why is it ok for moderators to break the rules?

• 61 Replies
why is it ok for moderators to break the rules?
« on: August 13, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »
I've just seen a moderator banning someone for 3 days for low content posting

right below my pointing out that your moderators do the same

the moderator Ski did it to me, my thread points out that there's too much derailment in this forum and I asked for direct answers

he came in and started talking about olden days music

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67470.0

so, my question is:
why is it ok for moderators to post low content, purposeful derailment and comments with no relation to the actual threads?

I'm requesting an official answer

Thanks

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: why is it ok for moderators to break the rules?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:26:07 PM »
We at the Flat Earth Society appreciate your input. Because of the serious nature of your allegations, we cannot make a determination without appropriate earnest measures. I will summon the high council on the next blood moon, as is tradition regarding such serious accusations.  We will meet in our secret lair and weigh the alleged offenses against your entitled and rude behaviour, of which even globularists have tried to make you aware. When we have sipped sufficient champagne and supped our fill of the caviar, we will make our decision and contact you.

PS -- stop spamming the complaint feature.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:10:48 AM »
We at the Flat Earth Society appreciate your input. Because of the serious nature of your allegations, we cannot make a determination without appropriate earnest measures. I will summon the high council on the next blood moon, as is tradition regarding such serious accusations.  We will meet in our secret lair and weigh the alleged offenses against your entitled and rude behaviour, of which even globularists have tried to make you aware. When we have sipped sufficient champagne and supped our fill of the caviar, we will make our decision and contact you.

PS -- stop spamming the complaint feature.

why is the moderator I'm complaining about allowed to reply like this?

@John Davis - please inbox me, why should I have to put up with this?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 04:02:07 AM »
You don't!
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:53:56 AM »
You don't!

so what's your suggestion?
I should leave?

because the moderators want to break the rules, give shit to members and attempt to belittle others?

and if someone complains about it, THEY should leave?

how about the moderators get sacked? they're NOT doing their job, they're abusing their power, and expecting others to follow the rules THEY break?

really?

double standards? irony? have you never heard of these things?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
You don't!

I should leave?

because the moderators want to break the rules, give shit to members and attempt to belittle others?

how about the moderators get sacked? they're NOT doing their job, they're abusing their power, and expecting others to follow the rules THEY break?

really?

Of course I have heard of these things.  But is it so important to you to go on a crusade to get moderators canned?  If it is, then go to.  If it isn't you can ignore them, you can leave, or you can learn to beat them at their own game.  I used to think like you, then I realized that, first of all, this is not a public institution, and I am owed nothing in the way of entitlements or justice, and second, that I would rather enjoy my time here than getting pissed off every time a mod does something snide.

Do what you feel, but know that you can rise above this too.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »
You don't!

I should leave?

really?

John, take a few deep breaths. The mods don't run this place like a military. For every post you receive a warning or ban for, there are 10 that we let slide because we don't want to stifle discussion or be overbearing. Usually, people only get warnings/bans when they are new (so that they learn) or when they are flagrantly breaking rules across multiple threads in multiple boards; the forum equivalent of running through town naked and firing pistols into the air while shouting obscenities.

This double standard and abuse of power you perceive is not only ludicrous, but completely non-existent. We try and cultivate a culture of openness and fairness with an air of civility. However, to maintain civility, there must be structures in place ensure it. So, if you cannot fathom the occasional and gentle reminders of mods to get back on topic as anything other than a totalitarian and oppressive system, then maybe Rama Set is right and you may want to consider a break.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 07:22:44 AM »
This double standard and abuse of power you perceive is not only ludicrous, but completely non-existent. We try and cultivate a culture of openness and fairness with an air of civility.
Seriously?  Have you ever read any of jroa's posts?  Jroa has many qualities, but fairness and civility are not among them.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
You don't!

I should leave?

really?

John, take a few deep breaths. The mods don't run this place like a military. For every post you receive a warning or ban for, there are 10 that we let slide because we don't want to stifle discussion or be overbearing. Usually, people only get warnings/bans when they are new (so that they learn) or when they are flagrantly breaking rules across multiple threads in multiple boards; the forum equivalent of running through town naked and firing pistols into the air while shouting obscenities.

This double standard and abuse of power you perceive is not only ludicrous, but completely non-existent. We try and cultivate a culture of openness and fairness with an air of civility. However, to maintain civility, there must be structures in place ensure it. So, if you cannot fathom the occasional and gentle reminders of mods to get back on topic as anything other than a totalitarian and oppressive system, then maybe Rama Set is right and you may want to consider a break.

denial? I wasn't expecting that.. especially when it's so blatant

nonexistent! I can't believe you wrote that, did you not read Ski's response?

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 11:08:53 AM »
You don't!

I should leave?

really?

Still waiting for a reply

you must be confusing me with someone else, I'm not the one derailing threads by going off topic, IT'S YOUR MODERATORS

so, as you clearly agree that behaviour is not acceptable, then what are you going to do with your moderators Ski and Jroa?

I know the answer, I'd just like to see you admit to it

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Pongo posts about once a week, there's no point posting about how you're waiting for an answer every day.

I know you hate how this forum is, but it's been this way forever. You either love it, or you go somewhere else.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 01:21:42 AM »
Pongo posts about once a week, there's no point posting about how you're waiting for an answer every day.

I know you hate how this forum is, but it's been this way forever. You either love it, or you go somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure that's not what the owners of the forum want the regulars saying

it's supposed to be fair

saying 'like it or lump it' is not good practice, I don't like it, but I'm still here.. its only the kids like you that act childish that ruin the site, look at John Davis's reply on my other post, take some tips, that's how a debate works..
not 'look out of your window' and 'ants can't see' type replies

if you're only after posting ego boosting comments, YOU shouldn't be in a debate forum, you should be on youtube
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:23:27 AM by johnnyorbital »

disputeone

• Or should I?
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 02:49:02 AM »
poor attempt at derailment

please keep comments on topic

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »
I'm anti-judaism.

