Turning the wrong way at the ice wall

• 35 Replies
Turning the wrong way at the ice wall
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
This post came up on my Facebook this morning.

Can someone help me here. In a FE discussion at a dinner party (not always a wise idea :P ) someone who is a CSIRO scientist asked me to explain how when viewing a FE map, to circumnavigate antarctica you would reach the ice and turn to port (left) and keep turning to port with the ice on your starboard (right hand) side for a very very very long distance.

However he says he has been on a ship that went around antarctica, they kept the ice on their right (same) but they kept turning to starboard (the right) all the way back to the starting point which was South of Tasmania.

I was a bit out of my depth on how to rebutt this. Can anyone explain in clear English with no links or images so I can recreate it?

That is a really good point, if the Earth was flat and you kept the ice to your right, you should be constantly turning left, but that doesn't happen.

On a globe Earth you would constantly turn right, which is what happens.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:30:04 PM by yobbo »

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
Re: Turning the wrong way at the ice wall
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
Simple. The earth is round. Next.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »
Simple. The earth is round. Next.

Dude it's not that simple. I'm sure some Flat Earther will come up with an explanation.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »
The ice is made of special molecules that are strong enough to bend light and time so it looks like you're going around it but actually it just makes you go faster around the edges and make you reach the other side of the earth quicker.

edit:

here's a picture of the special molecule
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:12:27 PM by gasfornuisje »

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
The ice is made of special molecules that are strong enough to bend light and time so it looks like you're going around it but actually it just makes you go faster around the edges and make you reach the other side of the earth quicker.

edit:

LOL Mustard Gas

Pugs

• Agnostic of Flat/Round Earth.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »

edit:

LOL Mustard Gas

Actually, In this case, the polar ice is actually condensed and frozen "mustard gas" which releases antihistamines that produce the visual sensation of a curve. Seeing has this is a untoxic state of being, the Polar Ice is completely harmless due to the Svenson-Sarbek law proposed by Diego Lisboa in 1638.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »
LOL Mustard Gas

Yes, in WW1 the Germans harvested it from the ice wall and used its light bending properties to blind enemies and used its ability to bend time to make their cells die of old age really quickly if you don't believe me go look it up.

Pugs

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
LOL Mustard Gas

Yes, in WW1 the Germans harvested it from the ice wall and used its light bending properties to blind enemies and used its ability to bend time to make their cells die of old age really quickly if you don't believe me go look it up.
This was proven in a study by Professor Kevin Welsh last year

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
LOL Mustard Gas

That's actually hilarious. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

Pugs

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
LOL Mustard Gas

There is nothing funny about using the Ice wall in all of it's mysticy to hurt others!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
However he says he has been on a ship that went around antarctica,
They were navigating around a large island.  That is how the illusion is maintained. 

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »

Can you show me the abstract? And he's a professor from which university?

Actually, In this case, the polar ice is actually condensed and frozen "mustard gas" which releases antihistamines that produce the visual sensation of a curve. Seeing has this is a untoxic state of being, the Polar Ice is completely harmless due to the Svenson-Sarbek law proposed by Diego Lisboa in 1638.

Now who is this Diego Lisboa guy? And what is Svenson-Sarbek law? Why not explaining it further?

I actually tried to google it, and the weirdest thing just happened. The first entry for "Diego Lisboa" 1638 came from your post:

When I searched Svenson-Sarbek, your post is also the first entry:

And when I searched "Svenson-Sarbek" (with quotations), your post is the only entry:

However, after showing that one omitted entry, something interesting came up. Nope, just kidding, it is also your post:

You see, I kinda get the impression that you are just making up those names as you go along. But let's not bother, why not throwing in some more fake names to keep your sh*t together?

Pugs

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »

Can you show me the abstract? And he's a professor from which university?

Now who is this Diego Lisboa guy? And what is Svenson-Sarbek law? Why not explaining it further?

