I'd like to talk about Earth as a Globe-Earther.

• 82 Replies
I'd like to talk about Earth as a Globe-Earther.
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:16:23 PM »
Hello there! So I'm fairly new to this perspective on Earth, and I just have a couple of questions I'd like to ask all of you "Flat-Earthers". However, before I ask, I just want to explain a few things about myself: When I heard about this belief system, I admittedly thought it was a joke and that only lunatics could believe such things. After investigating it for awhile and seeing all of these fascinating explanations, I honestly have found myself quite convinced that this is in fact just as relevant of a view point as any modern day religion, and deserves to be recognized as such. (Though I am comparing it to religions, do not presume that I am calling "Flat Earth" a religion or anything like that, I'm just using this as an easy explanation for what I'm trying to get across here.)

So instead of arguing with Flat Earthers in some comment section on Youtube about why I think their theories are wrong, I'd instead like to ask fellow intelligent human beings; What makes you right? And I don't mean that in some sort of snarky, sarcastic manner. I'm legitimately interested in the perspectives of a real Flat-Earther. I've read a lot of explanations for the majority of common questions, however I've yet to discover just a couple of simple questions:

In Flat-Earth theory, Earth moves upwards at 9.8 meters per second squared. This reasonably explains gravity. Or at least so I thought for awhile. It had occurred to me though, that Earth does not have the same gravitational pull everywhere. I've searched up a couple of simple, quick articles on the subject, and I'd like to know what a Flat-Earther's opinion of it would be.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/42-our-solar-system/the-earth/gravity/93-does-gravity-vary-across-the-surface-of-the-earth-intermediate
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130904105345.htm

Gravity seems to be one of Globe Earth's best defenses, however the Flat Earth Theory can easily just say that what we think is gravity is actually just the earth moving upwards, and/or that it simply doesn't exist, or doesn't affect us to the extent we're told it does.

How then can the "pull" of gravity, or "upwards movement" differ all across Earth?

My other question is one that has been answered, but I've not liked any of the answers that have been given: Why lie? Why would we be taught the earth is spherical in the first place? Who gains what out of it?

These questions are by no means an attempt to disprove Flat-Earth. I would just like to know what explanations could be said for them. Personally, I believe that the Earth is a sphere in due to Occam's Razor. Earth and even space itself is by far easier to explain using a spherical Earth than a flat one, in my opinion (I'm sure that Flat Earthers may feel that FET is more simple to assume), and therefore makes it more attractive for me to believe. As a reasonable and curious person though, I'd love to know what a Flat Earther thinks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:04:49 PM by Aaurra »

Re: I have a question about Flat Earth, as a "Globe-Earther".
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
"Why lie?" hmm I think it's a matter of control. The further the masses are from the truth, the more easily they are controlled. Economics as we know it, for example, is controlled by the idea of scarcity; supply and demand of finite resources. Now, imagine if there were other continents beyond the south pole, what advantage would such knowledge entail?

As for gravity, I'm not quite sure. Tesla once said “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.” It's possible that energy resonates at different frequencies throughout "terra firma", somehow changing our perception of gravity (I'm just brainstorming here ok, no scientific grounds intended).

ps. knowing that Tesla was likely a "flattie" has really shocked and influenced me; considering that a man with a mind of his caliber would support such an idea has really inspired me to research about the subject.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:42:23 PM by bbarreto »
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

N30

• I can only show you the door.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
Gravity can be explained through buoyancy and density. Dense things fall, buoyant things rise.
It comes down to the air around us, which explains the differences of such forces at different locations.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
I'd also like to know what Flat-Earthers think of this:

http://www.n2yo.com/space-station/

[EDIT: Just noticed that I posted this link twice :P]

These videos very clearly show what seems to be a curved Earth. Could this be fake? If so, why? Again, none of this is an attempt to disprove anything. I'm here for answers, not to disprove anyone. I think having skeptics is very useful and important for narrowing down and advancing theories like this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:05:58 PM by Aaurra »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
How then can the "pull" of gravity, or "upwards movement" differ all across Earth?
Because the pseudoforce (from the frame of the earth) causing a "pull" is not the only pseudoforce acting on the objects across the surface of the earth.

My other question is one that has been answered, but I've not liked any of the answers that have been given: Why lie? Why would we be taught the earth is spherical in the first place? Who gains what out of it?
I think the number of people "lying" is rather small. Most people are simply mistaken. Money, power, something more nefarious; it's easy to assign motives in such a scenario.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
These videos very clearly show what seems to be a curved Earth. Could this be fake? If so, why?

I only looked at the first video briefly, but my answers would be:
1) It could be. The parts of the station visible seem a little  dodgy to me. In general, photos taken from high altitude tend to be taken with a wide angle lens. It is possible that this is the case here with a simple paste of the station over it. I don't see any reason the footage of the earth need be fake. Looking down upon a disc (or the illuminated portion of the earth) would present a visible curve.
2) if your business is bilking billions of dollars in funding from world governments,  it'd be nice to have something to show for your efforts when the bean-counters come to call.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
This is all extremely fascinating. The concept of a Flat Earth is pretty scary. I'm also very intrigued about this "Ice Wall" that surrounds Flat Earth. What would be beyond it? It all feels very Lovecraftian to me. I can't say that I'll ever be convinced that Earth is flat (I honestly don't think it would make a difference in my life), but even if not, I really love to learn more about this theory and hearing from people who believe it is very refreshing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:40:18 PM by Aaurra »

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
I'd also like to know what Flat-Earthers think of this:

These videos very clearly show what seems to be a curved Earth. Could this be fake? If so, why? Again, none of this is an attempt to disprove anything. I'm here for answers, not to disprove anyone. I think having skeptics is very useful and important for narrowing down and advancing theories like this.

I have seen pictures of the horizon taken with different lenses which can distort the image in such a way that you can create either a convex or concave curvature on the horizon. Nonetheless, I can't prove or disprove FET or round earth theory... in the end I'm just a free thinker, and the more I read about FET, the more I believe it's true. I'm being sincere here. Just like you, I'm in search of truth.
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Re: I have some questions about Flat Earth, as a "Globe-Earther".
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm also curious as to what Flat-Earthers think of Occam's Razor in relation to FET. In my perspective, FET seems extremely convoluted. I don't mean that in a bad way at all; It just feels like FET requires a lot of assumptions that are very difficult to wrap your head around when Globe Earth has been your whole life.

I'm also wondering how ocean waves can be explained in FET? I don't think I've found an explanation yet. I truly apologize if it seems that I'm looking for every question I can think of to disprove FET. In actuality, I am in fact trying to think of every question I can for FET to explain in contrast to Globe Earth.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:53:17 PM by Aaurra »

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 06:55:31 PM »
I'm also curious as to what Flat-Earthers think of Occam's Razor in relation to FET. In my perspective, FET seems extremely convoluted. I don't mean that in a bad way at all; It just feels like FET requires a lot of assumptions that are very difficult to wrap your head around when Globe Earth has been your whole life.

That's understandable... imagine a blind person seeing for the first time; how different is the world he/she perceived before and after acquiring vision? Pretty crazy thought.

Now, FET is really a mess if you think about it, because we are all free thinkers throwing ideas on the table based on the premise that the earth is flat. We don't have unlimited funding like say, NASA, to test all of our ideas, so in the end, it does indeed amount to speculation. We are a few going against the majority.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »

That's understandable... imagine a blind person seeing for the first time; how different is the world he/she perceived before and after acquiring vision? Pretty crazy thought.

Now, FET is really a mess if you think about it, because we are all free thinkers throwing ideas on the table based on the premise that the earth is flat. We don't have unlimited funding like say, NASA, to test all of our ideas, so in the end, it does indeed amount to speculation. We are a few going against the majority.

