GPS | Navigation

• 65 Replies
GPS | Navigation
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
Knowing that Sports Authority is going out of business, I thought it might be a good time to get a good deal on some new golf clubs. Being sort of new to the area, I wasn't entirely sure where the closest one was. Having the option on my phone, I decided to use the GPS assisted map application to find the nearest location, and also direct me to the location of the store.

Worked like a charm!

Got me wondering how it works every time when satellites don't exist... 

Re: GPS | Navigation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »
cell phones use cell phone towers to get their location
Confirmed trolls to ignore:
Mousewalker-Denies fisheye lenses used in videos
Sokarul-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens
Definitely not official-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
LORAN, of course!
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
cell phones use cell phone towers to get their location
You should say "cell phones" can "use cell phone towers" and WiFi "to get their" approximate "location", but must use the GPS and/or GLONASS satellites to get an accurate position.

I have a couple of portable GPS units with no phone or WiFi connection and there is not a shadow of doubt that they uses GPS and/or GLONASS satellites.

These work essentially anywhere in the world as far as you like from any cell-phone towers.

And don't come up with you stupid balloon hypotheses or whatever is today's guess!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:20:13 AM »
I always wonder what kind of antenna flat earth believers use, that is always capable of detecting and transmitting the whole wave spectrum at the same time...

?

Woody

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:30:46 AM »
I always wonder what kind of antenna flat earth believers use, that is always capable of detecting and transmitting the whole wave spectrum at the same time...

Same here.  They seem not to notice that there is a reason for antennas being designed differently.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:24:45 AM »
Yes, and these Loran-? antennae have fit into a wrist watch. I have often said that the Flat Earth relies on magic!

?

dado

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 04:27:22 AM »
I always wondered how come when travelling offroad my phone loses signal, but GPS works w/o problems... Strange, almost like....magic :)

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 05:01:04 AM »
why does GPS not work in the southern hemishperes?

possibly because there is no south pole?

?

Kami

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 05:05:05 AM »

possibly because there is no south pole?
It does not? That is new to me...

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 05:13:15 AM »
im not for certain.. i know there are several different takes on it.. WAAS doesn't work with GPS
planes usually get lost when they fly in the southern part.. so i don't know for certain..

but its what I've heard.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:05 AM »
im not for certain.. i know there are several different takes on it.. WAAS doesn't work with GPS
planes usually get lost when they fly in the southern part.. so i don't know for certain..

but its what I've heard.
Not true.  GPS has universal coverage.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:14 AM »
What?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 05:49:47 AM »
What?

flights in the southern hem turn off GPS.

im not trying to be an asshole or anything.. but saying What? i cant type louder so you can hear..

i have only heard and read that GPS doesn't work like all that well..

you have to be open minded not narrow minded.. remember we are all mostly here because of a big lie..

so we are all learning..

unless you are the one who knows it all.. if so.. please... share

?

frenat

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:53:06 AM »
What?

citation needed.
I've seen no indication they turn off GPS.  Perhaps you are referring to the lost tracking on sites like flight radar 24?  Tracking there is provided by RADAR or ADS-B and in some areas in the South they get out of range.  GPS is not two way.  It is receive only.  You don't transmit anything back to the satellite.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, rabinoz and some other user are from Australia, and they're quite vocal. I'm sure you can contact them (if they don't post here before) and I'm sure they will tell you and show you how well GPS works in the southern hemisphere.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 05:58:25 AM »
What?

citation needed.
I've seen no indication they turn off GPS.  Perhaps you are referring to the lost tracking on sites like flight radar 24?  Tracking there is provided by RADAR or ADS-B and in some areas in the South they get out of range.  GPS is not two way.  It is receive only.  You don't transmit anything back to the satellite.

so how does it work then.. does GPS work in the south? is it a WAAS compatibility thing?

i don't know for sure.. i know flights get lost on the news a lot.. i also see they use different tracking devices.. but I'm not for sure.. i was just pointing out that it seems different down south.. lol..

please explain if you know.. i apparently do not

I'm here to learn..

im a firm believe that government lies.. GMO is what drove me here..
my GF got celiac and in order to feed her i had to research a lot..

Gluten to GMO to Fed Reserve to Flat Earth.. lol

so I'm open ears and eyes

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
What?
Look it up.  GPS has universal coverage.

citation needed.

so how does it work then.. does GPS work in the south? is it a WAAS compatibility thing?

i don't know for sure.. i know flights get lost on the news a lot.. i also see they use different tracking devices.. but I'm not for sure.. i was just pointing out that it seems different down south.. lol..

please explain if you know.. i apparently do not

I'm here to learn..

im a firm believe that government lies.. GMO is what drove me here..
my GF got celiac and in order to feed her i had to research a lot..

Gluten to GMO to Fed Reserve to Flat Earth.. lol

so I'm open ears and eyes
GPS has universal coverage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:56:09 AM by inquisitive »

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 06:35:23 AM »

That's strange,  it was working this afternoon,   did someone upload Windows 10 to the satellites?

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
What?

im not trying to be an asshole or anything..

So why not engage your brain before typing idiotic bollocks like "why does GPS not work in the southern hemishperes?".  It's a dumb as fuck question.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
What?

So why not engage your brain before typing idiotic bollocks like "why does GPS not work in the southern hemishperes?".  It's a dumb as fuck question.

google it you fuck.. talk shit cause no one will do shit.. makes you look smart.. faggot

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 07:39:07 AM »
What?

oh sorry wouldn't want your liberal gender confusion round earth tv loving fat mcdonald butt to get offended.. my bad..

its not my fault the world is filled with bullshit..

doubt you are even real.. we should swap phone numbers and schedule a meeting.. then you can get mad as you want.. and we will see.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 07:48:50 AM »

oh sorry wouldn't want your liberal gender confusion round earth tv loving fat mcdonald butt to get offended.. my bad..

doubt you are even real.. we should swap phone numbers and schedule a meeting.. then you can get mad as you want.. and we will see.

"liberal gender confusion round earth tv loving fat mcdonald butt"?    He's a crab...   think seafood FFS.  Non GMO Gluten free of course.

Are you sure it's not your fault?   You are the one posting the bullshit.   Have a peanut butter sandwich,  you will feel much better.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:54:50 AM by Rayzor »

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »

"liberal gender confusion round earth tv loving fat mcdonald butt"?    He's a crab...   think seafood FFS.  Non GMO Gluten free of course.

Are you sure it's not your fault?   You are the one posting the bullshit.

i didn't post it.. it is on the internet..

and yes it is gluten gmo free... its called real food.. you fake sugar burger

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »
i didn't post it.. it is on the internet..

So we agree some of what's posted on the internet is bullshit.    Don't make it any worse.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »

i didn't post it.
Err, you did.  I find it hard to believe that you are too retarded to know what you posted an hour a go.  I call troll.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »

i didn't post it.
Err, you did.  I find it hard to believe that you are too retarded to know what you posted an hour a go.  I call troll.

i found it on the internet.. so no i didn't post it.
i read it and asked about it..

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:25 AM »
Do you honestly believe your cell phone is talking to a whizzing by ball in space that tells you where you are?
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
Do you honestly believe your cell phone is talking to a whizzing by ball in space that tells you where you are?
Do you mean a GPS receiver receiving data from a satellite which it uses to calculate your position?  Yes, clever what they can do now.

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »

It knows exactly where I am no matter where I am.
Something must be communicating with my device.