Differences in drain rotation sense

• 22 Replies
Differences in drain rotation sense
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:07:25 AM »
Living in a single face of a disk, the water would always drain taking the same rotation, either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

How do you explain documented proof of water draining differently on one side of the equator and the other?

Example:

Re: Differences in drain rotation sense
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:54:08 AM »
Living in a single face of a disk, the water would always drain taking the same rotation, either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

How do you explain documented proof of water draining differently on one side of the equator and the other?

Example:

That video demonstrates that if you pour water into a sink the right way before immediately pulling the plug out, you can make it go down the plughole in the direction you want.

The coriolis effect is very real but I'm pretty sure it's not detectable on that sort of scale using equipment like that.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:04:55 AM »

That video demonstrates that if you pour water into a sink the right way before immediately pulling the plug out, you can make it go down the plughole in the direction you want.

The coriolis effect is very real but I'm pretty sure it's not detectable on that sort of scale using equipment like that.

Ok, what about hurricanes?

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:12:41 AM »

Much better.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »

Much better.

grandmaster, what explanation is there for this event?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »

Are those hurricanes at  your north or south pole as we are told the north and south poles are?

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »

Are those hurricanes at  your north or south pole as we are told the north and south poles are?

1 North, 2 South

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
A FEer would say that the Sun is the cause of this effect and also the higher air stream, as the Sun is much closer to the surface and works as you would stir with a spoon or something. Could make sense, too bad that FE does not explain other events and effects that round earth does.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »

Have some common sense! Who is claiming "hurricanes" and "cyclones" at the poles.

Have a look at where tropical storms are distributed.

Tropical storms build up around deep low pressure regions (L's on the weather map) and rotate due to "something".
Strangely that "something" causes them to rotate counter-clockwise (hurricanes and typhoons) in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemishpere (cyclones).

They do say that "The exception proves the rule" and in fact, a very weak typhoon, started near India and wandered back and forth before fading out just south of the equator,
no Coriolis to keep it spinning I guess!

Map of the cumulative tracks of all tropical cyclones during the 1985–2005 time period.

So what does the all-knowing brain of Mr Totally Lacking think might cause this dividing line around the equator!
Might it really be the Coriolis effect, which is very weak near the equator, hence even when Lows form there, they rarely develop into Hurricanes or Cyclones!

A little telling that the band with virtually no tropical storms is centred on the equator

And there are no "tropical storms" anywhere near the poles!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »

Have some common sense! Who is claiming "hurricanes" and "cyclones" at the poles.

Have a look at where tropical storms are distributed.

Tropical storms build up around deep low pressure regions (L's on the weather map) and rotate due to "something".
Strangely that "something" causes them to rotate counter-clockwise (hurricanes and typhoons) in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemishpere (cyclones).

They do say that "The exception proves the rule" and in fact, a very weak typhoon, started near India and wandered back and forth before fading out just south of the equator,
no Coriolis to keep it spinning I guess!

Map of the cumulative tracks of all tropical cyclones during the 1985–2005 time period.

So what does the all-knowing brain of Mr Totally Lacking think might cause this dividing line around the equator!
Might it really be the Coriolis effect, which is very weak near the equator, hence even when Lows form there, they rarely develop into Hurricanes or Cyclones!

A little telling that the band with virtually no tropical storms is centred on the equator

And there are no "tropical storms" anywhere near the poles!

This thread is about drains.  Can you not read?   

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
This thread started with an argument about the coreolis effect and its effect on drains.

Do you want him to start a new thread about hurricanes? Or do you want to continue the discussion about the coreolis effect?

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
Anyhow, on topic: Coriollis Effect has no effect on sinks and drains, that video above is just a false demonstration of it. You can read about it on many scientific sites, "main stream", round earther ones, so no fancy flat earthing here, the main explanation is that water goes so fast down in a sink, that Coriollis Effect, which is created during the spinning of "one day" is too weak to react on this fast motion.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Anyhow, on topic: Coriollis Effect has no effect on sinks and drains, that video above is just a false demonstration of it. You can read about it on many scientific sites, "main stream", round earther ones, so no fancy flat earthing here, the main explanation is that water goes so fast down in a sink, that Coriollis Effect, which is created during the spinning of "one day" is too weak to react on this fast motion.

