sun behind the horizon

• 62 Replies
Re: sun behind the horizon
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 11:56:06 PM »
Sinking mirage? Look at my signature. Even if you ask FE directly, they can't answer/defend their own argument.

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 02:20:04 AM »
Perspective and refraction.  Have you read the wiki or the FAQ?

As the sun gets lower and lower in the sky, and therefore getting further and further away from the observer (in the FE model), the sun's angular diameter should be getting progressively smaller and smaller. The fact that it does not change size at all, obviously disproves the flat earth model conclusively. No doubt you'll have some 'let's make some shit up' theory that explains why the sun's size doesn't change at all throughout the day?
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 02:55:54 AM »
You can watch the sun setting from the bottom of a hill until it disappears from sight, climb in  a car and drive to the top of the hill, and see the sun magically rising again while you drive, watch the sun setting again from the top, hop into a hot air balloon and see the sun rising again while you ascend, watch it set again while at a constant height, see a jet above you still in sunlight, so they have not seen the sun set yet, then later back down on the ground see the underside of clouds illuminated by the 3000 mile high sun that disappeared some time ago on a flat earth, yet its rays can still light up something above you. Wow, perspective is a strange beast! I guess something called curvature could explain this easily!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 04:23:13 AM »

As the sun gets lower and lower in the sky, and therefore getting further and further away from the observer (in the FE model), the sun's angular diameter should be getting progressively smaller and smaller. The fact that it does not change size at all, obviously disproves the flat earth model conclusively. No doubt you'll have some 'let's make some shit up' theory that explains why the sun's size doesn't change at all throughout the day?
As for jroa''s "Perspective and refraction", I have challanged him before as light coming from a less dense medium ("vacuum") get bent away from the normal by around 20!

But when it comes to the constancy of size, of course we must look up "the Wiki", and get the "helpful"
hacked by Mr.DreamX196
[!] Indonesian Intelligence Security

Flat Earth ?? This is just fxxxing fact

So we look to the SacredTexts,  and get: From Chapter 10 of the book Earth Not a Globe we read:
IT is well known that when a light of any kind shines through a dense medium it appears larger, or magnified, at a given distance than when it is seen through a lighter medium. This is more remarkable when the medium holds aqueous particles or vapour in solution, as in a damp or foggy atmosphere. Anyone may be satisfied of this by standing within a few yards of an ordinary street lamp, and noticing the size of the flame; on going away to many times the distance, the light upon the atmosphere will appear considerably larger. This phenomenon may be noticed, to a greater or less degree, at all times; but when the air is moist and vapoury it is more intense. It is evident that at sunrise, and at sunset, the sun's light must shine through a greater length of atmospheric air than at mid-day; besides which, the air near the earth is both more dense, and holds more watery particles in solution, than the higher strata through which the sun shines at noonday; and hence the light must be dilated or magnified, as well as modified in colour.
From "Earth Not a Globe", Samuel Birley Rowbotham

So now you "know"!

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »
No, you don't. Foggy (etc) thing increases the halo. Sun's halo can be easily filtered out.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »
Brouwer is getting mad.  Don't be so mad.  You can believe the Earth is any shape you want!

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 08:43:38 AM »
No, you don't. Foggy (etc) thing increases the halo. Sun's halo can be easily filtered out.

.... but unfortunately JROA's ignorance to fact, mathematics and science cannot be filtered out.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »

.... but unfortunately JROA's ignorance to fact, mathematics and science cannot be filtered out.

It is jroa, thank you very much. 

chtwrone

• Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2016, 03:20:58 AM »

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge that the sun is the same angular size throughout the day, despite the fact that it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky and therefore much further away from the observer, only serves to highlight how flawed the flat earth model is. How weak and pathetic that you can't even offer at least some plausible explanation to this huge hole in the flat earth model. Oh, if you hadn't already realised, the flat earth model is a sad pathetic joke, and so are the ignorant fools that support it.
Well done NASA - 12 men on the moon and back again.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge that the sun is the same angular size throughout the day, despite the fact that it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky and therefore much further away from the observer, only serves to highlight how flawed the flat earth model is. How weak and pathetic that you can't even offer at least some plausible explanation to this huge hole in the flat earth model. Oh, if you hadn't already realised, the flat earth model is a sad pathetic joke, and so are the ignorant fools that support it.
Yes, jroa seems unable to explain anything outside his training in "Flat Earth Theory 101"!

I posted this earlier in this thread
I think we've seen all that numerous times.
But,
Perspective makes things appear smaller. The sun's angular size does not change, see The Constancy of the Angular size of the Sun.

Refraction in the atmosphere generally makes object appear higher, not lower and in any case it is quite impossible for the atmosphere to refract light the 20 or so needed to make the sun at a claimed 3,000 mile height reach the horizon.

And, the OP asked "how does the sun disappear behind the horizon?" That observation has never been explained.

Any more ideas?

Still no meaningful explanations apart from the nonsensical "atmoplanic lensing"? Yes, however do planar surfaces form lenses? I haven't a clue?

To me the "The Constancy of the Angular size of the Sun" proves a very distant sun as do some other simple observations.
And this fits perfectly with the sun setting behind the horizon.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2016, 08:12:08 AM »

He wasn't talking about you.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
"the fact that it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky and therefore much further away from the observer..."

In the currently accepted model of Earth, when it rotates, does the sun not move farther away from the observer?

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
"the fact that it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky and therefore much further away from the observer..."

In the currently accepted model of Earth, when it rotates, does the sun not move farther away from the observer?
Not a lot...

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »

Not a lot...
Specifically, from noon to sunset the distance changes by the radius of the earth, 4,000 miles.  This is four one thousandth of a percent of the solar distance.  Imperceptible.

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »
"it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky"

How weak and pathetic that you can't even offer at least some plausible explanation to this huge hole in the flat earth model.

Maybe the size difference is...

Imperceptible.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »
"it should be obviously much smaller when it's lower in the sky"

How weak and pathetic that you can't even offer at least some plausible explanation to this huge hole in the flat earth model.

Maybe the size difference is...

Imperceptible.
Still up to your usual tricks of fabricating a story by very selective quotations!

When this was written
Specifically, from noon to sunset the distance changes by the radius of the earth, 4,000 miles.  This is four one thousandth of a percent of the solar distance.  Imperceptible.
Sam Hill was obviously referring the very slight relative change in distance to the sun in Globe earth and not the size of the sun in the Flat Earth model!

I suppose once a deceiver, always a deceiver.

The evidence for the Flat Earth must be terribly weak if you need to prop it up with deceit like this.

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2016, 01:40:27 AM »
Their paranoid schizophrenia makes them incapable of learning or logic.

You make me so very angry.

I hope you fall in a hole with your entire family and all your friends around, and none of them care enough  to get you out of the hole.

And you are so charming, aren't you? And it is interesting that you dont dispute my assertion because it is true. Nothing else explains the inability to perceive that which is undeniably true.

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
If this guy is actually a practicing psychologist, I have lost faith in the entire mental health system

He's just using pathological psychology terms as a form of insult. I'm sure he isn't a practicing psychologist, but you still shouldn't have any faith in the mental health system.

Wise words indeed.

You seem to have a problem with truth.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:38:44 PM by fliggs »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »
Enjoy your vacation! I just took a look at your most recent posts and nearly everyone was insults and no content. Use the time to find your happy place! Write another book! Reconnect with loved ones! Become a healthy human being!
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

narcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
ANOTHER VICTORY FOR FE!!!!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
ANOTHER VICTORY FOR FE!!!!

You must have a weird idea of "victory" to claim that. I guess it's right up there with the usual flat earth logic.

Unless you think you have one simply because Ski's was the last post!

Enjoy your vacation! I just took a look at your most recent posts and nearly everyone was insults and no content. Use the time to find your happy place! Write another book! Reconnect with loved ones! Become a healthy human being!

?

narcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
Please do not insult the moderators or I will have to give you a 1 hour ban.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

You are just a troll!
You claim " ::) ::) or I will have to give you a 1 hour ban  ::) ::)". Ski could and would if he thought what I did "was against the rule" (sorry that was May's little lamb with the sooty foot).

But, I was not insulting ski, I was just commenting that his post could in no way be counted as "victory to FE". He was just giving pretty sound advice to everyone.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
1 hour ban is now in effect.  Maybe rab will learn his lesson. 

?

narcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »
ANOTHER VICTORY FOR FE!!!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 03:58:08 AM »
Wot 'ave I did now?  Once I know I can be suitably penitent.

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »

jroa = narcberry confirmed? :/

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:01 PM »
Tr = n00b

Confirmed.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »

jroa = narcberry confirmed? :/
I must disagree.
Narcberry just post useless words, with no explanation or evidence, while
jroa posts dreamed up explanations bolstered up by funny fisiks that bears no relationship to real physics - like lenses with planar surfaces.

?

narcberry

• Reason > RET
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
Please do not insult moderators or I will give you another 1 hour ban.