A challenge that I hope is debated honestly

• 46 Replies

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
A challenge that I hope is debated honestly
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
For a hypothesis to be taken seriously there must be a way to check if it is in fact correct or not.

I have have challenge for any and all who read this, and I really hope it will be taken seriously.

Dear forum dwellers

Describe to me an experiment that can disprove the Earth is flat.

I am not asking you to prove it is flat, nor am I asking you to 'consider the other side of the argument'.

I am asking the following:

You say "the Earth is flat. I am sure of it. If it wasn't flat then..."

The '...' is the experiment. You describe the experiment and the evidence required to convince YOU that the earth is in fact not flat. It has to be testable and repeatable.

I hope this is clear. And I really hope people will take this serious, as a nice thought experiment.

I especially hope people who believe in the flat earth will participate.

Let's have a nice debate about this and let's be nice to each other.

*EDIT* Added rule that the experiment must be feasible with currently available technology.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:07:28 AM by Omega »
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

Omega

Re: A challenge that I hope is debated honestly
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
Anyone?

Triangles

• Forgot my old account, but i'm back.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
Anyone?

Do you truly expect anyone to come forward with any "experiment" to prove the outlandish theory? The only one I could see would be Sandokhan with a copypasta that is complete unrelated, speaking on some out of context "experiment".

Lower your expectations, my dude.
Quote from:  rabinoz
::) Sandokhanian Science  ::).
Ah yes, I majored in this.

Omega

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:46:49 PM »
Anyone?

Do you truly expect anyone to come forward with any "experiment" to prove the outlandish theory? The only one I could see would be Sandokhan with a copypasta that is complete unrelated, speaking on some out of context "experiment".

Lower your expectations, my dude.

I am asking if there is any test that a flat earther would accept as evidence they are wrong. I ask if there is a method they themselves could think of which could possibly yield such a negative result.

This is not the same as proving my or anybody's point.

I ask if any Flat Earther is in fact willing to accept any evidence or test which disproves a flat earth, and I ask flat earthers to describe such evidence and the way to obtain it.

To me this does not sound like an unreasonable request, even if it is just a thought experiment.

It seems that any statement that is potentially provable is also potentially disprovable.

If my hypothesis is that there are no pink elephants, and someone shows me a pink elephant, my hypothesis is disproven.

It's not as if, no matter the evidence, the earth is flat (or round)?

In the end, there must be something one would say to: "If I see that, I accept this theory is false"

Someone who believes the Earth is Round, may for instance say: "I believe the Earth is flat if I see a photograph of the flat earth that shows all the continents in one view"

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:51:20 PM by Omega »

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
My guess is: "Go into space and take a picture of the earth without a catfisheye lens. An don't give me any of that CGI crap."
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
Requested challenge response #1

The Earth is flat. I'm sure of it. If is wasn't flat the RE side could more than easily prove it with a simple experiment.

The honesty option offered in the challenge is appreciated. The other necessary option is the "it can't be done" clause that must be included. Within the challenge, the RE side can not claim the task assigned to them is impossible or, if stated as impossible, they admit defeat to the FE side proving a flat Earth.

The experiment:

Since REers have the resources, they complete a deep bore hole project either digging a hole or pipe-pounding through the Earth until the underside is reached. 

Once through the Earth, a camera with attached spotlight is dropped through the hole observing the underside and a live feed is sent back to those awaiting the live video.

It's a game changer and at least one way to prove the FE claim.  It can be done.

Keep and mind the "it can't be done" clause and I hope it begins soon.  The truth awaits...

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »

The Earth is flat. I'm sure of it. If is wasn't flat the RE side could more than easily prove it with a simple experiment.

The honesty option offered in the challenge is appreciated. The other necessary option is the "it can't be done" clause that must be included. Within the challenge, the RE side can not claim the task assigned to them is impossible or, if stated as impossible, they admit defeat to the FE side proving a flat Earth.

The experiment:

Since REers have the resources, they complete a deep bore hole project either digging a hole or pipe-pounding through the Earth until the underside is reached. 

Once through the Earth, a camera with attached spotlight is dropped through the hole observing the underside and a live feed is sent back to those awaiting the live video.

It's a game changer and at least one way to prove the FE claim.  It can be done.

Keep and mind the "it can't be done" clause and I hope it begins soon.  The truth awaits...

So you are just another pervert here to wind people up.   Is there anybody here who thinks the Earth is flat??

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
For a hypothesis to be taken seriously there must be a way to check if it is in fact correct or not.

I have have challenge for any and all who read this, and I really hope it will be taken seriously.

