ( the earth ) must be flat, since the altitude remains constant and they are travelling in straight lines.   So the earth is flat in curved space.   Or, unless you can derive a simpler non-euclidean surface that is finite and has no edges,  the shape of the flat earth is actually the surface of a sphere.   

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:28 AM »

I call bullshit on this, this will take away right at the start the ONLY charm of flat earth the sheer simplicity and "common sense approach"

And we dont want our fun spoiled by killing FE this quickly don't we ? 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 05:15:03 AM »

Perhaps John Davis can explain it better,  but  his model maintains that satellites travel in straight lines,  and that space is curved,   this directly implies that the surface they travel over  ( the earth ) must be flat, since the altitude remains constant and they are travelling in straight lines.   So the earth is flat in curved space.   Or, unless you can derive a simpler non-euclidean surface that is finite and has no edges,  the shape of the flat earth is actually the surface of a sphere.
I have tried to convince him that satellites travel in the equivalent of "geodesics" in space-time and not in space.
He insists on calling these  "geodesics" "straight lines", but "geodesics" are "straight lines" only in Euclidean Space, just as geodesics on the surface of the earth are actually circles.

In Einstein's General Relativity space-time is curved by massive objects (and energy since they are equivalent), but in the vicinity of earth the curvature of the "space-like" component is minute. Even near the sun it is extremely small. I prefer to call the John Davis form of relativity the "Ferrari Effect" after Leo Ferrari of the Andrea Barns "spoof" video by Leo Ferraru, et al.
Take a look at In Search of the Edge - searchguide.pdf, An Enquiry into the Shape of the Earth and the Disappearance of Andrea Barns.
Sometimes a "bootleg" copy of the full video "In Search of the Edge" can be seen on Youtube, but it is copyrighted by Bullfrog Films.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 05:38:21 AM »

That's where I got it from,  and yes it matches observations perfectly.

Yeah sorry the second bit was at OSG, I should've clarified.

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:41 AM »
Could you go into more detail about the sun? Does it travel around the earth, does the earth rotate etc.
Please give me ideas.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
Could you go into more detail about the sun? Does it travel around the earth, does the earth rotate etc.

The origin of the co-ordinate system can be wherever you like.   Geocentric and heliocentric are equivalent,  although heliocentric is simpler.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »
So it is just the round earth model, but with some space-time bending to make the earth look flat? Is that correct?
Please give me ideas.

Jane

• Flat Earth Researcher
  • Official Pokemon Trainer of the FES
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »
Ooh, let's have fun with this.

There is more than one Earth. In fact, there are dozens: all of the individual parts exist in the same basic plane in space, meaning the Earth is certainly flat, but they are spread apart. They aren't touching, and at many points in between there are huge walls. Each individual part of the Earth has its own Sun, and these Suns move in perfect synchronisation. When the Sun appears to set at one part of the Earth, it descends beneath the disc, and so would certainly be cut off bottom-up and rendered invisible. Meanwhile, elsewhere, another part of the Earth with another Sun will have its own Sun rising.

Given that you loosed all constraints, I need only match the two requests you made. I don't need to worry about issues like travel, or distances, or stars, or gravity, etc.
I simply need the Earth to be flat (which it certainly is, being composed of discs all along the same plane), and that the Sun rises and sets correctly in all locations (which can happen, should the discs and their respective Suns be set up correctly).

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
Well, after some careful deliberation (with myself, since nobody wanted to be a judge) I do believe that Jane has won the challenge. It meets all the criteria, at least.

However, razor may have gotten it first if I am understanding him correctly, but because of your creative solution, you can have a reward as well.

.what would you like me to draw?
Please give me ideas.

Jane

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
Well, after some careful deliberation (with myself, since nobody wanted to be a judge) I do believe that Jane has won the challenge. It meets all the criteria, at least.

However, razor may have gotten it first if I am understanding him correctly, but because of your creative solution, you can have a reward as well.

A turtle eating a flat Earth.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »
I'll try and get it done by tonight.

Please give me ideas.

JerkFace

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »

To save you some angst,  I'll also  vote for the great a'tuin turtle eating a flat earth,   like a pizza,   but the turtle has to have Donald Trump's hair.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »

To save you some angst,  I'll also  vote for the great a'tuin turtle eating a flat earth,   like a pizza,   but the turtle has to have Donald Trump's hair.

+1

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
Alright, Rayzor and Jane now have my permission to place this prestigious image in their sig. Or not. It's their choice either way.

Please give me ideas.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:50 PM »
That's dope.

In b4 OP wont deliver.

He did.

Jane

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 04:45:59 AM »
Alright, Rayzor and Jane now have my permission to place this prestigious image in their sig. Or not. It's their choice either way.

Thank you. I will treasure it forever.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 05:01:07 AM »
I like it but I think the turtle got ripped off--someone already ate off the sweet ice-wall crust!
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

Chicken Fried Clucker

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »
I like it but I think the turtle got ripped off--someone already ate off the sweet ice-wall crust!

The turtle might have licked it off before hand...kinda like an Oreo?

I would put this on my refrigerator if someone gave it to me.

What is the black thing on its back?? Probably some form of remote control from the penguins. They finally got what they wanted...the destruction of flat earth. Since they evolved for space flight they will migrate to the next Celestial body with their giant mutant turtle.

Next is the moon.....then here we come mars.

I vote this to be the new FES logo.
Quote from: wise
What happens if you deal with wise? You become retard.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »
It Is a mine turtle, symbolizing trumps current self-destruction.
Please give me ideas.