Please Explain What Earth Looks Like.

• 298 Replies

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
Re: Please Explain What Earth Looks Like.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
"So the earth is not exactly an ellipsoid (an oblate spheroid)..."

Yes, it varies by a whole 106 m below and 85 m above the ellipsoid - big deal, when the average radius is about 6,371,000 m!

Of course, in the days before satellites, this sort of accuracy would be unheard of, but if you want your GPS to be within ±5 m it is essential.

But my GPS works within +/- 1m as far as I know.

SATELLITES ARE A LIE MY GPS IS TOO ACCURATE!!!!!!!
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »
Invalid! Show the calculations for the major and minor axis'! Earth is supposedly an oblate spheroid, not a sphere!

The actual shape of the earth is described as the "Geoid":
Quote from: Wikipedia
Geoid
The geoid is the shape that the surface of the oceans would take under the influence of Earth's gravitation and rotation alone, in the absence of other influences such as winds and tides. This surface is extended through the continents (such as with very narrow hypothetical canals). All points on the geoid have the same gravity potential energy (the sum of gravitational potential energy and centrifugal potential energy). The force of gravity acts everywhere perpendicular to the geoid, meaning that plumb lines point perpendicular and water levels parallel to the geoid.
Much more in Wikipedia, Geoid

This is not a simple shape as it is a sphere distorted by rotation and by the unequal distribution masses around the earth.
Quote from: Wikipedia, Geoid, Description
Description
The geoid surface is irregular, unlike the reference ellipsoid, which is a mathematical idealized representation of the physical Earth, but considerably smoother than Earth's physical surface. Although the physical Earth has excursions of +8,848 m (Mount Everest) and −429 m (Dead Sea), the geoid's variation ranges from −106 to +85 m, less than 200 m total compared to a perfect mathematical ellipsoid.[/size]

Because the actual geoid is so complicated a reference ellipsoid is used as a mathematical model for calculation purposes.
As noted above the differences are small, ranging from −106 to +85 m.

Simpler and more complex "mathematical models" are used depending on the application.

So the earth is not exactly an ellipsoid (an oblate spheroid), but is close enough to one for most purposes.

The comment that it is "slightly pear-shaped" comes from the fact that South of the Equator the earth is minutely bigger than North of the Equator, though still within this −106 to +85 m of the perfect mathematical ellipsoid.

Alright, so the difference from a perfect sphere is -106 to +85 meter.

If I divide 12.756 km (Diameter of Earth) by 3000 pixels (Apollo 17 Blue Marble on Wikipedia) we get 4,252 km.

So 4,2 km is a single pixel at 3000 by 3000.

A difference of -106 and +85 meter will be... less than one pixel. So you won't be able to see the minute difference.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:27:05 AM by Denspressure »
):

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
The comment that it is "slightly pear-shaped" comes from the fact that South of the Equator the earth is minutely bigger than North of the Equator, though still within this −106 to +85 m of the perfect mathematical ellipsoid.

If I divide 12.756 km (Diameter of Earth) by 3000 pixels (Apollo 17 Blue Marble on Wikipedia) we get 4,252 km.

A difference of -106 and +85 meter will be... less than one pixel. So you won't be able to see the minute difference.
Not quite, what the statement said was not "the difference from a perfect sphere is -106 to +85 meter", but
"the geoid's variation ranges from −106 to +85 m, less than 200 m total compared to a perfect mathematical ellipsoid."

This ellipsoid (or oblate spheroid) with "distances from points on the surface to the center range from 6,353 km to 6,384 km".
From Wikipedia, Earth radius.
That is a much bigger deviation from a perfect sphere.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »
Do you really think that radius and diameter are the same things?
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
Do you really think that radius and diameter are the same things?
I believe that's the level we are working at...
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »

Not quite, what the statement said was not "the difference from a perfect sphere is -106 to +85 meter", but
"the geoid's variation ranges from −106 to +85 m, less than 200 m total compared to a perfect mathematical ellipsoid."

This ellipsoid (or oblate spheroid) with "distances from points on the surface to the center range from 6,353 km to 6,384 km".
From Wikipedia, Earth radius.
That is a much bigger deviation from a perfect sphere.

Sorry, English is not my native language, geometry is not my strong suit, so I have some difficulty in grasping shapes.

Ahh... so the Earth is an oblate spheroid. And the differences mentioned are the differences from a perfect oblate spheroid?

