Is the moon flat or spherical?

• 139 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Is the moon flat or spherical?
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:29:36 AM »
This got buried in the questions thread, and I never got a satisfactory answer.

When I look at the moon from Australia,  I see it as upside down to the moon I see when I'm in the northern hemisphere.   It's trivial to understand why this is so on a globe.   But no so trivial on a flat earth.

Let's see if we can explain why the flat earth model fails,  and incidentally,  I will  also show how it could succeed.

Imagine the flat earth model,  the moon orbits roughly over the equator,  which is a circle on the flat earth.   For the sake of orientation,  I am going to paint a big red dot on the bottom half of the moon,  by bottom,  i mean the part of the moon that is closest to the horizon as I see it.

Now looking at the moon from Australia,  I see the big red dot at the bottom of the moon,   so now I go to England,  and look at the moon,  lo and behold  if the earth is flat, the big red dot is still at the bottom of the moon.  So the moon is the same way up when seen from either hemisphere.  The flat earth model fails to explain why, in reality i see the moon upside down.

Now, let's throw the flat earthers a lifeline to cling to.    Imagine the same scenario,  as before but this time the moon is a flat disk  oriented  horizontal to the earth,  I place a red dot on the part that looks to me like it's the bottom of the moon,   now when I go to England, lo and behold the image has flipped and the red dot now appears on top.  Finally we have a workable explanation.

So,  in conclusion,  in order for the earth to be flat,  the moon must be flat as well,  if the moon is a sphere then so is the earth.   QED.   
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

carex

• Truth hurts
Re: Is the moon flat or spherical?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:07:38 AM »
Flat earth But Wobbling ;)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »
The moon is as flat as a hologram can look 3d.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »
The moon is as flat as a hologram can look 3d.

Observation suggests otherwise. 

Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:47:21 AM »
So,  in conclusion,  in order for the earth to be flat,  the moon must be flat as well
If the Moon were flat, it would have circular shape directly underneath. From any other angle it would distort to an ellipse.
Q.E.D.

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

The moon is flat.  Period.  Have YOU ever seen the 'other side of it'?  No.  Because it's FLAT.  has ANYONE seen the 'other side' of the moon.  Nope, because it's flat.  Don't give me that NASA fake 'dark side of the moon' picture from the 1960's - Fake.  I aint seen the other side, nobody has.. the ONLY 'people' that have seen it is 'NASA'... 50 years ago...

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »

The moon is flat.  Period.  Have YOU ever seen the 'other side of it'?  No.  Because it's FLAT.  has ANYONE seen the 'other side' of the moon.  Nope, because it's flat.  Don't give me that NASA fake 'dark side of the moon' picture from the 1960's - Fake.  I aint seen the other side, nobody has.. the ONLY 'people' that have seen it is 'NASA'... 50 years ago...

Nope, just because you assert something doesn't make it true.  We can see about 59% of the Moon's surface from the earth due to the moon's libration.  The fact that the moon librates in the way that it does is extremely strong evidence that the moon is round and that it orbits the earth.  And let's not forget all the imagery of the back of the moon before or since the moon landings, taken by probes. 

NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
has ANYONE seen the 'other side' of the moon[?] 

Yes.

I aint seen the other side

There are probably many things you ain't seen directly or even seen pictures of. That means nothing.

nobody has.. the ONLY 'people' that have seen it is 'NASA'...

The Russians saw it before NASA did. By now several countries have spacecraft that photograph the far side of the Moon regularly.

50 years ago...

"Truth has no expiration date." [nb]A favorite saying by flat-earth proponents here.[/nb] And even that "50 years" is wrong. There is new data still coming down.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »

Yes.

There are probably many things you ain't seen directly or even seen pictures of. That means nothing.

The Russians saw it before NASA did. By now several countries have spacecraft that photograph the far side of the Moon regularly.

50 years ago...

"Truth has no expiration date." [nb]A favorite saying by flat-earth proponents here.[/nb] And even that "50 years" is wrong. There is new data still coming down.
You sure know your stuff.  :P

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »

Nope, just because you assert something doesn't make it true.  We can see about 59% of the Moon's surface from the earth due to the moon's libration.  The fact that the moon librates in the way that it does is extremely strong evidence that the moon is round and that it orbits the earth.  And let's not forget all the imagery of the back of the moon before or since the moon landings, taken by probes. 