Dear forum dwellers

I am not asking you to prove it is flat, nor am I asking you to 'consider the other side of the argument'.

The '...' is the experiment. You describe the experiment and the evidence required to convince YOU that the earth is in fact not flat. It has to be testable and repeatable.

I hope this is clear. And I really hope people will take this serious, as a nice thought experiment.

What are you asking for?

An experiment to prove that the Earth is not Flat meaning an experiment to prove that it's a Globe?

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »

Dear forum dwellers

What are you asking for?

An experiment to prove that the Earth is not Flat meaning an experiment to prove that it's a Globe?

The magic word is Falsifiability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability.  Part of the scientific method.  Historically the whole evidence thing hasn't worked out well for FET but you never know.  Maybe they'll surprise us in this thread.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »

Eratosthenes experiment.
Foucault Pendulum
Cavendish Experiment

LITERALLY MILLIONS OF PICTURES FROM SPACE.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

?

Woody

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »
It has been my experience FE's do not answer the question what would prove FE wrong if true.  They avoid answering or reply with something along the lines of, "Nothing since it is flat"

I think a relatively simple experiment using markers on a pole at different heights would work.  Just increase the distance from the observer and pole. Then observe to see if any of the markers disappear from view.  If they do then determine if it matches up with what is predicted on a round Earth.

SpJunk

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
It has been my experience FE's do not answer the question what would prove FE wrong if true.  They avoid answering or reply with something along the lines of, "Nothing since it is flat"

I think a relatively simple experiment using markers on a pole at different heights would work.  Just increase the distance from the observer and pole. Then observe to see if any of the markers disappear from view.  If they do then determine if it matches up with what is predicted on a round Earth.

Such thing was already done with tall building and counting visible parts above the horizon.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Turning Torso.

The reaction was close eyes, plug ears and sing "fake, fake, fake, ..."

If you think is fake, go find tall building and see for yourself.
Anyone can find tall building.

And if you later come back here and say "building doesn't sink behind horizon like that", people will know.
Anyone else also can find tall building and check your claim.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:20:28 PM by SpJunk »
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

Omega

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »

The experiment:

My thread, my rules.

The experiment must be done with technology available today. This is making up new tech. We have no tech that allows to tunnel all the way through the earth, through the mantle and through the core. There is no material that could even line such a hole to keep it there, withstanding the temperatures and pressures in the mantle and the core.

I thank you for participating, and I don't think it's an inherently bad thought experiment, but this is about as practical as harpooning the 'flat earth sun' and pulling it down for examination.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:39:41 AM by Omega »

Omega

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 02:04:59 AM »

Eratosthenes experiment.
Foucault Pendulum
Cavendish Experiment

LITERALLY MILLIONS OF PICTURES FROM SPACE.

This thread is not about proving it is a globe. It's about finding a test that can disprove it is flat.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:16:09 AM »

The experiment:

We do? What REers have the resources? Not the ones on this site. Most of others just go about their business, very often doing work that depends on the Globe!

In any case can you give some upper limit on the thickness of your earth model? The only statement I can find is front John Davis, with
Using the infinite earth, we have good reason to believe it is at least 9000km. I believe I derived this back in 2009(? or earlier ?) using Gauss' Law.[nb]Gauss' Law[/nb]

Using a relativistic earth, 6,371 kilometers.[nb]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Earth[/nb]

Someone was kind enough to redo my math and apply it instead to the finite case of the Earth.  If it is finite it is 4241 km [nb]http://arxiv.org/pdf/1305.0393.pdf[/nb]

Where we seem to get a thicknesses "4241 km" , "6,371 kilometres"  (???  the radius of the Globe.???) and "at least 9000km". 
There seems nothing in "the Wiki"! So, which is the thickness we are expected to drill through? It's YOUR model!

So how deep do you expect us to dig before you admit that the earth is a Globe?

In any case, just how deep do think the pockets of these REers are?
What's At The Bottom Of The Deepest Hole On Earth?
The result was the Kola Superdeep Borehole and a drill-depth of more than 7.5 miles (12 kilometers). To put that in perspective, Kola descends further than the deepest point of the ocean, which lies at nearly 6.8 miles (11 kilometers). The borehole is located on the Kola Peninsula of Russia.  [/size]

So, you don't half ask much do you?

If you could stand proving the converse you might try visiting the real South Pole on December 21 with sextant so you can prove to yourself that the sun does indeed circle a constant elevation above the horizon (about 23.5°).

It would be no point a REer doing it, hundreds do it anyway, you wouldn't believe them.

?

zork

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 03:16:36 AM »

Your approach is wrong and doesn't work. Its usually like this - this video or photo or phenomenon doesn't seem right or is weird or in my opinion should not be possible on round earth. Therefore - Earth is flat.
 They don't need experiment to prove earth flatness. They just need something that is little off or they think is impossible and from there they automatically deduce that the earth is flat.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Omega

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 03:21:35 AM »

Your approach is wrong and doesn't work. Its usually like this - this video or photo or phenomenon doesn't seem right or is weird or in my opinion should not be possible on round earth. Therefore - Earth is flat.
 They don't need experiment to prove earth flatness. They just need something that is little off or they think is impossible and from there they automatically deduce that the earth is flat.

I actually think my approach is spot-on. I'm not asking anyone to accept anything at face value, I am not asking anyone to prove their point. I ask people to think of any experiment that *could* (not WILL, COULD) show the Earth is not flat.

?

zork

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 03:31:37 AM »
 Still doubtful because they accept things at face value. Even badly done experiments because they show what they want to see. And every result can be interpreted quite subjectively.
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Omega

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 03:54:34 AM »
Still doubtful because they accept things at face value. Even badly done experiments because they show what they want to see. And every result can be interpreted quite subjectively.

That is why I am not telling anyone what evidence they SHOULD accept, but what they WOULD accept.

There is a difference here. A quite important difference.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
An even bigger problem is that the definition of Flat Earth is not precise. There are multiple variations so you could never get agreement anyhow.

But by far the biggest problem is that genuine flat earthers are lunatics. And you cannot prove or disprove ANYTHING to a lunatic.

After all, how many times have we heard that every space photo is fake and that  half the planet is in on a conspiracy to make up being on a globe. How could you convince a paranoid delusional schizophenic FEer that 1=1+2 if they said it made 3 instead? Simply you can't.

?

zork

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 03:58:24 AM »
 They surely would accept this kind of evidence like gotham asked. I don't believe you get better offers.
-

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 03:59:21 AM »

That is why I am not telling anyone what evidence they SHOULD accept, but what they WOULD accept.

Very intuitive - although self-defeating. The FEers will not come up with a single bit of evidence that would accept that is remotely possible to produce - hence the borehole thru the centre of the earth idea.

Omega

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 04:23:24 AM »

Very intuitive - although self-defeating. The FEers will not come up with a single bit of evidence that would accept that is remotely possible to produce - hence the borehole thru the centre of the earth idea.

So you are saying that people who are actively creating hundreds of explanations for our current observations are not creative enough to think of a single feasible experiment that could (not would, COULD) disprove the Earth is flat?

I have faith at least some flat earthers are willing to prove you wrong on this. Thinking outside the box is their forté.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 05:36:48 AM »

1. If the sun does not get smaller/bigger during the day, this means the distance between observer - sun is not changing noticeably meaning the "flat earth sun" is not possible.
2. If you take a scale and measure the same object once at the equator, once at the northpole and it's weight has changed, this means the acceleration is not constant on the earth's surface and therefore there cannot be a universal acceleration.
3. If you go down at a beach and use a telescope to zoom on a ship resulting in you seeing only the top part of the shipt, this would show the earth cannot be flat.
4. If you are not able to see more than half of the moon on the whole earth, this means the flat earth is wronge since either the whole world would see it from a different angle OR the moon would look like a elipse from some parts of the world where it is low at the sky.
5. If you can provide a map from the round earth which matches the flighttimes of the planes (meaning distances fit), this would mean that a flat earth shape is inpossible, except there is some sort of portal.
6. If your GPS actually works this means flat earth is wrong since gps uses a) satellites and b) round earth geometry
7. If you observe clockwise / counterclockwise wind movements on our earth and set them into context, you cannot explain the phenomen by using flat earth logic.
8. If you'd fly towards the sun above the equator at equinox, you'd move away from the equator on a flat earth map.
9. If you can show the startrails once from the northpoles and once from the equator, and the northstar would not both times be significantly beyond the horizon, flat earth is wrong.
10. If you'd make a animation including the most used flat earth hypothesis and could show that the sun would never set behind the horizon, flat earth hypothesis has to be wrong.
11. If you go to the sea and observe the tides, flat earth hypothesis cannot give an explanation.
12. If you go to space and take a picture of the earth and see a round ball, the earth cannot be flat.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:42:54 AM by User324 »
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 08:34:38 AM »

The experiment:

Let's see if we can build on this idea to create something half way feasible.

