Detecting a flat earth?

• 24 Replies

TheSchwa1337

• Confused quite honestly on the whole matter @ hand
Detecting a flat earth?
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »
How would one, within scientific reason, and measurements, detect, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a flat earth?
Please, extrapolate, and entertain this thought. What methods would one use to get detailed data about the earth landscape in support of either model. Imagine if you will, a time in the future where one might say it would be possible, to completely and accurately say, within scientific reason, that a flat earth working model is correct/incorrect. How, in everyone's opinion, could the round earth model methods everyone uses and believes be proven scientifically infallible/fallible? How, in everyone's opinion, would the flat earth model be proven infallible/fallible?

I only ask that you consider how one person could, if he had the proper technology at hand, at some time in the future, or at present, be able to prove and detect a flat earth? Not just to himself, and his opinion, but representing all necessary data that would, within the scientific community, make it be considered a fact.

I hope this question isn't to vexing for some as well. Either way, if you have any ideas or comments that support or help, feel free to voice them about the nature of this subject and how its goals might be achieved one day. Use whatever method or idea you think is best, and don't be scared to say anything that you don't think technology at present could achieve. This is more a, admittedly somewhat nerdy, thought experiment rather than a cut and dry post.

I'm a round earthier, but am rather interested how advancing technology is a growing, and seemingly never ending field. I hope that with human cooperation and ingenuity, we will one day break beyond our barriers of confinement, and be free to explore and grow into whatever lies beyond our skies. Whether that be a round, or flat earth model, I'm excited for whatever lies ahead for the future of human beings. I feel like everyone here is excited to for that, and this will be a great discussion topic. Among FE's and RE's alike.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:05:58 AM by TheSchwa1337 »
Quote from: Papa Legba on April 29, 2016, 01:15:13 PM

I've got top men working on babyhighspeed's potentially disastrous amazon voodoo detector recalibration issue right now...

Top... Men!

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
Re: Detecting a flat earth?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:52 AM »
How would one, within scientific reason, and measurements, detect, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a flat earth?

A picture would be nice.
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

mikeyjames

• Another Aussie
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
Imagine if you will, a time in the future where one might say it would be possible, to completely and accurately say, within scientific reason, that a flat earth working model is correct/incorrect.

We have the technology now to prove that FE theory is a joke.

Simply take a QANTAS sightseeing flight to Antarctica and take some pictures - surprise, surprise, no one will shoot you down and no ice wall.
Simply take a flight between Australia and South America - surprise, surprise, it takes no longer than a flight between two places of the same longitude in the northern hemisphere.

What other proof would you need?

Cheers
Mick

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »

A picture would be nice.

We have pictures, you dishonestly dismiss them.

Tens of MILLIONS of pictures with hundreds of thousands of people involved, all faked, all in on the conspiracy.

Tens of thousands of Hours of Video, hundreds of thousands of people involved, all faked, all in on the conspiracy.

Dozens of countries, hundreds of satellites sending back terabytes of data, all fakes, all the millions of people involved are liars, all in on the conspiracy.

That's your claim isn't it?

Do you have any idea how completely and utterly ridiculous that is?

Himawari 8 -- has sent back over a million pictures by itself.  It's in geostationary orbit over the equator showing Japan because it's a Japanese weather satellite.  It takes 11000 x 11000 pixel images of the Earth in 16 different spectra (visible light and near/mid/far-IR).  You can count the pixels across and high and measure the oblateness of the Earth with it.  You can watch LONG movies made from the data, it's all perfect But I guess thousands of Japanese people work 24/7 to FAKE a cloud accurate model of half the Earth every 10 minutes.  /eyeroll

But Ok -- you want PROOF you can touch and feel... ZETETIC right?  Something SIMPLE that is just OBVIOUS, right?

At your Sunrise, on any day, find the subsolar point of the sun.  It will be ~6225.25 miles away.    Find the point ~3112.625 miles away, or exactly half-way between you.   So 6225.25 miles away the Sun is at 90, 3112.625 miles from there it will be at 45 -- if the Earth was Flat that would mean the slope is 1, at double that distance (your location) it should be at slope = 0.5 (or ~26.5) up but it's on your HORIZON.  That does NOT work - you don't need to measure it or do any math you can just SEE that it's wrong:

Simple right?   It cannot POSSIBLY work on a Flat Earth.

How about something with less geometry?

To a fairly high degree of accuracy (for the sake of argument let's say only within +/- ONE THOUSAND kilometers), the distance from North Pole to Equator is known to be 10,002 km and the equatorial radius is 40,075 km.  Does any Flat Earther have any other values they can substantiate as being the ACTUAL values, again +/- 1000 km -- HUGE margin of error right?

