If there is a dome around the earth why can't you travel there and prove it?

• 65 Replies
If the world is surrounded by a dome or has an edge, surely it should be pretty easy to prove or disprove it just by traveling to where the dome should be and taking pictures. I understand that most flat earth theorists think that the dome is located in Antarctica and Antarctica surrounds the earth which might make travelling to the dome harder, but it should be possible with modern technology. Surely you could take a helicopter/plane and fly there. I assume you would need permission to fly across Antarctica and it would be expensive and probably dangerous, but for the amount of time people are wasting on flat earth theory it would probably be worth the money (It would probably have to be carried out by an actual flat earth theorist rather than a scientist though, otherwise flat earth theorists would never trust the footage). If flat earth theorists actually want to prove their theory surely they could go to the effort of organizing this as a pretty much unquestionable proof of flat earth theory. I mean travelling to Antarctica is hardly rocket science ;)
While flat earth theorists complain about science not having good enough proof for their research that involves space travel, they cannot find a way to prove that the entire world is surrounded by a giant dome... Flat earth theory should be infinitely easier to prove than round earth theory yet they can't prove it
There are enough crazy religions and conspiracy theories out there, you are lucky people are wasting their time with your one. Don't keep scaring them off with your frightening lack of understanding of how the world works.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
It would be inaccessible to human beings due to the extreme conditions.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
The dome would be too far away to reach (if it exists).
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
And treaties and other matters. Its quite hard to get to the antarctic. I planned a trip some time ago and was stopped due to weather. The situations have to be perfect and lots of time is needed to ensure you don't miss the window of travel. Let alone if you can withstand the conditions like sceptimatic said.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
My dome, the potential reality of the dome, would be nothing to do with Antarctica, or any ice wall.
I believe the ice wall is in the centre, or shall I say, it's ringing the centre.
The dome foundation would never be reached, because it entails sailing outward in the ocean before hitting extreme cold and impossible ice conditions on the water that would simply overwhelm any ship.
From that point on, on ice, it would be an upward gradient that would eventually lead to zero breathable oxygen.
From that point it would be higher and thinner and basically blackness if you could magically ascend it.
We see it all from where we are, around the centre ice rim, when we look up and see everything that is reflected off of that dome that emits from the true centre of this Earth cell we and other bacteria thrive in.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
My dome, the potential reality of the dome, would be nothing to do with Antarctica, or any ice wall.
I believe the ice wall is in the centre, or shall I say, it's ringing the centre.
The dome foundation would never be reached, because it entails sailing outward in the ocean before hitting extreme cold and impossible ice conditions on the water that would simply overwhelm any ship.
From that point on, on ice, it would be an upward gradient that would eventually lead to zero breathable oxygen.
From that point it would be higher and thinner and basically blackness if you could magically ascend it.
We see it all from where we are, around the centre ice rim, when we look up and see everything that is reflected off of that dome that emits from the true centre of this Earth cell we and other bacteria thrive in.

Reflection?  Where?
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Due to what "extreme conditions"? Some evicence, Please.

Username

• Administrator
Here's a recent unlucky fellow that attempted the journey.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35398552

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not

Prove it.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

Prove it.

None of Antarctica's animals got onto the ark because it was inaccessible.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Here's a recent unlucky fellow that attempted the journey.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35398552
I thought we were talking about "The Dome", not the South Pole.

Plenty of people have got to the the South Pole from Roald Amundsen (1911, he survived) and Robert Scott (1912, he didn't) on.
But, yes conditions in Antarctica can be very harsh, and very variable - sometimes perfect (even if it has never been above −12.3 C).

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
The dome is actually an invisible barrier. It is electromagnetic and anything that gets near it will be magnetized, and once it hits the dome it is shredded to pieces. Everything that is shredded by the dome is actually teleported through to the Devil's butthole to be ejected in the underworld.
And where is the slightest evidence of any of this, or did you dream it up on some trip or other . . . . . ?

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not

Prove it.

None of Antarctica's animals got onto the ark because it was inaccessible.

You're assuming that they were in Antarctica to begin with. Plus it's off topic and is border line trolling.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

The dome would be too far away to reach (if it exists).

If there was no dome or it was extremely far away and the earth was flat then all you have to do is travel in a straight line and record the distance you have traveled across the antarctic and compare it to the length of the antarctic according to scientists. If you travel further than you could have traveled in a straight line across the arctic then you disprove the scientific length of the antarctic and if you had decent evidence of it because you recorded it or whatever then you could prove that science was wrong/lying...