OK so what about hurricanes?

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
From a flat earth point of view, the Sun stir's the air as it moves close to the equator (remember, on a flat earth, the sun is pretty close to the ground). Look on that image posted above. There are no hurricanes near the equator. Imagine the sun moving (according to the image) right to left. Now, everything above (north) whirls clockwise, everything below (south) whirls anti-clockwise. You can do this experiment in your bath if you want. Fill it up and put some shower gel to make some foam (not too much). Now use your hand and stir your hand right to left in the middle. watch the whirls created.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
From a flat earth point of view, the Sun stir's the air as it moves close to the equator (remember, on a flat earth, the sun is pretty close to the ground). Look on that image posted above. There are no hurricanes near the equator. Imagine the sun moving (according to the image) right to left. Now, everything above (north) whirls clockwise, everything below (south) whirls anti-clockwise. You can do this experiment in your bath if you want. Fill it up and put some shower gel to make some foam (not too much). Now use your hand and stir your hand right to left in the middle. watch the whirls created.

I am afraid that explanation simply doesn't work.

The division line is the equator, not the path of the sun. Look at the distribution of hurricanes and cyclones again.

On the Flat Earth model in the Southern Hemisphere summer, the sun is supposedly circling above the Tropic of Capricorn and most of our (Australian) cyclones in summer occur north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Alexandra1973

• Christian geocentrist. Round or flat--not sure!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
For what it's worth, at the Cleveland Zoo they have a demonstration of the Coriolis effect.  They have two tubs sitting side-by-side, with a partition between them.  The Northern Hemisphere one has water draining one way, and the Southern Hemisphere, the other way.

Now if we're supposed to be in the Northern Hemisphere in Cleveland, how is it they can have it draining both ways?  That's one thought that came to my mind when I saw it.

I was also thinking, what direction would it go if you're directly ON the equator?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
For what it's worth, at the Cleveland Zoo they have a demonstration of the Coriolis effect.  They have two tubs sitting side-by-side, with a partition between them.  The Northern Hemisphere one has water draining one way, and the Southern Hemisphere, the other way.

Now if we're supposed to be in the Northern Hemisphere in Cleveland, how is it they can have it draining both ways?  That's one thought that came to my mind when I saw it.

I was also thinking, what direction would it go if you're directly ON the equator?

They can have it draining both ways because of the way the tubs are shaped, or the way the drains are shaped, or because the direction of the water flowing into the tubs.

I read something awhile back, and now can't remember where, that some scientists did a real experiment on this topic. They had to have exactly matching equipment, and they allowed the water to sit in the containers for several months to become still. They say they did drain in opposite directions. If I can find the article I will post it.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »

It is proven and accepted that Coriolis does not react with fast moving waters like in sinks.

I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »

Example:

but we are not talking about pouring it in the right way just before pulling the plug.  we are talking about standing water - that is still.  pull the plug on that and it goers in opposite directions from each hemosphere

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »
how do you know that they put the sink on a water level surface all three time? if the container itself is tilted, the rotation of the flow will follow the tilt.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 03:06:41 AM »

Example:

but we are not talking about pouring it in the right way just before pulling the plug.  we are talking about standing water - that is still.  pull the plug on that and it goers in opposite directions from each hemosphere

I suspect you may have missed my point. In the video (did you watch it?) the woman induces rotation in the water by pouring it in from the side. She then pulls the plug out immediately and the water drains in the direction she wanted it to. It's a con.

In my view it wouldn't be possible to detect the coriolis effect reliably using that equipment anywhere, and certainly not close to the equator.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »
Maybe you will not take our word for it, but maybe you will believe Penn State University that it is impossible for a Coriolis effect to affect the rotation of a drain.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html