Not happening.  Sorry.  That is NOT a real picture.  Its -- again FROM NASA!

You know this.  Look up in the sky and tell me when YOU see that image you posted.

Answer:  Never

Fact:  YOU (yes YOU, not me, but YOU) have NEVER SEEN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON.  You will DIE having NEVER seen it.  I can guarantee that.  So any claim of the moon being ROUND comes from NASA, your IMAGINATION, or BOTH.

Science=OBSERVABLE  and again, don't go pulling the "NASA CARD" BILLIONS of REAL PEOPLE's OBSERVATIONS versus "NASA" is simply not happenin'.

Again when YOU see it, it's true.  Otherwise, science is science.  You are more than welcome to post up YOUR photos OR photos of REAL PEOPLE of the 'other side of the moon'... but... you simply cannot.

..but you BELIEVE you can...

-- hives

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

Yes.

50 years ago...

Sorry but that logic doesn't work:

Talk to me like I'm in 1st grade:

"Have YOU seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has your mommy or daddy seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has any of your gransparents or great great grandparents seen the other side of the moon?"

"Has ANYONE in your neighborhood seen the otherside of the moon?"
"Has ANYONE in your ENTIRE COUNTRY seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has ANYONE in your CONTINENT seen the other side of the moon?"

Answer:  "NO."

So who has seen the 'other side of the moon?'

Answer: NASA!

Conclusion: ???????

Since when did NASA become "GOD" and take the place of BILLIONS of actual verifiable HUMAN VERIFICATION that the other side of the moon has NEVER been seen?

Answer: when people stopped thinking for themselves...

-- hives

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »

You know this.  Look up in the sky and tell me when YOU see that image you posted.

Fact:  YOU (yes YOU, not me, but YOU) have NEVER SEEN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON.  You will DIE having NEVER seen it.  I can guarantee that.  So any claim of the moon being ROUND comes from NASA, your IMAGINATION, or BOTH.

Science=OBSERVABLE  and again, don't go pulling the "NASA CARD" BILLIONS of REAL PEOPLE's OBSERVATIONS versus "NASA" is simply not happenin'.

Again when YOU see it, it's true.  Otherwise, science is science.  You are more than welcome to post up YOUR photos OR photos of REAL PEOPLE of the 'other side of the moon'... but... you simply cannot.

-- hives

I'm not totally sure if you're serious or not but I thought I'd just point out that you don't need to take Nasa's word for it. Telescopes powerful enough to observe the spherical nature of the moon are pretty cheap these days.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »

-- hives

Again:

And for good measure:

All of them real images taken by real people. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

-- hives

I'm not totally sure if you're serious or not but I thought I'd just point out that you don't need to take Nasa's word for it. Telescopes powerful enough to observe the spherical nature of the moon are pretty cheap these days.

Again, TALK TO ME LIKE I'm IN 1st grade...

HOW do I get to see a view, or picture like this OTHER than by NASA:

HOW DO I GET TO SEE THIS other than through 'NASA's eyes'?

Answer that?

When I, you (yes YOU) look at the moon we both see this:

RIGHT?

OK -- so TELL ME HOW WE (ie YOU AND ME) can get to see this:

WILL you, me, or ANYONE you know or will eve know, EVER get to see ^ this other than via a NASA website?

Again since when did BILLIONS of peoples eyes take second fiddle to a few NASA images from 6 decades ago?

When people stopped thinking?

-- hives

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:35:31 PM by djhives »

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »

-- hives

OK!  now where getting somwhere!

You posted pics of the moon - BUT WHERE IS THE OTHER SIDE OF IT?!

I see the same moon I, you, and everyone else see in the sky undulating a bit, BUT WHERE IS THE OTHER SIDE?

WHERE IS THE OTHER SIDE?

WHERE IS IT?

Your photos do NOT show the other side.

So HOW can it be ROUND?

