Poll

Where do you believe sattelites for tv's are?

Sattelites are not exist because science can't prove they are exist.
3 (37.5%)
I'm sure they are in the space. Because NASA always says truth but God does not !
5 (62.5%)
I'm confused.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 28, 2016, 12:38:14 AM

Classic and Advanced Sattelite types on the Flat Earth ! (Topic With poll)

• 124 Replies
?

zork

Re: Classic and Advanced Sattelite types on the Flat Earth !
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2016, 01:50:36 AM »
GPS and TV sattelites don't work on Turkish deserts.
  As english isn't my first language then I fail to translate this sentence correctly. I would say - GPS and TV sattelites don't work in the Turkish deserts.
If its "on Turkish deserts" then I imagine like I would take GPS or TV and want to do something with it which affects desert somehow. Can some natural english speaker clarify?
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Omega

• Debating honestly even if no-one else will
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2016, 01:55:03 AM »
GPS and TV sattelites don't work on Turkish deserts.
  As english isn't my first language then I fail to translate this sentence correctly. I would say - GPS and TV sattelites don't work in the Turkish deserts.
If its "on Turkish deserts" then I imagine like I would take GPS or TV and want to do something with it which affects desert somehow. Can some natural english speaker clarify?

Sure. The guy is batshit crazy. There's your explanation.
Only thing round in FE is its circular logic.

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2016, 02:32:34 AM »
The meaning of popular science is   more insulting  as a proof . Being polite and a respectful man is the meaning of to be a Flat Earther.

Satellite TV doesn't work on unmarked areas that have no microwave towers.

Yes it does. Satellite TV works everywhere where it's pointed. If it's TurkSat, then you get TurkSat coverage everywhere in Turkey.

If it's EuroSat it works everywhere in Europe.

I know it from Turkey. Our GPS doesn't work on deserts on Turkey, antennas doesn't work on desert on Turkey.

This is hilarious. GPS absolutely works everywhere in the world. The exception is covered areas. AKA cities.
GPS works better in the middle of deserts and forests and mountains and the fricking ocean.

Sir, you are a joke.

I'm not a joke but you are still saying to continue the lies. GPS and TV sattelites don't work on Turkish deserts. I know it because when i travel from ıstanbul to any uninhabited area my gps, my telephone don't work at there. And tv don't work on the some small settlements.

You are saying estimates on the area got the radio waves or not but i'm living it.

Are you really saying you have a satellite phone?

If your GPS is using mapping software and you bought the unit outside of Turkey you will need to buy the Turkish maps.

Satellite TV might not work if the satellite is low in the sky and you are close to mountains.

In this picture the smaller units are microwave units for ground to ground contact so point sideways.  The larger object points upwards for something in the sky in a very particular location.   The focus of that thing is very small - it uses a parabolic surface to direct energy into the small  suspended detector which is at the focus of that large dish.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:38:13 AM by Aliveandkicking »

Cirshiss

• Religion is crowdcontrol. Most often not needed.
Re: Classic and Advanced Sattelite types on the Flat Earth ! (Topic With poll)
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
That is a microwave dish used for point to point communication for eg linking mobile phone base stations. Take it from someone who knows.

Mobile or tv uses same linking. All of these using the "comminication bandwith" so there is no difference around mobile, gps or tv transmission. You can use your telephone for watch tv and you can use your tv for entering internet!

Which of you thinked about this question before i asked: how can you entering internet by using a sattelite tv? it is just gathering waves and have only an antenna. Can't send anything any data.
In remote areas of Australia we have quite a lot of internet connections using satellites, so satellites can be used for two-way data communication.

But you cannot get two-way data communication over an ordinary satellite TV link, that is strictly a one-way link.

If you want to arrange a connection, contact NBN Satellite (Sky Muster). (see, free ad)

Of course if an internet connection is available by cable, ADSL or mobile data then that is less expensive and has a higher data rate.
Where those are not available (a large part of Australia) satellite internet connections are valuable.

Did you ever think on how satellite internet connections work? It is impossible. Your tv remote control only controls to your tv, but you are sending to a request to an internet web site and getting the answer. Getting an answer is possible but it is impossible you send a data request by your tv system. This is impossible. Completely nonsence. It is not sattelite tv, it is a microwave point to point transmission.
Most of the wold must seem magic to you :) Oh how I wish I could unlearn myself to your degree. How fucking awesome the world was back then.