Here is an extreme exaggeration, and what the FE'ers are claiming we should see on Apollo photos:

But like  I said with the pixel calculation before (Not that good in math, so could be wrong here) 200 meter is still MASSIVELY too small to be 1 pixel.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:52:44 PM by Denspressure »
):

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
"Because the actual geoid is so complicated a reference ellipsoid is used as a mathematical model for calculation purposes."

So the earth is not exactly an ellipsoid (an oblate spheroid), but is close enough to one for most purposes.

I do not see any logic in this. If its so complicated that you can't calculate it with real numbers, I am unconvinced!

When was last time that " 2+2 = 4.2 " was accepted as mathematical fact!?
In fact how did the topic turn to pixels??? Do we now base our calculations on photos of earth to prove its shape?
Not acceptable!

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
"Because the actual geoid is so complicated a reference ellipsoid is used as a mathematical model for calculation purposes."

I do not see any logic in this. If its so complicated that you can't calculate it with real numbers, I am unconvinced!

In fact how did the topic turn to pixels??? Do we now base our calculations on photos of earth to prove its shape?
Not acceptable!

How would you go about calculating the shape of an orange?

How would you go about calculating the shape of a flat earth?

You seem to be ranting and raving over nothing of consequence whatsoever.

The earth is almost perfectly round but is in fact an oblate spheroid with bumps on it.

What is the problem about this?????

N30

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »
Well, because doing "not exactly" and "close enough" type of mathematics does not cut it for me.
At least show me how you know its a "spheroid with bumps", because all empirical evidence says otherwise!
Keeping equations from 240 B.C. with numbers used from "walking to the next city and counting the steps",
Evidently seems like nonsense to me, now that we know that earth cannot be calculated assuming it is a sphere.

Unless history is wrong, and Eratosthenes did not divide by 360 degrees in his equation to find the diameter of Earth.
Please, show me the math!

Heres an answer from a quick google search!

Ayush Sharma -reads constantly about earth and geology
"Earth is an ellipsoid , which is oblate spheroid
Earth's polar radius is smaller than equatorial radius , also it assumes earth to be homogeneous , without any mountains or trenches (like space images), though if that was true  mean sea level would coincide with it but it doesn't , Cos earth has mountains and trenches
So their is difference in local heights from ellipsoid model, the geoid model accounts for it
Geoid model is based on data collected by gravitational feild of earth
Vertical distance b.w  geoid and ellipsoid model is called geoid height it can be positive or negative.
It is important to remember that earth is not of any particular shape as it is randomly punched with trenches plains and mountains."

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=whats%20the%20difference%20between%20an%20oblate%20spheroid%20and%20a%20perfect%20oblate%20spheroid

Err.... Am I supposed to accept that?
Really?
Exactly why is this so confusing if someone from 240 BC could calculate it?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
Lol n30 is batshitcrazy  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

?

zork

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
Well, because doing "not exactly" and "close enough" type of mathematics does not cut it for me.
This type of math does not sit with you but - here we have flat earth without any math and unable to determine in any way its size and shape - this kind of no math sits very well?
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »

Not acceptable!

You "do not see any logic in this. If its so complicated that you can't calculate it with real numbers," you are "unconvinced!"

Well, tough cheese, Mr N30! You cannot calculate the shape of the a physical object like the earth, you have to measure it!

And nowhere did I say we "now base our calculations on photos of earth to prove its shape"!

In earlier times some relatively small measurement was taken, and extrapolated to estimate the dimensions of the whole earth.

Erosthanes measured a distance and a latitude spacing (from sun elevation) and extrapolated to the whole circumference.

Al Biruni measured the "dip angle"[1] from a measured altitude to the horizon, used that to calculate the "curvature" and hence the radius. His measurement, done around 1,000 AD, was probably the most accurate measurement till recent times. It was amazingly (and maybe fortuitously) accurate, though he was a meticulous surveyor.

More recently (say from 1,600's on) a baseline would be surveyed in distance and latitude separation, and extrapolated to 360° (basically Erosthanes method). This has been done at various latitudes (from around Newton's time) to find the "ellipticity".

It is only comparatively recently, by using satellites, that more direct and accurate measurements of shape of the Earth have been possibile.

But, you cannot "calculate" the shape of a (very slightly) irregular object like the Earth.

Now it's your turn. Show me your precise calculations for
         the circumference of the flat earth,
         the circumference at the equator of the flat earth and
         the height of the sun.

[1] By the way Al Biruni's dip angle measurement gives the lie to the Flat Earth claim that "the horizon always rises to eye-level". It doesn't.