In lieu of trying to recreate the classic by Jules Verne would you accept magnetotellurics? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetotellurics.  It doesn't penetrate enough to go through the entire Earth but it does enough that multiple measurements would demonstrate the geometry of the Earth.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »
are you asking for NEW experiments? because there's plenty that can prove that the earth isn't flat, just read any of my threads

the main problem is, no matter how evident the evidence is, FE's dismiss it, that's called cognitive dissonance (ignoring blatant evidence to believe an alternate reality), THAT'S when new flat earth theories are created

the lunar eclipse is absolutely all you need, the shadow produced is our shadow, the sun being on the opposite side of us is the irrefutable evidence
the FE's have attempted to explain it but none of the explanations get past the basic testing stage, whereas the globe explanation, as you asked, is repeatable

seeing a sharp horizon, wouldn't happen on a flat earth - but it happens

north star can not be seen from deep in the southern hemisphere - no explanation necessary

meteors disprove a glass/ice dome

sun rays disprove the localised sun

there's irrefutable evidence for a globe and irrefutable explanations disproving the flat earth 'proofs'

flat earthers WANT to believe the earth is flat, so much so, they ignore irrefutable evidence

the flat earth theory is well and truly over

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Dear forum dwellers

Have you spoken with JRowe? I think he had something along those lines. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, technically it only tests for a consequence of his model of FE, but generally speaking it seems about right. Technology required is a balloon and a gravimeter.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
Here's a test to prove the Earth is not flat.

Requirements:

Eyes

Method:

Observe the sun before nightfall.

If the earth is flat, the sun will shrink until it's not visible. It will remain 100% above the horizon.

If the sun does not shrink until it disappears then the flat earth model is wrong.

If the sun drops any amount below horizon then the earth is not flat.

Is this acceptable?

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »

The '...' is the experiment. You describe the experiment and the evidence required to convince YOU that the earth is in fact not flat. It has to be testable and repeatable (and it) must be feasible with currently available technology.

On the other forum, everybody's favorite Turk once offered up such an experiment, entirely unsolicited: 
Hello mister and misses so-and-so, and team NASA,
If the earth is a sphere, the compass always shows the point “in the earth”, except north.  But it usually shows the North on the horizontal way.  But the world is a flat so your compass always shows the North on the horizontal!
So the earth is a flat.

I presented evidence to counter his conclusions:
I have a counter-theory.  You observe that "the compass...shows the North on the horizontal way", but you perhaps are not aware that compass needles are weighted on one end to achieve this 'horizontal' display.  Were they not, compass needles in the northern hemisphere WOULD point down to the north, and in the southern hemisphere they would point down to the south.  For example, compass makers Suunto imply this in passing when they mention having a two-zone balancing system, with a northern hemisphere zone and a southern hemisphere zone available.  Same thing from a marine compass manufacturer, Amee & Company, but made more explicit.  Here is another discussion, this time related to aviation.  The point being: the effect you think does NOT exist, in fact DOES exist, is well known, and is compensated for. 

The effect is most extreme at the magnetic poles (opposite of the "...except north" portion of your statement) where an unrestrained compass needle would point straight up and down.  In fact, a device designed for exactly that motion was used to identify the geographic location of the magnetic north pole, called a Dip Circle or a Dip Needle.

The effect was discovered in 1544 by a German mathematician and instrument maker named Georg Hartmann, and his immediate reaction was to try and compensate for it in the compasses he made.

To satisfy the "testable and repeatable" requirement, I offered this:
Anybody who wants to experiment with it will be better served to suspend a magnetized needle from a fine thread, rather than using a camping-style compass, since that compass will be at least partly compensated by weight on one end of the needle.  Or, if you have some money to spend, you could buy a Dip Needle demonstrator.

I summed up with this:
Bottom line: the phenomenon you state WOULD exist, IF only the earth was round?  It in fact DOES exist.  Draw from that what conclusion you will.

This explains why İntikam suddenly became a Round Earth supporter a few months ago.

Naw, I'm kidding, that's not how he reacted!  He
  • Ignored my post entirely
  • Declared that the whole world would suffer neurological problems if the earth was a magnet
  • Switched his own position to something about "charge pulling" (?)
  • Used compass tilt to calculate how thick the flat earth is (despite earth not being a magnet)
  • Demanded others do his experiment for him.
All in all, a typically confusing İntikam interaction.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Dear forum dwellers

Have you spoken with JRowe? I think he had something along those lines. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, technically it only tests for a consequence of his model of FE, but generally speaking it seems about right. Technology required is a balloon and a gravimeter.

If he wishes to buy me the equipment I'd be happy to run that test for him. I actually live relatively close to the Bonneville salt flats  and launching a weather balloon there sounds like a lot of fun.