Tsss, not really. The more we learn the more we understand there is to learn.
  • Absolute power corrupts absolutely
  • The road to "hell" is paved with good intentions
  • Reap what you sow

Is love a measurement of how far one can distract oneself from ones own mortality?

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2016, 12:11:49 AM »
It must be principled .

The meaning of popular science is   more insulting  as a proof . Being polite and a respectful man is the meaning of to be a Flat Earther.

Satellite TV doesn't work on unmarked areas that have no microwave towers.

Yes it does. Satellite TV works everywhere where it's pointed. If it's TurkSat, then you get TurkSat coverage everywhere in Turkey.

If it's EuroSat it works everywhere in Europe.

I know it from Turkey. Our GPS doesn't work on deserts on Turkey, antennas doesn't work on desert on Turkey.

This is hilarious. GPS absolutely works everywhere in the world. The exception is covered areas. AKA cities.
GPS works better in the middle of deserts and forests and mountains and the fricking ocean.

Sir, you are a joke.

I'm not a joke but you are still saying to continue the lies. GPS and TV sattelites don't work on Turkish deserts. I know it because when i travel from ıstanbul to any uninhabited area my gps, my telephone don't work at there. And tv don't work on the some small settlements.

You are saying estimates on the area got the radio waves or not but i'm living it.

Are you really saying you have a satellite phone?

If your GPS is using mapping software and you bought the unit outside of Turkey you will need to buy the Turkish maps.

Satellite TV might not work if the satellite is low in the sky and you are close to mountains.

In this picture the smaller units are microwave units for ground to ground contact so point sideways.  The larger object points upwards for something in the sky in a very particular location.   The focus of that thing is very small - it uses a parabolic surface to direct energy into the small  suspended detector which is at the focus of that large dish.

That is a microwave dish used for point to point communication for eg linking mobile phone base stations. Take it from someone who knows.

Mobile or tv uses same linking. All of these using the "comminication bandwith" so there is no difference around mobile, gps or tv transmission. You can use your telephone for watch tv and you can use your tv for entering internet!

Which of you thinked about this question before i asked: how can you entering internet by using a sattelite tv? it is just gathering waves and have only an antenna. Can't send anything any data.
In remote areas of Australia we have quite a lot of internet connections using satellites, so satellites can be used for two-way data communication.

But you cannot get two-way data communication over an ordinary satellite TV link, that is strictly a one-way link.

If you want to arrange a connection, contact NBN Satellite (Sky Muster). (see, free ad)

Of course if an internet connection is available by cable, ADSL or mobile data then that is less expensive and has a higher data rate.
Where those are not available (a large part of Australia) satellite internet connections are valuable.

Did you ever think on how satellite internet connections work? It is impossible. Your tv remote control only controls to your tv, but you are sending to a request to an internet web site and getting the answer. Getting an answer is possible but it is impossible you send a data request by your tv system. This is impossible. Completely nonsence. It is not sattelite tv, it is a microwave point to point transmission.
Most of the wold must seem magic to you :) Oh how I wish I could unlearn myself to your degree. How fucking awesome the world was back then.

Tsss, not really. The more we learn the more we understand there is to learn.

Ignored by Interrupting a conversation.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »
Microwave doesn't work well in the desert but works wonderfully at heating dessert.  My satellite sucks at heating my dessert but works perfect in the desert. I have sat my phone and my tv and my gps in the dessert and they work fine. You lie!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
Ignored by Interrupting a conversation.

You are such a childish spoiled brat!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »
Microwave doesn't work well in the desert but works wonderfully at heating dessert.  My satellite sucks at heating my dessert but works perfect in the desert. I have sat my phone and my tv and my gps in the dessert and they work fine. You lie!

Thanks.

Where we pay to for this entertainment?  :)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
This entire thread is a monument to the stupidity of intikam and his ilk. They avail themselves of nothing more than their own understanding and when that fails - as it does for everyone - they rely on magic and legend and silly thoughts. The rest of us look up the science and established facts.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:31 AM »
Intikam, this is a forum. "interrupting a conversation" is not how things work here. I find your attitude way more rude than people insulting you (although that is a low blow, people. Dont do that).

In any case, Satellite TV downlinks are, indeed, microwave radio (Usually band-C downlinks), while GPS uses L-band microwave radio (a couple hundred MHz above the 900Mhz ISM/GSM band).

