Please Explain What Earth Looks Like.

• 298 Replies

N30

• I can only show you the door.
Please Explain What Earth Looks Like.
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Why is Earth officially defined as on oblate spheroid wider south of equatorial locations, making a pear shape.
As far as I have seen no photo from "space" shows this.
Keep in mind that mathematics cannot ignore such imperfections.
Ergo, all equations assuming Earth is a sphere must be re evaluated.

Unless Scientific American is lying, Earth is not even a perfect oblate spheroid.
Please explain why large errors and approximations are accepted as true for calculating the shape of our planet.

"Our globe, however, is not even a perfect oblate spheroid, because mass is distributed unevenly within the planet. The greater a concentration of mass is, the stronger its gravitational pull, "creating bumps around the globe,"

Above quote from - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

Here is a website that specifically bashes flat Earthers, yet, assumes the Earth is a perfect sphere in its calculations.

https://chizzlewit.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/working-with-the-curvaure-of-a-spherical-earth/

Re: Please Explain What Earth Looks Like.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
And the actual difference is what?  It's a worry.

SpJunk

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:14:36 PM »
Difference between equatorial and polar diameters is 0.35%.
With error of 0.35% you can use approximation from "almost-circle" to "circle".

Draw ellipse 7.898 inches high and 7.926 inches wide.
Would you be able to see the deformation of 0.028 inches?
The thickness of the line you draw is 0.7 milimeters, which is roughly 0.028 inches.

You could google this for yourself:

"The mean radius of Earth is 3,959 miles (6,371 kilometers).
However, Earth is not quite a sphere.
The planet's rotation causes it to bulge at the equator.
Earth's equatorial diameter is 7,926 miles (12,756 km),
but from pole to pole, the diameter is 7,898 miles (12,714 km)
 — a difference of only 28 miles (42 km)."

So, equator is 14 miles farther from the center of the earth than poles.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

N30

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »

This is why I believe in a Flat Earth. How did you calculate the mean? You obviously did it wrong.

?

zork

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »
This is why I believe in a Flat Earth. How did you calculate the mean? You obviously did it wrong.
You are a funny guy. Please, calculate for me the flat earth diameter. And thickness. And whatever other measurements you have.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:45:25 AM »
The thickness of both an infinite plane (see our blog) and a finite disk (see: A.C. Tort) has been done. As has the diameter in both cases.

?

zork

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:37:21 AM »
The thickness of both an infinite plane (see our blog) and a finite disk (see: A.C. Tort) has been done. As has the diameter in both cases.
I read your blog but can you give a link to this A.C. Tort?  And still, from where you get all your values which you use - A, p, m? And yes, you may be more versed in math than I am but I've done my share of integrals, surface integrals and volume integrals in high school and I don't get what is the difference between usual surface integral (double integral) and your closed surface integral? Also integrals are done usually on finite surface. Sure, you divide this finite surface to infinitesimal parts but the thing you do integrals over is finite. How do you do your integrals over infinite area? As I get it you just say that if I divide area into infinitesimal parts then I can do integrals and get desired result and in the same time ignoring that the area you are dividing is not finite but is infinite.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

SpJunk

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »

Double the mean radius of 3959 and you get 7918.

If you divide mean diameter by 2, you get 3958.75, which is 3959 as integer.

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »

Double the mean radius of 3959 and you get 7918.

If you divide mean diameter by 2, you get 3958.75, which is 3959 as integer.

Now, lets look the The Blue Marble—Earth as seen by Apollo 17 in 1972.

3000 by 3000 pixels on Wikipedia. With the size of the Earth imperfection we know, how many pixels will this imperfection be? I am guessing less than 1 pixel at 3000 by 3000.
):

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
You forgot that blue marble is a stitched image.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »

No.

The Apollo 17 image is just a single photograph. In 2012, NASA made a composite picture of the Earth which they also called the Blue Marble.
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »

No.

The Apollo 17 image is just a single photograph. In 2012, NASA made a composite picture of the Earth which they also called the Blue Marble.

Thank you for the clarification.

Member of the BOTD

N30

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
People cant even tell what pictures of Earth are admittedly fake or real anymore!
Really! Spjunk never actually explained how he calculated Earths equatorial diameter to be 7,926 miles!!
Or is it possible!? How does one account for the pear shape of Earth in the calculation??

Omega

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
People cant even tell what pictures of Earth are admittedly fake or real anymore!
Really! Spjunk never actually explained how he calculated Earths equatorial diameter to be 7,926 miles!!
Or is it possible!? How does one account for the pear shape of Earth in the calculation??

Strange how you make demands for clarity when you have yet to cite even a single source for project blue balls.

N30

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
You do realize that YOU yourself cited many sources claiming NASA's Project Blue Beam to be FACT.
Evidently you did my job for me!
Subsequently you began making rude remarks.

Shut up for a moment, N30. Zork, alive and I are clearing the air.

We will get back to your insanity later.

Omega

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
You do realize that YOU yourself cited many sources claiming NASA's Project Blue Beam to be FACT.
Evidently you did my job for me!
Subsequently you began making rude remarks.

Shut up for a moment, N30. Zork, alive and I are clearing the air.

We will get back to your insanity later.

Are you high?

N30

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Are you this rude in person?
Do you not realize that unless someone can answer my questions, I have proven a Flat Earth, at least in my book?
Does not that merit responses other than "shut up" and "are you high"?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Are you this rude in person?
Do you not realize that unless someone can answer my questions, I have proven a Flat Earth, at least in my book?
Does not that merit responses other than "shut up" and "are you high"?