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 04:05:50 AM »
you've got so little to say, you're just quoting someone else's ridiculous statement?

i know flat earthers don't like having globe earthers here but it's supposed to be an open forum

I'm just trying to get it ran LIKE a forum, because at present, it's not even close

while the regulars are trying to act like scarecrows

not working, just making yourselves look ridiculous

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 04:07:43 AM »
I believe we are on an oblate spheroid in a heliocentric solar system orbiting the supermassive black hole at the centre of the milky way galaxy.

Thanks for your concern.

Edit, the more I am on this website the more I feel that it is important that it continues.
Would you like it to be called JO's round earth society?

Why not join more mainstream science forums instead, where you can debate with intellectual equals. I really don't get why this site bothers you so much.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:10:22 AM by disputeone »
I'm anti-judaism.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 04:25:22 AM »
the site doesn't

the moderators try derailing threads, I'm simply just reporting it

I don't care if your a flat earther or a globe earther, your response was childish, I'm not here to have back and forth with kids

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 04:31:43 AM »
I don't care if your a flat earther or a globe earther, your response was childish, I'm not here to have back and forth with kids

I think that's why most people on this forum have no patience with you anymore unfortunately.

there's an overwhelming amount of evidence in favour of a round earth, no ones denying that, it really takes little skill to do what you're doing.

Im not sure what you want.

I don't think you're that stupid, just rude, arrogant and obnoxious, if it makes you feel better.

Did you expect the flat earthers to refute all of your points and convince you that the earth is flat? Because you seem disappointed that it didn't happen.

Edit
Check out Rabinoz and Mr Debunks posts, they can debunk FE ideas without looking like a spoiled brat.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:34:19 AM by disputeone »
I'm anti-judaism.

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 05:01:20 AM »
If you check my first thread, I was polite, respectful, thankful and appreciative..
..while I was receiving childish petty comments back

I ignored for long enough

only because my 2nd thread was titled 'what's left now', people started saying I was demanding answers

ITS A FORUM, PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO DEBATE

I've not acted like a spoiled brat, it's just difficult to keep your cool in a forum that seems full of 10yr olds

I've asked this before, feel free to point out any time, on any thread, where I've been anything you've said, that wasn't in direct reply to a worse comment

I'm big on respect, if someone doesn't give it, they don't get it back, you'll not find me being disrespectful to someone being respectful to me

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »
I am starting to like disputeone, even if he does not know what shape the Earth is.  johnyorbital has been rude, condescending, and smug ever since he first started posting here.  If you want people to respond to you, perhaps you should examine your posting style? 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
The owner of this forum doesn't really get involved with the forum anymore, he hasn't in the past 10 years or so. He pays the bills, and we are grateful.

Believe it or not, but we used to have truly terrible mods. There were a few years when we were all mad about what was going on here. Now they're trying to balance having a little fun, with enforcing the rules. If you are too rigid with rule enforcement it is no fun, if you don't enforce at all then it is chaos. Personally I am happy with the way they are trying to do things now. The mods are members of this forum, too. They are real people who make mistakes sometimes, but almost all of them are open to having a conversation about whatever is bothering you. They are good people!

I'm not sure why you've got such a problem with Ski. Ski is one of the nicest people!  That you've managed to have cross words with him is really baffling. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
I am starting to like disputeone, even if he does not know what shape the Earth is.  johnyorbital has been rude, condescending, and smug ever since he first started posting here.  If you want people to respond to you, perhaps you should examine your posting style?

I've asked you previously to point out any time that I've been ANY of those things without incitement, you failed to do so

The owner of this forum doesn't really get involved with the forum anymore, he hasn't in the past 10 years or so. He pays the bills, and we are grateful.

Believe it or not, but we used to have truly terrible mods. There were a few years when we were all mad about what was going on here. Now they're trying to balance having a little fun, with enforcing the rules. If you are too rigid with rule enforcement it is no fun, if you don't enforce at all then it is chaos. Personally I am happy with the way they are trying to do things now. The mods are members of this forum, too. They are real people who make mistakes sometimes, but almost all of them are open to having a conversation about whatever is bothering you. They are good people!

I'm not sure why you've got such a problem with Ski. Ski is one of the nicest people!  That you've managed to have cross words with him is really baffling. 

just look at his comments on my posts, he's very similar to yourself, nothing to say so he just belittles people, while you do it in a childish way, he tries to hide his lack of substance with long words

he's the worst mod I've encountered on here

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
If I was just a dick, I'd be a dick with everyone

I'm respectful to people who are respectful, I'd not just be rude to someone for no reason

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »
Orbital n00b.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »
yawn.. ever heard of substance?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
I'm going to lock this thread if it's just going to be bickering. This thread is about how the mods are breaking rules and unmercifully oppressing John, not name calling. Get back on topic.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »
Johnorbital,

Hold your breath until you die and then run away from home.
That will teach them. You'll get your way.

Why do you care?
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »
Rules?? 
LOL 

You don't!
I should leave?
I will 2nd that. 
Do not take it personally.  I believe everybody who peddles "global" bullshit should leave PRONTO!!! 

I am cool with double standards. 
I believe posting anything that disagrees with the premise "The earth is flat." should be grounds for instant banning. 

As long as globalists are permitted to troll this place, moderators ALLEGEDLY breaking rules is no big deal to me. 

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
I'm taking that as sarcasm

@pongo I'm still waiting for an answer as to why it's allowed, i've presented blatant proof, I'm waiting on my complaint response and confirmation the moderators have been advised accordingly