By trivial geometry we know that a circle with a radius of 10,002 km would have a circumference in the range of 62,844.4 km -- That is IMPOSSIBLY too Large for Earth.  Even if you think that π is 3 that STILL makes it 60,012 km around.  You CANNOT make this fit.

Conversely, a circle with a circumference of 40,075 km would have a radius of just 6,378.13 km -- IMPOSSIBLY too Small for Earth.

Therefore the Earth simply cannot be flat if these measurements are anywhere even CLOSE to the actual values.

Can you show that the distance from the North Pole to the Equator is wrong by over 3000 km?  Or is a simple circle too complex?

here are some more

and even more

Was it faked in 1948 also?

How about if you look at balloon footage correctly?

How about if you look at Chicago a little more carefully?

Does " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">zooming in REALLY make the bottoms of things ACTUALLY over the horizon come back?  No... No it does not...  What happens is that people zoom in on things that are merely distant but NOT over the horizon and mistake that as evidence that zooming is the key.  This video shows very clearly that NOTHING changes at the bottom as you zoom in -- the bottom of the city is still WELL over the horizon.

So how many ways do you need?

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
Relax, Darkstar!  Omega is on the Round Earth side.  He was saying that a picture of a FLAT EARTH might be a place for the FLAT EARTH side to start.

Omega

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:42:52 AM »
Relax, Darkstar!  Omega is on the Round Earth side.  He was saying that a picture of a FLAT EARTH might be a place for the FLAT EARTH side to start.

Indeed. I want to see a picture of a flat Earth.

But that does not exist.

SpJunk

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »
But videos of zoomed Sunset do exist.

One of them is " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">HERE.

(From one of DarkStar's links, about Chicago mirage.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:37:40 PM by SpJunk »
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

Meh.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
You shills are terrible!  You reveal your cards too cheaply! 

I would not bother.  Science is for nerds. 
I do not see any sane "scientific" reason to convince anybody of the true form of the earth --- beyond a shadow of a doubt, no less.  I prefer non-scientific reason to expose truth. 

Only the globullists have an incentive to lie and or to limit public discourse. 

SpJunk

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:24 AM »
Is the shadow of horizon crawling up mountain sides for sunset
or crawling down mountain sides for sunrise scientific or not?

Shadow of horizon crawls tall buildings too.

When you have clouds for sunrise or sunset, they get illuminated from below.
Is that scientific or not?

If ship is easier to evade, tall buildings and mountains more obviously sink behind
horizon when you get further away from them.

I don't envy you.
Whether things are or aren't "scientific", people still see them.
Convincing them they don't will not be easy.

"Your lack of simplicity is main reason why not many people would bother to try to understand you." - S.M.

?

zork

Re: Meh.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 06:14:35 AM »
I prefer non-scientific reason to expose truth. 

Translation - I prefer to babble, make things up and lie.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
Re: Meh.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
You shills are terrible!  You reveal your cards too cheaply! 

I would not bother.  Science is for nerds. 
I do not see any sane "scientific" reason to convince anybody of the true form of the earth --- beyond a shadow of a doubt, no less.  I prefer non-scientific reason to expose truth. 

Only the globullists have an incentive to lie and or to limit public discourse.

Translation; FET is pure BS, I know it, but believe anyway, because it means I think I have an open mind.

What is means is you are need to back on our meds.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
So do RE believers make a claim that all of the Earth has been observed from the air and/or observed from sea level? 

In reality, support for the truth of a flat Earth shape exists in the known and that evidence, logic and common sense dictates further support will exist in the gaps of the unknown. It is folly to believe that REers can disprove this, just because they say so.

It's hard to believe that in this modern time, people could possibly believe the age of discovery is exhausted and somehow science has all the answers, specifically Earth shape.

It is, in fact, very unscientific for REers to run and hide from the claims of FET.  For example that a globe is simply a toy made and sold with failed attempts to substantiate evidence by incorrectly twisting the known into a round shape. 

Omega

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
So do RE believers make a claim that all of the Earth has been observed from the air and/or observed from sea level? 

In reality, support for the truth of a flat Earth shape exists in the known and that evidence, logic and common sense dictates further support will exist in the gaps of the unknown. It is folly to believe that REers can disprove this, just because they say so.

It's hard to believe that in this modern time, people could possibly believe the age of discovery is exhausted and somehow science has all the answers, specifically Earth shape.

It is, in fact, very unscientific for REers to run and hide from the claims of FET.  For example that a globe is simply a toy made and sold with failed attempts to substantiate evidence by incorrectly twisting the known into a round shape.

There are too many things wrong with FE for it to be true. Sun setting, the existence of satellites, ships and the horizon, star trails, flight times, star visible on southern hemisphere...

