Satellite dishes in Norfolk

• 79 Replies

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Satellite dishes in Norfolk
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Been vacationing in Norfolk and I saw something interesting. Across the hotel I've been staying in there's a tv or radio station that is about four stories tall. The hotel I was staying in was nine stories but I was on the fourth floor. Anyway I noticed the satellite dishes on the roof of the station (WGNT) were pointed at a 45 degree angle and were pointed south. According to the flat earth theory satellites don't exist and the dishes are getting there signals from towers. Please explain to me were are these dishes are getting there signal when there are no mountains near by.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Yendor

Re: Satellite dishes in Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »
Been vacationing in Norfolk and I saw something interesting. Across the hotel I've been staying in there's a tv or radio station that is about four stories tall. The hotel I was staying in was nine stories but I was on the fourth floor. Anyway I noticed the satellite dishes on the roof of the station (WGNT) were pointed at a 45 degree angle and were pointed south. According to the flat earth theory satellites don't exist and the dishes are getting there signals from towers. Please explain to me were are these dishes are getting there signal when there are no mountains near by.

I would think in Norfolk Va. satellite tv dishes should be pointing more towards SW at around 38 degree elevation to pick up the High-Altitude Long Endurance platforms they use to beam tv signals at us.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
The signals are received by being bounced off of a layer of moisture in the sky, that arcs from horizon to horizon (dipping slightly in the center). At and near the equator, the curve of this moisture means they must point straight up to avoid being scattered, while elsewhere there is less of a curve.
Statement of Belief:
I believe the Earth is flat. I believe we are being lied to. I believe the science we are told concerning light is false. I believe light and heat only exist with the caloric field. I believe there is more to the Earth than we are told.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I would think in Norfolk Va. satellite tv dishes should be pointing more towards SW at around 38 degree elevation to pick up the High-Altitude Long Endurance platforms they use to beam tv signals at us.
So this is going to be the next FE go-to answer. You realize they are just LOOKING at STUDYING these right?
(https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67265.msg1797523#msg1797523)

Yep, say anything to try to disprove satellites. Keep believing the fantasy.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
The signals are received by being bounced off of a layer of moisture in the sky, that arcs from horizon to horizon (dipping slightly in the center). At and near the equator, the curve of this moisture means they must point straight up to avoid being scattered, while elsewhere there is less of a curve.
Too bad, per your sig, you don't believe in astronomy.

1) Dish angles point at geostationary satellites per installation software.
2) The S. Celestial Pole needs to be over a single point S.Pole that can not be found on a single-sided FE per the geometry of rotating objects.
3) All the stars below the S.Celestial Pole in star trail images are on the opposite side of the Earth 10,000+ behind the observers and yet everyone is facing due south looking at the "edge" - remarkable.
4) The Sun is seen due E/W on the equinox at sunrise/sunset when it is 1/4 of the Earth away NE/NW. Sometimes as people have noted, sunrise/sunset is seen south (SE/SW) of their locations. How does that happen exactly on a FE?

Yep, too bad. Your FE Fantasy is the lie. So you are somewhat correct.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:18:41 AM by Jadyyn »
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

Yendor

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
So this is going to be the next FE go-to answer. You realize they are just LOOKING at STUDYING these right?
(https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67265.msg1797523#msg1797523)

You do realize that the technology has been around since the early 60's to do this don't you? Just because they say they are just now doing it doesn't mean anything. They could have been doing it all along as far as we know.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                              George Orwell

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »

2) The S. Celestial Pole needs to be over a single point S.Pole that can not be found on a single-sided FE per the geometry of rotating objects.
3) All the stars below the S.Celestial Pole in star trail images are on the opposite side of the Earth 10,000+ behind the observers and yet everyone is facing due south looking at the "edge" - remarkable.
4) The Sun is seen due E/W on the equinox at sunrise/sunset when it is 1/4 of the Earth away NE/NW. Sometimes as people have noted, sunrise/sunset is seen south (SE/SW) of their locations. How does that happen exactly on a FE?