I actually tried to google it, and the weirdest thing just happened. The first entry for "Diego Lisboa" 1638 came from your post:

When I searched Svenson-Sarbek, your post is also the first entry:

And when I searched "Svenson-Sarbek" (with quotations), your post is the only entry:

However, after showing that one omitted entry, something interesting came up. Nope, just kidding, it is also your post:

You see, I kinda get the impression that you are just making up those names as you go along. But let's not bother, why not throwing in some more fake names to keep your sh*t together?
Probably because these are <1700's researches done on paper in switzerland? You must be literate and not using the internet for everything you disprove, m'dere watson

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
Probably because these are <1700's researches done on paper in switzerland? You must be literate and not using the internet for everything you disprove, m'dere watson
Oh, right, that explains Professor Kevin Welsh too.

Oh wait, he's from last year, isn't he? How did he manage to vanish too?

The only thing I can find is this one:

It might be a typo though, because meteorology expert form University of Melbourne with similar name is this guy

And he's not a professor yet.

So yeah, which "Professor Kevin Welsh" are you talking about?

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
LOL Mustard Gas

There is nothing funny about using the Ice wall in all of its mystery to hurt others!

No, but thinking that mustard gas has space- and time-bending properties and that it is found and harvested from the "ice wall" is extremely hilarious. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
That's true he could have been navigating around a part that was sticking out
Confirmed trolls to ignore:
Mousewalker-Denies fisheye lenses used in videos
Sokarul-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens
Definitely not official-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
That's true he could have been navigating around a part that was sticking out

He didn't navigate around a part sticking out. He circumnavigated the whole thing. And kept turning right while having the ice on his right hand side.

According to flat earth he should have been turning left.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »
Tell your CSIRO scientist buddy to stop making up stories, IMO!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
How long did this voyage take?
Confirmed trolls to ignore:
Mousewalker-Denies fisheye lenses used in videos
Sokarul-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens
Definitely not official-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »

What reason do you have to believe he's making the story up? Because it doesn't agree with your world view?

I think the standard FE response to any assertion someone makes about RE is something to the effect of "have you actually witnessed this event yourself?" So to that, I say: have you ever navigated around the entirety of Antarctica yourself to have any basis to assume the original story to be a lie?

Flat Earthers are already dismissing any kind of scientific evidence presented as lies and conspiracy, demanding people perform experiments and report results themselves. Now you are going to tell me that someone actually going out and taking a boat around Antarctica and taking note of the fact that their path was in agreement with RE also isn't good enough?

Scientific evidence is off the table. Anecdotal evidence is also apparently off the table. What's that leave? If I meditate on the shape of the Earth, have an out-of-body experience, and my power animal reveals the shape of the Earth to me, can I submit that as evidence?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 01:34:04 AM »

edit:

LOL Mustard Gas
;D ;D So that's how the stormtroopers keep everyone out.   ;D ;D

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:43 AM »
Oh, right, that explains Professor Kevin Welsh too.

Oh wait, he's from last year, isn't he? How did he manage to vanish too?

The only thing I can find is this one:

It might be a typo though, because meteorology expert form University of Melbourne with similar name is this guy

And he's not a professor yet.

So yeah, which "Professor Kevin Welsh" are you talking about?
Nah, probably means Dr Kevin Welsh ::) ::) Professor Kevin Welsh, UQ - UQ doesn't award Professorships as easily as some place.

But, to be honest I think Professor Kevin Welsh is about as genuine as Pugs!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »

What reason do you have to believe he's making the story up? Because it doesn't agree with your world view?

I think the standard FE response to any assertion someone makes about RE is something to the effect of "have you actually witnessed this event yourself?" So to that, I say: have you ever navigated around the entirety of Antarctica yourself to have any basis to assume the original story to be a lie?

Flat Earthers are already dismissing any kind of scientific evidence presented as lies and conspiracy, demanding people perform experiments and report results themselves. Now you are going to tell me that someone actually going out and taking a boat around Antarctica and taking note of the fact that their path was in agreement with RE also isn't good enough?

Scientific evidence is off the table. Anecdotal evidence is also apparently off the table. What's that leave? If I meditate on the shape of the Earth, have an out-of-body experience, and my power animal reveals the shape of the Earth to me, can I submit that as evidence?
You forgot the bit that any photo that seems to provide the slightest evidence for a flat earth is automatically genuine.
Whereas any photo that seems to indicate a Globe is either a fake can be twisted to somehow prove a disk shaped flat earth.