Answer:  You want it to be round?  You've been TOLD that it is round?  You have seen a goofy fake image from NASA from the 1960's labeled 'the other side of the moon', or "ALL OF THE ABOVE"?

What about YOU?  If YOU cannot show me the 'other side of the moon' then HOW can you say that it is round?  Where is your proof?  I point to the sky and there is a 'flat' moon, same as it was since the earliest humans drew it on cave walls... that's my PROOF.

You say it's round?  Ok:  SHOW ME!

Of course.

you can't.

Sure you can argue that 'just because you can't see it doesnt mean it doesnt exist'...  but you could say that about anything.  My car flies.  You can't see the jet engines... they are under the hood... no you cannot open it...

Wouldnt you call b*llsh*t on me?

Same with 'your' 'round moon'...

What NATURE shows me IS REALITY.

-- hives

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »

-- hives

Answer that?

RIGHT?

WILL you, me, or ANYONE you know or will eve know, EVER get to see ^ this other than via a NASA website?

Again since when did BILLIONS of peoples eyes take second fiddle to a few NASA images from 6 decades ago?

-- hives

I apologize if I seemed condescending. That certainly wasn't my intention. I was just suggesting the most direct possible way to tell if the moon is flat or a sphere. Nasa is besides the point. You don't need nasa level equipment to get a good close up. Your local walmart has that kind of equipment these days.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »

Logic doesn't work with you. And you brag about it?

That seems appropriate, but I don't do videos and since, like most first-graders, you're immune to logic, then no, thanks.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
If you look at an object from one direction, it faces one way. If you look at an object from another direction, it faces the other. Whether the moon is flat or round wouldn't make any difference to your thought experiment, because in the round case all we would see is what may as well be a flat circle. The two observed surfaces would be identical.

The moon is spherical, by the way.
Statement of Belief:
I believe the Earth is flat. I believe we are being lied to. I believe the science we are told concerning light is false. I believe light and heat only exist with the caloric field. I believe there is more to the Earth than we are told.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 04:47:54 PM »

"Have YOU seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has your mommy or daddy seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has any of your gransparents or great great grandparents seen the other side of the moon?"

"Has ANYONE in your neighborhood seen the otherside of the moon?"
"Has ANYONE in your ENTIRE COUNTRY seen the other side of the moon?"
"Has ANYONE in your CONTINENT seen the other side of the moon?"

So who has seen the 'other side of the moon?'

Answer: NASA!

Since when did NASA become "GOD" and take the place of BILLIONS of actual verifiable HUMAN VERIFICATION that the other side of the moon has NEVER been seen?

Answer: when people stopped thinking for themselves...

-- hives
I am afraid your powers of logical deduction are quite non-existent.
One could come up with numerous objects that all those people have not seen, yet nevertheless exist.

"Have YOU seen the inside of this room?"
"Has your mommy or daddy seen the inside of this room?"
"Has any of your grandparents or great great grandparents seen the inside of this room?"
"Has ANYONE in your neighborhood seen the inside of this room?"
"Has ANYONE in your ENTIRE COUNTRY seen the inside of this room?"
"Has ANYONE in your CONTINENT seen the inside of this room?"

So who has seen the 'inside of this room?'

Answer: I HAVE!

Ridiculous and no proof at all.

But ain't it wonderful being a flat earther! Any contrary evidence can automatically be deemed fake, anyone giving contrary evidence a liar!
It sure makes debating easy, anyone that disagrees is wrong!

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »
If you look at an object from one direction, it faces one way. If you look at an object from another direction, it faces the other. Whether the moon is flat or round wouldn't make any difference to your thought experiment, because in the round case all we would see is what may as well be a flat circle. The two observed surfaces would be identical.

The moon is spherical, by the way.

You are correct,  except for one small overlooked detail,  if you move your point of view from left to right you get a left to right reversal,   the actual view of the moon changes from up to down, not left to right,  the only way this can happen is if the moon is spherical and the earth is as well.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 05:09:46 PM »

Sure you can argue that 'just because you can't see it doesnt mean it doesnt exist'...  but you could say that about anything.  My car flies.  You can't see the jet engines... they are under the hood... no you cannot open it...

