Scepti - scales and pressure

• 5 Replies
Scepti - scales and pressure
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »
Scepti, can you explain why a scale would not show a weight change at different air pressure levels?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Scepti - scales and pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
Scepti, can you explain why a scale would not show a weight change at different air pressure levels?

I put this in another post. It might be a little exaggerated, but . . . . . . . . .

But of course you must use Sceptimatic's approved scales, supplied (at great expense) only by "Sceppy, Inc, Cayman Islands"[1]

might explain it.

[1] All payments by direct deposit into numbered bank account.
[/quote]

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:04:26 PM »

In a previous life I used to do a bit of lab work, and we routinely did atmospheric buoyancy corrections when doing high precision weighing.   
Weight does vary with atmospheric pressure but only by a tiny amount due to buoyancy changes caused by airpressure and humidity variations.

We didn't have the uber-expensive sceptimatic precision laboratory scales,  we had to make do with Mettler.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »
In my lab I have scales with glass box. Not sure if it's sealed though... Most probably this box is there to eliminate air flows and not atmospheric pressure:
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
In my lab I have scales with glass box. Not sure if it's sealed though... Most probably this box is there to eliminate air flows and not atmospheric pressure:

Well, if that's a chem lab, it might be to contain volatile substances. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

neutrino

• FET is a religion. You can't fight faith.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
Anyway we went an offtopic here.
Scepti, please answer OP question.
FET is religion. No evidence will convince a FE-er. It would be easier to convince Muslims they are wrong.