If you add all that up, FE can't be true. And that's even before we get to

the pictures of the Earth taken from space

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »

We do make that claim yes.  Satellite imagery has covered the entire world.  Human eyes haven't scrutinized every detail of that.  Sometimes you do see some interesting lost cities pop up because human eyes poured over the details of satellite images. We really only need to cover at least 4 points of the world to confirm that isn't not flat with a reasonable degree of certainty, however.

I agree with your plea for open mindedness for what it's worth.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

SpJunk

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »

When you are trying to speak of your "common sense", what about some REAL common sense?
You mentioned Reality, so tell us how in reality horizon casts shadow during sunrise and sunset?
That shadow for sunrise crawls mountain sides down, and for sunset crawls mountain sides up.
That shadow also crawls tall buildings.

Hatred against 50+ space agencies all over the world won't help. The shadow is not their creation.

Show us how REAL you can be, and how much COMMON SENSE you have.

feuk

• Flat Earth Believer
  • ^ hmmmmm
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
It's quite simple.
Source a decent camera or a good telescope.

Go to the beach and watch boats "disappear" behind the "curvature",
Pull out you camera or scope,
and bring the boats back into full view.

This proves the 4 mile curvature nonsense to be the bread and butter of the duped masses.

Job done.
(of course you could choose a landmark or structure over four miles away to observe but who doesn't like the seaside)
"How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It's not easy to become sane."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »
It's quite simple.

Such a pity it doesn't work!
maybe you can come up with a video that shows a ship appearing to disappear behind the horizon (no, not disappearing because it is simply too small to see) then being brought back by a telescope.

All those I have seen have been of a boat ON the horizon "disappearing" because it is too small to see.

Quote from: feuk
This proves the 4 mile curvature nonsense to be the bread and butter of the duped masses.

Job done.
(of course you could choose a landmark or structure over four miles away to observe but who doesn't like the seaside)

But in the end that does not prove a lot anyway.

You are going to need a ship much more than 4 miles away, that won't hide much of a ship!

Omega

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »
It's quite simple.

Job done.

So each and every one of the thousands of videos and pictures that show boats disappear behind the curvature are faked? 

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 04:33:12 AM »
It's quite simple.

Good luck with that!
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

SpJunk

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 04:56:58 AM »
It's quite simple.

Job done.

Don't tell me you've never been at sea?

If you tried yourself what you described, you wouldn't ask others to do it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »
It's quite simple.

Job done.

Don't tell me you've never been at sea?

If you tried yourself what you described, you wouldn't ask others to do it.
Some advice for Mr Fuek:
Quote from: Sir William Schwenck Gilbert
Be careful to be guided by this golden rule
Stick close to your desks and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!

ChildofFather

• If you only knew :-p
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Please, extrapolate, and entertain this thought. What methods would one use to get detailed data about the earth landscape in support of either model. Imagine if you will, a time in the future where one might say it would be possible, to completely and accurately say, within scientific reason, that a flat earth working model is correct/incorrect. How, in everyone's opinion, could the round earth model methods everyone uses and believes be proven scientifically infallible/fallible? How, in everyone's opinion, would the flat earth model be proven infallible/fallible?

I only ask that you consider how one person could, if he had the proper technology at hand, at some time in the future, or at present, be able to prove and detect a flat earth? Not just to himself, and his opinion, but representing all necessary data that would, within the scientific community, make it be considered a fact.

I hope this question isn't to vexing for some as well. Either way, if you have any ideas or comments that support or help, feel free to voice them about the nature of this subject and how its goals might be achieved one day. Use whatever method or idea you think is best, and don't be scared to say anything that you don't think technology at present could achieve. This is more a, admittedly somewhat nerdy, thought experiment rather than a cut and dry post.

I'm a round earthier, but am rather interested how advancing technology is a growing, and seemingly never ending field. I hope that with human cooperation and ingenuity, we will one day break beyond our barriers of confinement, and be free to explore and grow into whatever lies beyond our skies. Whether that be a round, or flat earth model, I'm excited for whatever lies ahead for the future of human beings. I feel like everyone here is excited to for that, and this will be a great discussion topic. Among FE's and RE's alike.

It would take money and sponsorship. Money to circumnavigate Antarctica and a sponsor to run the expedition live 24/7 as a reality show. Measure the miles it takes, and walah...your answer. It is a real easy fix. If I had the money I would do it.
To love is to feel pain.

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »
So yeah, since I don't have money, the Earth is Heart-shaped. prove it's not!

I have even photo from the space:

FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.

Omega

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 04:16:41 AM »
So yeah, since I don't have money, the Earth is Heart-shaped. prove it's not!

I have even photo from the space:

Since hearts are in fact asses, I find it interesting to see where Europe is in this picture.

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
A true believer cannot be swayed, by math, or pictures or even a trip to space. Their minds are not wired to see reality or do the math. They are living proof of Clarke's 3rd Law.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...