give me real evidence of the earth being flat

• 39 Replies
« on: July 26, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »
disclaimer: denial is not evidence so saying things like "have you ever been to the southern hemisphere?" and "have you ever seen the curvature of the earth?" are invalid as they rely on one person's anecdotal evidence and not actual fact. "how can you trust what nasa says?' is also invalid as i have no proven reason not to trust what nasa says, likening the pictures of earth to cg is invalid as well, pictures of the planet existed before cgi existed. Is there any real scientifically backed evidence for fe? any at all?

Re: give me real evidence of the earth being flat
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »
Look outside. It looks flat.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:42:32 PM »
this is not evidence. it looks flat until it meets a curved horizon, which wouldn't exist on a flat planet

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »
I was playing Devil's advocate. That is the best "evidence" they can come up with.

I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
this is not evidence. it looks flat until it meets a curved horizon, which wouldn't exist on a flat planet
First hand evidence is the most reliable sort of evidence. I question what constitutes "real evidence" to you.
I've never seen a curved horizon.  :-\  Have you?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • Mebs!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »

Also, I saw a thread about chemtrails (yes, I know, leave that alone for now though because the name is irrelevant to the argument) looking straight instead of curved, therefore flat earth.

So... BAM!

/thread

The problem with asking for scientifically-backed evidence is that the scientists are supposedly in on the gag. Of course, that's ignoring how the peer-review process works, as well as the fact that there is a heck of a lot of recognition for a scientist that can disprove a long-accepted theory. People still know names like Newton, Galileo, Einstein, and it's not because they stayed the course on run-of-the-mill theory and never challenged the status quo. There is a Nobel prize just waiting for someone to show for once and for all the denpressure is real and gravity isn't. Or that the Earth is actually flat. And the really neat thing about science is that, if the evidence is presented, peer-reviewed, and found to be consistent with reality, IT WILL BE ACCEPTED!!

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »

Also, I saw a thread about chemtrails (yes, I know, leave that alone for now though because the name is irrelevant to the argument) looking straight instead of curved, therefore flat earth.
The contrail observation is interesting,  but I'm not sure how you could measure the variables needed to determine what a globular world would predict for curvature. Inconclusive, but definitely conforms to expectations in our flat world.
And the really neat thing about science is that, if the evidence is presented, peer-reviewed, and found to be consistent with reality, IT WILL BE ACCEPTED!!
Frequently even if it is not!
http://tiny.cc/ro39cy
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:30 PM »

Why?

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • Mebs!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »

The contrail observation is interesting,  but I'm not sure how you could measure the variables needed to determine what a globular world would predict for curvature. Inconclusive, but definitely conforms to expectations in our flat world.
And the really neat thing about science is that, if the evidence is presented, peer-reviewed, and found to be consistent with reality, IT WILL BE ACCEPTED!!

One can ask the interwebz for anything and find it. It's a blessing and a curse.

Regarding the contrails, I don't think you can really make a determination of the shape of the Earth using them. Planes could fly straight, or not (in FE currently, I think pilots have to be in on it, no? Especially in the southern hemisphere? It's certainly a possibility, anyway, just like NASA being a conspiracy agency is) but I don't know that a plane flying straight over a FE would look different than a plane flying in a great circle on a RE for an observer on the surface. Perhaps I'm wrong and someone with a stronger background will correct me. I'm open to that possibility.

Regarding scientists jumping on the bandwagon... it all comes out in the wash eventually. One can wander the Earth though, and take measurements along the way, to see if RE maps work. They do. That's a big selling point. Since there is no FE map (and really, if we're being honest, there is no excuse for that in this day and age), measuring distances isn't a way to falsify the model - and that's a dangerous precedent to set. Everyone can measure distance as they travel. Everyone can wander the Earth. ANYONE can determine, based on distances, if RE maps correspond with distances they actually travel. I've driven across the US - east-west and north-south. I have to say, the mileage on my car matched perfectly what my paper map and Google Earth suggested. Others have done the same in other places, like Australia, and come up with similar results. If RE model works for a very comprehensive set of cases, and FE can't even come up with a map or a consensus on which model is the most likely candidate to match reality, it's hard to justify betting the farm on it. If the FE camp can't map the Earth in a way that corresponds with reality, given the technology available and ability to crowdsource data, that seems like a tacit admission that the hypothesis has failed.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »

You claim that "The contrail observation is interesting,  but I'm not sure how you could measure the variables needed to determine what a globular world would predict for curvature. Inconclusive, but definitely conforms to expectations in our flat world."

