Swinging weight or Hanging weight - proves the earth rotates

• 331 Replies

Yendor

Re: Swinging weight or Hanging weight - proves the earth rotates
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2016, 07:01:08 AM »
I think you are trying to look at this as a car going around a race track and it is following an arc. But it is not the same thing. In this scenario the car is not going around the track, but the track is going around in circles and the car is just setting there. How can the car possibly be detecting an arc?

Well, no, I was describing something similar to what you have said - a car (me) sitting on a rotating track (the earth). The point is that the direction the car is facing will change when judged from an outside frame of reference.

I'd rather not get diverted with different examples so let's stick with me facing east. I'll go over it again and if you still don't get it please be specific about which parts you're not happy with.

I stand facing east.

From an outside frame of reference, the rotation of the earth carries me along an arc.

I am always facing east so I am always facing forward along the arc.

The arc that I am carried along turns to my left.

Since the arc turns to my left and I stay facing forward along the arc, it follows that the direction in which I am facing is turned to the left.

So so far we have that from an outside frame of reference, the rotation of the earth does two things to me - it carries me round along an arc, and it turns me to the left in terms of the direction I face.

(If I was just being carried along the arc without also being turned I would no longer be facing forward along the arc and I would no longer be facing east).

So we've established that I am being turned in terms of the direction I am facing when viewed from an outside reference frame.

If I were to carry a swinging pendulum, the pendulum would not be turned because it maintains its own direction.

So I would turn but the pendulum wouldn't. We would turn relative to each other. The pendulum would be able to detect my rotation.

I've done this as step-wise as I can so that you can say which steps you're happy with and which steps you're not.

You've got a tough shell to crack.

You go on about an arc and turning left. I believe it is because you are thinking about a view of the earth like this.
It fools you into believing that you are going around in arc. I even fell for it. The strange thing is, even though you believe the pendulum doesn't work at the equator, it still shows the equator with a big arc.

This GIF depicts what is real. Picture your pendulum at one spot on the globe and you can see that you are not traveling abound an arc and constantly turning left, you are going straight as an arrow. Sure, if someone was on the moon watching you from an angle go around it would look like you were following an arc, but you are not, you are just going straight. That is how planes fly around the earth. To fly from San Francisco to NYC, the pilot is not constantly turning left, he flying straight. If you tilt this glob a little so you could see more of the north pole, it would look like arcs as well. It is all very deceiving. This is how I look at it.

Hope this helps you understand.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »
You go on about an arc and turning left. I believe it is because you are thinking about a view of the earth like this.
It fools you into believing that you are going around in arc. I even fell for it. The strange thing is, even though you believe the pendulum doesn't work at the equator, it still shows the equator with a big arc.

The arc at the equator doesn't turn left (or right) for someone facing along it. It goes straight ahead and round the earth. That's why the pendulum doesn't turn at the equator.

This GIF depicts what is real. Picture your pendulum at one spot on the globe and you can see that you are not traveling abound an arc and constantly turning left, you are going straight as an arrow. Sure, if someone was on the moon watching you from an angle go around it would look like you were following an arc...

The movement and rotation of objects on the earth relative to an outside reference frame is key to the understanding of how a Foucault pendulum works.

...but you are not, you are just going straight. That is how planes fly around the earth. To fly from San Francisco to NYC, the pilot is not constantly turning left, he flying straight. If you tilt this glob a little so you could see more of the north pole, it would look like arcs as well. It is all very deceiving. This is how I look at it.

The shortest path for a plane is along a great circle. These paths are straight in that they do not turn for someone (or a plane) facing along them.

But the path traced out due to the earth's rotation by someone standing on the earth is not a great circle, it is a circle of latitude. These do turn for someone facing along them. Anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere, clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

The exception to this is of course the equator, which is the only circle of latitude that is also a great circle.

(If you genuinely think that a point on the earth traces out a great circle rather than a circle of latitude as the earth turns, then you need to do some experiments at home with a turning ball, or perhaps a globe.)

It helps me to understand that you are not going to get this. I won't try anymore. I suggest you build that pendulum though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:19:50 PM by Copper Knickers »

Yendor

« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »

The arc at the equator doesn't turn left (or right) for someone facing along it. It goes straight ahead and round the earth. That's why the pendulum doesn't turn at the equator.

This GIF depicts what is real. Picture your pendulum at one spot on the globe and you can see that you are not traveling abound an arc and constantly turning left, you are going straight as an arrow. Sure, if someone was on the moon watching you from an angle go around it would look like you were following an arc...

The movement and rotation of objects on the earth relative to an outside reference frame is key to the understanding of how a Foucault pendulum works.

...but you are not, you are just going straight. That is how planes fly around the earth. To fly from San Francisco to NYC, the pilot is not constantly turning left, he flying straight. If you tilt this glob a little so you could see more of the north pole, it would look like arcs as well. It is all very deceiving. This is how I look at it.

The shortest path for a plane is a great circle. These paths are straight in that they do not turn for someone (or a plane) facing along them.

But the path traced out due to the earth's rotation by someone standing on the earth is not a great circle, it is a circle of latitude. These do turn for someone facing along them. To the left in the northern hemisphere, to the right in the southern hemisphere.

The exception to this is of course the equator, which is the only circle of latitude that is also a great circle.

(If you genuinely think that a point on the earth traces out a great circle rather than a circle of latitude as the earth turns, then you need to do some experiments at home with a turning ball, or perhaps a globe.)

It helps me to understand that you are not going to get this. I won't try anymore. I suggest you build that pendulum though.

Not for the lack of trying, I certainly have give it my best to show you what you think is real is a really a myth.

I was hoping you would get it when I explained the suns movement to you. How you see the sun rise from the east and sets in the west. I doesn't make an arc as it goes across the sky, it makes a straight path. I've watched the sun many times do that, apparently you haven't. If there was an arc, you would see it in the suns movement across the sky. That alone should tell you there is no arc. I suggest you watch the sun one day and then maybe you will understand what I've been telling you is the truth.

If you don't want to discuss it any longer, that's fine. I feel I've done my best to help you understand.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
Stop lying.

I had an apartment that had north and south windows. At and sunset light would come through the north window. At noon it would come in the south window.

I'm still waiting for a published paper against the Foucault's Pendulum.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Yendor

« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
Stop lying.

I had an apartment that had north and south windows. At and sunset light would come through the north window. At noon it would come in the south window.

I always thought you were from another planet, that explains a lot.

I've learned my lesson about posting papers from other people. They may agree with me on one issues and then someone finds something else they wrote that makes me look bad. Besides, you would only cut them down and say something negative about them.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
This GIF depicts what is real. Picture your pendulum at one spot on the globe and you can see that you are not traveling abound an arc and constantly turning left, you are going straight as an arrow. Sure, if someone was on the moon watching you from an angle go around it would look like you were following an arc, but you are not, you are just going straight. That is how planes fly around the earth. To fly from San Francisco to NYC, the pilot is not constantly turning left, he flying straight. If you tilt this glob a little so you could see more of the north pole, it would look like arcs as well. It is all very deceiving. This is how I look at it.

Wrong again.  If someone is 10 feet from the N. pole, and they follow a path directly east (keeping the north pole to their left, do they make a continuous left turn?

Here is what you said earlier though...

On a globe, we can agree that one can follow the equator without turning left or right, correct?

Now pick any latitude between the equator and one of the poles on a globe.  Let's say 30 degrees N.  In order to follow that latitude east and stay at that same latitude, a person would have to constantly turn left slightly.  Do you agree?

I agree with that, but you are still traveling eastward and the floor of the structure that hold the pendulum would be traveling eastward or being dragged along with the earth going eastward, not in circles. The only place it can work the way it is shown is at the poles.
So you agreed with the continuous left turn, but now you don't. 

Also, according to that statement, if a continuous steady turn is made, how would that not result in a complete circle?

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
Stop lying.

I've learned my lesson about posting papers from other people. They may agree with me on one issues and then someone finds something else they wrote that makes me look bad. Besides, you would only cut them down and say something negative about them.

Sorry Rodney, If you aren't trolling,   then I'm not sure I understand how could anyone can help you?   

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Yendor

« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »
Stop lying.

Sorry Rodney, If you aren't trolling,   then I'm not sure I understand how could anyone can help you?

It's not me getting the help, I'm trying to help you guys understand what is happening.
                              George Orwell

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
Stop lying.

It's not me getting the help, I'm trying to help you guys understand what is happening.

We know exactly what's happening; we're trying to explain to you how and why it works the way it does. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Yendor

« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »

Wrong again.  If someone is 10 feet from the N. pole, and they follow a path directly east (keeping the north pole to their left, do they make a continuous left turn?

On a globe, we can agree that one can follow the equator without turning left or right, correct?

Now pick any latitude between the equator and one of the poles on a globe.  Let's say 30 degrees N.  In order to follow that latitude east and stay at that same latitude, a person would have to constantly turn left slightly.  Do you agree?

I agree with that, but you are still traveling eastward and the floor of the structure that hold the pendulum would be traveling eastward or being dragged along with the earth going eastward, not in circles. The only place it can work the way it is shown is at the poles.

Also, according to that statement, if a continuous steady turn is made, how would that not result in a complete circle?

Hey buddy,
Yes, I was wrong. I thought, like the rest of you, that you need to turn left as you track a lateral path around the ball earth. To make sure I was right, I used a beach ball and drew an equator and a latitude line on it. Low and behold, I discovered there is no left turning arc as you follow a latitude line around the ball. Don't believe me, you should try it yourself.

George Orwell

Yendor

« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »
Stop lying.

We know exactly what's happening; we're trying to explain to you how and why it works the way it does.

If so, show me, don't tell me.
                              George Orwell

« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »

Hey buddy,
Yes, I was wrong. I thought, like the rest of you, that you need to turn left as you track a lateral path around the ball earth. To make sure I was right, I used a beach ball and drew an equator and a latitude line on it. Low and behold, I discovered there is no left turning arc as you follow a latitude line around the ball. Don't believe me, you should try it yourself.
Actually there is.  Take a look again. 

Are you saying a latitude line 10 feet from the pole doesn't result in you turning while you follow it east or west?

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

Hey buddy,

There is a turn, because you're following a circle of latitude rather than a great circle. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

Yendor

« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »

Hey buddy,

There is a turn, because you're following a circle of latitude rather than a great circle.

There is no turn following a latitude or the great circle.
                              George Orwell

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
Sorry Rodney we don't live here, ......

You absolute plonker

Yendor

« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »
Sorry Rodney we don't live here, ......

You absolute plonker

Never been called a plonker before. Is that a good thing?
Try it yourself, mark the lines on a ball and see for you see any right turn arcs as you rotate it straight vertically.
                              George Orwell

getrealzommb

« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
Depends on where I observe from.  looking down from the pole I make a circle  by turning left.

Yendor

« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
Depends on where I observe from.  looking down from the pole I make a circle  by turning left.

That's funny, especially the fact my name is Rodney too. That is a good one. Those Brits are something else.

Yes, I can see it has a chance working at the poles. I've said that many times before. Why are you arguing with me?
                              George Orwell

getrealzommb

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
Because if I observe from above the axis, I can see my finger trace out a circle always turning left on any line of latitude right to the equator. Alas showing why a pendulum works. 

Is thinking in three dimensions really that much of a challenge to you?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:50:27 PM by getrealzommb »

Yendor

« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Because if I observe from above the axis, I can see my finger trace out a circle always turning left on any line of latitude right to the equator. Alas showing why a pendulum works. 

Is thinking in three dimensions really that much of a challenge to you?

By that logic, even at the equator line your finger traces out a circle. I thought Foucault's pendulum didn't work at the equator.

The pendulum is not your finger. The earth turns straight and objects on the surface turns with it.

Is thinking in three dimensions really that much of a challenge to you? Do I have to make you a video?
                              George Orwell

« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
Wrong again.  Looking straight down at 50 degrees north latitude line on a desktop globe, there is a constant left turn made following it east.

Look at the north pole on your beach ball, now draw a line of latitude around it a couple centimeters away.  Is there a constant turn made while following it?

'Great circle' routes don't follow lines of latitude.  You should leave that out of this, you'll only confuse yourself even more.

getrealzommb

« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
Wrong again.  Looking straight down at 50 degrees north latitude line on a desktop globe, there is a constant left turn made following it east.

Look at the north pole on your beach ball, now draw a line of latitude around it a couple centimeters away.  Is there a constant turn made while following it?

'Great circle' routes don't follow lines of latitude.  You should leave that out of this, you'll only confuse yourself even more.

just to dd emphasis  Looking straight down

Go on then Rodders, do us a video.

Yendor

« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »

How are you following it? I follow it by the way the earth turns, west to east. Hold a ball, with a lat line, up in front of your eyes. Now turn the ball left to right while watching the lat line and tell me you see it arcing. It will go straight as an arrow, providing you drew the lat line straight.

I only mentioned great circle because someone else mentioned it, I'll leave it out if it confuses you.

George Orwell

Yendor

« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »

just to dd emphasis  Looking straight down

Go on then Rodders, do us a video.

You do have a, somewhat, sense of humor. You cussing me and all, I thought you were totally serious about everything.

Do you really need a video to see how to hold a ball up to you face and rotate it to see a lat line going straight around it and not arcing?
                              George Orwell

getrealzommb

« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
yes please.

Yendor

« Reply #235 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
yes please.

Will this work? It's not earth but the sun. Tell me those latitude lines curve.

George Orwell

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
yes please.

They do.  Look at this:

It's a Gnomonic Projection, and it shows great circles as straight lines, hence why the longitude lines and equator are straight lines.  The other lines of latitude curve, because they aren't straight lines like you're suggesting.  I rest my case. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
That's looking straight down at the equator, now look straight down at one of the latitudes somewhere between there and one of the poles.  They curve.

Does a latitude line a few centimeters from one of the poles on your beachball curve when you look straight down at it?

Yendor

« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
That's looking straight down at the equator, now look straight down at one of the latitudes somewhere between there and one of the poles.  They curve.

Does a latitude line a few centimeters from one of the poles on your beachball curve when you look straight down at it?

Why are you looking straight down on it? Of course the lines curve if you do that. That is not reality, come on get real, you should know better then that. the lines are exactly parallel with the equator all the way to the pole.
                              George Orwell

?

frenat

« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »

Why are you looking straight down on it? Of course the lines curve if you do that. That is not reality, come on get real, you should know better then that. the lines are exactly parallel with the equator all the way to the pole.
You look straight down on it because that is how you would see if it you were on it.   The whole point is having the pendulum on one of those lines and seeing that it must curve as it goes around the Earth.