Poll

Do You See Curve?  

Sure, I'd believe anything!  
3 (21.4%)
No, I've learned how to tell the difference between reality and bologna!  
4 (28.6%)
I'm obstaining from forming an opinion, based on my fear of being wrong!  
0 (0%)
What was the question?  
6 (42.9%)
Only when I am heavily inebriated!  
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Drop On A Curve Vs A Straight Line Vs Perspective Vs Common Sense

• 73 Replies

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
The drop on the round earth is supposed to be as follows:  8 inches first mile, then 32 inches at the second mile, then at 90 miles it jumps to over a mile, then at 6,250 miles, the total drop becomes nearly 5,000 miles, which is about 1,000 miles too much on the round earth model, because the diameter of the earth on their model is less than 8,000 miles. 

O.k., so if you accept that, then you aren't saying that the earth curves 8 inches per mile, because over 6,250 miles, that would only add up to a total drop of less than eight tenths of a mile and round earthers are claiming a drop of nearly 4,000 miles, over just 1/4 of the earth's circumference (assuming it is round). 

Alright, so if your perspective is supposed to change, based on where you are on the ball and that model is actually correct (enough for government work), then you would only observe 8 inches of drop, for the first mile in any direction.  Of course, with telephoto lenses, we don't.   :o

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za05.htm

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
Re: Drop On A Curve Vs A Straight Line Vs Perspective Vs Common Sense
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »

The telephoto lense's awesome power has changed the way we look at the world! 

It's not eight inches over the first mile;  it's eight inches over the first foot!   ;D

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
Look at all that curve in the "After" photo. What are you trying to say? That a picture, or even a person, could misrepresent reality?

Your picture is lacking context. Can you use a telephoto lens to zoom in on a ship that has partially gone over the horizon, and bring it back? Or the sun?

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
Look at all that curve in the "After" photo. What are you trying to say? That a picture, or even a person, could misrepresent reality?

Your picture is lacking context. Can you use a telephoto lens to zoom in on a ship that has partially gone over the horizon, and bring it back? Or the sun?

Can I use a telephoto lens to zoom in on a ship that has partially gone over the horizon and bring it back?  Yeah, I think I can  ;D

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »
I think you posted the wrong video. That doesn't show what you said it would.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »
I'm still completely lost as to how people calculated the "drop" equation.

Because it seems from your three points, that the earth curves exponentially downward, which makes absolutely no sense at all.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »

Why don't you think it does? 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »

Because it seems from your three points, that the earth curves exponentially downward, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

What doesn't make sense about it? 

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »

Because reality. It has nothing to do with what I think.

The buoy is in view at the beginning. When the camera zooms in, there is no new portion of the buoy that becomes viewable. (Same with the boat, although it's moving around all over the place and its distance is variable so it's not as good of an indicator as the buoy, so we can leave that out of the discussion for now.)

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 04:31:20 PM »

That equation would suggest that the earth is somehow a mound that gets steeper and steeper the farther away you go. But we actually claim it is a sphere

Why don't you calculate what the actual drop would be based on actual measurements.
Please give me ideas.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »

I'm guess you just googled for a video to support this without watching it closely.  Take another look at it.  The first part argues that we're really seeing a mirage(we're not).  In the second half whoever's shooting it is trying to demonstrate that zooming in will restore the hull which you can clearly see doesn't happen despite his best efforts.

This one's a little more clear, take a look

Here's one showing the same effect completely with measurements and gps coordinates
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

?

frenat

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »

Can I use a telephoto lens to zoom in on a ship that has partially gone over the horizon and bring it back?  Yeah, I think I can  ;D

That video doesn't show that.  The hidden part of the boat is never brought back into view.

edit to add:  Oh goody, yet another heavily biased poll!  Do you work for CNN?
The pictures in your first post mean absolutely nothing without the height of the observer and the distance.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:38:10 PM by frenat »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »

Brilliant, you've demonstrated that when you zoom back from long telephoto to wide-angle you make it too small to see!
But once something has really disappeared behind the horizon, it stays hidden.

Any more magic up your sleeve?

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
according to the globe, if you travel 12,500 miles in one direction, you should curve all the way back.

This means that the average slope of the earth must be a straight vertical drop on each side.

Why don't we see this?

The globe must be wrong!
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »
The drop on the round earth is supposed to be as follows:  8 inches first mile, then 32 inches at the second mile, then at 90 miles it jumps to over a mile, then at 6,250 miles, the total drop becomes nearly 5,000 miles, which is about 1,000 miles too much on the round earth model, because the diameter of the earth on their model is less than 8,000 miles. 