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
Why is Earth officially defined as on oblate spheroid wider south of equatorial locations, making a pear shape.
--- because people are starting to smell the globullshit from across the oceans. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Why is Earth officially defined as on oblate spheroid wider south of equatorial locations, making a pear shape.
--- because people are starting to smell the globullshit from across the oceans.
;D ;) Wouldn't you be more comfortable in Australia where we all stand on our heads?  ;) ::)

SpJunk

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »

Imagine if Earth was flat and you could actualy SEE it across that ocean.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

SpJunk

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 07:31:48 PM »

Do you think he said that as a description, or as an instruction?
Nobody ever changed the facts before him, so he had to give his permission to people?
Or he just noted people's behavior?

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
At least show me how you know its a "spheroid with bumps", because all empirical evidence says otherwise!

The oblate spheroid empirical evidence has been overwhelming for hundreds of years.

The French of all people confirmed by astronomical observation by 1735 in a number of expeditions around Europe and to Peru the Earth was best described as an oblate spheroid. 

(Even in 1786, it was possible to survey by triangulation the surface of the Earth without reference to the stars, and show the Earth was not flat)

At the end of the day why does the exact precise shape matter to you??    Measuring the shape of the Earth to show it is not flat is something children can do with a bit of assistance.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:50:57 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »
Well, because doing "not exactly" and "close enough" type of mathematics does not cut it for me

N30 will not accept vague answers guys. He will leave no stone unturned in his quest for truth. Except for all of those stones that are covering fake "evidence" of a globe earth. Those stones can stay put. They are shills and they're part of the conspiracy. How much are they paying these stones anyway? Pretty brilliant if you ask me. Planting fake evidence under stones. Sinister. But brilliant.

Keep up the good work N30. Don't let facts or rational argument get in the way of your pursuit for truth. You're an inspiration to us all.

N30

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

"They are shills and they're part of the conspiracy."
"...covering fake "evidence" of a globe earth."

At the end of the day why does the exact precise shape matter to you??    Measuring the shape of the Earth to show it is not flat is something children can do..."

"How much are they paying these stones anyway?"

"I get 100.- per hour."

"N30 will not accept vague answers guys."

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »

At the end of the day why does the exact precise shape matter to you??    Measuring the shape of the Earth to show it is not flat is something children can do..."

With a bit of assistance a child can measure the earth to show it is not flat.

N30

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
With a bit of "assistance" a child can be made to believe anything!
Alrighty then, please, prove that you are not just hocking "facts" to steer people away from finding REAL answers.
Keep in mind, I still have not seen any calculations proving Earth to be an oblate spheroid with "bumps".
Exactly where can I find evidence that in 1735 France proved an oblate Earth? This is what I found...

"They completed their survey measurements by 1739, measuring the length of a meridian arc of three degrees at the Equator. They did this in spite of earlier news that the expedition to Lapland led by Maupertuis had already finished their work and had proven that the Earth is oblate, i.e., flattened at the poles. However, problems with astronomical observations kept them in Ecuador several more years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Geodesic_Mission

Unless you can prove otherwise, there is no information about the methods they used, or their calculations!
Precisely how did they prove Earth was oblate?

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »

Not acceptable!

Greetings N30,

Lets look at the Blue marble from Apollo 17, are you suggesting we should should see Earth there as an ellipsoid? the resolution of the file on Wikipedia is 3000 by 3000, not enough to see the tiny difference between the polar diameter and equator diameter, which makes Earth slightly different from a perfect sphere.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:36:41 PM by Denspressure »
):

N30

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
I am not interested in looking at doctored photos from NASA.

All that matters to me is real math, and real science.
Mathematic equations from 240 BC that are now invalid and fruitless expeditions from 1735 do not sway me.

Not only has my question been unanswered, but you seem to have disregarded my last post.
Exactly why can no one show me an equation proving Earth to be an oblate spheroid, after all a child can do it.
Oh... wait, maybe the reason is because it is flat!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:52:50 PM by N30 »

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »

Mathematic equations from 240 BC that are now invalid and fruitless expeditions from 1735 do not sway me.

Not only has my question been unanswered, but you seem to have disregarded my last post.
Exactly why can no one show me an equation proving Earth to be an oblate spheroid, after all a child can do it.

Hello again,

You have no interest in supposedly doctored photos from NASA, but bring it up in an argument against RE. Claiming that we should see the oblate spheroid in the photo. If you want to debunk an Apollo photo, feel free to bring up arguments and evidence, there are various Apollo topics for that. I don't want to get too off-topic and start that here.