I really have to disagree!

This is a bit of one my post on that "chemtrails" thread:
Can somebody explain how the visual observation of chemtrails proves anything about the true form of the earth?
The visual field of the sky is larger than that of the horizon. This is why the sky appears to be a dome if the Earth was round. If the Earth was round we'd see this also in chemtrails as pilots keep a constant altitude.
And just how much of a curve would that be?
Even with an unobstructed horizon (at sea) and the aircraft at 30,000 feet, with a perfectly clear atmosphere the planes would hit the horizon at around 220 miles away. The is about the limit of visibility in clear air due to Rayleigh scattering alone, so I doubt we would really see your contrails that far away, but:
The earth curves only about 3 in that distance. This looks like this:

And that is over a full 220 mile visible distance!
 ::) Can you honestly say that with the likely distortion in the photograph you could tell that apart from a straight line?  ::)

Your original photo shows clear signs of being taken with a very wide angle lens (very curved horizon) and the horizon is very obstructed so the visible range would be much less.
Still, if it keeps you happy to use evidence like this.
The Globe is huge!

And dishonesty in science does seem to be often revealed (see  ;) Trouble at the lab  ;)), though I agree there is a huge difficulting replicating many findings and drug (including nicotine and alcohol as drugs) companies employing their own scientists and funding much research is a problem.

And how does this affect the shape of the earth and evidence thereto? I thought that was resolved long ago.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »
First hand evidence is the most reliable sort of evidence. I question what constitutes "real evidence" to you.

Have you ever been to sea or have you ever been on a shore or a beach ?
What did you see as far as the horizon was concerned ?
I have some other questions I would like to ask, but let's start from here.
Are you speaking of flat earth evidence or round earth evidence ?
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
Those aren't my photos, rabinoz. That wasn't my thread.  I didn't say they were necessarilly incompatible with globularism. I specifically said there were many variables (flight path, altitude,  etc) and it seemed unlikely you could know them with enough certainty to conclude the earth is not a globe. I did say they were compatible with our flat earth, and they are.

Rif.org

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »

I have been to the beach, and even to sea. The horizon is flat, not curved. 

MrDebunk

• Chaotic good
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »

Go about 60,000 ft up on a Concorde, if it ever flies again, or another jet that goes really high like that. People have reported the horizon being curved from that high up.
M R D E B U N K (the reboot)

Quote from: totallackofintelligence
You sound like shill.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »
Quote from: MrDebunk link=topic=67508.msg1803353#msg1803353
Go about 60,000 ft up on a Concorde, if it ever flies again, or another jet that goes really high like that. People have reported the horizon being curved from that high up.

I would love such an opportunity.  It seems unlikely, however. Assuming those people thought they saw a curved horizon, isn't it possible that they are simply seeing the curved edge of the solar terminator?

The same applies to high altitude photography from planes or balloons. In the rare shots not involving wide angle lenses and still appearing to show a curved edge, isn't it possible you are misinterpreting the perceivded curve due to your preconceived notions?

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »

I would love such an opportunity.  It seems unlikely, however. Assuming those people thought they saw a curved horizon, isn't it possible that they are simply seeing the curved edge of the solar terminator?

The same applies to high altitude photography from planes or balloons. In the rare shots not involving wide angle lenses and still appearing to show a curved edge, isn't it possible you are misinterpreting the perceivded curve due to your preconceived notions?
Measured distances prove a round earth.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar Of The Yin Universe
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 03:06:20 AM »
If it's not and you would fall down.
Everyone sees it in clear weather. The important thing is to be able to see in foggy day.

The destruction process of globalists has started legally

RPOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 05:41:45 AM »

Do you mean photographs like this?
Quote from: the Wiki
High Altitude Photographs

Most pictures of the earth taken by amateur balloonists at very high altitudes are not doctored. Flat Earth Theory holds that there is elliptical curvature from the edge of space, over 50 miles in altitude. Any photograph showing a curved elliptical horizon from very high altitudes poses no affront to FE.

Curvature results from the fact that at the edge of the atmosphere we are looking down at the illuminated circular area of the sun's light. The observer is looking down at a circle. A circle is always curved in two dimensions. When looking down at the circular area of the sun's light upon the earth we see elliptical curvature.

Why can't we see all of the continents of the earth from the edge of space?

