Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?

• 35 Replies

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:22:41 AM »
A simple question.

I want to see false answers and want have some fun  :)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
Re: Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 05:31:45 AM »
Let make some jokes and laugh me . You the demonic hellions, You little pickle!. :)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:40:59 AM »
Probably because the aerial used is a dipole? which is propagating better horizontally where the cell phone company expects most customers are going to be located and there is almost no point in sending signals higher.  The idea of cell phones is that you only have a local cell rather than some enormous transmitter.   Cell phone transmitters are usually low power transmitters, however there must be something directional about the aerial because even a 5w airband VHF transmitter will work for hundreds of kilometers by line of sight.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:47:21 AM by Aliveandkicking »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:57 AM »
A simple question.

So you "want to see false answers"! What about this?

Some aircraft are now fitted with a local cell-phone repeater, and in this case, you can use the phone but it might be expensive!

But, if the aircraft is not fitted with a local cell-phone repeater, you should not use cell phones in flying aircraft at all.

You might find out that sometimes the phones will work, but it might cause the phone user no end of trouble!

As we all know cell phones use ground-based "towers".

The following applies mainly to GSM phones, though 3G and 4G might have a similar problem.

The main reason you should not use the phone is that from a high altitude it might connect to multiple towers at widely separated locations.

If a cell-phone carrier finds two phones with the same IMEI connected to widely separated different points in the network, the carrier will regard one phone as an illegal "clone" and probably disconnect both phones from the network, so the phone does not work at all anymore.

I did say, "it might connect", because the antennas are directed horizontally and would little signal at high altitude,

So, why do you claim that cell-phones will not work at 30,000 ft.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:47:50 AM »
Permanent liar arrived but i can't see his post. And the other one. Lalalalaaaa no one can answer it.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 05:48:46 AM »
Let make some jokes and laugh me . You the demonic hellions, You little pickle!. :)
You are really a low vindictive type aren't you!

I have made no jokes and I have answered all posts as honestly as I can.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:54:29 AM »
Permanent liar arrived but i can't see his post. And the other one. Lalalalaaaa no one can answer it.
Yes, but I KNOW that I am telling the truth Mr İntikam, so smirk all you like.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 06:18:08 AM »
There is some man a bad hat here. Knows he is ignored but trying to take attention. Who do that with knowing he is ignored,  both parasitic , and retarded.

yes you can talk freely like a parasite . I also said in my mind freely about you.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:51 AM »
Seems you are affraid of the answer. Why?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:56 AM »
A simple question.
It isn't so much that cell phones don't work on airplanes.  It's more like the FAA doesn't like random RF signals that might possibly interfere with flight navigation systems.  It wasn't until fairly recently that some of those rules have been relaxed somewhat.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »

I just ignore who irreverent. This is not a fear, this is a punishment by their crime.

Crime and Punishment.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:50:28 AM »
A simple question.
It isn't so much that cell phones don't work on airplanes.  It's more like the FAA doesn't like random RF signals that might possibly interfere with flight navigation systems.  It wasn't until fairly recently that some of those rules have been relaxed somewhat.

Try to open your cell phone on 30.000 feets or more. I'm believing you'll see it's not work. Especially it doesn't work on the place far to the lands. It does not make sense to forbid cell phones for airworthiness. This is not a convincing forbid. maybe they do not want us to know something .
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
Cell phones communicate with cell towers. Sattelite phones would work though.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
There is some man a bad hat here. Knows he is ignored but trying to take attention. Who do that with knowing he is ignored,  both parasitic , and retarded.

yes you can talk freely like a parasite . I also said in my mind freely about you.

So, to the extent that I can understand anything you're saying...you're asking a question, preemptively dismissing any answers whatsoever as false and those answering as "retarded" or "liars", and "ignoring" people by repeatedly telling them that you're ignoring them?

Fun.
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
The best part is that he probably reads all the blocked people anyways, but he cannot respond without everybody knowing that he is full of shit.
Please give me ideas.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
Guys, take a look at intikam.

Thats why you shouldn't do drugs and shouldn't be a religious fanatic!
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
From my experience with satellite phones (which is not very extensive), I don't think they would work in the metal fuselage, any more than GPS will work under a metal roof.
In a passenger plane I had to put the GPS unit right against the window to get it to lock on, then it would stay locked so long as it was near the window.

Using GPS in a small plane (Cessna 205) sitting in the right-hand seat GPS worked very well - nice big windows.
Try "dead-reckoning" flying of outback Western Australia in the bushfire season. You can't see a thing from 5,000 feet for the smoke and enougn wind to put you 10 off course.

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »
Pretty sure this is the dumbest thread yet.