Now the question is. You can track this satellites. You can build an azimut pointing antenna, with a 40 or higher dBi gain antenna (and the corresponding inability to pick up anything not around a couple degrees of the target), and you WILL pick up signals. Not only that, but the signals MOVE. I've heard others claim before its because ionospheric bounces. But you cant ionobounce microwaves! The ionosphere is completely transparent to microwaves. And much less MOVE THE SIGNALS ACROSS THE SKY. You can see this with a GPS receptor, the signals move about. And they come from points on the sky whose position is known beforehand! How do you explain GPS geolocalization using only ground towers? Its impossible!

Now, there ARE microwave towers, which are some of the antennas you posted earlier, specifically the drum shaped ones. The problem is, those antennas are almost waveguides. The signal travels practically in a straight line, which is why those devices are called microwave links. The problem being: YOU CANT SERVE TWO RECEPTORS AT DIFERENT POSITIONS.

I'd also like to say your poll is terribly dishonest. You don't need to believe everything NASA or the goverment or the media or whatever your scapegoat is, is true, and that God doesnt (you didn't consider thay I dont believe in the existance of gods, either) to believe satellites work. You just need to have seen one, to have tracked one's signal, or simply to think about the infraestructure required to make hundreds of signals move around in the night sky. If you come up with some idea, please do tell.

Also I was going to explain why the thermosphere is only really hot in name only, but I think its going to be a pointless endeavour, really. Think about this, then. Is the interior of an oven, if you make vacuum in and around the oven, hot, or cold?
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
This entire thread is a monument to the stupidity of intikam and his ilk. They avail themselves of nothing more than their own understanding and when that fails - as it does for everyone - they rely on magic and legend and silly thoughts. The rest of us look up the science and established facts.

Almost all of you rounders are some workers fed by NASA and some institutes and some clons. It does not mean anything anyway because of this stupid fool most of the criticism rounders are currently stupids.

So stop do the perception study. I don't affected by them. Just fall yourself ridiculous. Nobody forced you to criticize me or for your response. I'm ignoring all of stupids so you have same right to use. Use the option to ignore rather than criticize my acts.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
Intikam, this is a forum. "interrupting a conversation" is not how things work here. I find your attitude way more rude than people insulting you (although that is a low blow, people. Dont do that).

Low idiots working and trying to stop my research. I don't need anyone of them. This is my choice. You should'nt accept this but you should to respect my decision. if you do not respect my  decisions, I don't respect your recommends. You show with this critism you don't respect my decision so i don't care what you recommend me about that idiots.

In any case, Satellite TV downlinks are, indeed, microwave radio (Usually band-C downlinks), while GPS uses L-band microwave radio (a couple hundred MHz above the 900Mhz ISM/GSM band).

Now the question is. You can track this satellites. You can build an azimut pointing antenna, with a 40 or higher dBi gain antenna (and the corresponding inability to pick up anything not around a couple degrees of the target), and you WILL pick up signals. Not only that, but the signals MOVE. I've heard others claim before its because ionospheric bounces. But you cant ionobounce microwaves! The ionosphere is completely transparent to microwaves. And much less MOVE THE SIGNALS ACROSS THE SKY. You can see this with a GPS receptor, the signals move about. And they come from points on the sky whose position is known beforehand! How do you explain GPS geolocalization using only ground towers? Its impossible!

Now, there ARE microwave towers, which are some of the antennas you posted earlier, specifically the drum shaped ones. The problem is, those antennas are almost waveguides. The signal travels practically in a straight line, which is why those devices are called microwave links. The problem being: YOU CANT SERVE TWO RECEPTORS AT DIFERENT POSITIONS.

I'd also like to say your poll is terribly dishonest. You don't need to believe everything NASA or the goverment or the media or whatever your scapegoat is, is true, and that God doesnt (you didn't consider thay I dont believe in the existance of gods, either) to believe satellites work. You just need to have seen one, to have tracked one's signal, or simply to think about the infraestructure required to make hundreds of signals move around in the night sky. If you come up with some idea, please do tell.

Also I was going to explain why the thermosphere is only really hot in name only, but I think its going to be a pointless endeavour, really. Think about this, then. Is the interior of an oven, if you make vacuum in and around the oven, hot, or cold?

This time i'm going out of the office. I don't understand the matter exactly and need more time to understand and return back to your post.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

?

Woody

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:36 AM »

Here is a time lapse gif of some stationary lights in the night sky.  They are no recorded observation from any civilization throughout history until after we are told those satellites were launched. 