Get off your drugs mate.

Member of the BOTD

N30

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 10:23:40 PM »
Tell me then, how do we know live on an oblate spheroid with a larger southern, then northern hemispheres?
How did you calculate those numbers of Earth, and where did the numbers to calculate them with come from?
Are we still using Eratosthenes' method? Who assumed Earth was a perfect sphere? That is now invalid!
Now, don't worry though, I don't expect an answer quick! Apparently it takes a SUPER GENIUS to solve it!
Kindly take a look at the references below proving my point, one site even mentions this forum.
Supposedly, Eratosthenes' calculations were lost! But... Another site uses them any way.

"So I cannot drop the name of a super-genius who came up with, and proved, a spherical Earth all on his own, but I can give you the names of its contributors."

"His measurements were fairly accurate, but exactly how accurate is still up for debate.  First of all his original measurements are lost (you can probably blame that on the destruction of the Library), and secondly, we don’t know the exact length of the unit he used"

Quotes from - http://futurism.com/facts-obvious/

"Eratosthenes then divided 360° by 7° 12' and determined that 7° 12' was 1/50th of a circle."

"The distance figure he used was 805 kilometers or 500 miles. Next, he multiplied this distance by 50 to get 40,250 kilometers (25,000 miles)"

Wondering how he got those numbers?

"he probably hired someone or enlisted a slave to accomplish the task"

Quotes from-http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~jochen/gtech201/lectures/lec6concepts/Datums/Determining%20the%20earths%20size.htm

SpJunk

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »

The number was from search I presented you in the form of image.

If you want me to, I will calculate myself.
I can use ground speed of subsolar point at equinox to calculate equator circumference,
and then you can calculate diameter yourself.

~~~~~

Actually, let's do it now:

Makoua, Congo, 15.623 degrees east.
Entebbe, Uganda, 32.455 degrees east.
Distance between them 1164.24 miles.
Angular distance 16.832 degrees.

With 15 degrees per hour, ground speed of subsolar point is
1164.24 / 16.832 * 15 = 1037.52 mph
In 24 hours it is 24900.48 miles of equator circumference,
which gives diameter of D = (24900.48 / 3.14159) = 7926.075 miles

N30

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »
Invalid! Show the calculations for the major and minor axis'! Earth is supposedly an oblate spheroid, not a sphere!

SpJunk

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
Invalid! Show the calculations for the major and minor axis'! Earth is supposedly an oblate spheroid, not a sphere!

Major and minor axis of Equator?

LOL

N30

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:06 PM »

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Mate, you might have some serious issues.
I recommend visiting a doctor.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 11:58:06 PM »

The actual shape of the earth is described as the "Geoid":
Quote from: Wikipedia
Geoid
The geoid is the shape that the surface of the oceans would take under the influence of Earth's gravitation and rotation alone, in the absence of other influences such as winds and tides. This surface is extended through the continents (such as with very narrow hypothetical canals). All points on the geoid have the same gravity potential energy (the sum of gravitational potential energy and centrifugal potential energy). The force of gravity acts everywhere perpendicular to the geoid, meaning that plumb lines point perpendicular and water levels parallel to the geoid.
Much more in Wikipedia, Geoid

This is not a simple shape as it is a sphere distorted by rotation and by the unequal distribution masses around the earth.
Quote from: Wikipedia, Geoid, Description
Description
The geoid surface is irregular, unlike the reference ellipsoid, which is a mathematical idealized representation of the physical Earth, but considerably smoother than Earth's physical surface. Although the physical Earth has excursions of +8,848 m (Mount Everest) and −429 m (Dead Sea), the geoid's variation ranges from −106 to +85 m, less than 200 m total compared to a perfect mathematical ellipsoid.[/size]

Because the actual geoid is so complicated a reference ellipsoid is used as a mathematical model for calculation purposes.
As noted above the differences are small, ranging from −106 to +85 m.

Simpler and more complex "mathematical models" are used depending on the application.

So the earth is not exactly an ellipsoid (an oblate spheroid), but is close enough to one for most purposes.

The comment that it is "slightly pear-shaped" comes from the fact that South of the Equator the earth is minutely bigger than North of the Equator, though still within this −106 to +85 m of the perfect mathematical ellipsoid.

N30

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »
"So the earth is not exactly an ellipsoid (an oblate spheroid)..."

?

zork

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »
 Do I understand correctly that N30 wants to know how earth looks like. He accepts the simple description that the earth is flat and there are no other questions. But in case of the round shape he is requesting all to be presented exactly and precisely and with evidence and proof and with the cherry on the top?
-

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:54 AM »

Yes, it varies by a whole 106 m below and 85 m above the ellipsoid - big deal, when the average radius is about 6,371,000 m!

Of course, in the days before satellites, this sort of accuracy would be unheard of, but if you want your GPS to be within ±5 m it is essential.

Omega

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »

Yes, it varies by a whole 106 m below and 85 m above the ellipsoid - big deal, when the average radius is about 6,371,000 m!

Of course, in the days before satellites, this sort of accuracy would be unheard of, but if you want your GPS to be within ±5 m it is essential.

But Rabinoz, I was told that satellites don't exist!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:13 AM »

But Rabinoz, I was told that satellites don't exist!
;D So was I!  ;D