O.k., so if you accept that, then you aren't saying that the earth curves 8 inches per mile, because over 6,250 miles, that would only add up to a total drop of less than eight tenths of a mile and round earthers are claiming a drop of nearly 4,000 miles, over just 1/4 of the earth's circumference (assuming it is round). 

Alright, so if your perspective is supposed to change, based on where you are on the ball and that model is actually correct (enough for government work), then you would only observe 8 inches of drop, for the first mile in any direction.  Of course, with telephoto lenses, we don't.   :o
The drop on the round earth isn't 8 inches per mile squared. This is what you would get if expanded square root function to Taylor series up to 1st derivative and ignore the remaining, higher derivative terms. So it's just an approximation that most flat earthers think is an exact formula.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 12:13:15 AM »

Do you ever READ your references? It clearly says:
"Let the distance from T to figure 1 represent 1 mile, and the fall from 1 to A, 8 inches; then the fall from 2 to B will be 32 inches, and from 3 to C, 72 inches. In every mile after the first, the curvature downwards from the point T increases as the square of the distance multiplied by 8 inches. The rule, however, requires to be modified after the first thousand miles.[/b]"

Here are accurate "curvature" figures. The trouble is defining what is meant become ambiguous when the angles around the globe gets more than a few degrees. In what follows I have used the perpendicular drop from local horizontal (eye-level) to the earth's surface.

The following table has been calculated for an equator to pole distance of 6,250 miles (and earth's radius of 3,979 miles) simply because that is what you have been using. More accurate values are equator to pole distance of 6,220 miles and earth's radius of 3,960 miles.

Distance

Exact Curve

8" x miles2
0 miles

0.00 feet

0.00 feet
1 mile 

0.66 feet

0.67 feet
2 miles

2.65 feet

2.67 feet
5 miles

16.6 feet

16.7 feet
10 miles

66.4 feet

66.7 feet
20 miles

265 feet

267 feet
50 miles

1,659 feet

1,667 feet
100 miles

1.26 miles

1.26 miles
200 miles

5.03 miles

5.05 miles
500 miles

31.4 miles

31.6 miles
1,000 miles

125 miles

126 miles
2,000 miles

492 miles

505 miles
3,000 miles

1,078 miles

1,136 miless
5,000 miles

2,749 miles

3,157 miles
6,250 miles

3,979 miles

4,932 miles

You can see why Rowbotham suggests that the approximate 8" x miles2 should not be used over 1,000 miles.
And when the distance approaches the equator to pole distance the slope finally becomes vertical.

<< I hope I haven't made any mistakes, but it looks OK. >>

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »
You can see why Rowbotham suggests that the approximate 8" x miles2 should not be used over 1,000 miles.
And when the distance approaches the equator to pole distance the slope finally becomes vertical.

The Rowbotham's formula is ok for up to ~50-100 miles (so it's ok for most applications) and it doesn't work at all over the ocean/sea/huge water - significant errors can be observed even under 10 miles distance.

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »

The buoy is in view at the beginning. When the camera zooms in, there is no new portion of the buoy that becomes viewable. (Same with the boat, although it's moving around all over the place and its distance is variable so it's not as good of an indicator as the buoy, so we can leave that out of the discussion for now.)

It's obvious that the ship and buoy are several miles away from shore.  Yet, they are clearly viewable.  That makes no sense on a round earth and this is just one of thousands of videos like it, made mostly by amateurs. 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 07:43:55 PM »

That equation would suggest that the earth is somehow a mound that gets steeper and steeper the farther away you go. But we actually claim it is a sphere

Why don't you calculate what the actual drop would be based on actual measurements.

Well somehow, round earth'ers have to account for nearly 4,000 miles of drop over a little more than 6,000 miles.  An ant on a beach ball would notice a decline that became greater and greater as they traveled from the "north pole" of the ball towards any point on its "equator."  Of course, we don't observe that on the earth either. 

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

Well somehow, round earth'ers have to account for nearly 4,000 miles of drop over a little more than 6,000 miles.  An ant on a beach ball would notice a decline that became greater and greater as they traveled from the "north pole" of the ball towards any point on its "equator."  Of course, we don't observe that on the earth either.

Uh...  we do observe that,  and  it's easily measured.   Just ask your local surveyor to demonstrate.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »

It's obvious that the ship and buoy are several miles away from shore.  Yet, they are clearly viewable.  That makes no sense on a round earth and this is just one of thousands of videos like it, made mostly by amateurs.

It's obvious? How far away are they, then? What source are you citing for this information? And how come zooming in doesn't reveal any new information hidden behind the horizon (which was the original request that you said you resolved with that video)?