With that said, I have to say... I've got a lot of respect for those of you that are actually serious about this. It actually seems quite fun to look for new explanations for things, and even more fun when you've found one that makes sense.

I really, truly don't believe I'll ever be swayed away from spherical Earth thinking, but it still feels like a very exciting and surprisingly constructive use of my time to still consider all of these possibilities.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »

With that said, I have to say... I've got a lot of respect for those of you that are actually serious about this. It actually seems quite fun to look for new explanations for things, and even more fun when you've found one that makes sense.

I really, truly don't believe I'll ever be swayed away from spherical Earth thinking, but it still feels like a very exciting and surprisingly constructive use of my time to still consider all of these possibilities.

I truly and honestly respect you buddy. You seem to be one of the very few "round-earthers" that come here to constructively talk about this subject. You are mindful and respectful. I appreciate that. Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
I think a lot of my enthusiasm for the topic stems from the fact that instead of thinking FET is a crazy conspiracy theory, I find it fascinating, much like the prospect of the universe itself. One of my favorite things to ask myself is, "What's out there? Can we discover it?" And FET makes me ask that about the home we live on, which I haven't been particularly curious about since I was a child. I think we all get to a point where we feel like we know all there is to know about Earth, since we've lived here our whole life... But then something just blows your mind and makes you think about it all differently, even in my case, where I don't necessarily believe in FET, I'd still like to think of it as a possibility, and that alone is exceptionally invigorating.

I personally choose to believe that we as humans exist to *discover*. To make our mark in the universe and to learn as much about it as we can. That is to me, the meaning of life. One of the greatest things about this theory is that it implores one to adventure into brand new territory of thought and essentially discover (or more accurately, re-discover) something totally different.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:31:49 PM by Aaurra »

SpJunk

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
I think a lot of my enthusiasm for the topic stems from the fact that instead of thinking FET is a crazy conspiracy theory, I find it fascinating, much like the prospect of the universe itself. One of my favorite things to ask myself is, "What's out there? Can we discover it?" And FET makes me ask that about the home we live on, which I haven't been particularly curious about since I was a child. I think we all get to a point where we feel like we know all there is to know about Earth, since we've lived here our whole life... But then something just blows your mind and makes you think about it all differently, even in my case, where I don't necessarily believe in FET, I'd still like to think of it as a possibility, and that alone is exceptionally invigorating.

I personally choose to believe that we as humans exist to *discover*. To make our mark in the universe and to learn as much about it as we can. That is to me, the meaning of life. One of the greatest things about this theory is that it implores one to adventure into brand new territory of thought and essentially discover (or more accurately, re-discover) something totally different.

Welcome.

I'm 55 y/o and through all my life activities and experience I can say that nothing made me consider Earth to be flat.
Every observation, measurement and experiment shows that Earth is spinning globe.

It doesn't mean that I would try to force anyone to think like me.
But I will try to point out to anyone the fact that Globe Earth integrates facts into functional model.

Every fact can be attributed to something else, under certain conditions.
But first, those conditions have to exist.
And second, there is no anything else that could integrate existing facts into different functional model.
Flat Earth can't.

If we assume that it is because not enough people were working on it to make it work, then there is question"why?".

~~~~~

To give you idea about the atmosphere on this forum, I will ask Ski one question, and you look what will be her answer.

~~~~~

Looking down upon a disc (or the illuminated portion of the earth) would present a visible curve.

Everyone saw the Sun.
It appears round as circle from any part of the world.
Always. (Never elliptical.)
Under any angle of observation.
Clearly, Sun is sphere.

We all saw that bottom and top of the Sun are equally bright.

HOW can Sun act as "spotlight"?

It is not about me.
It is not about any agenda.

