I have a degree in Earth Sciences, ask me anything.

• 274 Replies
Re: I have a degree in Earth Sciences, ask me anything.
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »
You have summoned me.

Finally. I've been dancing and chanting for hours. For future reference, are you a bonfire/dancing/chanting kinda guy or a pentagram and dead goat kinda guy?

Ok, I have an actual question that might be related to the round/flat earth thing:

The continental plates are slowly shifting around, right? Given the unofficial but most commonly cited flat earth "map", is there any evidence that the continental plates used to be in contact with each other in a way that is hard to explain on either a flat or round earth (or both)? For example, the southern tip of South America and India, or something?

PS. For the globers among us who get excited from curvature:

Mmmmm... don't we all though?

#RealEarthsHaveCurves

« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
there is no edge we live on a flat infinite plane learn your facts......

Evidence? Your words mean nothing.

the proof is in the air......

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:50 PM »

That's wrong!  the proof is in the pudding......

It makes just as much sense! Maybe we should rename you FLAT_EARTH_69, maybe not, he had better grammar and made more sense.

« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »

It makes just as much sense! Maybe we should rename you FLAT_EARTH_69, maybe not, he had better grammar and made more sense.

the proof is in the air I WILL NOT REPEAT MYSELF

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »

Jrowesceptic?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2016, 06:01:32 AM »

Well, maybe "the proof is in the air" or maybe "the proof is in the mail", but whichever it is, it hasn't been delivered to me yet!

Is one of these your proof?
Quote from: Flat Earth Scientist
1. proof this exist?? none thought so a claim with no evidence so typical of you globers.....
What are you talking about? Certainly not a proof of any Flat Earth!
2. you can see a curve from a plane sometimes but it is just a hill like last year i went into a plane and i saw a curve and was ready to give up flat earth but then the curve ended and it turned out to be a hill.......
::) So you thought it was a curve and it was a hill  ::), certainly NOT a proof of the Flat Earth
3. its all cgi.......
But cgi or not, it is still NOT a proof of the Flat Earth
4. im not just going to trust you...... your probably a paid goverment shill......
So what, it certainly is NOT a proof of the Flat Earth
5. yes it is responsable...... until space travel started globe earth was considered a mere theory that some people believed and it would be washed away later through real scientific process and then nasa went to space and took a picture and everyone believed the earth was a globe and that is proof.......
It may have been proof of the Globe, but lack of those photos is certainly NOT a proof of the Flat Earth
6. WHY DONT THEY WANT TO USE ALL THESE RESOURCES??
No connection with proof of the Flat Earth
7. another lie...... but please do tell me where i can find these satellites that sit perfectly still cause magic and see them with my telescope......
Your NOT seeing something is certainly NOT a proof of the Flat Earth, don't be silly
8. no it is not......
Whateverever is or is not is still certainly NOT a proof of the Flat Earth
9. they would have to factor in the curve on a long railway line otherwise the track would go into space if we lived on a globe......
Railway lines go around curves and over hills much more curved than the earth. So NOT a proof!
10. yes but it would be the perfect place to escape predators.....
The lack of birds in space has nothing to do with a proof of the Flat Earth

None look like proof to me!

So where is this magnificient proof?

« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2016, 06:33:31 AM »
Could tectonic plates shift or drift on a flat plane?
I would love it if RocksEverywhere thought about this and gave his honest opinion.
You have summoned me.

Talking purely plate tectonics, with the plates moving around, driven by the creation of new oceanic crust at spreading ridge, and subduction, I see no issue with a flat earth. In fact, schematic drawings of these systems are usually done with a "flat" earth, as the curvature has no significant effect on these processes. I.e.:

One thing, however, is a slight issue and that would be the border of the flat earth. There are no recorded "fixed" points of crust and this means that plates would be able to slip off the edge. BRB writing a new Hollywood disaster movie. Should I let Australia slip off the edge? Get rid of all those nasty spiders.

Anyway, I guess in the geographical model of the flat earth, Antarctica would be assumed to be fixed anyway (its actually semi stable atm, moving only 1 cm per year toward the Atlantic Ocean) and then it would be a non issue.

