Why do RE'ers struggle with the UA of earth, but accept the UA of the universe?

• 150 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
See subject.
I don't think any round earther accept the accelerating universe flat earth model? It doesn't really make sense.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

See subject.
They don't, it's a strawman.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

My (admittedly limited) understanding of the UA of earth is that it is based on the earth being flat. So the earth being a globe makes it a non-starter.

narcberry

I mean the FE UA vs the Universal acceleration of the universe in RE.

One of these is insignificant in comparison to the other, yet RE'ers are unable to comprehend the insignificant of the two while asserting the fantastic.

One of these is insignificant in comparison to the other, yet RE'ers are unable to comprehend the insignificant of the two while asserting the fantastic.

They are completely unrelated concepts. If you have evidence against the expansion of the universe, feel free to present it. If you have a theory that better explains the general redshift of light, feel free to present it.

narcberry

RE has no testable theory to explain the acceleration of the universe, let alone any evidence towards those non-existent theories. FE on the otherhand has a solid, evidence based explanation for the UA that accelerates the earth.

Case closed.

RE has no testable theory to explain the acceleration of the universe, let alone any evidence towards those non-existent theories.

Expansion of the universe is the predominant theory that explains the redshifting of light from far away objects. It's not exactly an easy thing to test, and I don't think anyone takes it as 100% fact. Again, if you have a better theory, let's hear it. However, whether the universe is actually expanding or not has nothing to do with whether the earth is flat, nor does it have anything to do with UA.

FE on the otherhand has a solid, evidence based explanation for the UA that accelerates the earth.

Where is all this evidence you speak of?

narcberry

Please do not respond to resolved threads. Further reading can be found using the search utility.

Thanks!

Please do not respond to resolved threads. Further reading can be found using the search utility.

Thanks!

This comment is quite well designed. Well done. The combination of dismissiveness and pseudo-officialness is sure to royally rankle the undergarments of anyone with an opposing viewpoint trying to take take this thread seriously. Honestly though, I used this technique WAY too often in my adolescent years for it to bother me much now.

Thanks!
Resolved thread? You started it, and now deem it closed...then why post it to begin with? You don't want discussion, you tell people to search. That's just....stupid.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Why does the UA pick and choose what it accelerates?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

How exactly is a rainbow made?

How exactly does the sunset?

How exactly does the posi-trac on Plymouth rear end work?

It just does.
It just does!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence

It does not.  It accellerates eveything equally in the known universe. 

Umm... then why aren't we weightless?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

If you are on a ship and on the leeward side of a sail, you would not feel the wind pushing on you but would still be traveling at the same speed as the ship.

If you are on a ship and on the leeward side of a sail, you would not feel the wind pushing on you but would still be traveling at the same speed as the ship.

You are missing the point. I am not saying that you wouldn't move along with the earth. I am saying you would feel weightless. In your example, that would be the equivalent of "not feeling the wind". You would feel no force pushing you down.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character

Oh, I think you misunderstood something very very wrong.
There is absolutely none (well, with about as much certainty as possible) universal acceleration of the universe in the round earth model. However, I think you might have heard of the expansion of the universe, and that the expansion rate is accelerating, according to measurements of redshifted light. Those two are obviously very different statements.

And anyways, I can't see how the expansion of the universe has anything to do with the shape of the earth, so a round earther can (and some round earth scientists actually exists) believe that the universe is not expanding, and it would have absolutely no impact on the science of the earth.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

You are missing the point. I am not saying that you wouldn't move along with the earth. I am saying you would feel weightless. In your example, that would be the equivalent of "not feeling the wind". You would feel no force pushing you down.

The UA is pushing against the bottom of the Earth and the accelerating Earth is pushing against you.  You should look up Einstein's Equivalence Principle.

The UA is pushing against the bottom of the Earth and the accelerating Earth is pushing against you.  You should look up Einstein's Equivalence Principle.

Yes, that is the general understanding of UA. I am aware of the equivalence principle. But you said that everything is accelerated equally, in which case the earth would not be pushing against you.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
You are not exposed to the Universal Accelerator. You are shielded by the earth's surface.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

Yes, that is the general understanding of UA. I am aware of the equivalence principle. But you said that everything is accelerated equally, in which case the earth would not be pushing against you.

I also said the observable universe.  I suppose I should have clarified that things that appear to be falling are not accelerating, but I thought you would be able to figure that out for yourself. 

I also said the observable universe.  I suppose I should have clarified that things that appear to be falling are not accelerating, but I thought you would be able to figure that out for yourself.

Sokarul: "Why does the UA pick and choose what it accelerates?"
jroa: "It accelerates everything equally in the known universe."

Yes, normally I would assume that things that appear to be falling are exempt. But given the context of your original answer to Sokarul, it seemed like you were specifically saying that nothing is exempt. If that ISN'T what you are saying, that's fine. But that brings us back to Sokarul's original question: "Why are some things exempt from UA?"

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

Yes, normally I would assume that things that appear to be falling are exempt. But given the context of your original answer to Sokarul, it seemed like you were specifically saying that nothing is exempt. If that ISN'T what you are saying, that's fine. But that brings us back to Sokarul's original question: "Why are some things exempt from UA?"

When I said everything, I meant everything that does not appear to be falling.  You are not exempt unless you are falling.  Somethings, such as the Earth and celestial bodies, are directly affected by the Universal Accelerator.  Other things, such as you and me and everything else on Earth are indirectly affected.  But, ultimately, the UA affects everything. 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
You are not exposed to the Universal Accelerator. You are shielded by the earth's surface.
But the sun and moon are not?

When in doubt; sources!

When I said everything, I meant everything that does not appear to be falling.  You are not exempt unless you are falling.  Somethings, such as the Earth and celestial bodies, are directly affected by the Universal Accelerator.  Other things, such as you and me and everything else on Earth are indirectly affected.  But, ultimately, the UA affects everything.

Good grief. Yes, I gathered that. Which brings us back to Sokural's original question: why are some things, such as you and me, exempt from UA?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
I don't know why I even asked, I knew the old ad hoc answer if theirs. I did think of something new though. If matter stops the UA, why isn't the sun or any other "soft" body deformed?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Correct.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator

Good grief. Yes, I gathered that. Which brings us back to Sokural's original question: why are some things, such as you and me, exempt from UA?

I already explained to you that if there is a sail between you and the wind, you won't feel the wind, but you can still travel with the ship.  I am not sure what you are having so much trouble understanding.  This really is a basic concept, but you treat the question as if it is rocket science.  Do I need to draw you a picture? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
Correct.
But are they not above the earth?

When in doubt; sources!