Fantasy Fracas (community story)

• 30 Replies
Fantasy Fracas (community story)
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Haven't seen a community story on this site, but I have had plenty of experience doing this on another forum, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Here's how it works. This community together will create a story. I will write a few paragraphs, and end with the main character needing to make a decision or a perform an action. You guys then suggest to me the decisions  or actions that the character will make, where I will write another few paragraphs. You can decide to make your suggestions realistic, or completely ridiculous, whatever you want. There won't be any punishments for silly ideas, but please do make an attempt to advance the story.

Rules:
1. Absolutely no suggestions involving the flat or round earth during the story.  Just don't mention it. I hope you understand.

2. No suggestions involving supernatural things. Ita fine if you want to suggest an action that would have a ridiculously low probability of working, but make sure that it is technically possible to do.

3. No fighting.

4. No trolling.

5. Have fun

6. Now rules as needed.

Let's get started!

It was just past midnight. You had the late night watch on the castle walls. It had been completely routine up to this point. You just passed your fellow watchman, Carter, when your heart stopped. You heard a sound you hoped to never hear in your life, the sound of goblin war drums. You shout "SOUND THE ALARM" but halfway through, your voice gets drowned out by the horde of goblins all shouting Anthe same time. You look towards the woods, and sure enough, thousands of the foul creatures were charging across the lawn, and made it to the wall faster than you thought possible. You faintly hear castle alarm being raised, but you don't have time to pay attention towards it. Ladders started slamming into the wall you were standing on, and four goblins saw you alone on the wall, and engaged, while the rest went towards the gatehouse. Two of them had spears, while then others had short swords. All you had was a sword and a knife.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Fantasy Fracas (community story)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
Fall back to close  quarters. The goblins with the spears will be at a disadvantage. It's night so there should be a torch somewhere nearby. Chuck it at one of the goblins with the short sword setting him ablaze. Then throw your sword through the face of the other one. This should hopefully demoralize the other two goblins and cause them to flee. Then take your dagger and skin one of the dead goblins, wearing its face to freedom.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »
... but, that was just an expeditionary force to test the defensive capabilities of the fortress. It would soon be daylight and the eerie calm was going to be broken by another attack. The storm clouds on the horizon were an omen of coming threat ...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
So I can't suggest anything "supernatural", but I rapisly find myself reading a story about goblins...
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
So I can't suggest anything "supernatural", but I rapisly find myself reading a story about goblins...

Goblins aren't necessarily supernatural. Although they do strongly imply a setting where supernatural things are likely.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 09:50:53 PM »
... or, we could just have fun writing this bizarre novella.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
What I meant is don't suggest stuff like "become a wizard and snap your fingers to kill everybody" unless pfncourse it makes sense in the context. This takes place in a fantasy world.

... but, that was just an expeditionary force to test the defensive capabilities of the fortress. It would soon be daylight and the eerie calm was going to be broken by another attack. The storm clouds on the horizon were an omen of coming threat ...
I was planning on you guys suggesting actions for the main character. But don't worry, something bigger is coming...

you retreat to the edge of the wall, right before otndrops off into the courtyard. The four goblins laugh as the see you retreating, and they start to taunt you once you reach the edge and slowly turn to face them. "What's the matter? Too scared to fight? Would you rather run back to your mama's? Hahaha!" You weren't thinking of running though, you just needed ringer in a better position. There was a torch along the top of the inner wall, to light up the courtyard. You draw your sword methodically, making sure that all four are watching it. The goblins taunt you once again, "Time to die you piti..." However, you don't let him finish. You plungenyour sword straight down the back of the wall, embedding it straight through the burning torch. You yank the sword up again, with the flaming torch still firmly attached to the tip. The goblins are blinded by the sudden brightness, because goblins hate light, however one of the speaker recovers enough to lunge at you. You twirl out of the way, and toss your sword straight through his oversized nose. The sword penetrates his face, but gets stopped by the back of his skull. The flaming torch sets his leathery skin on fire almost immediately, flaring up to an intense brightness. The fire spreads to the other goblins, and all of them on your section of the wall flee in terror. You yank your sword out of the first goblins charred head, and decapitate him, trying his head to your belt. You had secured your wall, but the other sections were not so lucky.

Catapults and ballistae in the castle turrets were firing flaming projectiles as an attempt to demoralize the horde, but the massive size of the army negated the usefulness of such an attack. To make matters worse, goblins, having established a foothold on the wall, were advancing up the towers and disabling the siege weapons one by one. You look towards the gatehouse in dismay as you see a significant number of goblins holding a defensive position while the castle portcullis was slowly creaking open. The castle defenders were still only just getting roused, and any serious defence was still disorganized. They would not defeat the invading goblins before they got the gate open. You look back to the outside and see a n uncountable number of goblins outside the gate, waiting patiently for it to open. You can't let that happen.   
Please give me ideas.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »
You just want suggestive input and you write the story?