Great job Intikam!

flatmarstinfoilhatter69

• I like space. space space space.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »

I just ignore who irreverent. This is not a fear, this is a punishment by their crime.

Crime and Punishment.
For what? speeking or maybe throwing the occasional insult on a PUBLIC FORUM?
and what about the answers it seems you have not given anyone of them a single thought?
Intikam seems to like to lower the bar for Flat Earthers.
Sun mirages are my favorite.
F.E. is obviously a joke to many so they can  play with it.
Permanent liar arrived but i can't see his post. And the other one. Lalalalaaaa no on

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
I fail to see any possibility connection between "Why don't cell phones work on airplanes at 30,000 ft?" and the Flat/Globe earth debate.

But undoubtedly our omniscient İntikam will prove that it's a NASA/ISIS/SATANIST conspiracy.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »
A simple question.

Some aircraft are now fitted with a local cell-phone repeater, and in this case, you can use the phone but it might be expensive!

But, if the aircraft is not fitted with a local cell-phone repeater, you should not use cell phones in flying aircraft at all.

You might find out that sometimes the phones will work, but it might cause the phone user no end of trouble!

The following applies mainly to GSM phones, though 3G and 4G might have a similar problem.

The main reason you should not use the phone is that from a high altitude it might connect to multiple towers at widely separated locations.

If a cell-phone carrier finds two phones with the same IMEI connected to widely separated different points in the network, the carrier will regard one phone as an illegal "clone" and probably disconnect both phones from the network, so the phone does not work at all anymore.

I did say, "it might connect", because the antennas are directed horizontally and would little signal at high altitude,

Was a good answer, what do you think  Intikim? Theres some pretty strong points addressed there.

Plus I'm not ignored, yet.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »

where the most important finding.

Sattelite phones would not work too. It is just a bit bigger than cell phones and "sattelite phone towers" are a bit stronger then cell towers. It is just difference between them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:44:49 PM by İntikam »
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • Soul Transformer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
A simple question.

Was a good answer, what do you think  Intikim? Theres some pretty strong points addressed there.

Plus I'm not ignored, yet.

A hard situation for me because the user you quoted but i ignored him but there is a one sided conversation between him. There is two ways for me. 1- if you know i ignore him and deliberately quoted for i see his post that i don't wanted, this is disrespecting to my act. 2- if you don't know i ignore him this is a interrupting a conversation. Actually not but your "deeds are by intention". You were ignored by disrespecting  or interrupting a conversation.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 01:15:39 AM »
I think the problem is that intikim is an idiot. He starts with a false premise and then continues on and on and on with it to absurd levels - in this thread 30,000 feet.

The reason they dont work is exceedingly obvious to pretty much everyone except this prize fool. It also has precisely nothing to do with flat earth - yet another fact that has escaped the two neurons between his ears.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
A hard situation for me because the user you quoted but i ignored him but there is a one sided conversation between him. There is two ways for me. 1- if you know i ignore him and deliberately quoted for i see his post that i don't wanted, this is disrespecting to my act. 2- if you don't know i ignore him this is a interrupting a conversation. Actually not but your "deeds are by intention". You were ignored by disrespecting  or interrupting a conversation.

That's your problem, not ours!

deadsirius

• Crime Machine
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 04:59:11 AM »
Is anyone here not being ignored?

I tried to figure out how to "ignore" Initkam just so this thread could attain peak pointlessness, but I guess that's a privileged function.
Suffering from a martyr complex...so you don't have to

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 06:42:05 AM »
I am decidedly non-techie and I don't know for a fact that cellphones don't work on planes, but assuming the question correctly states it:  Cell phones work by connecting via radio waves to a relay device contained in a cell tower which is commonly posted at the top of some earthbound structure (such as a building or a telegraph pole).  These relays have to be posted within a limited number of miles of each other and of the cellphones involved in the call. That's why the various cellphone companies issue those maps that show parts of the US (densely populated areas) colored in and other parts (sparsely populated) blank, to show their coverage - they haven't bothered to put up many relays where they don't expect many customers.

By the same token, in a plane 6 miles up, a cellphone probably lacks the power to get its signal to a cell tower and, morever, the plane is probably moving at such a speed that, if the cellphone could reach a relay, it would be changing from one cell tower to the next every few seconds which is enough to baffle the cellphone system.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:43:45 AM by Cartog »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »

Sattelite phones would not work too. It is just a bit bigger than cell phones and "sattelite phone towers" are a bit stronger then cell towers. It is just difference between them.
Do you have any evidence?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »

No sattelite phones commujicate directly with sattelites. Youbgetba pretty atrocious lag in conversations, but they work anywhere (except deep undetground).
Please give me ideas.