It is about simple question:
HOW can equally bright top of the Sun NOT illuminate beyond "edge of illuminated portion of the Earth?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:53:45 PM by SpJunk »
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
I think these are great questions that help both us Globe Earthers and the Flat Earthers. Seriously, I am a firm believer that skeptics are such a massively huge asset to ANY theory. At least the ones who are willing to be constructive and cooperate. I would also like to see these questions explained as well, for IF they can be explained reasonably, FET becomes that much more plausible. Understanding the universe is one of my most prominent goals in life, and it's stuff like this that just galvanizes me.

EDIT: I've changed the title of this thread to better reflect my intentions of its purpose.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:56:41 PM by Aaurra »

N30

• I can only show you the door.
Re: I'd like to talk about Earth as a Globe-Earther.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »
Picture a transparent foam ball attached to the end of a flashlight.
Raise that into the air pointed down and one would see a diffused spotlight effect, whilst observing a sphere.
At least that is one explanation.
You who believe in a globular earth are still in the phases of defining what gravity really is as well.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
I'm also curious as to what Flat-Earthers think of Occam's Razor in relation to FET. In my perspective, FET seems extremely convoluted.

To me, it seems more convoluted to believe in a globe. Any one can see the earth is flat. The simplest explanation, after all,  is not that we are on a ball (or turtle or starfish or pineapple) that merely appears to be flat.

I'm also wondering how ocean waves can be explained in FET?

Wind?   :-\

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Gravity can be explained through buoyancy and density. Dense things fall, buoyant things rise.
It comes down to the air around us, which explains the differences of such forces at different locations.

I don't quite follow this.  I have heard others say that we are held down by air pressure, is that what you mean?  There are a couple of things wrong with that theory as far as I can tell.  For one, pressure doesn't work that way.  It applies it's force from all directions equally, not just down.  Another is, a difference in air pressure doesn't seem to change weight.  So when I travel from sea level to 8,000 feet above sea level (something I do regularly) the air pressure drops about 25%, believe.  My weight certainly does not seem to make this shift though.
Also, what's pushing that air down, if not gravity?

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
I'm also curious as to what Flat-Earthers think of Occam's Razor in relation to FET. In my perspective, FET seems extremely convoluted.

To me, it seems more convoluted to believe in a globe. Any one can see the earth is flat. The simplest explanation, after all,  is not that we are on a ball (or turtle or starfish or pineapple) that merely appears to be flat.

I think your first point works best from standing on the surface of Earth itself. It starts getting a little more confusing when you consider what happens where you're actually in space. Granted, Globe Earth has problems with that as well, as most of us haven't been to space, but I think it's still a relevant thing to think about regardless of which side you're on.