My sig does not mention astronomy, it just mentions other facts that need to be taken into account.
This thread is about satellite dishes. Talk about satellite dishes, not star trails and the Sun. There are numerous threads where those issues are discussed, if you want to talk about stars go to a thread about stars, or start your own.
Dishes point where they've been told to point: certain points on the moisture layer which reflects the signals back down.
Statement of Belief:
I believe the Earth is flat. I believe we are being lied to. I believe the science we are told concerning light is false. I believe light and heat only exist with the caloric field. I believe there is more to the Earth than we are told.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »

My sig does not mention astronomy, it just mentions other facts that need to be taken into account.
This thread is about satellite dishes. Talk about satellite dishes, not star trails and the Sun. There are numerous threads where those issues are discussed, if you want to talk about stars go to a thread about stars, or start your own.
Dishes point where they've been told to point: certain points on the moisture layer which reflects the signals back down.
Link please of setup angles for particular locations and channels.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »

Link please of setup angles for particular locations and channels.

http://www.dishpointer.com/
Statement of Belief:

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »

You do realize that the technology has been around since the early 60's to do this don't you? Just because they say they are just now doing it doesn't mean anything. They could have been doing it all along as far as we know.
Ah, so why are they just looking into studying it now?

"They could have been doing it all along as far as we know." Or they could be doing what they claim they are doing. Can you demonstrate where this technology from the early 60's is being used for dishes today? ... or is this just a hopeful "may be" to keep the FE faith?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:01:12 AM by Jadyyn »

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »

OK, I was trying to drag you kicking and screaming into reality. But no go... Sorry...

I did mention satellite dishes.

So if all these dishes are pointing and converging somewhere to get their signals, where is this spot? Can you show us using 3 points and dish angles, like the ones I provided (https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64682.msg1726741#msg1726741), where that spot is so we can check for a transmitter? ... or is this just fanciful BS?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:08:22 AM by Jadyyn »

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »

OK, I was trying to drag you kicking and screaming into reality. But no go... Sorry...

So if all these dishes are pointing and converging somewhere to get their signals, where is this spot? Can you show us using 3 points and dish angles, like the ones I provided (https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=64682.msg1726741#msg1726741), where that spot is so we can check for a transmitter? ... or is this just fanciful BS?
Please refrain from such clearly meant-to-provoke language. You clearly know those arguments do not work: either you have made a thread on them and seen the responses, or you do not wish to see them rebutted in a location people can easily find. It is simple courtesy in a forum. I don't give the multiple experiments that have detected no curvature, or bring up the flaws in the physics supporting a round earth, when it is not relevant to the subject.

I responded to your mention of satellite dishes. I don't know why you're talking about signals converging on only one location, I didn't say that, I said the signals were reflected back to the ground to/from stations and towers. There are a lot of towers and facilities in the world.

I have noticed that you often seem to feel the need to state your opinion arrogantly. Such statements have no place in scientific discourse. If you are right, you should be able to prove it calmly. If you need to bluster, consider why. If you are simply frustrated I would suggest you find a different hobby, if this one is so unenjoyable for you.
Statement of Belief:

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »
Satellite signals do not bounce off moisture.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
Satellite signals do not bounce off moisture.
I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is intended do be. Are you stating that they cannot bounce off moisture, in which case I must refute that: all such signals will be reflected off anything tangible, such as sufficient concentrations of moisture. If you are simply claiming they do not, then it seems a purposefulness post until you explain how you ascertain that.
Statement of Belief:

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
Your posts are so ridiculous that I am convinced that you must be an undercover Globe supporter trying to make the whole FE idea look unbelievable.
;D While I appreciate your assistance, I do not like these tactics, and would prefer arguments to be open and honest!  ;D
Mind you, these are just my twisted thoughts and others may approve.

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »
Your posts are so ridiculous that I am convinced that you must be an undercover Globe supporter trying to make the whole FE idea look unbelievable.
;D While I appreciate your assistance, I do not like these tactics, and would prefer arguments to be open and honest!  ;D

You have addressed me multiple times now. If you are going to continue to do so, please add something of substance. What, exactly, is it you object to? I am certain I have asked you that before, I cannot recall seeing any reply.
Statement of Belief:

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »
May I ask if this is a special layer of moisture. I ask because the world is covered with clouds/moisture and this doesn't effect the reception when it is overcast. Or when there is not a cloud in the sky.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »

Please refrain from such clearly meant-to-provoke language. You clearly know those arguments do not work: either you have made a thread on them and seen the responses, or you do not wish to see them rebutted in a location people can easily find. It is simple courtesy in a forum. I don't give the multiple experiments that have detected no curvature, or bring up the flaws in the physics supporting a round earth, when it is not relevant to the subject.

I responded to your mention of satellite dishes. I don't know why you're talking about signals converging on only one location, I didn't say that, I said the signals were reflected back to the ground to/from stations and towers. There are a lot of towers and facilities in the world.