PPS. Today I learned there's a Shetland Plate and a Sandwich Plate (LOL) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Plate#/media/File:AntarcticPlate.png

So how does the sun go DOWN below the horizon without getting any smaller?

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »
Could tectonic plates shift or drift on a flat plane?
I would love it if RocksEverywhere thought about this and gave his honest opinion.
You have summoned me.

Talking purely plate tectonics, with the plates moving around, driven by the creation of new oceanic crust at spreading ridge, and subduction, I see no issue with a flat earth. In fact, schematic drawings of these systems are usually done with a "flat" earth, as the curvature has no significant effect on these processes. I.e.:

One thing, however, is a slight issue and that would be the border of the flat earth. There are no recorded "fixed" points of crust and this means that plates would be able to slip off the edge. BRB writing a new Hollywood disaster movie. Should I let Australia slip off the edge? Get rid of all those nasty spiders.

Anyway, I guess in the geographical model of the flat earth, Antarctica would be assumed to be fixed anyway (its actually semi stable atm, moving only 1 cm per year toward the Atlantic Ocean) and then it would be a non issue.

PPS. Today I learned there's a Shetland Plate and a Sandwich Plate (LOL) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Plate#/media/File:AntarcticPlate.png

How about you learn your facts?

i know my facts all you know is lies.......
Other way around kiddo.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
Finally. I've been dancing and chanting for hours. For future reference, are you a bonfire/dancing/chanting kinda guy or a pentagram and dead goat kinda guy?

I prefer my goats alive and prancing around. They're magnificent.

Ok, I have an actual question that might be related to the round/flat earth thing:

The continental plates are slowly shifting around, right? Given the unofficial but most commonly cited flat earth "map", is there any evidence that the continental plates used to be in contact with each other in a way that is hard to explain on either a flat or round earth (or both)? For example, the southern tip of South America and India, or something?

A different projection should not matter, distances and angles get skewed but Mexico is still next to the USA, if you get what I mean. However this does mean that if a continent moves over a large distance, projected in the "top view", it would get warped a lot. For example how  Only the proposed edge of the flat earth will be a cause of issues. For example how Australia looks massive, and if it would move northward it would "shrink". Expect Flat Earthers to say that paleogeographical reconstructions are a shill lie and that any continent warping is due to tectonics.

The thread should be more accurately re-titled I am your asshole high school geography teacher, ask me anything.

There is NOTHING new here and most certainly NOTHING that requires a degree.
Why thank you. This thread is not named "I have a degree in Earth Sciences and I'll prove it", in case you're confused.

PS. Geography sucks.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
Rabinoz, I certainly applaud your effort to discredit this flathead "scientist", but he's made it quite clear, multiple times throughout this forum that he knows nothing. The only answers he gives are links to his weak, low content, fantasy YouTube videos. Nowhere on this forum has he stated in his own words ANYTHING of value.

« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2016, 11:40:43 AM »
PS. Geography sucks.
Anything more folks need to know about tectonic plates??

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
RocksEverywhere, what is your favorite geological phenomenon?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

why is it making me add a subject?
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
poor dude came here offering help.. shit he didn't even say it was only for one side

..and all he gets is abuse?

that's quite disrespectful if you ask me

« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
It seems most FE'rs agree that if you have an education, it somehow is connected to the government and or NASA. Therefore you must be in on the conspiracy.
That's how I see it anyway.

« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
It seems most FE'rs agree that if you have an education, it somehow is connected to the government and or NASA. Therefore you must be in on the conspiracy.

that is not true many people even working for nasa dont know the truth only the higher ups do......

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

Who are these "most FE'ers" you are referring to? The ones who are obviously here to troll the site? You guys keep on feeding them, though. Then you can blame most FEers when the threads turn to shit.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »

that is not true many people even working for nasa dont know the truth only the higher ups do......
And the astronauts...
And the operators...
And the physicists...
And the astrodynamicists...
And the scientists...
And the programmers...
And the roboticists...
And the engineers...

They would very quickly figure out that physics wasn't working the way it should.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
PS. Geography sucks.
Anything more folks need to know about tectonic plates??

