Using a Gyroscope to detect Earth rotation and find True North

• 4 Replies
I set out trying to repeat Foucaults gyroscopic demonstration of a slowly rotating Earth, and so far I have come up with the easier to make more rapidly moving North seeking gyro.    North seeking gyros are used in mining, tunnelling and even oil well drilling.    The device is not actually North seeking but rather a device that attempts to align itself with the axis of the Earth, so either end of the rotor will point at North if the rotor is rotated 180 degrees.   Similarly the direction of rotation of the motor makes almost no difference to the result with the only difference I could see was the oscillation was slightly stronger when the rotor and the earth had the same rotational direction.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:09:10 PM by Aliveandkicking »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Using a Gyroscope to detect Earth rotation and find True North
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
404 Not Found

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
try this one please

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
I set out trying to repeat Foucaults gyroscopic demonstration of a slowly rotating Earth, and so far I have come up with the easier to make more rapidly moving North seeking gyro.    North seeking gyros are used in mining, tunnelling and even oil well drilling.    The device is not actually North seeking but rather a device that attempts to align itself with the axis of the Earth, so either end of the rotor will point at North if the rotor is rotated 180 degrees.   Similarly the direction of rotation of the motor makes almost no difference to the result with the only difference I could see was the oscillation was slightly stronger when the rotor and the earth had the same rotational direction.

Marine Gyro-compasses (invented in 1904 by Dr. Hermann Anschütz-Kaempfe) have relied on the earth's rotation to find true North and predate NASA  ;D fabrication  ;D of the rotating globe by over 50 years. See A Pioneer in Navigation Technology.

Also, as you point out the Gyro-theodolite is widely used in mining and tunneling, see Gyrotheodolite

A Wild GAK gyroscope mounted on a Wild T-16 theodolite.
Still since these are undeniable evidence of a rotating globe earth, they will be declared fake  :P "inventions" of NASA  :P.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:08 AM »

Marine Gyro-compasses (invented in 1904 by Dr. Hermann Anschütz-Kaempfe) have relied on the earth's rotation to find true North and predate NASA  ;D fabrication  ;D of the rotating globe by over 50 years. See A Pioneer in Navigation Technology.

Also, as you point out the Gyro-theodolite is widely used in mining and tunneling, see Gyrotheodolite

A Wild GAK gyroscope mounted on a Wild T-16 theodolite.
Still since these are undeniable evidence of a rotating globe earth, they will be declared fake  :P "inventions" of NASA  :P.

I tried making a gyrocompass by replacing the long power wires from the ceiling (which act as a restricting spring) with some fine brushes from one of my aviation gyros and floating the arrrangement in water.     The arrangement can then rotate in an unrestricted manner.   It was not successful.  It rotates continually.   The problem could be the float is not  pulled level with sufficient force to overcome other forces.   At some point I will retry with a weight attached far below the float to create a stronger plum bob influence on the float.