How can rivers flow on flat earth.

• 78 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: How can rivers flow on flat earth.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 03:08:14 AM »
I thought that the topic was "How can rivers flow on flat earth?"

I can't work out the connection between this and Bullwinkle's pancake free diet unless it's the rivers of calorie filled maple syrup he loves to flood them with.

How's the diet, Bull?

But the simple answer to "How can rivers flow on flat earth?" is exactly the same as  "How can rivers flow on the Globe earth?"

And that is "downhill".

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
Oh how the globularist jumps away from logic as if it were hot coals on his barren foot! You are very right to point out the folly of your comrades rab. This does remind me of the study showing several states are as flat as pancakes. Now what do you get when you add up a bunch of flat pancakes?

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/03/science-several-us-states-led-by-florida-are-flatter-than-a-pancake/284348/

SpJunk

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:14 PM »
First of all, every little mirror on disco ball is flat.

But we have different thing here.
Flatness of states is measured from elevation data.
And elevation is measured from sea level.
Not from some imaginary tangential plane.

~~~~~

"The pancake measured in the article was 130 millimeters, and its surface relief was 2 millimeters."
So, in order to NOT be flatter than a pancake, on 650 kilometers long surface you need mountain 10 kilometers high.
Mount Everest is 8.85 kilometers.

In a survey conducted by the American Geographical Society,
almost a third of all respondents said that Kansas was the flattest state.
Some people even call it “flatter than a pancake.”

But what does science have to say about that?

The first, and only, study that we know of that directly compared the Sunflower State
to a pancake was done by a trio of geographers in 2003. For their tongue-in-cheek analysis,
they acquired a pancake from IHOP, cut out a sample slice and made a topographic profile
of it using a laser microscope (assuring us that they would “not be daunted by the
‘No Food or Drink’ sign posted in the microscopy room”).

They then compared their pancake to an east-west profile of Kansas taken from a 1:250,000 scale
digital model of the state’s elevation data
, and calculated flatness estimates for each.

A flatness value of 1.000 would indicate “perfect, platonic flatness.”
The pancake was scored as 0.957, which the researchers said is “pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat.”
The value for Kansas, meanwhile was ~0.9997, or “damn flat,” as they said.

“Simply put, our results show that Kansas is considerably flatter than a pancake,” the team concluded.

But that’s not the whole story. When the playful study first came out in the Annals of Improbable Research,
Lee Allison, then the Director of the Kansas Geological Survey, quipped that
“everything on Earth is flatter than the pancake as they measured it.”

Clarifying Allison’s retort in a paper from earlier this year,
geographers Jerome Dobson and Joshua Campbell explain it like this:

“The pancake measured in the article was 130 millimeters, and its surface relief was 2 millimeters.
Apply that ratio to the east-west dimension of Kansas, approximately 644 kilometers,
and the state would need a mountain (2/130 x 644,000 meters) 9,908 meters tall
in order not to be flatter than a pancake. Since the highest mountain in the world is 8,848 meters tall,
every state in the U.S. is flatter than a pancake.”

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Yes, that was a joke.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 01:44:12 AM »
Yes, that was a joke.

I nearly smiled.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
If the earth was shrunk down to the size of a bowling ball, it would be rougher,but Rounder.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 12:24:56 AM »
Oh how the globularist jumps away from logic as if it were hot coals on his barren foot! You are very right to point out the folly of your comrades rab. This does remind me of the study showing several states are as flat as pancakes. Now what do you get when you add up a bunch of flat pancakes?

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/03/science-several-us-states-led-by-florida-are-flatter-than-a-pancake/284348/
I'm still curious as to why you think the Nile would have to flow uphill on a globe Earth.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
If the earth was shrunk down to the size of a bowling ball, it would be rougher,but Rounder.

Actually it'll still be smoother as well as rounder.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »

As it was brought up as evidence that rivers such as the Nile would have to flow uphill then I started to wonder how can rivers flow at all in flat earth. In spirit of FE experiments, they like tables quite much, lets take flat kitchen table and make it totally level. Then pour some water on it and observe if it starts flowing in some direction or not. It should not if table is level. So, how can rivers flow if the earth is flat?

what i want to know is how water can flow up or down on a globe when on a globe it would always have to flowing up the globe and down it at the same time it makes no sense...... that alone debunks the globe sci fi fantasy.....

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 03:36:54 AM »

As it was brought up as evidence that rivers such as the Nile would have to flow uphill then I started to wonder how can rivers flow at all in flat earth. In spirit of FE experiments, they like tables quite much, lets take flat kitchen table and make it totally level. Then pour some water on it and observe if it starts flowing in some direction or not. It should not if table is level. So, how can rivers flow if the earth is flat?