As for your second point... I just don't know how satisfying of an answer that is, as any sailor will tell you, there doesn't need to be any wind for there to be waves. :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:12:28 PM by Aaurra »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
Quote from: SpJunk link=topic=67918.msg1818092#msg1818092
To give you idea about the atmosphere on this forum, I will ask Ski one question, and you look what will be her answer.

~~~~~

Looking down upon a disc (or the illuminated portion of the earth) would present a visible curve.

Everyone saw the Sun.
It appears round as circle from any part of the world.
Always. (Never elliptical.)
Under any angle of observation.
Clearly, Sun is sphere.

We all saw that bottom and top of the Sun are equally bright.

HOW can Sun act as "spotlight"?

HOW can equally bright top of the Sun NOT illuminate beyond "edge of illuminated portion of the Earth?

???

You state alot of things as assumed fact, which really are demonstrably false. I don't understand what drives this blind defense of your dogma.

You, like most globularists, are also assuming that celestial light travels in straight lines, and I have already explained this is not the case.

SpJunk

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
Picture a transparent foam ball attached to the end of a flashlight.
Raise that into the air pointed down and one would see a diffused spotlight effect, whilst observing a sphere.
At least that is one explanation.
You who believe in a globular earth are still in the phases of defining what gravity really is as well.

I don't have to "picture it". Reality gives better answers.

I have 700 lumen flashlight. (It was $19.95 in Lowe's.)
Foam ball disperses the light and never makes anything that can be mistaken as (sharp) "edge between illuminated and shaded area".

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »
I'd like to restate my question of "Can FET explain the differences in gravitational pull across Earth", as I'm really quite proud of that question since I don't think I've seen it asked before, and it's a pretty important one that perhaps needs more evidence for.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Aaurra

I think your first point works best from standing on the surface of Earth itself. It starts getting a little more confusing when you consider what happens where you're actually in space.
I've never actually been to space, so I'm not sure how or why it could be confusing.

As for your second point... I just don't know how satisfying of an answer that is as any sailor will tell you, there doesn't need to be any wind for there to be waves. :P

I'm not sure if you're serious...  :-\

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
Wind usually causes waves, but it's a fallacy to say that all waves are caused by wind. I've personally experienced waves where there was no wind.

EDIT: Excuse me, I should have used the word "Tide" instead of "Wave". As someone who isn't particularly well educated in the matters of the ocean, the two seemed interchangeable to me.

So basically what I'm getting at is that the ocean tide is typically explained as being caused by the gravitational force from the moon. I'd like to understand FET's side to this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:28:58 PM by Aaurra »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »

Pity your hypothesis can't explain the things we see around us without the most convoluted explanations! Things like
  • Sunrises and sunsets. Moonrises and moons etc.

• Constant size of the sun and moon.

• The phases on the moon, and the same phase can be view over half the earth at once.

• Lunar eclipses. The Wiki explanation is patently ridiculous.

• Even the explanation for Solar eclipses does not really explain it.

There are many many more.

SpJunk

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »

???

You state alot of things as assumed fact, which really are demonstrably false. I don't understand what drives this blind defense of your dogma.

You, like most globularists, are also assuming that celestial light travels in straight lines, and I have already explained this is not the case.

Adjusting contrast of the picture won't make people think the rest of the room is not illuminated by the same bulb.

You have bulbs in every room in your house,
you KNOW how they work,
you also know that everyone who reads this also has bulbs at home,
and you still send picture with adjusted contrast like this to "convince" someone.

And then add calculated dose of aggresiveness to draw attention from deeper understanding of picture
to words like "what drives this blind defense of your dogma", trying to act as "authority" in this matter.

"Blind defense of your dogma" is based on "proofs" like this.
And on claims that "celestial light doesn't propagate in straight lines".

What is the difference between "celestial light" coming from the sky,
and "noncelestial light" when the same light reaches the ground level?
Have you ever send signals using pocket mirrors?
Are you sure you know what IS light?
Or "Jeranism 'explained' it to you"?

You still owe me answer how horizon casts shadows on mountain sides and tall buildings
for sunrise and sunset, if the Sun is still 3000 miles above it.
"Curved sunrays"?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:37:47 PM by SpJunk »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 08:32:02 PM »
I'd like to restate my question of "Can FET explain the differences in gravitational pull across Earth", as I'm really quite proud of that question since I don't think I've seen it asked before, and it's a pretty important one that perhaps needs more evidence for.

Quote from: ski
Because the pseudoforce (from the frame of the earth) causing a "pull" is not the only pseudoforce acting on the objects across the surface of the earth. 

Wind usually causes waves, but it's a fallacy to say that all waves are caused by wind. I've personally experienced waves where there was no wind.
Those waves were still likely caused by winds. That's what a swell is...  I suppose an exceptionally small portion of waves would be caused by displacement.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »
I'd also just like to remind people to maintain respect and decorousness for each other in my thread. I can see these topics have the potential to get heated. We're all intelligent, hopefully reasonable people here. :P

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

Quote from: ski

Those waves were still likely caused by winds. That's what a swell is...  I suppose an exceptionally small portion of waves would be caused by displacement.

You ignored and cut out my question from the quote about where I ask for FET's explanation for why ocean tides exist...  :-\

As for you're pseudoforce argument, I really don't see much evidence in that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:39:18 PM by Aaurra »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
How many more times are you going to make the same list, rabinoz?