Flat Earth Clock

• 22 Replies
Flat Earth Clock
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
Greetings Flat Earth Society,

I've been inspired by your amazing works and have created an app on the google play store that is a working world clock, a flat earth map surrounded by a moving ring that keeps track of the time of day in all the time-zones. It only works because it's the truth :)

Check out The Flat Earth Clock here;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpg.flat_earth_clock.android

Thanks for your time.

Re: Flat Earth Clock
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
How is this different than a normal time of day clock?  All it is is a unwrapped sphere from the northern pole with the time time zones. 

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
It's different because the numbers on the ring spin, the map stays stationary.

Normal clocks have hands that point to a number to tell you the time (locally)

My clock shows all the times everywhere all at once.

The ring on the outside of the map spins. You look at the Flat Earth, see where you are (or where you want the know the current time) then follow the latitude line out to see the hour.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
Here I took a screenshot just now to help explain.

I'm on EST. It's going on 2:30 here, and from the picture any one can clearly see the time everywhere else on the globe.

It's better than at airports where they put up 30 clocks and you have to find the one named by what city you fly to.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
Here I took a screenshot just now to help explain.

I'm on EST. It's going on 2:30 here, and from the picture any one can clearly see the time everywhere else on the globe.

It's better than at airports where they put up 30 clocks and you have to find the one named by what city you fly to.
International date line is not straight.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »
Your idea is unoriginal and proves nothing about the shape of the earth.  It's already been done better in xkcd by Randall Munroe. 

Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

?

Woody

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
The time difference between London and New York seems to be off by an hour.

London is 5 hours a head of New York, your clock indicates it is 6 hours ahead. If I am reading it correctly the image posted indicates while it is around 8pm in London it is around 2pm in New York.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:46:08 AM »
Your idea is unoriginal and proves nothing about the shape of the earth.  It's already been done better in xkcd by Randall Munroe. 
That is only a picture. Mine is a working clock. Also he has south pole center so it's very ugly to look at and very unbelievable as a model for flat earth.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »

London is 5 hours a head of New York, your clock indicates it is 6 hours ahead. If I am reading it correctly the image posted indicates while it is around 8pm in London it is around 2pm in New York.

I think you're looking at Sweden, the UK is centered and points straight down to 7:24.

That said, there are a few places that don't line up well, further from center it gets more distorted. Northern locations are pretty accurate though.

?

Woody

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »

I think you're looking at Sweden, the UK is centered and points straight down to 7:24.

That said, there are a few places that don't line up well, further from center it gets more distorted. Northern locations are pretty accurate though.

Yep. You are right. I misidentified what I was looking at.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
That is only a picture. Mine is a working clock. Also he has south pole center so it's very ugly to look at and very unbelievable as a model for flat earth.

No, the one I posted updates live and is correct to the nearest 15 minute increment.  Randall, the creator, knows that the earth is round, and he chose a projection that puts the places in the northern hemisphere closer to the information around the outside, while not turning Antarctica into a ring. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
International date line is not straight.

True, also most time-zones aren't straight either. The Clock is more generalized in App form, I want to make a real clock like this and would be able to put more details into it.

For now I will try to improve the maps and update the app as things like this become apparent.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »
No, the one I posted updates live and is correct to the nearest 15 minute increment.  Randall, the creator, knows that the earth is round, and he chose a projection that puts the places in the northern hemisphere closer to the information around the outside, while not turning Antarctica into a ring.

Ahh I googled it, I'll share his link with you all.
https://xkcd.com/1335/

I think mine is way better, I couldn't really tell the time everywhere on his clock, it's inside out in my humble opinion.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 12:04:03 PM »

Ahh I googled it, I'll share his link with you all.
https://xkcd.com/1335/

I think mine is way better, I couldn't really tell the time everywhere on his clock, it's inside out in my humble opinion.

Since the earth is round, it's just as valid to draw it the way he does, if not more. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

It doesn't seem to take daylight saving time into account.  Or fractional time zones.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
Since the earth is round, it's just as valid to draw it the way he does, if not more.

I mean aesthetically. His way looks clumsy and the land masses are all lumped together and upside down. He even had to label it all because he probably couldn't recognize places on his inside out map either :^)

Since the earth is round
I didn't come here to argue with a self proclaimed "Defender of NASA"

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
It doesn't seem to take daylight saving time into account.  Or fractional time zones.

No it doesn't. I was thinking of a user offset that could be set manually to account for DST. Right now it just uses UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) and draws according to that. Android code doesn't give me access to if a person is using DST or not.

excellent Flat Earth Clock
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »
It only works because it's the truth :)
Keep up the great work! 

Here is my dream request for future updates: 
Add a rotating sun and moon projection. 

Re: excellent Flat Earth Clock
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »
Keep up the great work! 

I like this, expect an update soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »

I mean aesthetically. His way looks clumsy and the land masses are all lumped together and upside down. He even had to label it all because he probably couldn't recognize places on his inside out map either :^)

Since the earth is round
I didn't come here to argue with a self proclaimed "Defender of NASA"

Aesthetically, it's still better.  The map is not inverted, he just chose to go with a south pole azimuthal projection.  It means that landmasses are "right way up" during the day.  The labels are not for his own reference either. 

My point is that the earth doesn't have to be flat to make a map/clock, as you would suggest. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 07:56:41 AM »
Keep up the great work! 

Update is complete, added the optional Sun and Moon overlay with a new map to choose from also.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Keep up the great work! 

Update is complete, added the optional Sun and Moon overlay with a new map to choose from also.

But how is this clock the slightest evidence that the earth is flat?

Maybe next you could design a "flat earth sun-dial" that will work at ALL latitudes, then test it out!

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »
But how is this clock the slightest evidence that the earth is flat?

Maybe next you could design a "flat earth sun-dial" that will work at ALL latitudes, then test it out!

Apps and other internet pictures are not evidence of the shape of the Earth.

One should only trust ones observations.