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »

Low idiots working and trying to stop my research. I don't need anyone of them. This is my choice. You should'nt accept this but you should to respect my decision. if you do not respect my  decisions, I don't respect your recommends. You show with this critism you don't respect my decision so i don't care what you recommend me about that idiots.
I don't think you got the point here. This is a forum, a form of internet public discussion. As such, you are expected to follow a set of rules. Even in a place with a moderation as lax as this one, you still have to abide by the basic principle that this is a public set. People will answer you because every post you do implicitly asks people to do so. If you don't like this, don't use a forum. This is not me being an asshole here, this is simply how they work. You come into my daughter's wedding with a bleached out tie, so I'm giving you another one. If I was an asshole who just wanted you gone, I'd just tell you to eff yourself, which I wont, because there's no reason to. I want all of us to be able to use this public forum without disruptions, being either your attitude, or even the attitude many newb RE'ers have with long standing members.
And, of course, telling you that you are riding your car wrong, and are disrupting the course of trafic has nothing to do with a personal issue with you. I am simply pointing out something you should correct in order to have a happier time on the site.

This time i'm going out of the office. I don't understand the matter exactly and need more time to understand and return back to your post.
[/quote]
Fair 'nuff
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

flatmarstinfoilhatter69

• I like space. space space space.
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
The poll is VERY one sided please fix.
good telescopes can see ISS in view blocking part of the moon.

but you will probably pull the "fake card" ::)
look like its satellite season out here in the F.E. forums

Sun mirages are my favorite.
F.E. is obviously a joke to many so they can  play with it.
Permanent liar arrived but i can't see his post. And the other one. Lalalalaaaa no on

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2016, 03:43:25 AM »
The poll is VERY one sided please fix.
good telescopes can see ISS in view blocking part of the moon.

but you will probably pull the "fake card" ::)
look like its satellite season out here in the F.E. forums

Ahahah good cgi working.  :)

I can put the ISS image to everest photo with a good work. :)
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2016, 03:51:49 AM »
Okay, show us your photoshop skills.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2016, 03:53:48 AM »
T>his is a part of the owner of that photo

Dylan O’Donnell is a humble young Dad who you may have passed in the street or the IGA at Sunrise a hundred times with his little boy not far away from him.

Dylan’s story is inspirational, so inspirational in fact (yes I am a huge fan of Dylan and his work), I asked him to answer a few questions in the first of what will be a regular feature about people and their passion on Common Ground. People you pass in the street everyday and never know their story. So now you can get to know Dylan, just one of the amazing people that make up our vibrant colourful and complex community.

Dylan’s story is only half written, but so far it’s a story about a young man who went from flunking high school, to becoming an acclaimed astrophotographer with a family, a small portfolio of investment property, 2 degrees and a national IT company director.

Dylan grew up in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth – a real urban, city kid.

He was kicked out of a catholic boys school in year 9 for being vocally irreligious, and scored poorly in his year 12 HSC. He picked himself up repeated year 12 and beat 80% of the state.

And as soon as Dylan was old enough to leave the city for a country university he did. Who wouldn’t? No parents, no responsibility except for study, and a springboard for exploring Australia’s interior. He was young and won’t deny it – he partied well enough to ensure he could have held his own at a table with Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Keith Richards, except like Richards he is still alive to enjoy the memories.

He then flunked uni, but again picked himself and finished his degree in IT with top marks. He did a Masters degree after that and was awarded top of his stream again. All the while, he was working full time as a unix systems administrator at an ISP where he ran internet across the entire country. Failure and trying again is a recurring theme in Dylan’s life.

At one point during this time, he moved into his 4wd for 6 months. That’s where Dylan really began to learn DSLR photography. He would wake up in forests, on beaches, besides waterfalls, then go to work at a desk and server room until 5pm. Nature and Technology – and lots of it.

“I met my partner, Anna at university and one day we just decided to quit our jobs and move to Byron Bay. I’d been building my website and hosting business DNA Digital since 2000 and through a series of strategic mergers, acquisitions and organic growth we now service almost 1000 businesses across Australia. This also allowed me to buy a few properties along the way too.”

In 2013, I was lucky enough to score a trip to San Francisco to visit Google on a work junket. I was energised by the city, it’s youthful entrepreneurial spirit and technical bedrock, but I also took the opportunity to blow my savings on a trip to Florida to visit NASA. A childhood dream.”
http://commongroundaustralia.com/byronbay/community/people-2/people-you-should-know-dylan-odonnell/
You can find out his story by a bit searching.