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »
Yeah, I think I explained it in the op pretty well. You guys suggest actions or decisions for the main character. But you can have as much fun with that as you want.
Please give me ideas.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »
You remember in the dungeons there is a horde of ugly mute fuck penguins.  If you release them on the goblins in may buy you some time.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »
... or, we could just have fun writing this bizarre novella.
Can't I kill your joy just this once?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
You remember that the lord of this castle, Lord Winchester, had a hobby of traveling the world and collecting strange creatures for his personal zoo. You visited there once, and there was one creature whom you remembered as being so foul that you suspect not even goblins could bear to look upon it. You scramble down the stairs into the castle courtyard, duck under a few arrows, and enter the barracks. The zoo was I'm the castle dungeon. You travel down the damp stairs deep underground, passing cage after cage of exotic creatures until you reach the end. And there is was.

It was the most hideous, foul creature you had ever set eyes on. It had black feet, and a fat, rounded body, with flowers on its side. It was black except for it's belly, which was a stark white and it's beak which was a bright orange. It looked like some demonic concoction between a bird and a fish. You jiggle the rusted cell, and the door swings open. You take the decapitated goblin head and shove it into the creatures face, forcing it to smell the stench that only a goblin could produce. The creature then let out a grotesque skwawk, and started to slowly wiggle it's feet in a disgusting pattern to make it's way towards the surface. You run back up to the surface, and see that the gate had been opened enough to let the army through, but the castle defenders  had almost fully rallied, forming their own lines blocking the goblins from advancing, however, only  a few more moments and the goblins would have enough manpower to overwhelm the defenses. Your creature would need some time in order to reach the surface. You need to buy some more time.
Please give me ideas.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
Yeah, I think I explained it in the op pretty well. You guys suggest actions or decisions for the main character. But you can have as much fun with that as you want.

Main Character kills himself. I'm out.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 11:15:14 PM »
Rule 4: no trolling.

I guessed this might not work, but it was worth a try.
Please give me ideas.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Maybe a story telling format where people can contribute more?

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »
Possibly, but from experience, that just ends up with everybody arguing about what happens next.
Please give me ideas.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:54 PM »
Maybe, but this is a fairly small forum.  It might have a better chance of working.

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 12:27:08 AM »
I do t think this is the right forum. 1 half of it hates the other half. Not the best formula for a cooperative story.

Oh well.
Please give me ideas.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
Aww, I like it when we do stuff together. DON'T GIVE UP.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
If you want to suggest something, I'll keep going, but it looked like everybody else didn't want to participate.
Please give me ideas.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
Okay, but let me think about it. This seems kinda like D&D and you're the dungeon master?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Yes, but there is no dice or anything. Every action will be completed perfectly.

So you can have fun with that.
Please give me ideas.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
I do t think this is the right forum. 1 half of it hates the other half. Not the best formula for a cooperative story.

Oh well.

I don't hate anyone here....not even Legba. Though I would never turn my back to the chronic masterbater.

Two random things, then I am out of this thread, just happened to see your post here osg.

1) Here is a good quote for your sig, since it was the start of the "fuck penguin" and you were part of it. Plus it is quite awesome
Quote from: origamiscienceguy
Quote from: Flat Earth Scientist
i dont care if your immature fuck ugly penguin....
If my immature fuck ugly penguin does what? You didn't finish the sentence.

2) I read in another post that you are going to UTD? That is literally 7 minutes from my shop. Though I went to UNT, I spend time at UTD maybe once a month or every other month on some of the projects they are working on in the mechanical engineering field (don't know what your major is).

What if I have actually possibly waved at someone on this forum before and never knew it....small world and that is a story in itself lol.

I thought this place was just 3 shills pretending to be 100s ha ha.

Also, if you would like to come witness the baby rocket test that I am going to be doing in a few weeks that would be cool to have another member to bring more legitimacy. If you are even interested in that kind of stuff

Ok done derailing....my apologies
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:11:05 PM by Babyhighspeed »
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Believe it or not, I am a mechanical engineering major. Freshmen.

What is your shop called?
Please give me ideas.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I prefer to keep names off the public airways. There are a few too many "Legba" mentalities in these parts

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
The Mechanical Engineers I know are losers.  Electrical is where it is at. 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 02:34:57 AM »
Main character sees a wagon full of exceptionally strong beverage outside a now abandoned inn. They light it on fire and push the cart down (luckily, the goblins are down a slope) into the goblins lines.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Bom Tishop

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 05:12:13 AM »
The Mechanical Engineers I know are losers.  Electrical is where it is at.

With very few exceptions, electrical engineers I have dealt with can handle graphs, loads, voltages, schematics etc....however have shit for common sense.

My company was doing alot of fab work for a company that was doing electric car conversions, and was doing all the bracket design for the solar panels (fixed and ones that moved following the sun during the day) back when Obama was giving free money to any energy company.

The owner of that company had to be one of the dumbest individuals I have came across even though he had his master's in electrical engineering. He had a very small window he was overly knowledgeable in, but everything else....never ceased to amaze me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 05:52:12 AM »
He was the dumbest individual you ever met, yet, he owns a company that we can assume make money.  ::)

Bom Tishop

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »
He was the dumbest individual you ever met, yet, he owns a company that we can assume make money.  ::)

I said one of....reading comprehension jroa....

Also I said there was a small window of things he was extremely knowledgeable in, quite over developed.

Yes he did make alot of money during the Obama handout. Then when it dried out he started to go under, so moved his manufacturing to Peru. He then met a woman there and ended up moving there himself