Round Earth Illusion vs Flat Earth Reality

• 122 Replies

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
Round Earth Illusion vs Flat Earth Reality
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »

When I look down my street, the houses look smaller and smaller the further away they are.  I notice the same thing with telephone polls, trees and electrical towers.  However, if I walk down to where the last telephone poll looks like it is one inch tall, I find that it is still over 30 feet tall!  One way to explain this is that the earth is curving down;  another is that it is just an illusion, caused by our limited vision.  The second explanation seems to be correct, since a zoom lense will reveal the entire lenght of the tower, not just the top of it.  Moreover, with the naked eye, I can still see land and the top of the telephone pole, even though it appears to be only one inch tall!  So, it must be an illusion. 
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Re: Round Earth Illusion vs Flat Earth Reality
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »
This is the debate section, were you meaning this to be in complete nonsense? Because I have a feeling that's where it's headed..

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 08:59:55 PM »
You can restore it with a zoom lens?  What are you waiting for?!  Please post that video!  You would be the hero of the flat earth society.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:46:31 PM »
another is that it is just an illusion, caused by our limited vision.  The second explanation seems to be correct, since a zoom lense will reveal the entire lenght of the tower, not just the top of it.  Moreover, with the naked eye, I can still see land and the top of the telephone pole, even though it appears to be only one inch tall!  So, it must be an illusion. 
So our limited vision suddently cut off at a very specific part of an object, that doesn't look any "smaller" (arc resolution) than the rest of it. And that doesn't corelate with the distance to the actual object itself.

How's that more correct?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 12:20:27 AM »

When I look down my street, the houses look smaller and smaller the further away they are.  I notice the same thing with telephone polls, trees and electrical towers.  However, if I walk down to where the last telephone poll looks like it is one inch tall, I find that it is still over 30 feet tall!  One way to explain this is that the earth is curving down;  another is that it is just an illusion, caused by our limited vision.  The second explanation seems to be correct, since a zoom lense will reveal the entire lenght of the tower, not just the top of it.  Moreover, with the naked eye, I can still see land and the top of the telephone pole, even though it appears to be only one inch tall!  So, it must be an illusion.

Ever heard of perspective?

Perspective is simply the illusion that makes thinks further away seem smaller.

See in the Flat Earth'd own Wiki

No-one is pretending that the earth's curvature is going to show down the length of your street!

When I get time I'll dig up the reference in (yes, again) Rowbotham's Earth not a Globe for an explanation!

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »

Then why can't we restore the sun after it sets with a telescope?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:53 AM »

We can, by rising up high enough to negate the curve of the earth! Which is why sunlight will still hit the top of tall buildings for a while after their bottom floors are in shadow. Watch the sunset from the ground, then take an elevator to the top floor, especially easy in a place like Dubai where it is very flat and some building are really tall, and the sun will magically appear above the horizon again. (going up higher changes the laws of FE'ers perspective - it extends the vanishing point and magically makes something 6000 further miles away, as they say it is, rise up again)

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »

We can, by rising up high enough to negate the curve of the earth! Which is why sunlight will still hit the top of tall buildings for a while after their bottom floors are in shadow. Watch the sunset from the ground, then take an elevator to the top floor, especially easy in a place like Dubai where it is very flat and some building are really tall, and the sun will magically appear above the horizon again. (going up higher changes the laws of FE'ers perspective - it extends the vanishing point and magically makes something 6000 further miles away, as they say it is, rise up again)

Oh I know about that. What I'm asking is someone at sea level after the sun sets restoring the sun with a telescope. No none has ever done it.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »
Because a telescope totally destroys the "perspective" nonsense they like to use.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »

Magnifying the image of a setting (or a run after sunset) would also magnify the atmosphere, and other obstructions like trees and buildings, still rendering the sun darkened by the obstructions. A better approach would be to filter out the light that obstructs this way, only looking at higher energy particles - like gamma waves. In these tests, the sun is perfectly visible after sunset.

?

frenat

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »

Magnifying the image of a setting (or a run after sunset) would also magnify the atmosphere, and other obstructions like trees and buildings, still rendering the sun darkened by the obstructions. A better approach would be to filter out the light that obstructs this way, only looking at higher energy particles - like gamma waves. In these tests, the sun is perfectly visible after sunset.
But of course you can't link to these tests. 

narcberry

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
Uh, this took like 5 seconds on google to find. Is your google broke or are you just lazy?

http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.92.031101

One of thousands of papers related to my point.