I have noticed that you often seem to feel the need to state your opinion arrogantly. Such statements have no place in scientific discourse. If you are right, you should be able to prove it calmly. If you need to bluster, consider why. If you are simply frustrated I would suggest you find a different hobby, if this one is so unenjoyable for you.
No problem then - no convergence. As dish software tells installers where to point the dishes in the sky from ANYWHERE based on the longitude and latitude of the installation, please provide the location of some of these transmitters. I provided 3 locations and angles per the software. Please calculate where these transmitters are/would be so we can verify your claim.

Yep, there are many towers and facilities in the world. There are lots of trees in the world also. So what? Can you demonstrate any Dishes bouncing off the atmosphere at them or is this just mere hand-waving? (FE logic - there are horses in the world, animals fly, therefore there are flying horses)

In case you are wondering, in the installer software you specify which satellite you want the dish to point at. Based on your latitude and longitude, the software calculates the angles. The Dishes actually DO converge in the real world 42,000+ km above the center of the Earth. This is done for all the dishes out there. So against reality (the real world), what do you have to offer for your "maybe" scenario?

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
Oh, BTW, I absolutely 100% know you can not provide ANY evidence of these "moisture layers" actually working. Why?

Because no FE model has a map. You don't know where you or anything is on your FE fantasy world. How can you measure or say what happens anywhere on it? You don't know where a dish (e.g. a house in Texas) is on a FE. You don't know where ANY transmitter is on a FE. So how do you know when a dish is pointing up, it hits a transmitter on Earth? It is all hand-waving - nothing scientific or measurable or verifiable.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »

You have addressed me multiple times now. If you are going to continue to do so, please add something of substance. What, exactly, is it you object to? I am certain I have asked you that before, I cannot recall seeing any reply.

I've plenty posts with substance, I've never heard from you..

feel free to join my thread for a discussion/debate
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67264.0

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 04:26:05 AM »
Because no FE model has a map. You don't know where you or anything is on your FE fantasy world. How can you measure or say what happens anywhere on it? You don't know where a dish (e.g. a house in Texas) is on a FE. You don't know where ANY transmitter is on a FE. So how do you know when a dish is pointing up, it hits a transmitter on Earth? It is all hand-waving - nothing scientific or measurable or verifiable.
That wasn't a good argument the first time you made it. Given the core of Triddles' argument is based on satellite signals bouncing off of moisture layers, the only claim that merits testing is that. Whether or not that happens isn't going to relate to how far Texas is from wherever. Asking for things that would be impossible to provide regardless of the shape of the Earth is just silly, especially if they aren't really relevant.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 05:17:23 AM »

• You have never given the slightest evidence that there is "a layer of moisture in the sky", other than your stating it.

• Likewise the is no evidence that it "arcs from horizon to horizon (dipping slightly in the center)."

• As has been presented numerous times the pointing information for these satellite TV dishes all point to known locations of Geostationary Satellites[1].

• You state "At and near the equator, the curve of this moisture means they must point straight up to avoid being scattered, while elsewhere there is less of a curve."
    How does this explain the fact that receiving dishes have to be aligned to within a degree or better to receive a good signal.

• You give no evidence of whether this "layer of moisture" could reflect the bands used for satellite TV and presumably all other services using satellites, such as GPS.

Now, what about a little in the way of evidence for your claims.
Surely if such a layer existed information would be available as to its altitude, density and how it is maintained even over vast areas of desert.

[1]  Here are some posts addressing a similar matter:
Re: Trophospheric scatter imitating geo-synch satellites? « Reply #57 on: June 11, 2016, 04:59:57 AM »
Re: Flight durations vs distances « Reply #132 on: November 03, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
That wasn't a good argument the first time you made it. Given the core of Triddles' argument is based on satellite signals bouncing off of moisture layers, the only claim that merits testing is that. Whether or not that happens isn't going to relate to how far Texas is from wherever. Asking for things that would be impossible to provide regardless of the shape of the Earth is just silly, especially if they aren't really relevant.
Actually you are correct. It is impossible to provide on a FE. On a FE, even if signals somehow could bounce off of moisture layers, how can you tell if you don't know where the transmitter is that is sending the signal or the receiver (dish) is? I don't even know if the height of these moisture layers can be measured. How can anything be measured?

On a RE, per latitude and longitude on a sphere, we know exactly where they are. Therefore, based on the calculated angles from software we can point the dishes at the target. They all converge on the target. We can set up telescopes (without even their motors running) to take pictures of the geostationary targets. All this conforms to documentation on how dishes are installed and work.

So against hand-waving at best with dubious scientific properties (bounding off of moisture layers) - another ad hoc explanation that probably only one FEer believes, we have reality that is testable, falsifiable, measurable and repeatable.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »
May I ask if this is a special layer of moisture. I ask because the world is covered with clouds/moisture and this doesn't effect the reception when it is overcast. Or when there is not a cloud in the sky.

