Flat Earth Petition - Call To Action

• 12 Replies
Flat Earth Petition - Call To Action
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:59:06 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, looks like Mr. Murphy has formulated 12 questions and put those into a nice video, for the NASA people to answer:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I think those questions are legitimate questions that Neil DeGrasse Tyson should anwer.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
Re: Flat Earth Petition - Call To Action
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 05:17:01 AM »
This will get ignored.

And Google "pendulous vanes"  for question 7. There was a mechanism made to fix this exact problem question 7 asks. Question 7 just helped prove a round world, congratulations.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:25:54 AM »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 12:11:08 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this,

Yay! you saw something on the internet!

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:41:13 AM »
Hello Bullwinkle, nice to meet you :)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:35:18 AM »

What's up, buddy?

Typically, a thread begins with a postulate to be debated
or a question to be answered.

Starting a thread with just a link to something you found on the net, without any setup or comment, is just lazy.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:52:09 AM »
All good here :) And thanks for the introduction to the general conduct of posting (no sarcasm). Promise to do better in the future.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
Can you tell us what the 12 questions are? The video was horrible and I didn't want to wait around for him to get to the point.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 04:36:34 AM »
Can you tell us what the 12 questions are? The video was horrible and I didn't want to wait around for him to get to the point.

Sure:

1. Why is there land at the Equator ?
2. Am I able to see the Curvature or not ?
3. Why haven't we ever seen Curved Water ?
4. How are we Breathing right now ?
5. Is the Earth very very small or is the Sun very very near ?
6. How does a convex lens make light diverge ?
7. Why doesn't the Artificial Horizon roll backwards during straight and level flight ?
8. Why is the Coriolis Effect so selective ?
9. What is the international Space Station flying over ?
10. How can microgravity be selective ?
11. Why are there craters on the Moon ?
12. Why don't we see permanent hills, mountains and valleys in the Ocean ?

The video accompanying the questions, can be viewed here:

?

Kami

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
1. The author uses the argument that stone is heavier (e.g. denser) than water and is therefore not pushed outwards by centrifugal force. This is wrong as centrifugal force is proportional to mass and therefore acts on stone as much as on water. As the earth was formed, said stone was liquid, thus there is land at the equator.
2. You are not able to see the actual curvature. You are able to see things vanishing behind the horizon, which is a phenomenon of curvature.
3. Because earth is huge. Also, we have. Raindrops, for starters. Experiments on the ISS (okay, they get denied). I think rabinoz posted a picture of water in a spinning barrel, which sticks to the (curved) wall.
4. Easy: In....Out...In....Out...
Regarding the question: The pressure slowly fades with increasing height, there is no sudden "pressure - no pressure" border. Also, negative pressure does not exist. And the example with the box is comletely wrong, as the air is not sucked in, but pushed in by the outwards air pressure. Therefore the air pressure at a certain height is always exactly high enough that the upwards force caused by pressure difference gets countered by gravity.
5. Neither. Earth is huge, Sun is orders of magnitude bigger and really, really far away. Don't remember the exact question, though, you might want to elaborate.
6. It does not. I think this question is concerning crepuscular rays. The author lies about the explanation, they are explained by perspective. There have been several threads here.
7. See MaNaeSWolf
8. It is not. Don't remember the exact question, though, you might want to elaborate.
9. The earth. Don't remember the exact question, though, you might want to elaborate.
10. It is not. Don't remember the exact question, though, you might want to elaborate.
11. Because of those pesky stones flying through space. The ones that sometimes also hit earth. Don't remember the exact question, though, you might want to elaborate.
12. There are permanent hills, mountains and valleys in the ocean, though they are not noticeable by the naked eye. They have been revealed by satellite observations (those things FE-ers deny). But I think the answer to the author's question is simply that water always stays level.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »

What's up, buddy?

Typically, a thread begins with a postulate to be debated
or a question to be answered.

Starting a thread with just a link to something you found on the net, without any setup or comment, is just lazy.
And stupid.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Symptom

• Bash The Fash
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »
Hoppy knows stupid when he sees it. Because personal experience.
Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 01:49:22 AM »
Watching your video. Why when demonstrating that you have been given different answers you only focus on Q7 and arrange the paperwork so that the difference in answers can't be seen? Strange.

You also want the answers to whatever the questions are to be simple. Not to have big numbers. The problem here is the questions are terribly posed. Example : How are we breathing right now could range from, " we have lungs" up to a long dissertation on the autonomic nervous system and oxygen absorption. What precisely do you want and in what detail?

I looked at the list and saw that , personally, I know the answers to all of them, and I'm not a clever man nor a scientist. I just love learning and the internet allows all of humanity's knowledge to be shared.

I think you are being too harsh. Not everyone recognises the flat earther as a "crazy tinfoil hatted maniac", sometimes people are simply lazy and uneducated. Or perhaps they have cognitive biases?