I pointed out with math that the difference is too small to be be seen on Earth photos that I know, even at 10.000 by 10.000 pixels a difference of 200 meter is too little.

Feel free to point out if there is anything wrong with my calculation, one learns from mistakes.

I didn't try to answer your other questions because I don't know enough about them. I have not researched how to calculate the shape and diameter of the Earth, I am obviously not going to say something without having done research first. But that does not keep me from contributing against other arguments I know answers for.

Cheers,
Snake
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:25:57 PM by Denspressure »
):

SpJunk

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
"French minister of the navy understood that it was necessary to know
the exact shape of Earth in order to accurately navigate the oceans."

From: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a6674/the-remarkable-story-of-the-first-accurate-measure-of-the-earth/

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

Your obsession with the precise shape of the world is very highly suspicious.   

The basic shape was known thousands of years ago by observation of the stars while travelling.  The simple maths involved totally does not work for a flat surface.

How can you possibly be interested in maths and science and not realise that already????

However, to know the exact precise shape of the curve you were travelling on, required the inventions of technologies not available thousands of years ago.   All you do is travel to say Finland in the North and Peru in the South, as done by the French, and at each location you measure latitude using the stars and measure the distance between two points of latitude.    In Finland they measured the distance between Tornio church in the South at 65 degrees latitude and Kittisvaara hill in the North at 66 degrees latitude.

But who really cares what exact precise shape the world is??   It is just more or less academic for most people.  Particularly those who do not even have a basic understanding of maths and science.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:44:53 PM by Aliveandkicking »

Globetrotter

• Open-minded: receptive to arguments or ideas
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:06 PM »

Having the experience from all over of this forum, just any proof "do not sway" Flat Earthers. And it seems that what "all a child can do" and that child can understand, a Flat Earther can't.
"If you insist it is a spinning globe, then why are you here?" - Simple. To counter the misinformation you are spreading to uneducated, and gullible people. It is the duty of every thinking person to oppose those who would spread lies.

N30

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
"You have no interest in supposedly doctored photos from NASA, but bring it up in an argument against RE. Claiming that we should see the oblate spheroid in the photo." 

(I never brought up the Blue Marble photo it up nor did I say we should see distortion in that photo.)

"I didn't try to answer your other questions because I don't know enough about them."

"I have not researched how to calculate the shape and diameter of the Earth."

"But that does not keep me from..."(LYING)

"Your obsession with the precise shape of the world is very highly suspicious."

"But who really cares what exact precise shape the world is??"

"It is just more or less academic for most people"

"The simple maths..."

"How can you possibly be interested in maths...?"

How can you possibly be interested in the simple maths indeed...
Actually, thats exactly what I am asking about in this thread.
There seems some errors in the current way we calculate the shape of Earth.
So I addressed them in this topic already.

Obviously, neither do you have the capability to answer my questions, or the intellect to read them.
Finding information about how humanity "discovered" the shape of Earth makes me giggle now.
Funny how absolutely none of it gives real numbers and always assume Earth to be a sphere.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:05:17 PM by N30 »

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
Funny how absolutely none of it gives real numbers and always assume Earth to be a sphere.

You mean apart from the real number brought up in this thread, numbers that have resulted from actual measurements?

Apart from the numbers that are pretty easy to find in text books and all over the web?
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
"You have no interest in supposedly doctored photos from NASA, but bring it up in an argument against RE. Claiming that we should see the oblate spheroid in the photo." 

(I never brought up the Blue Marble photo it up nor did I say we should see distortion in that photo.)

"I didn't try to answer your other questions because I don't know enough about them."

"I have not researched how to calculate the shape and diameter of the Earth."

"But that does not keep me from..."(LYING)

"Your obsession with the precise shape of the world is very highly suspicious."

"But who really cares what exact precise shape the world is??"

"It is just more or less academic for most people"

"The simple maths..."

"How can you possibly be interested in maths...?"

How can you possibly be interested in the simple maths indeed...
Actually, thats exactly what I am asking about in this thread.
There seems some errors in the current way we calculate the shape of Earth.
So I addressed them in this topic already.

Obviously, neither do you have the capability to answer my questions, or the intellect to read them.
Finding information about how humanity "discovered" the shape of Earth makes me giggle now.

Ah, I simply tried to explain your confusion here:

As far as I have seen no photo from "space" shows this.

Blue Marble from Apollo 17 is one of the most known photos, so I used that as an example.
):