The Expanse

• 16 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
The Expanse
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »

This is a great show! If you haven't seen season 1 you should catch up.

I never read the books, so some of it was a bit confusing, but I have some nerd friends who explained those parts. Anyway, if you love science fiction you will probably love this.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: The Expanse
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »

The season 4 premiere is December 13th. This is one of the best sci fi series, WATCH IT.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »
Season 5 just popped up. Going to check it out.

I really liked the first three seasons. Season 4 was a little disappointing though.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 07:57:59 AM »
I felt season 4 was the weakest, but still had good moments and still very enjoyable.

Looking forward to 5, sad 6 will be the last.  But then again, lucky it hasn't been canceled (permanently) already.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:07:24 AM »
I've seen eps 1 and 2 of this season. Really good so far!

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
Halfway through episode 4 of the new season.  Whooooo. 

Best sci-fi currently on TV, by far.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:56:51 AM »
Almost on the last episode of the season.

I don't hate it exactly.  I just find it to be very frustrating.

SPOILERS!!! sort of.  I might be getting some details wrong since I'm usually not sober when I watch these.

There are like 5 or so story lines.  Mostly they never come together.  I'm watching the first half wondering when they're going to get the band back together.  But nope.  Maybe it's a covid thing.

Iranian grandma has the most interesting storyline to me this season. No problems there.

Texas Martian guy and mma lady have an okay one.  Not great.

Naomi's is painfully uninteresting.  She has a son they didn't mention until now and a terrorist baby daddy they didn't mention until now.  For some reason it looks like they're all the exact same age.  And they all seem to hate each other for minor misunderstandings.  And all of their actions seem really random.

The belter lady began with the most frustrating story.  It ended last season with the belter scottish guy chasing down that terrorist.  He disables the terrorist's ship then boards it to, arrest him? kill him?  Well he loses that fight and gets killed himself.  That's fine but what I don't understand is why the hell the scottish belter guy's crew didn't immediately destroy the terrorists ship?

So the season starts with her hunting him.  Yada yada yada... terrorist guy says to her, "hey why don't you bring your navy and come talk to me for... reasons".  To which I'm thinking that this is an obvious trick to force the belter lady into working for him or blow them all up.  And that's exactly what happened.  WTF!!!???  Is this character brain damaged?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
My favorite storyline this season was Amos and Peaches.

We did already know about Naomi's son, but it might have been from season 1 or 2, so kind of a long time ago to remember.

I feel like this season was mostly about setting up for the next one, and you'll see what I mean when you see the finale.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:11:19 AM »
It does feel a lot like place setting.

Just saw the season finale. It was pretty awesome. Makes me excited for the final season.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
I have just begun watching this show, one episode in so far and I enjoyed it. Now I am posting here so I will be pseudo peer pressured into hurrying through to catch up so as not to see spoilers when I want to get caught up on the thread.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
I had to rewatch a lot of the first season a few times because the politics and the factions aren't immediately obvious and they're sort of important to making sense out of the show. 

Maybe this will save you some time.

Faction #1, Earth.  The richest faction with the biggest military.  Also most of the people on Earth are unemployed, living on UBI and spend a lot of time looking for drugs to stay entertained.

Faction #2, Mars.  Extremely driven and highly technically sophisticated.  Their entire culture is fixated on terraforming Mars.  They seceded from Earth a while back and there's something of a cold war going on between them.

Faction #3, the Outer Planets Alliances or Belters.  A group of outposts on the moons and large asteroids in the outer planets.  They have a history of being exploited by Mars and Earth.  Also some of them are terrorists but not all.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »

This is a great show! If you haven't seen season 1 you should catch up.

I never read the books, so some of it was a bit confusing, but I have some nerd friends who explained those parts. Anyway, if you love science fiction you will probably love this.

The books are great, and I think the authors are sick of the tv show, or sick of having to think of it in the books, because the latest one they do a like 30 year jump in the story, making the show pretty difficult to continue.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
I have just begun watching this show, one episode in so far and I enjoyed it. Now I am posting here so I will be pseudo peer pressured into hurrying through to catch up so as not to see spoilers when I want to get caught up on the thread.

Spoiler... it's awesome.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 11:48:12 PM »
The final season. One episode left.

I'm liking it so far but

Spoiler alert!
It has one more flaw in the storyline.

One at one holden has a nuclear missile pointed straight at the  main guys flag shop.

He fires but when he sees someone he knows he aborts the shot.

He had a chance to kill Hitler in 1938 and he decided one kid was more important that the entire planet.

It irks me

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 07:21:57 AM »
Yeah, Holden was a dumbass.

I can't believe there is only one more.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 11:49:29 PM »
Well that's it.  The final episode. It wasn't bad. It just felt very rushed though. Seriously needed twice as many episodes.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 03:55:04 AM »
The final season. One episode left.

I'm liking it so far but

Spoiler alert!
It has one more flaw in the storyline.

One at one holden has a nuclear missile pointed straight at the  main guys flag shop.

He fires but when he sees someone he knows he aborts the shot.

He had a chance to kill Hitler in 1938 and he decided one kid was more important that the entire planet.

It irks me

Holden is the perfect example of why nobody wants a paladin in their party.  Incapable of not doing the right thing no matter what the cost.

I'm not too upset about that, it was totally in character for him.  I'm more upset he didn't put a few more railgun rounds through their engines and power plant. There was plenty of time to totally wreck that ship as it was dead in the water.  That was just dumb.

All in all, they did well for only having 6 episodes to cover an entire novel. I'm so happy they didn't try and squeeze all 4 books into the final season.