What if stars were planets?

• 15 Replies

Antithecyst

• Epistemological Anarchist
What if stars were planets?
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »
In the renaissance, philosophers like Giordano Bruno supposed that stars were suns.
Before that, it was theorized that stars were stars, they weren't suns or anything else, they belonged in their own category.
Now, that's a possibility in the my mind, that they belong in their own category.
Another possibility is that they're planets, like Venus and Mars.
Wouldn't that be weird, if the stars were planets, and reflecting the light of the sun, rather than emitting their own light?
But if they're planets, why can't we zoom in on them with our telescopes, and see their surfaces?
Perhaps because they're too distant, too small and too bright, they may be more reflective than other planets.
Maybe they're made up of more reflective materials, such as metals or mirrors.
If there are any life forms on these planets, they could also be made of metals.
Strange thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:35:47 AM by Antithecyst »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Aristotle

If you're not sinning against the scientific, religious and political status quo, than you're not really thinking.

Antithecyst

Re: What if stars were planets?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »
If the stars are planets, how come they're not orbiting the sun like the other planets?
Maybe they're just far enough, that they're out of reach of the suns gravity, but they're just close enough, that they're able to reflect sunlight brilliantly.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:21:10 AM by Antithecyst »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Aristotle

If you're not sinning against the scientific, religious and political status quo, than you're not really thinking.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
There's a TV series called cosmos that you might find interesting. They cover a lot of things like this and detail the chain of reasoning and evidence that brought us to our current understanding of the universe.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Antithecyst

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:39:54 AM »
There's a TV series called cosmos that you might find interesting. They cover a lot of things like this and detail the chain of reasoning and evidence that brought us to our current understanding of the universe.
Sounds interesting, I may check it out.

Aristotle

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »
Also a few channels on YouTube.

Crash course.

PBS spacetime
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Globetrotter

• Open-minded: receptive to arguments or ideas
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
If the stars are planets, how come they're not orbiting the sun like the other planets?
Maybe they're just far enough, that they're out of reach of the suns gravity, but they're just close enough, that they're able to reflect sunlight brilliantly.

Knowing how old you are probably would explain a lot. Looks like you've just learned how to write. Have you ever been at a school?
"If you insist it is a spinning globe, then why are you here?" - Simple. To counter the misinformation you are spreading to uneducated, and gullible people. It is the duty of every thinking person to oppose those who would spread lies.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »

Knowing how old you are probably would explain a lot. Looks like you've just learned how to write. Have you ever been at a school?

That was a lame insult. 2/10
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
They are not planets. We know this because we can measure how far away they are. 4 light years is the closest one. But for light to make a round trip, it would need to travel 8 light years. Based on the inverse square law of light,there would be practically no light reflected (even if they were perfect mirrors.) And also, we know that some of them are even brighter than the sun, so they can't be reflecting the sun's light.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Globetrotter

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »

I have a habit to check profiles in some cases and in most cases they lack those basic data; I find this as an inxult to the rest of the forum when a member thus uses his/her mask.
"If you insist it is a spinning globe, then why are you here?" - Simple. To counter the misinformation you are spreading to uneducated, and gullible people. It is the duty of every thinking person to oppose those who would spread lies.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »

I have a habit to check profiles in some cases and in most cases they lack those basic data; I find this as an inxult to the rest of the forum when a member thus uses his/her mask.

No one is expected to put any personal data in their profiles. This ain't Facebook.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Globetrotter

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »

No one is expected to put any personal data in their profiles. This ain't Facebook.

I said "basic data", so I meant suggestions offered by forum. That is different from sensitive "personal data".

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »

I said "basic data", so I meant suggestions offered by forum. That is different from sensitive "personal data".

Suggestions, not requirements.

disputeone

• Ranters
  • Or should I?
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »

Doesn't understand teh internets.
1/10
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this.

The reason I am consistently personally attacked here.
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69306.msg1960160#msg1960160

?

Kami

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
They are not planets. We know this because we can measure how far away they are. 4 light years is the closest one. But for light to make a round trip, it would need to travel 8 light years. Based on the inverse square law of light,there would be practically no light reflected (even if they were perfect mirrors.) And also, we know that some of them are even brighter than the sun, so they can't be reflecting the sun's light.
plus, the light spectra would be very different.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

Your question
                     "If the stars are planets, how come they're not orbiting the sun like the other planets?"
has a trivial answer
                     "Since the stars are not planets, they're not orbiting the sun like the planets?"
End of story.

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »
Well, as an example of the development of astronomy, I give you the example John Goodricke (1764-86).  He established the nature of binary stars, beginning with Algol.  Up to that point variable stars were a puzzlement.  The usual explanation was that variable stars were half fire and half dead rock and were rotating.  But Goodricke, by very careful timing and calculations, managed to prove that the variable star Algol was actually a binary star - extra bright when both stars appeared side-by-side, somewhat dimmer when the brighter star occluded the other, dimmest when the brighter star was occluded.  I might add that he was quite young, barely out of his teens, and totally deaf.

We might think it silly that, into the very time of the American Revolution, educated men believed that a star might be half cold rock, but some sciences had to wait for the development of the tools needed for further breakthroughs.

Returning to the title of this thread: If the stars were planets, then the stars would move in various orbits and constellations would not be stable.  That constellations have remained stabled for something more than a thousand years - close to the two thousand - shows that the stars are not planets.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:11:20 AM by Cartog »