-- hives

That argument has been done to death a thousand times over,  and it's wrong.   See the thread on "Does Australia Exist?"  which exposes the fallacy.  There are in fact things that exist that you have never seen, and likely will never see.  The other side of the moon is just one of many.

Incidentally why pick on NASA,  why not attack the university researchers and science departments who do the actual research,  don't stop there,  how about going after all those astronomers and then you can tackle the dozens of other space agencies from around the world.    Are they all part of your imagined conspiracy?   

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
Since everyone else is posting their favourite moon pictures,  here's mine,   taken from the GRAIL satellites gravitational survey

http://www.gizmag.com/grail-gravity-map-moon/25318/pictures

The different colours represent variations in the gravitational field.

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 05:46:56 PM »

-- hives

That argument has been done to death a thousand times over,  and it's wrong.   See the thread on "Does Australia Exist?"  which exposes the fallacy.  There are in fact things that exist that you have never seen, and likely will never see.  The other side of the moon is just one of many.

Incidentally why pick on NASA,  why not attack the university researchers and science departments who do the actual research,  don't stop there,  how about going after all those astronomers and then you can tackle the dozens of other space agencies from around the world.    Are they all part of your imagined conspiracy?

You are not understanding the logic.  This is NOT a matter of 'do things exist that we do not observe'.  This is matter of 'I *SEE* an apple in the sky and you *CLAIM that it is an orange'...

I say it looks like an apple.  While you THEORIZE, HOPE, GUESS, and IMAGINE that you see an orange.

Nobody SAW Australia at one point.  But I SEE the moon.  It DOES EXIST - *EXACTLY HOW WE SEE IT!  Get it?  Good!  I'm not talking about seeing things that don't exist.  It's right there!  In the sky.  A flat disc that is the moon.  Again the billion dollar challenge:  SHOW ME THE BACKSIDE OF THE MOON.

You can't.

noone can.

...except for... oops.. NASA! ding ding!

for the other whatever-billion inhabitants of the Earth... we'll they don't get to see it.. only NASA can..

Now as far as NASA goes..NASA is obviously a conspiracy.  If you cannot see past the fake Gumby-esque stop motion 'moon landings and space walks' and the modern CGI 'imagery' of Earth, then, really, how far will we get here....

Flat Earth theory is 100% dependent on NASA being fake because NASA OBVIOUSLY is fake so far as their 'conclusions' go.  If you can't get past the NASA fakery, then the trip stops here, and you go back to you your 9-5, paying taxes, and watching TV, and as Morpheus would say 'believing whatever you want to believe'....

In otherwords if you think the NASA stuff is REAL, then flat earth theory will never work with your logic-systems, for you will always 'call upon' one or multiple 'NASA images' as the basis of your thesis...

-- hives

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »
But think. There are many things that most or all things that have never seen. The other side of the moon is just one of them, right?

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »

Now as far as NASA goes..NASA is obviously a conspiracy.  If you cannot see past the fake Gumby-esque stop motion 'moon landings and space walks' and the modern CGI 'imagery' of Earth, then, really, how far will we get here....

Flat Earth theory is 100% dependent on NASA being fake because NASA OBVIOUSLY is fake so far as their 'conclusions' go.  If you can't get past the NASA fakery, then the trip stops here, and you go back to you your 9-5, paying taxes, and watching TV, and as Morpheus would say 'believing whatever you want to believe'....

In otherwords if you think the NASA stuff is REAL, then flat earth theory will never work with your logic-systems, for you will always 'call upon' one or multiple 'NASA images' as the basis of your thesis...
-- hives

Ok,   I'll  listen,  show me the evidence of one thing that NASA has faked,   just  ONE.   

While we are on the topic,   how many countries apart from the USA have sent missions to the moon? 
How many pictures are there of the other side of the moon,  that NASA had nothing whatsoever to do with?

How many pictures would it take to convince you that there is another side to the moon?

Of course, if you get lost wandering around on the far side of the moon,  you can use google moon   or if you like 3D  http://moon3dmap.com/

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

-- hives

You are not understanding the logic.  This is NOT a matter of 'do things exist that we do not observe'.  This is matter of 'I *SEE* an apple in the sky and you *CLAIM that it is an orange'...

