Emacs or XCODE

• 0 Replies

FlatEarthDenial

• FE is anti-science.
Emacs or XCODE
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »
So, which of those two editors on OS X is better for the C language family? I think that XCODE is better for Objective-C, because its auto-complete features help with those annoying long directives. And, of course, building complex Objective-C GUI applications using only UNIX tools (so, without, for example, Interface Builder in XCODE) is inconceivable, don't you think? But I think that emacs is better for C and C++, because, if you forget those complex syntaxes of the C functions, you can just type its name and press esc-x man and it will open you the OS X manual page for it. This, of course, doesn't work if you use emacs on, for example, Windows. It also does many things better than XCODE, for instance, it lets you test your program in a shell, and not just in a debugger (so you can more easily experiment with arguments). Also, being able to easily tell the compiler (I use clang) where to output the program makes it easier to do the basic file management. LISP evaluation is also a funny thing. If you learn LISP a bit, like I did, you can use it for basic meta-programming. But it's usually just a waste of time. That doesn't mean it's not fun, like those games (I like playing gomoku) or virtual psychotherapist, all included in emacs. I've tried to use emacs to edit assembly language (Flat Assembler, to be precise), and I wasn't very happy about it: it colored everything wrong. I think it's better to use an actual IDE with an actual parser if you use assembler, even if you have to use DosBox then. I've also tried to edit Small Basic code in both of them, and I think that xed is better, because, again, auto-complete features compensate for the long directives. An argument that might come across is that it's harder to customize colors in emacs, and it's not true: set your preferences in Terminal.
So, what are your thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:59:10 PM by FlatEarthDenial »
A former Flat Earther.
This is my story, which I'd encourage every Flat Earther to read:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=67051.0