Giant basalt trees? Nah.

• 12 Replies

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
Giant basalt trees? Nah.
« on: October 10, 2016, 04:48:49 AM »
Since I only just now discovered this thread: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67800.0
I'd like to weigh in, but apparently we're not supposed to debate in there. Here goes.

There's a MASSIVE chemical difference between basalt and petrified wood. Basalt is an igneous rock that cooled quicky (small crystals), and usually consists of crystals of plagioclase, pyroxene, maybe some olivine and/or amphibole. In general, it consists of only 45-50% SiO2 (that doesn't mean its quartz, by the way). Now petrified wood is something completely different. When wood petrifies, the organic components are replaced by quartz. 100% SiO2. This happens as water flows through the sediments/rocks, and in that water is a lot of dissolved quartz. Maybe some trace elements get in there too, which you can find back as the coloration, as petrified wood usually isn't white. But it's chemically not even close to basalt.
Then the fact that basalt forms usually hexagonal pillars. This happens when the basalt cool down and the volume decreases, which is generally what happens when you cool down a liquid and have it solidify. Water and ice being the exception on the rule. As the mass of basalt shrinks, it'll have to give way somewhere. As it happens, hexagons are the most efficient repeatable geometry, circumference vs surface wise. Nature is clever. Now in petrified wood, we can often find back textures that actually resemble trees, like growth rings, irregularities, even cells. Good luck finding those in basalt.

Additionally there is zero evidence for massive trees of such sizes to have ever existed. Nothing in the fossil record. I don't even think its physically possible.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

Re: Giant basalt trees? Nah.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:40 AM »
There was an article in Atlantic Magazine where the reporter mocked flat earthers and the whole video about 'no forests on earth', yet one of the prominent flat earth video makers actually read out this whole article in a youtube post thinking that it was a real article which forwarded FE theory and accepted the giant tree theory as well. Well, he struggled to read it, as it contained many long words that were beyond his comprehension.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
I completely agree. Though the resemblance to a tree stump is certainly uncanny though one I had never recognized before seeing these posts.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
I completely agree. Though the resemblance to a tree stump is certainly uncanny though one I had never recognized before seeing these posts.

Yeah but where's the root systems if these are giant tree remains?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »
 ::)
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

Potatoes bare an uncanny resemblance to the shape of peoples' heads. Could it be... ? Surely not... but maybe... All hail the ancestral master race!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »

Potatoes bare an uncanny resemblance to the shape of peoples' heads. Could it be... ? Surely not... but maybe... All hail the ancestral master race!

They can't help being naked.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »

That idea has appeal...

I didn't say such basalt formations were giant trees. I said the opposite. I said they do have an uncanny resemblance to giant trees and expressed surprise that I'd never really noticed the resemblance before.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 04:20:22 AM »
Let's remember they were chopped down with giant space laser axes.  True story.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
I didn't say such basalt formations were giant trees. I said the opposite.

Yeah, I caught that. I wasn't trying to imply that you did. Just poking fun at the whole notion...

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
Now here's something I wish they'd make youtube videos about.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Now here's something I wish they'd make youtube videos about.

See: Avatar. They tried, but the large blue natives got in the way.