I say it looks like an apple.  While you THEORIZE, HOPE, GUESS, and IMAGINE that you see an orange.

Nobody SAW Australia at one point.  But I SEE the moon.  It DOES EXIST - *EXACTLY HOW WE SEE IT!  Get it?  Good!  I'm not talking about seeing things that don't exist.  It's right there!  In the sky.  A flat disc that is the moon.  Again the billion dollar challenge:  SHOW ME THE BACKSIDE OF THE MOON.

You can't.

noone can.

...except for... oops.. NASA! ding ding!

for the other whatever-billion inhabitants of the Earth... we'll they don't get to see it.. only NASA can..

-- hives

Aaaaaand this is said by a person who didn't have a map of his world, cant explain sunsets and have to deny the southerns stars, and nasa have to deny or cant explain exactly what ? :D

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:52 PM »
But think. There are many things that most or all things that have never seen. The other side of the moon is just one of them, right?

Flying spagetti-monster:  I never seen one, YOU never seen one.. so it JUST MIGHT exist!  HOWEVER, the MOON: I'm LOOKING AT IT RIGHT NOW... there it is.  I see it.  It's the moon.  I'm observing it.  It's flat.  Single-sided.  Thus until OBSERVED as round (for real, no NASA pre-schoolery please) then it SHALL BE a flat moon, the way YOU see it, the way I see it, the way your great, great, great, great grandmother saw it 2,000 years ago...

-- hives

djhives

• www.djhives.com
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »

-- hives

Ok,   I'll  listen,  show me the evidence of one thing that NASA has faked,   just  ONE.   

While we are on the topic,   how many countries apart from the USA have sent missions to the moon? 
How many pictures are there of the other side of the moon,  that NASA had nothing whatsoever to do with?

How many pictures would it take to convince you that there is another side to the moon?

Of course, if you get lost wandering around on the far side of the moon,  you can use google moon   or if you like 3D  http://moon3dmap.com/

Again... the NASA stuff is BEYOND obvious... so I hesitate in showing you 'proof of NASA fakery' since it's so OBVIOUS...

but here's a good one:

What needs to be said?  These are NASA images (according to NASA).  Thus the 'magically growing North America' on a 'round globe' serves as proof that BOTH images were faked.  I can't get into the 'is nasa faking stuff' debate, as it is OBVIOUS.  You will either see the TRUTH or see what you were told/programmed/imagine/want to believe.

Again OBSERVE with your OWN eyes/brain.

For your other questions:

ANY ONE picture NOT from NASA (or it's international clones) of the 'other side of the moon' will suffice as proof that the moon is round.

Since that cannot happen, the moon is flat... Look up in the sky, you see a FLAT object.  If it's round then SHOW ME THE BACK SIDE.

The end.

-- hives

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »

-- hives

Again... the NASA stuff is BEYOND obvious... so I hesitate in showing you 'proof of NASA fakery' since it's so OBVIOUS...

but here's a good one:

What needs to be said?  These are NASA images (according to NASA).  Thus the 'magically growing North America' on a 'round globe' serves as proof that BOTH images were faked.  I can't get into the 'is nasa faking stuff' debate, as it is OBVIOUS.  You will either see the TRUTH or see what you were told/programmed/imagine/want to believe.

Again OBSERVE with your OWN eyes/brain.

For your other questions:

ANY ONE picture NOT from NASA (or it's international clones) of the 'other side of the moon' will suffice as proof that the moon is round.

Since that cannot happen, the moon is flat... Look up in the sky, you see a FLAT object.  If it's round then SHOW ME THE BACK SIDE.

The end.

-- hives

The end ? And a good one ? Did you ever heard of perspective and how your viewing distance effect the appaearing features size on a ball ?  make your own experiment draw something an a ball and photograph it from various distancees.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »

-- hives

Answer that?

RIGHT?

-- hives

The part outlined in green is the extent we can view from earth.  The rest was taken by probes fairly recently, and not all of them US probes. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate