casual conversation about space

• 44 Replies
Re: casual conversation about space
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
If gravity is a force, what is its opposite force, anti-gravity? Can someone demonstrate that for me.
Like any force pair, both forces are of the same type. The opposite force to the earth pulling you is you pulling the earth, but since the earth is so large the force hardly moves it.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
a good bit of evidence is objects with large mass always have objects with a lesser mass orbiting them.

Yeah; my house is a large mass and it has all sortsa shit spinning round it all the time...

Oh, wait, no it fucking doesn't you mental snotrag.

You don't even have a house. Either:
A) you live in a mental institution.
B) you live in a dungeon.

Note the words large mass. You're comparing a house to an object the size of the sun? When we're talking about gravity here?

Is it me or do you have some kind of disorder where you feel the need to disagree with everyone. Do you deny your own existence?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:04:10 PM by TylerJRB »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 02:10:47 PM »
Note the words large mass.

I did.

And my house is one.

But there is nothing orbiting it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:54:42 PM by Jack »
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
Note the words large mass.

I did.

And my house is one.

But there is nothing orbiting it.

Yeah, a house is a large mass compared to a planet or sun. Well done.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:55:00 PM by Jack »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
Oh right so 'gravity' only applies to tiny lights in the sky that we can never visit in person in order to gain Empirical evidence of wtf's actually happening?

My house is a big old mass that I can personally examine, yet there's nothing orbiting it; so stick your 'gravity' up your arse...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:55:23 PM by Jack »
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 03:00:21 PM »
If gravity is a force, what is its opposite force, anti-gravity? Can someone demonstrate that for me.
Strictly speaking it isn't a force.  Why would you need an "anti-force" (whatever that is) anyway?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
Strictly speaking it isn't a force.  Why would you need an "anti-force" (whatever that is) anyway?

OH, I know what the anti-force is. It's centrifugal force!  :P
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
Via the magic of google I have found out what it is:

A term coined by Luke Skywalker, the anti-Force referred to the mystical energy field which bound Waru's universe together, and was the polar opposite of the Force as known by the known universe. While stranded from his own universe on board Crseih Station, Waru could only acquire the needed energy to return to his own dimension by destroying the Force of the one which held him captive with the anti-Force of his own, which he performed by draining the life forces of several sentient beings who met him during a pilgrimage to heal them of various ailments.
I'm not really sure what any of that means and I'm less sure why yendor thinks it's relevant.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
There is likely more land out there beyond the Antarctic perimeter.  There are likely more sun's and terrestrial ponds.  The entire plans of the earth and our ignorance are both endless in possibilities.  For all we know, the entire plane of the earth spreads out across different altitudes.  Think of the 3D version of chess played in your Star Trek show.

Really! Since there have been numerous expeditions to the South Pole at 90°S 0°E, and quite a number right across Antarctica, that seems so unlikely as to be impossible.

People from Amundsen and Scott onwards have visited the actual South Geographic Pole.

The Flat Earth Society goes to great lengths to deny the existence of the South Pole.

So PROVING that the South Pole really exists ant least proves that the "Ice Wall" map, on the right, is quite impossible.

But when it comes to Transantarctic Expeditions is more a case of "how many do you want?"

The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - 1955-58, Vivian Fuchs and Sir Edmund Hillary

And if you like to watch old Kodachrome videos:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Part 1 of 5 by Simon Coggins
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Part 2 of 5 by Simon Coggins
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Part 3 of 5 by Simon Coggins
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Part 4 of 5 by Simon Coggins
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">The Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Part 5 of 5 by Simon Coggins

1955-58 Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition - Route

The International Trans-Antarctica Expedition, 1989-1990

The six members of the team at the geographic Pole, 12 December 1989

Is that close enough to "across Antarctica" for you?

The International Trans-Antarctica Expedition, 1989-1990 - Route

And commercial aircraft routes fly close to the North Pole, so I don't see where all this other stuff can "connect".

Still if it makes you happy to dream up this stuff, who am I to spoil your pleasure?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
a good bit of evidence is objects with large mass always have objects with a lesser mass orbiting them.

Yeah; my house is a large mass and it has all sortsa shit spinning round it all the time...

Oh, wait, no it fucking doesn't you mental snotrag.
Your house has a  ;D "large mass"  ;D!
Well, quite a large English stone house
      might have a mass of 300,000 kg!
The earth has a mass of 5.97E+24 kg - that is just a little bit more mass!

If you were a distance of 20 metres from the CG of your 300,000 kg house
the gravitational acceleration due to your  ??? massive house  ??? would be about 0.00000005 m2/s.

Do you think that all the rubbish scattered around you houses that compared to the earth's gravity of about 9.83 m2/s.
You really are ignorant as well as being an idiot aren't you?
Of course, if anything was in orbit around your house, that's what it would be.

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »
Still if it makes you happy to dream up this stuff, who am I to spoil your pleasure?
You are asking me? 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 01:35:24 AM »
You are asking me?
That was a rhetorical question and I would never really expect an answer from an anarchist, however charming.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
If gravity is a force, what is its opposite force, anti-gravity? Can someone demonstrate that for me?

Forces don't need anti-forces in the way you're thinking.  When I drop a pencil, the pencil falls toward the earth, but the earth also moves toward the pencil, very very slightly.  You may not think that makes sense, and I didn't either when I first heard of it, but think of it this way:  If I place two magnets of the size on a table with a dowel rod holding them apart, and I suddenly remove the rod, they move toward each other and meet in the middle.  If I use different sized magnets, the one with the smaller mass moves further and faster than the other, but they still come to a stop when they meet.  The force never works one-way, and neither object is exempt from it.  Hope this helps. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »

Do you mean like the anti-strong force or the anti-weak force
or the anti-electromagnetic force?

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »
I really hope this cancerous back-thinking dies out as space-travel becomes more accessible and cheaper.
Worse case scenario is that this FET spreads to decision making posts, and that funds are cut from science and progression.
Seeing how ignorant and selfish humans are i would not be suprised if this happens, "Flat earth makes me unique, and i want that so it must be true"
Well, you are unique even if earth is just another planet among million other planets in the universe.
Don't give me that bs that there could be more land beyond the "ice wall", if it there were it would have always existed and humans would have discovered it a long time ago, just like they discovered the existing land.
FET means humans are stuck on this earth forever, sure earth is beautiful, but what will happen when there are too many humans to support and nowhere else to go?
FET is inefficient, all this effort wasted to re-invent the wheel...
FET promotes stagnation, why explore when there is nothing else?
I hate FET...