Would you want to say me who of us gone to Florida and visit NASA. We did not!

What is the meaning of amateur. This knowledge shows his connection with NASA. He is not an amateur. He is a professional that meet and got money from NASA for some lies.

High probably he got this photo from NASA.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:11 AM »

Sorry i forgot to ignore you and declare  it.

You were ignored by disrespecting on the one of past post and from now on.

By this post

So, you're telling me when a child gets raped, the child actually chose to "feel these emotions". This, sir, makes you in my opinon an ignorant asshole.

User324 were ignored by disrespecting.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:03:27 AM by İntikam »
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2016, 04:48:24 AM »

Sorry i forgot to ignore you and declare  it.

You were ignored by disrespecting on the one of past post and from now on.

By this post

So, you're telling me when a child gets raped, the child actually chose to "feel these emotions". This, sir, makes you in my opinon an ignorant asshole.

User324 were ignored by disrespecting.

Funny thing is: You can still see whenever I post and I'm very sure you'll always read what I wrote  ;D

Member of the BOTD

onebigmonkey

• You. Yes you. Stand still laddie.
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2016, 05:50:11 AM »
You can find out his story by a bit searching.

Would you want to say me who of us gone to Florida and visit NASA. We did not!

What is the meaning of amateur. This knowledge shows his connection with NASA. He is not an amateur. He is a professional that meet and got money from NASA for some lies.

Logic fail.

My mother spent some of her savings and went to Florida, and visited NASA while she was there. Does that mean she works for NASA? I have a school friend who went recently to visit NASA. Does this mean he works for NASA instead of the office refurbishment job he actually does? No, only a complete idiot would argue that.

If you believe your statement is true, why not ask him. There are links to his facebook and twitter accounts on the site you link to. Or are you too much of a coward? You could even spend some time looking for the many many other people who have taken similar photographs and call them liars too.

I've got a nice timelapse of the ISS crossing above Orion. I took it myself. Does that mean I work for NASA?
Facts won't do what I want them to.

We went from a round Earth to a round Moon: http://onebigmonkey.com/apollo/apollo.html

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
Funny thing is: You can still see whenever I post and I'm very sure you'll always read what I wrote  ;D

So true. 

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

So true.

Exactly!

Edit: Ignore list unfortunatly doesn't work as it is supposed to. Anyway, it's funny; you can simultaneously add someone to buddy and ignor-list.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:53:53 PM by User324 »

Member of the BOTD

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?

« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2016, 05:29:19 AM »
how do you explain being able to see satellites with the naked eye?
how do you explain being able to track satellites?
how do you explain photos of satellites? (taken by professionals AND amateurs)
how do you explain GPS? (not mobile phone or tv signal)

you've not done any cross examination in your research, this is why you think the way you do

I have a question, why do you ignore people's replies? Your question has been answered..

you're free to believe the earth is flat, but dismissing irrefutable evidence is called 'cognitive dissonance', what you should do, when asking a question, is LISTEN to the answers and take them on board

there's absolutely NO disputing the fact that satellites exist, you can frikkin SEE THEM!!

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2016, 05:31:56 AM »
also.. your poll is missing an answer:
4. satellites exist because I can see them with binoculars or a telescope

how about I say, trees don't exist, no one has ever seen one, photos are faked and anyone who claims they've seen one is a paid shill, I'll block them and ignore any evidence

you're one of the most ridiculous people on here

« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
Satellite receiver dishes point to space. FACT.  PROVEN.

Satellite dishes don't point up to space at 90 degree angles. They point to the nearest ground based radio tower at a near 45 degree angle.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »
Satellite receiver dishes point to space. FACT.  PROVEN.

Satellite dishes don't point up to space at 90 degree angles. They point to the nearest ground based radio tower at a near 45 degree angle.

What ground based radio tower could be at a near 45 degree angle?

A ground based radio tower would be roughly horizontal from most dishes!

Are you going to tell me that these "satellite dishes don't point up to space at 90 degree angles"? Well close anyway!

Satellite TV Dishes in Indonesia

Please put brain into gear before touching keyboard.

Mikey T.

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
After reading this guy's multiple posts,  I am starting to miss cik, scepti, and JROWE.  At least they were understandable while trading insults with and didn't automatically claim to ignore you when you challenged them.
Anyway, If I had the inclination and desire to explain how satellite TV works, I would point him to the posts I made a year or so ago.  I tried to dumb it down as much as possible for Yendor at the time.  Didn't work that time either though.