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »

I'm guess you just googled for a video to support this without watching it closely.  Take another look at it.  The first part argues that we're really seeing a mirage(we're not).  In the second half whoever's shooting it is trying to demonstrate that zooming in will restore the hull which you can clearly see doesn't happen despite his best efforts.

This one's a little more clear, take a look

Here's one showing the same effect completely with measurements and gps coordinates

I don't see the video arguing a mirage or that the hull isn't visible. 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »

That video doesn't show that.  The hidden part of the boat is never brought back into view.

edit to add:  Oh goody, yet another heavily biased poll!  Do you work for CNN?
The pictures in your first post mean absolutely nothing without the height of the observer and the distance.

That boat isn't one mile away, it is several miles away!   So, quite a bit more of the boat should be hidden from view, and the buoy should be completely/mostly hidden from view.  Yet, they aren't. 

In regards to the picture in the opening post, the distance is obviously several miles.  Even if it's just 5 miles, the drop should be at least 16 feet, but it isn't!  Furthermore, this is just one of thousands just like it and I've observed this myself!  If you really don't think you see it, you should try if for yourself.  It is a simple experiment to perform. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:00:56 PM by Marciano »

?

Woody

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
This is over the horizon:

This is showing different ships one being beyond the horizon:

That video is not a boat beyond the horizon.  That is an example of a camera not having enough resolution to resolve the boat and buoy when zoomed out.

I also like to point out there is a reason these,"restored a boat over the horizon" videos are all boats around 20 feet long.  Find videos of container ships and tankers.  Much larger and most likely a camera will be able to resolve the upper decks and part of the super structure.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:01:18 PM by Woody »

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »

Brilliant, you've demonstrated that when you zoom back from long telephoto to wide-angle you make it too small to see!
But once something has really disappeared behind the horizon, it stays hidden.

Any more magic up your sleeve?

Are you kidding?  That boat is to far away to see with the naked eye!  Haven't you ever used the zoom on a camera?   

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
according to the globe, if you travel 12,500 miles in one direction, you should curve all the way back.

This means that the average slope of the earth must be a straight vertical drop on each side.

Why don't we see this?

The globe must be wrong!

exactly

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »

The drop on the round earth isn't 8 inches per mile squared. This is what you would get if expanded square root function to Taylor series up to 1st derivative and ignore the remaining, higher derivative terms. So it's just an approximation that most flat earthers think is an exact formula.

Oh I see, well, do you have an alternative formula you would like to share with us? 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »

The Rowbotham's formula is ok for up to ~50-100 miles (so it's ok for most applications) and it doesn't work at all over the ocean/sea/huge water - significant errors can be observed even under 10 miles distance.

Do you think it is grossly innacurate or just a little off? 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »

Do you ever READ your references? It clearly says:
"Let the distance from T to figure 1 represent 1 mile, and the fall from 1 to A, 8 inches; then the fall from 2 to B will be 32 inches, and from 3 to C, 72 inches. In every mile after the first, the curvature downwards from the point T increases as the square of the distance multiplied by 8 inches. The rule, however, requires to be modified after the first thousand miles.[/b]"

Here are accurate "curvature" figures. The trouble is defining what is meant become ambiguous when the angles around the globe gets more than a few degrees. In what follows I have used the perpendicular drop from local horizontal (eye-level) to the earth's surface.

The following table has been calculated for an equator to pole distance of 6,250 miles (and earth's radius of 3,979 miles) simply because that is what you have been using. More accurate values are equator to pole distance of 6,220 miles and earth's radius of 3,960 miles.

Distance

Exact Curve

8" x miles2
0 miles

0.00 feet

0.00 feet
1 mile 

0.66 feet

0.67 feet
2 miles

2.65 feet

2.67 feet
5 miles

16.6 feet

16.7 feet
10 miles

66.4 feet

66.7 feet
20 miles

265 feet

267 feet
50 miles

1,659 feet

1,667 feet
100 miles

1.26 miles

1.26 miles
200 miles

5.03 miles

5.05 miles
500 miles

31.4 miles

31.6 miles
1,000 miles

125 miles

126 miles
2,000 miles

492 miles

505 miles
3,000 miles

1,078 miles

1,136 miless
5,000 miles

2,749 miles

3,157 miles
6,250 miles

3,979 miles

4,932 miles

Thanks for sharing. 

Marciano

• Flat Earth Believer
  • Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »

Uh...  we do observe that,  and  it's easily measured.   Just ask your local surveyor to demonstrate.

O.k, well why don't I see it with a telephoto lense?