what i want to know is how water can flow up or down on a globe when on a globe it would always have to flowing up the globe and down it at the same time it makes no sense...... that alone debunks the globe sci fi fantasy.....
Ever heard of gravity? Obviously not! And if you don't accept gravity, what makes "up" or "down"?

Besides the topic is "How can rivers flow on flat earth.", not "How can rivers flow on the Globe."

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »

Ever heard of gravity? Obviously not! And if you don't accept gravity, what makes "up" or "down"?

Besides the topic is "How can rivers flow on flat earth.", not "How can rivers flow on the Globe."

yes i have heard of gravity but unlike you globers i dont believe everything i hear and water flows down stuff where i would have to flowing up all the time if we lived on a globe..... WAKE UP......

SpJunk

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »

yes i have heard of gravity but unlike you globers i dont believe everything i hear and water flows down stuff where i would have to flowing up all the time if we lived on a globe..... WAKE UP......

Where do you think is "down" on globe ???
Is it up there towards south pole?
Or is it where you put your legs to support your weight (towards center of the earth) ?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
Water seeks to have the lowest potential energy.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »

Why would it need to flow uphill on a globe?  Can you explain this, or show us a diagram?

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »

Where do you think is "down" on globe ???
Is it up there towards south pole?
Or is it where you put your legs to support your weight (towards center of the earth) ?

down would be relative to where ever your standing if the globe were true water would pour right off the earth...... trust me i have had this argument numerious times you cannot win so give up..... EARTH IS FLAT

Why would it need to flow uphill on a globe?  Can you explain this, or show us a diagram?

cause its a ball meaning it would have to flow in all directions...... and you have a picture of a guy from a reality tv show meaning your a fan of reality tv so your opinion is invalid........

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »
Why would the water fall off of a round earth? Gravity pulls everything to the center.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
Why would the water fall off of a round earth? Gravity pulls everything to the center.

thing is gravity is a hoax.......

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Actually, it is a real thing, and people in basic physics classes can calculate it with just a marble and a timer.

And precise gravimeters can detect the effect of gravity from tiny masses. It's pretty cool actually.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
Actually, it is a real thing, and people in basic physics classes can calculate it with just a marble and a timer.

And precise gravimeters can detect the effect of gravity from tiny masses. It's pretty cool actually.

no its not what you are looking at is buoyancy and density.....

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »

Because somehow they think gravity pulls everything to the bottom of space in the globe model. On a tangent that's an interesting concept, the bottom of space. What's down there? Does it even exists?

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »

no its not what you are looking at is buoyancy and density.....

Evidence?

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
Experiments have been done in vacuum chambers. The air Pres siren has no effect on mass or weight.

But gravity does. It is almost like gravity causes weight or something.

Hmm.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
Experiments have been done in vacuum chambers. The air Pres siren has no effect on mass or weight.

But gravity does. It is almost like gravity causes weight or something.

Hmm.

the vacuum chamber just effects the density and the buoyant properties of objects no magic gravity involved......

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »
How come then object weighs then same in a vacuum? Do you have proof that air pressure causes weight?

Thought so.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:59 PM »
How come then object weighs then same in a vacuum? Do you have proof that air pressure causes weight?

Thought so.

what did you think?? there is plenty of proof you just have to do some basic research... not even alot just SOME

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »

Thought so.

what did you think?? there is plenty of proof you just have to do some basic research... not even alot just SOME

You dodged both questions. Address the first one and give a specific example for the second one.

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »

Thought so.

You dodged both questions. Address the first one and give a specific example for the second one.

im not avoiding anything i just think you guys are capable of quick google search.....

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »

Thought so.

im not avoiding anything i just think you guys are capable of quick google search.....

Oh COOL! While we are using Google as the infallible source of information, I took the liberty of finding this gem: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+shape+is+the+earth%3F

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »

Thought so.

And yet you cannot list a single one. it is almost like they don't exist.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »

Thought so.

And yet you cannot list a single one. it is almost like they don't exist.

why do i need to? you can do a quick google search cant you?