Uhm. Do you even know the difference between geography and geology or are you just here to try to piss me off?

RocksEverywhere, what is your favorite geological phenomenon?

That's the hardest question you could possibly ask. I think I'll go with subduction. The thought of a thick slab of crust slowly moving down into steamy hot mantle makes me happy. It's incredible what kinds of rocks you get by putting them under great pressure through a process like this. A few examples:

I like to call this "christmas tree rock" but the actual name is eclogite

Blueschist, the name speaks for itself.

Thrusting is pretty great too, huehuehue

Source: XKCD.com

PS drunk while posting this.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Those are great  ;D

My favorite is liquefaction, I don't know if that qualifies as a geological phenomenon by itself, but I like it. Also, I'm glad it's not something I have to worry about where I live!

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
It definitely counts! Quite fascinating too, you never see it coming but it's quite dangerous.

Thanks for the interest everyone :)

« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2016, 05:03:54 PM »

Who are these "most FE'ers" you are referring to? The ones who are obviously here to troll the site? You guys keep on feeding them, though. Then you can blame most FEers when the threads turn to shit.
Well in my defense, as I haven't been here that long, like 2 weeks if that, that's the kind of logic I'm seeing. As far as FE'rs go, you happen to be the only one who makes any sense at all. So until I see otherwise, what else am I to think? It's like there's this massive conspiracy going on, and only FE'rs know the truth.
Maybe I joined at the wrong time? Or simply have yet to see any real discussion.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »

Well in my defense, as I haven't been here that long, like 2 weeks if that, that's the kind of logic I'm seeing. As far as FE'rs go, you happen to be the only one who makes any sense at all. So until I see otherwise, what else am I to think? It's like there's this massive conspiracy going on, and only FE'rs know the truth.
Maybe I joined at the wrong time? Or simply have yet to see any real discussion.

Yeah, I know you're kinda new. Sorry if I was a bit crabby  :P

This site has always attracted trolls, it makes it fun sometimes! Anyone can join and claim to be anything. Usually they claim to be a RE scientist so they can appeal to their own authority, sometimes they claim to be FE so they can post ridiculous stuff to make us all look bad. Eventually you can tell when someone is full of shit. Like I think RocksEverywhere is not lying when he says he's a geologist, but recently there was a guy claiming to be a physics teacher who didn't know basic physics. Plus there are FE who are kinda weird, but it doesn't seem like they are faking the weirdness (that is hard to explain). If you stick around you'll get the hang of it. 

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »

I haven't been here that long but honestly, this is far and away the least ridiculous AMA I've seen on this site.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
The AMA threads seem like a recent phenomenon, I think. At least, to the degree that they are showing up right now.

« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »
-googles "what is AMA" real quick...
Ah! OK.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »
The AMA threads seem like a recent phenomenon, I think. At least, to the degree that they are showing up right now.

The first one I saw was started by iWitness. It seems like a very masochistic thing to do. On this forum I don't know how you aren't setting yourself up as a punching bag whenever you start one.

« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »
I bought a 30-year-old high school geography textbook for $0.50 at a garage sale, ask me anything.

P.S.:  The book has an index at the back!!!

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2016, 12:51:56 AM »
I bought a 30-year-old high school geography textbook for $0.50 at a garage sale, ask me anything.

@rocksEverywhere,

Meet Charming Anarchist.  I know the question on your mind.  Has he ever said anything even slightly interesting to anyone ever?  The answer is no, no he has not.  You could block him if you wish.  Best thing really. 

I wouldn't recommend having  conversation with him.  He'll just drop a lame one liner like "you shills are terrible", leave and never read any of your responses and in his mind declare victory.

The worst part is that he's mistakenly under the impression that this is somehow clever.

Try not to judge FE by his behavior.  They do get better.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:56 AM »

First of all, you formulate your questions in a very strange way and secondly, my education has not prepared me for this kind of question. Sorry I can't help you, try Flat Earth Scientist.

UpstartPixel

• Troll with intellectual aspirations
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »

I haven't been here that long but honestly, this is far and away the least ridiculous AMA I've seen on this site.

True dat. But then the bar is quite low to begin with.