"Null Hypothesis" webpage and FE reference

• 2 Replies
"Null Hypothesis" webpage and FE reference
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
Just stumbled upon this today while touching up on statistics. I saw a term I didn't recognize, "null hypothesis", and followed the link.
http://www.statisticshowto.com/what-is-the-null-hypothesis/

Turns out that. . .
1. The concept itself is highly relevant to FE discussion. According to the concept of the null(-ifiable) hypothesis, if something is wrong it can be disproved; if an idea is to be replaced, it must be disproved. This itself is debated often by FEers (who must (dis)prove what).
2. The article's author used the Flat Earth Society as an example of failure to adequately establish one's ideas.

Just thought I'd post it here.
Quote from: jroa
Wow, great non-response
Quote from: disputeone
I don't understand females but am still pretty sure they exist.
Quote from: markjo
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

disputeone

• Or should I?
Re: "Null Hypothesis" webpage and FE reference
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
The short answer is, as a scientist, you are required to; It’s part of the scientific process. Science uses a battery of processes to prove or disprove theories, making sure than any new hypothesis has no flaws. Including both a null and an alternate hypothesis is one safeguard to ensure your research isn’t flawed. Not including the null hypothesis in your research is considered very bad practice by the scientific community. If you set out to prove an alternate hypothesis without considering it, you are likely setting yourself up for failure. At a minimum, your experiment will likely not be taken seriously.

Very applicable, good find.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: "Null Hypothesis" webpage and FE reference
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:16 AM »
Unless of course you are talking about aether. In which case a null-hypothesis was all they needed to throw it to the dirt. Thanks Michelson-Morely.

In reality, there are no rules to science and no method. This can be seen through historical record fairly easily. Anything goes.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.