As for the difficulty of the extreme conditions, planes and helicopters could quite easily have good enough air conditioning to survive in the arctic. More importantly you could simply use some kind of drone with a mounted camera that could be controlled remotely or simply be programmed to fly in one direction and back. The only real problems would be whether you could get one with enough fuel and whether you would be in danger from stuff like low visibility in snow storms etc, but I am confident that you could get round all of this with modern technology. It would obviously be an expensive trip but it would be comparable in difficulty and risk to sending submarines into deep ocean which we have achieved long ago.

In conclusion, a drone would be a feasible and danger free way of potentially proving this whole theory as long as you could get permission and raise enough money for the parts. If scientists wanted to cross the south pole to research something then they would design something to do that, for the sake of actually giving evidence for their theories. They wouldn't just go around calling people sheeple. You flat earth theorists are a pretty scarily big group, you should be able to do something like this for the possibility of UNQUESTIONABLY PROVING YOUR THEORY. I guess some of you people will be asking why scientists don't do this research for you, but the thing is you are just one of many conspiracy theories and scientists couldn't afford to go and try to disprove every single conspiracy theory, AND EVEN IF THEY DID you would still dismiss everything they showed you as fake!
There are enough crazy religions and conspiracy theories out there, you are lucky people are wasting their time with your one. Don't keep scaring them off with your frightening lack of understanding of how the world works.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Wow, none of your answers or questions are about the flat Earth.  Are you people lost? 

You could send an unmanned drone.  Or send a rocket.  A few thousand miles isn't hard for a rocket.  Hell, pack it with some explosives and punch a hole in the dome!  Let's bust out of this cage!

Username

• Administrator
We have historical record of somebody travelling to the dome. Supposedly a missionary of the Middle Ages said he found where the earth and sky touch. It is the inspiration to this image:

Simple answer.

There is no dome or edge.

That is why one can not travel to prove it exists.

Even if someone did, the Round Earth guys would claim it was CGI!

And treaties and other matters. Its quite hard to get to the antarctic. I planned a trip some time ago and was stopped due to weather. The situations have to be perfect and lots of time is needed to ensure you don't miss the window of travel. Let alone if you can withstand the conditions like sceptimatic said.

I've seen you mention "how hard" it is to go to the Antarctic on here quite a few times.
You have said it's not allowed, but that's completely untrue.
16 scientific research areas are protected from the public. That's it.
The rest is open to the public. Go explore. - Take photos of the dome while you are there.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Travel/antarctica_travel_home.php
http://www.polarcruises.com/antarctica

Username

• Administrator

I've seen you mention "how hard" it is to go to the Antarctic on here quite a few times.
The rest is open to the public. Go explore. - Take photos of the dome while you are there.

Like I said, I planned a trip there some time ago. Even seasoned explorers die in trips to the Antarctic. Its happens fairly regularly. I'm certainly not up to snuff for a journey deep into the Antarctic and I doubt many that visit this forum are either. You might as well be asking people to climb Mount Everest.

Like I said, I planned a trip there some time ago. Even seasoned explorers die in trips to the Antarctic. Its happens fairly regularly. I'm certainly not up to snuff for a journey deep into the Antarctic and I doubt many that visit this forum are either. You might as well be asking people to climb Mount Everest.

Thousands of people climb Everest every year... Unless you believe they are all "shills" and their pictures are photoshopped.
You being "up to snuff" [out of shape] has nothing to do with it.

It's done every year, by lots of people. 

We have historical record of somebody travelling to the dome. Supposedly a missionary of the Middle Ages said he found where the earth and sky touch. It is the inspiration to this image:

Much of Marco Polo's stories were fabricated too.  If your missionary went there, why wouldn't he bring literally one other person to show them what he'd found.  And who were these people who lived at the edge of the world to whom he was preaching?  And why didn't anyone go back?

Username

• Administrator
Seems if you are asking me to go to the edge of the Earth to look at the dome, my physical abilities come into play quite a bit.

As I said, I have already attempted to travel there once.

I am doubtful anybody goes far enough in to see anything given the data I'm about to share.

For tourists, Antarctica is accessible only during the austral summer season from November to March. All tourist companys that land in the Antarctic are required to have a permit due to the Antarctic Treaty. In 1999-2000 only 14,762 people visited Antarctica as tourists. The large majority of these were from cruise ships.

The areas accessible by ship are The Antarctic Peninsula and the Ross Sea Area. Other areas are reachable only with large funding and ridiculous motivation on those who are travelling there. These include the South Pole, an old Soviet Station in the most inaccessable place in the world, Mount Erebus (Ross Island), Anyer Island (tourist trap), The South Shetland Islands, McMurdo Sound (on the mainland near Ross Island) and Mawson's Huts (Common Wealth Bay).

The areas accessible by Yacht (about a dozen vessels many of which are members of IAATO) offer trips to the Antarctic Peninsula from South America. Most of these are on the coastline as well.

By plane: Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin Aerodrome, Williams Field, Pegasus, Annual Sea-Ice Runway, Rothera Research Station, Union Glacier Blue-ice runway. These flights are very limited with only a handful of operators. The rates range from 8000 AUD to 2000 AUD.

The tourist packages for these things don't really cover trans-versing the entire continent.  At most they travel to a sign in the ground labelled the South Pole or climb some mountains. Maybe some sporting.

None of these would be anywhere near the Dome.

You are asking us to perform a feat very few have done and many died attempting, and you are acting like its a walk in the park. You are being completely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:34:20 PM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator

Much of Marco Polo's stories were fabricated too.  If your missionary went there, why wouldn't he bring literally one other person to show them what he'd found.  And who were these people who lived at the edge of the world to whom he was preaching?  And why didn't anyone go back?
I agree. Its unlikely he indeed did. However, we still have record of it. Hence the 'supposedly'.

I agree. Its unlikely he indeed did. However, we still have record of it. Hence the 'supposedly'.

I can draw a picture of me making out with the Virgin Mary.  But that doesn't make it true.  An artist's depiction of an idea doesn't make the idea in question exist.  If it did, I would draw myself into being a world-famous super-athlete/genius who solves racism with a but a word.

Pretty sure I still won't be able to dunk tomorrow, though.  And racism will still be a thing too.

Username

• Administrator

I can draw a picture of me making out with the Virgin Mary.  But that doesn't make it true.  An artist's depiction of an idea doesn't make the idea in question exist.  If it did, I would draw myself into being a world-famous super-athlete/genius who solves racism with a but a word.

Pretty sure I still won't be able to dunk tomorrow, though.  And racism will still be a thing too.
You seem to be arguing a point I already conceded. I said its unlikely.

However you are arguing it most poorly. The image is based off an account. http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k408619m

He did not bring anybody because he was searching for Eden. Nobody claimed that since somebody drew something based off his account that it was true. I don't understand where you come up with this ludicrous arguments.

You seem to be arguing a point I already conceded. I said its unlikely.

However you are arguing it most poorly. The image is based off an account. http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k408619m

He did not bring anybody because he was searching for Eden. Nobody claimed that since somebody drew something based off his account that it was true. I don't understand where you come up with this ludicrous arguments.

Fair enough, that was a crude argument.  I was trying to suggest that an artist's depiction of a thing doesn't make it real.  Like Saint George slaying the dragon.  Or Leonardo's various theoretical flying contraptions. 

Matter dropped, good sir.

You are asking us to perform a feat very few have done and many died attempting, and you are acting like its a walk in the park. You are being completely ridiculous.

I'm not suggesting it's easy, but the 'burden of proof' falls squarely in the hands of the FE ers at this point.

If a flat earth is to be proven, then at some point, someone will have to step and and go the distance.
The opportunity is very available. Nobody is forbidden from exploring the Antarctic.

it is a firmament..

a couple things that need to be considered. .

1. most people who "cross" antarctica travel the peninsula.. ross sea to the weddell sea..

the reason why you can't cross antarctica is the same as why no one passes through the atmosphere into space..

pressure.. cold air causes pressure.. top of a mountain is cold and hard to breathe.. why? pressure..

meteor burns up because of pressure..

the "dome" is just symbol.. look at the bigger picture..

there is the earth and seas.. above us the same stars every night.. Birds use the stars to navigate..
the moon is there for a night light.. it controls the tides..
weather and seasons work together.

a simple flight from the north pole to the south pole going north to south would prove a Round earth.
but they can't make that flight.. the fuel would freeze. but just as that is the case they never passed through the atmosphere..

research how many people in NASA say there is no going through the van buren belts alone and you will see..