Moisture does affect satellite signals.
http://www.tech-faq.com/rainfade.html
Statement of Belief:

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »

I've plenty posts with substance, I've never heard from you..

feel free to join my thread for a discussion/debate
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67264.0
I was not addressing you. I am busy in the threads I am currently involved in, and it seems as though there is plenty of activity in that thread.
Statement of Belief:

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »

No problem then - no convergence. As dish software tells installers where to point the dishes in the sky from ANYWHERE based on the longitude and latitude of the installation, please provide the location of some of these transmitters. I provided 3 locations and angles per the software. Please calculate where these transmitters are/would be so we can verify your claim.

Yep, there are many towers and facilities in the world. There are lots of trees in the world also. So what? Can you demonstrate any Dishes bouncing off the atmosphere at them or is this just mere hand-waving? (FE logic - there are horses in the world, animals fly, therefore there are flying horses)

In case you are wondering, in the installer software you specify which satellite you want the dish to point at. Based on your latitude and longitude, the software calculates the angles. The Dishes actually DO converge in the real world 42,000+ km above the center of the Earth. This is done for all the dishes out there. So against reality (the real world), what do you have to offer for your "maybe" scenario?
I will happily do so if you can provide one piece of information: given your dish, what angle is it at, and where is the tower or installation that receives its signal? From that I can calculate where all dishes at the same angle on that radius. Without that, it is not physically possible for me to answer that question.

Satellite signals reflect off moisture, and a moisture layer would develop between the heat of the Sun and the cool of the ground: there is a point where it goes from gas to liquid and back to gas. The variation I gave only follows from the shape of the caloric field, and the Sun's influence.

Dishes can be said to converge many ways. If you wanted you could point every dish on Earth towards a place that would be over the equator, but the signal would still bounce and return to a point on Earth. So long as a sufficient 'satellite' is there (it might be no bigger than a lamppost, the main installation could be elsewhere) the system will remain.

I ask you again to please leave behind the bluster. I understand you believe the world is round, but a conversation cannot be had if you try to drag me into your worldview without comprehending mine. If it makes you happy I will concede this aspect of your model could work. I don't believe that is true, but I have no desire to get into that discussion. Now, if your model can in theory work, and my model can in theory work, what is it you intend to do to sort between them?
Statement of Belief:

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
Did you actually read that article (1st sentence in the 1st paragraph)?

It says that rain and snowfall disperse/distort satellite signals. Nowhere does it say that Dish TV companies use clouds (VERY low level) to transmit TV broadcasts. So what is your point?

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »

• You have never given the slightest evidence that there is "a layer of moisture in the sky", other than your stating it.

• Likewise the is no evidence that it "arcs from horizon to horizon (dipping slightly in the center)."

• As has been presented numerous times the pointing information for these satellite TV dishes all point to known locations of Geostationary Satellites[1].

• You state "At and near the equator, the curve of this moisture means they must point straight up to avoid being scattered, while elsewhere there is less of a curve."
    How does this explain the fact that receiving dishes have to be aligned to within a degree or better to receive a good signal.

• You give no evidence of whether this "layer of moisture" could reflect the bands used for satellite TV and presumably all other services using satellites, such as GPS.

Now, what about a little in the way of evidence for your claims.
Surely if such a layer existed information would be available as to its altitude, density and how it is maintained even over vast areas of desert.

[1]  Here are some posts addressing a similar matter:
Re: Trophospheric scatter imitating geo-synch satellites? « Reply #57 on: June 11, 2016, 04:59:57 AM »
Re: Flight durations vs distances « Reply #132 on: November 03, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

There must be a layer of moisture in the sky, due to the water cycle. There is a point where it changes from gas to liquid, resulting in a layer. This point varies in altitude due to the various concentrations of the heat from the Sun, and covers the whole Earth. It is well known moisture can reflect television signals: dishes normally just use something strong enough to get past rain, but when the signal is weaker higher up it will bounce off the moisture layer. If a signal is sent at the wrong angle, it will bounce off a different point and end up in a different location.
I don't understand how referring to geostationary satellites is intended as evidence. They only exist if you believe the world is round.

Much of how the world works is kept secret.
Statement of Belief:

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
Did you actually read that article (1st sentence in the 1st paragraph)?

It says that rain and snowfall disperse/distort satellite signals. Nowhere does it say that Dish TV companies use clouds (VERY low level) to transmit TV broadcasts. So what is your point?

I did not say that was what it said. I refuted the claim that moisture has no effect on satellite signals.
Statement of Belief: