Poll

Shills Lie about the Gas Laws.

Yes they do!
25 (45.5%)
NO NO NO WE DO NOT OH NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
30 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Shills claim rockets work in a vacuum.

• 1262 Replies

disputeone

• Or should I?
Re: Shills claim rockets work in a vacuum.
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
CONCLUSION:
Legba 1
Shills  0

Interpretation: I haven't got a clue what happened here, have no idea how 2 scalar quantities combine to produce a vector, but I'd better lend some moral support to my 'troof-buddy' cos I don't like to see him get roasted.

Loyalty is a great personality trait: so well done, you! I award you a "Faithful Puppy Certificate Tier 1". You may use it as your avatar.

Hey leave hoppy alone.

Also Papa is a troll not a truther.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:52 PM »
Are you trying to say that pressure gradients are balanced forces?

Carry on...
Do you not understand the question?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2016, 09:11:22 PM »

Carry on...

Do you not understand what you wrote?

Stop wasting my time.
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #453 on: December 09, 2016, 12:06:55 AM »

Carry on...

Stop wasting my time.
He understands that what he wrote disproves your whole point. Lol

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #454 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »

Carry on...

Stop wasting my time.
A rocket expelling high pressure gas into a vacuum sounds like a pressure gradient to me.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #455 on: December 09, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
Markjo you obviously don't know how pressure gradients work. Stop making yourself look like a dummy and admit that you're wrong, or you'll just give proof to the validity of the results of the pole in this thread.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #456 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
Total silence from markjo in the face of even the slightest opposition...

An action typical of cowards & bullies btw.

Back to the Gas Laws he lies about...

Please read:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/thermodynamics-chemistry/internal-energy-sal/a/pressure-volume-work

In it you will find the equation used to determine the amount of Work done by a Gas...

The equation is: Work = external Pressure x change in Volume.

As the external Pressure in a Vacuum is ZERO, then a Gas introduced into a Vacuum will do ZERO Work.

And without WORK there can be neither POWER nor FORCE, & thus no MOTION:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html

Moreover, the experiment to prove this FACT was one of the mathematical & conceptual foundations of Thermodynamics:

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node33.html

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eYQHIjkaEroC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=joule+free+expansion+conservation+of+energy&source=bl&ots=lNNu7CV1-P&sig=YMAwtaJTmLf7BF4Ts4jcWzVTY98&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWv6XJh6rPAhXEOxoKHXskDjw4ChDoAQgfMAE#v=onepage&q=joule%20free%20expansion%20conservation%20of%20energy&f=false

Again, I will quote the relevant section: "Joule noticed that in this process (i.e. Free Expansion) the gas does not 'develop mechanical power' i.e. no mechanical work is performed either by or on the gas".

Pretty conclusive: a gas-POWERED rocket cannot possibly do WORK in a vacuum.

To claim that it does is to violate the very foundations of the Laws of Thermodynamics: FACT.

And no matter how much you stamp your feet & try to turn the page on these scientific FACTS they simply will not go away...

Sucks to be you; oh yes it does!

Toodle-pip, LOSERS!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #457 on: December 09, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Markjo you obviously don't know how pressure gradients work. Stop making yourself look like a dummy and admit that you're wrong, or you'll just give proof to the validity of the results of the pole in this thread.
I'm lost, "the pole in this thread"? As far as I know there are no "poles" anywhere on this thread, dummy. The nearest I can find is the poll at the start, and that is worded in the usual biased way that it's almost as bad as asking "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" Answer yes or no.

No wonder those who honestly believe in space travel are reluctant to vote.

But maybe you could think of a new word to label all who disagree with you? Calling everyone "dummy" makes us think you must be a bit of a dummy!

PS  I'm just as much a real human being as you.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #458 on: December 09, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »
<science-free bullshit snipped>

An action typical of cowards & bullies btw.

Please read:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/thermodynamics-chemistry/internal-energy-sal/a/pressure-volume-work

In it you will find the equation used to determine the amount of Work done by a Gas...

As the external Pressure in a Vacuum is ZERO, then a Gas introduced into a Vacuum will do ZERO Work.

Moreover, the experiment to prove this FACT was one of the mathematical & conceptual foundations of Thermodynamics:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eYQHIjkaEroC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=joule+free+expansion+conservation+of+energy&source=bl&ots=lNNu7CV1-P&sig=YMAwtaJTmLf7BF4Ts4jcWzVTY98&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWv6XJh6rPAhXEOxoKHXskDjw4ChDoAQgfMAE#v=onepage&q=joule%20free%20expansion%20conservation%20of%20energy&f=false

Again, I will quote the relevant section: "Joule noticed that in this process (i.e. Free Expansion) the gas does not 'develop mechanical power' i.e. no mechanical work is performed either by or on the gas".

To claim that it does is to violate the very foundations of the Laws of Thermodynamics: FACT.

And no matter how much you stamp your feet & try to turn the page on these scientific FACTS they simply will not go away...

Toodle-pip, LOSERS!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #459 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
^What you get when a 65 year old son of a cowardly family line pretends to know science.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #460 on: December 09, 2016, 01:15:03 PM »
^What you get when a 65 year old son of a cowardly family line pretends to know science.

^What you get when a bot is allowed to run rampant on a forum.

Please read:

Toodle-pip, LOSERS!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #461 on: December 09, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »
Or, the inconvenient fact that markjo has a job and can't always be at Papa Legba's beck and call.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #462 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
Markjo you obviously don't know how pressure gradients work.
Then please enlighten me.  Please explain how gasses flowing through a DeLaval nozzle do not create one or more pressure gradients.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #463 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »
Or, the inconvenient fact that markjo has a job and can't always be at Papa Legba's beck and call.

Cool story bro...

Funny how the bot sokarul always sets your pointless shitpost up with an even more pointless shitpost ain't it?

Then please enlighten me.

Already did.

Stop wasting my time.

Please read:

Toodle-pip, LOSERS!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
Then please enlighten me.

Already did.
Papa Legba admits to being Arealhumanbeing.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #465 on: December 09, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
<science-free bullshit snipped>
Irrelevant, I wasn't talking to you! Take a reading course some time.

But continually the plain simple fact that "It's the only type of work that a system such as this (piston-cylinder) can achieve." but not the only type of work that a gas can do.

You should ask more questions before designing you piston engined space-craft.

Is PV work the only kind of work a system can do?

It's the only type of work that a system such as this (piston-cylinder) can achieve. There are many different forms of Work, such as electrical work (dW=Current*Voltage*dt), rotational work (dW=Torque*Angular Acceleration*dt), and many other situations. Basically, anything that has Power (noted as W_dot, which means P=dW/dt) contains the capacity to do work and must be able to do work over time by it's definition.

From: Khan Academy, Work from expansion, under Questions.

Read, learn and inwardly digest ;) piston-cylinder  ;) !

So, I get back to how do you answer all those with far more knowledge on thermodynamics than you or I showing how rockets certainly do provide thrust in a low pressure or vacuum environment.

I quoted these before, and before and . . . .
Now, Robert A. Braeunig understands this a lot better than you
          Robert A. Braeunig, ROCKET PROPULSION.
And if you want the thermodynamics of rocket propulsion, here's a bit
          Robert A. Braeunig, ROCKET THERMODYNAMICS
Or
          THERMODYNAMIC CYCLES OF ROCKET ENGINES, V.M. Polyaev and V.A. Burkaltsev.
This one even gives the P~V diagrams for rocket engines under various pressure conditions, as

Figure 1 - The ideal thermodynamic cycle presented on "p-V" coordinates

Figure 2 - The cycle of the engine under condition pe > pam

Besides, there is a tremendous amount of evidence that rocket engines work under extremely low-pressure conditions for 100 km altitude and up.

Since you claim that they need "atmospheric pressure" to work, please give us your thrust~ambient pressure expression showing thrust increasing with ambient pressure.

If you can't do that it's really just a simple case of "put up" or 'shut up"!

Of course, you think that you are the great Herr Dr Papa Legba, Professeur of Rokkit Sience and simply can't be wrong!

Get over it! You are wrong wrong wrong.
Bye, bye birdie, 'op in you pistin ingined rokkit and fly back to Haiti.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #466 on: December 09, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »

In Papa's mind no one can tell these users are his alts. Pretty sad actually, no wonder why he hates us.
I'm anti-judaism.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #467 on: December 09, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »

In Papa's mind no one can tell these users are his alts. Pretty sad actually, no wonder why he hates us.

Papa thinks all his "opponents" are alts  of :P Geoff  :P because all Globe supporters present more or less the same message, so his simple mind thinks they are the same person,

But there are so many "flat earths" that there is no trouble separating the arguments of say Sandokhan, Sceppy, John Davis and Ski.
What with different maps, different explanations for gravity, different ideas for the shapes of heavenly bodies and the illumination of the moon,
and even vastly different ideas on the structure of matter, no-one can get bored with all the flat earths we have.

If only we could say "Would the real flat earth please stand up!", they it can't do that, it just falls flat.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2016, 12:43:31 AM »
I'm not a flat earther.

And the topic of the thread is shills lying about the gas laws so they can claim rockets work in a vacuum.

Which you all continue to do.

So STFU Geoff.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #469 on: December 10, 2016, 01:34:15 AM »
Papa you are the one lying about and twisting the gas laws, you know fully well why free expansion does not apply and only happens in specific controlled conditions.

Unless our shapayze ship is using pistons without spark plugs expecting it to do work?

Which in that case I agree, your shpayze ship will never work in, or out, of a vacuum.

I was thinking of using a rocket engine or something.

F=ma
N3
CoM
Thermodynamics that isn't taken grossly out of context.

Free expansion is an irreversible process in which a gas expands into an insulated evacuated chamber. It is also called Joule expansion.

During free expansion, no work is done by the gas. The gas goes through states that are not in thermodynamic equilibrium before reaching its final state, which implies that one cannot define thermodynamic parameters as values of the gas as a whole. For example, the pressure changes locally from point to point, and the volume occupied by the gas (which is formed of particles) is not a well defined quantity.

A free expansion is typically achieved by opening a stopcock that allows the gas to expand into a vacuum. Although it would be difficult to achieve in reality, it is instructive to imagine a free expansion caused by moving a piston faster than virtually any atom. No work is done because there is no pressure on the piston. No heat energy leaves or enters the piston. Nevertheless, there is an entropy change.

Notice it doesn't mention gas (which has mass) being propelled at 3000 m/s doing no work.

Because, well, that would violate physics.

You have no argument.

Toodle pip, master of puppets.

I'm anti-judaism.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2016, 01:44:37 AM »
<tl;dr gish-gallop garbage that has all been dealt with & dismissed already>

So you're back to just pretending eh?

It's where you all end up eventually.

Plus you now sound eerily like 'Mainframes', who has been strangely absent recently.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2016, 01:45:58 AM »
<tl;dr gish-gallop garbage that has all been dealt with & dismissed already>

So you're back to just pretending eh?

It's where you all end up eventually.

Plus you now sound eerily like 'Mainframes', who has been strangely absent recently.

It is true, I am moobs.
I'm anti-judaism.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2016, 02:07:59 AM »
^Obvious automated bot response.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #473 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:17 AM »
An automated bot? Man I thought you hated pot, I know you rated cock and masturbating lots in size 4 ladies socks.

turing test my balls papa  :-* :-*
I'm anti-judaism.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #474 on: December 10, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
*Yawn!*

Obvious time-wasting bot is obvious...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #475 on: December 10, 2016, 04:57:12 AM »
An automated bot?
turing test for papa  :-* :-*
;) I don't think Papa would do any better at the Turing test than Eliza  ;).

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #476 on: December 10, 2016, 05:07:55 AM »
I'm not a flat earther.
And the topic of the thread is shills lying about the gas laws so they can claim rockets work in a vacuum.
Which you all continue to do.
So STFU Geoff.
Learn to read past kindergarten level. The only thing I said about you in that post was
"Papa thinks all his "opponents" are alts  of :P Geoff  :P
because all Globe supporters present more or less the same message, so his simple mind thinks they are the same person,"
All caused by the absolutely hopeless way that you think all Globe supporters (except your illustrious self, of course) as Geoff!
Your utter confusion is quite  ;D laughable  ;D, but many have said that they come to this site for entertainment, not expecting a  :D star attraction like you  :D!
They should really charge an admission fee  :'(!

« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2016, 06:12:54 AM »
Please explain to us heretics how 2 scalar quantities (external pressure and internal pressure) combine to create a vector quantity?

Slow learner aintcha Geoff?

Oh dear, this didn't start well for you, isn't going well, and it ain't gonna end well!

Your link goes to the page on Thermodynamics and Work, using the equation work=−PΔV.

But Poppy, pressure, volume and work or all scalar! Which is sad for Poppa-Fhysics!!TM, but does add some extra heat into the roasted nuts.

So, for the gazillionth time (I know, I'm exaggerating), please do explain, how 2 scalar quantities combine to produce a vector quantity, specifically how external pressure (scalar) and internal pressure (scalar) combine to produce an "unbalanced force" (shall we call that, errr, thrust - a vector quantity)?

Now, I know you won't (can't), and you know you won't (can't), and everyone else reading this thread knows you won't (can't), but holding your feet to the fire just adds to the fun Poppy!

Just so we know where we're at, according to Poppa-Fhysics!!TM:-

The First Law of  Poppa-Fhysics!!TM: An unbalanced force can only be created when the internal pressure created by the rocket engine meets an external pressure.

Let's chew on that one for a while... an internal pressure 'meets' an external pressure, and creates an 'unbalanced force'.

Presumably, according to  Poppa-Fhysics!!TM, if the internal pressure is the same as the external pressure, then there is no unbalanced force, so the rocket doesn't move? By the same rationale, can we make the assumption that as we increase the pressure inside the rocket engine, the unbalanced force increases in direct proportion to the difference between the internal and external pressures? Sounds reasonable.

Thought experiment. What happens if we increase the pressure inside the rocket engine, by burning fuel and oxidiser? Pressure inside combustion chamber is very high, pressure outside is 1 Atmosphere. By the First Law, this creates an unbalanced force, and the rocket lifts off. Sounds reasonable.

So, our rocket reaches the heady heights of 1000 feet above sea level. The pressure in the rocket is pretty much constant (we're burning fuel and oxidiser at the same rate), but atmospheric pressure has dropped slightly. By the First Law of  Poppa-Fhysics!!TM, this increases the unbalanced force, providing greater thrust on the rocket.

This process continues, with our imaginary rocket getting higher and higher, the atmospheric pressure getting lower and lower, and the unbalanced force gradually getting higher in proportion to the pressure difference, until... at some notional height, to be explained by Poppa, the number of atmospheric molecules per cubic metre goes from 5, to 4, 3, 2, 1... OK, still an atmosphere, so now our highest level of thrust yet... aaaand, zero molecules per cubic metre, perfect vacuum, aaaaaand, the balanced force magically disappears, the level of thrust instantly drops to zero, and our plucky little rocket plummets back to earth.

Now, I predict Poppy's counter argument will go one of two ways:

Firstly, he might claim that the unbalanced force actually gets SMALLER as the pressure difference increases (which is counter to the First Law of  Poppa-Fhysics!!TMm since if the pressures are the same, there is no unbalanced force.

Secondly, he will just post some psychobabble and ignore the post!

I vote for option 2. After all,

Quote from: Papa Legba
Total silence from Poppy in the face of even the slightest opposition = An action typical of cowards & bullies btw.

Strudels!
I made up some completely random sh!te on the Flat Earth Society forum and now I feel completely and utterly EPIC!!!

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #478 on: December 10, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »
Papa's First Law states that a sock will remain astroturfing or in uniform shilling in a shitpost unless acted upon by an external troll.

I'm anti-judaism.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #479 on: December 10, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »
<Mad tl;dr science & citation-free disinfo-rant snipped>

No idea wtf you are blatheringing about; it has nothing to do with a single thing I said.

You seem to believe that the laws of thermodynamics are a thing called 'Poppa-Fhyics' though, so it's pretty clear you are mental.

<shit joke snipped>

Meh...

When you've got some actual science to contribute get back to me.