?

frenat

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
Uh, this took like 5 seconds on google to find. Is your google broke or are you just lazy?

http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.92.031101

One of thousands of papers related to my point.
That paper is not related to your point.

And it isn't my burden of proof.  YOUR point, YOUR responsibility to back it up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:52:37 AM by frenat »

narcberry

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »
So your google is broke and you can't comprehend scientific journals. Why are you on this forum exactly?

?

frenat

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »
So your google is broke and you can't comprehend scientific journals. Why are you on this forum exactly?
obvious troll is obvious.

The paper does not support your point.  If you think it does then show why but you won't.

Google works fine for me but I'm not here to do YOUR work for you.   When YOU have a burden of proof, YOU need to do the work.  YOU are obviously avoiding it.

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:23 AM »

And if there are no buildings or trees or other obstructions? Certainly you'd be able to bring the sun back into focus. Especially with today's modern scopes.

narcberry

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
And if there are no buildings or trees or other obstructions? Certainly you'd be able to bring the sun back into focus. Especially with today's modern scopes.

yes, if you had no obstructions like the atmosphere, trees, buildings, or the flat ground accelerating through the path of the light.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »

Your link above doesn't support your claim and I live near the beach. There isn't much obstructions to get in the way and even if they were we should be able to see to buildings by the shadow they create.

narcberry

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
...except that it does. The data from that specialized telescope demonstrates the ability to image the sun at night

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
...except that it does. The data from that specialized telescope demonstrates the ability to image the sun at night

Your claim was that gamma rays from the sun can be seen after sunset.

The paper you linked to was about detecting neutrinos (not gamma rays) coming from the earth (not the sun).

narcberry

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »

The paper you linked to was about detecting neutrinos (not gamma rays) coming from the earth (not the sun).

Neither of those are true. Let me know when you've discovered your logical error and are ready to pick this discussion up from where I left off.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

Neither of those are true. Let me know when you've discovered your logical error and are ready to pick this discussion up from where I left off.

1. Neutrinos are not high energy particles, nor are they particularly similar to gamma waves.
2. Borexino is indeed designed to detect neutrinos coming from the sun. However, the particular experiment you linked to specifically talks about detecting neutrinos coming from the mantle of the earth. Not the sun.

Even if you ignore these two issues with your statement, you still haven't established that the neutrinos are coming from a direction consistent with a flat earth. If they are indeed coming through the earth but originate from the sun, that would be evidence that the earth is round, not flat.

narcberry

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »
I think their data says enough. There's no reason for you to turn this into some kind of flame war.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
I think their data says enough. There's no reason for you to turn this into some kind of flame war.

???

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »
If you can see stars at night, which are farther away than the sun, then you'd be able to see the sun with a telescope. You just would. But, we don't. Also, the sun doesn't get smaller and smaller and smaller until it just fades away into nothing. It stays the same relative size all day long, until sunset. You can literally watch it go down behind the horizon - and if you're extra lucky, you'll get to see the green flash (if over water). Perspective does not explain the green flash.

narcberry

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
The sun after/before twilight is behind a lot more of earths atmosphere than the stars are, the stars emit different light, and i don't know why I'm having to explain any of this.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 06:50:14 PM »
Because the sun doesn't just all the sudden disappear into the atmosphere! That's why! According to what you're saying the sun would have to continually get smaller, but it doesn't. It just - disappears. Literally before you're eyes. 5 seconds after it's gone you're gonna sit there and say there's too much atmosphere obscuring it to be able to bring it back into view? Come on now. That's just nonsense.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »
The sun after/before twilight is behind a lot more of earths atmosphere than the stars are, the stars emit different light, and i don't know why I'm having to explain any of this.
That doesn't explain how the sun stays the same size as it supposedly moves away, perspective dictates it would get smaller.  Nor does it explain how the sun gradually dips below the horizon instead of blending with it.  In fact I can't really see what it does explain.

narcberry

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
That doesn't explain how the sun stays the same size as it supposedly moves away, perspective dictates it would get smaller.  Nor does it explain how the sun gradually dips below the horizon instead of blending with it.  In fact I can't really see what it does explain.

The sun is a convex mirror reflecting starlight along a uniform path - that unique optical property makes it appear the same size at varying distances.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
HAHAHA HAHA HAHAHA!!!
ANOTHER VICTORY FOR ROUND EARTH!
Convex mirror reflecting starlight... Yes. All the evidence points straight to this. Wow.