Give me Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" any day, at least it is internally consistent. Every flat earther, from Geranium up to Hoppy seems have different ideas on how it works!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »

Dude, he showed up here during an "invasion" he has a convenient "CSIRO scientist" pal who he happened to talk to about the flat earth at a dinner party... Do you have any idea how many times people have come to this forum with a similar story? Claiming to be astronauts, or pilots, or famous authors, or whatever.  It's not this person being RE that makes me doubt his story, it's that it reeks of bullshit.

This is just friendly advice, which you do not have to take (obviously). If you like this forum, no matter which side of the argument you take, learn to recognize when people come here to troll all of us. They don't care if you are RE or FE. The less observant ones assume everyone is FE, anyway.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »
yobbo's post might have showed up during an invasion, but the account seems to have been active since last November. Making several posts about evidence supporting a round Earth. Granted, there are some committed long-term trolls on this site, but the OP's posts don't exactly read like troll posts (I took a quick peek, admittedly not a comprehensive study).

Am I a troll? I was posting during the invasion, and I hadn't posted to very much prior to that. But if having the unfortunate timing of posting during a troll offensive makes one a troll, I must fit the bill too.

I did see a poster claiming to be a famous author. It was really amazing. Another new poster was ranting and raving, mentioned this author's very-hard-to-find book, and suddenly the author showed up and began posting right on queue. Maybe if I just mention David Attenborough's name, he'll show up and say some neat things for us. David? Are you out there?

Anyway, yobbo raised a perfectly valid point and it's one that doesn't need to rely on verifying whether there is or is not a CSIRO scientist that he knows who actually made the journey. Jon Sanders did it twice in 1981 and 1982. There's a yacht race called the Antarctica cup. If Antarctica was actually the ice wall and circumnavigating it worked differently than yobbo described, it seems strange... dare I say, impossible?... that it could have been hidden so well for so long.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
yobbo's post might have showed up during an invasion, but the account seems to have been active since last November. Making several posts about evidence supporting a round Earth. Granted, there are some committed long-term trolls on this site, but the OP's posts don't exactly read like troll posts (I took a quick peek, admittedly not a comprehensive study).

Am I a troll? I was posting during the invasion, and I hadn't posted to very much prior to that. But if having the unfortunate timing of posting during a troll offensive makes one a troll, I must fit the bill too.

I did see a poster claiming to be a famous author. It was really amazing. Another new poster was ranting and raving, mentioned this author's very-hard-to-find book, and suddenly the author showed up and began posting right on queue. Maybe if I just mention David Attenborough's name, he'll show up and say some neat things for us. David? Are you out there?

Anyway, yobbo raised a perfectly valid point and it's one that doesn't need to rely on verifying whether there is or is not a CSIRO scientist that he knows who actually made the journey. Jon Sanders did it twice in 1981 and 1982. There's a yacht race called the Antarctica cup. If Antarctica was actually the ice wall and circumnavigating it worked differently than yobbo described, it seems strange... dare I say, impossible?... that it could have been hidden so well for so long.

I didn't bother to check his profile, but that doesn't matter. You insinuated that calling bullshit on his story was some kind of standard FE response to anything that doesn't agree with the FE world view. You asked me what reason I had to think he was making the story up, and I gave it. 

I don't think you are a troll, because you argue in a straightforward manner. I have read several of your posts, and you seem like a nice person. There are several REers I think are great additions to the forum.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
There's a yacht race called the Antarctica cup. If Antarctica was actually the ice wall and circumnavigating it worked differently than yobbo described, it seems strange... dare I say, impossible?... that it could have been hidden so well for so long.

Actually the Antarctica cup is good proof of globe Earth. The equator is 21,600 NM. The Antarctica cup only covers a distance of 14,000 NM. If the race was held on a flat Earth, shouldn't the distance around the edge be a lot longer?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
Yes! It should be much longer AND the people in the yachts should be turning in the opposite direction.

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
However he says he has been on a ship that went around antarctica,
They were navigating around a large island.  That is how the illusion is maintained.

Can you point out this large island on a map? The one they get people to sail around to keep the illusion going?

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
Can you point out this large island on a map? The one they get people to sail around to keep the illusion going?

I bet it looks something like this (ignore the text in the middle, that's probably NASA propaganda anyway):