Although the observer is looking downwards at the circle of the sun's spotlight, the distant continents of the earth are still tens of thousands of miles away horizontally from the observer, and thus beyond the resolution of the human eye and merged with the line of the horizon, squished into indiscernibility and faded with the thickness of the atmosphere.

This is why the view is limited to the immediate vicinity below the observer, and why the land fades into a blueish fog as it recedes. The far distant horizon, upon which all is squished into imperceptiveness, is only sending light from which the rays of the sun reach. The darkened areas around the curve is night.

We can confirm that we are looking down at the sun's circle of light upon the earth by noting that shots from amateur high altitude balloons show an elliptical horizon. If the earth were a globe, curving downwards in three dimensions, all curvature seen in photographs would appear as an arc of a circle. However, curvature does not appear as an arc of a circle. The Earth is elliptical in all amateur photographs. A striking indication of a Flat Earth.

I do wonder who is doing the misinterpreting? Wouldn't the "edge of the sun's light" be thousands of kilometres away?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »
That would really depend on where you were, wouldn't it. You're not a very good abstraft thinker. You'll have more difficulty than most accepting truth.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
That would really depend on where you were, wouldn't it. You're not a very good abstraft thinker. You'll have more difficulty than most accepting truth.

Quite possibly, having and engineering background, I'm maybe not a very good "abstraft thinker", but I do have a pretty good spelling and grammar checker - not that I always get it right then.

You want to know something? Once someone starts claiming "truth" or worse "the truth", my built in CD[1] gets triggered.

But, back to that picture.
  • Wherever the picture was taken from the "radius" of the sun's "spotlight" must be 3,000 miles or so.
  • Judging by those clouds that photo was not taken from a very high altitude.If we were close to that 3,000 radius edge I don't think there would be much curve to see.
I could easily be wrong, but I do think about that picture is that is taken from an aircraft and at not a high enough altitude to see much curve anyway.

More, I cannot say because there is no indication of any details.

[1] CD = Crap Detector. Triggered especially by all these screen names with "truth" or especially "TRUTH" in them.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
 ??? The earth's radius is four thousand miles... if you can't see a curve of three thousand miles diameter shape from that perspective,  how would you see the earth's curvature?  :-\

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 11:04:08 PM »
But ohoho, but ohoho, but ohoho, the nasa ohoho the nasa ohoho is saying ohoho ohoho the eart ohoho is ohoho ohoho a globe ohoho  :'(  :'(  :'(
Everyone sees it in clear weather. The important thing is to be able to see in foggy day.

RPOTD

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
But ohoho, but ohoho, but ohoho, the nasa ohoho the nasa ohoho is saying ohoho ohoho the eart ohoho is ohoho ohoho a globe ohoho  :'(  :'(  :'(
Yeah I didn't think you had any evidence.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »

Where is there any evidence the earth is not? Every evidence is being denied or refuted which prove flat or globe. sometimes pointless to argue . This topic is such a case.

RPOTD

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 11:22:18 PM »
1. Sailing in the SOithern Hemisphere while not encountering 4 times the area.
2. Seeing the same stars while look 180 degrees opposite.
3. The sun not shrinking to 1/4 it's size at sunrise and sunset.
4. 24 hour daylight at Antarctica.
5. The sun peaking in the green spectrum.

Plus more.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
??? The earth's radius is four thousand miles... if you can't see a curve of three thousand miles diameter shape from that perspective,  how would you see the earth's curvature?  :-\
I must admit I was hurrying a bit on that answer (unavoidable things like appointments etc) and meant to carry on and suggest that there may be no real "curvature" in that photo at all. After all that's FEers claim any photo showing curvature is due to so-called "fish-eye lenses" (usually just wide-angle), and often they are right. The earth is huge and seeing much of a curve below 70,000 ft is a bit dubious. After all, 70,000 ft is still only 0.3% of the earth's radius.
Personally, I don't go much for "curvature" arguments.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 06:57:23 AM »
Intikam did you like my list?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »

Why?

It would be interesting to see it if anyone could come up with it.

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »

There are many days when the weather is clear and calm and there are no atmospheric conditions to change normal viewing.
What did you see ? :
(1) A distinct line where the sea and sky meet ? This is the way it really is on the globe.
(2) You could not see a distinct line where sea and sky meet, but just a blur that fades away in the distance ? This is the way that flat earth says it would have to be if the earth was flat.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:37:45 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »

Where is there any evidence the earth is not? Every evidence is being denied or refuted which prove flat or globe. sometimes pointless to argue . This topic is such a case.

It's pointless simply because the earth is a globe.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:16:34 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus: