Water always finds its level

• 113 Replies
?

frenat

Re: Water always finds its level
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »

Or drive a car at 60 mph and make a turn with a radius of 20 feet and compare it to the same speed as a turn with a radius of 200 feet.  Would they feel the same?
Nice try!
So you can't answer it?  The point is that speed is only part of the equation.  Did you pay attention when the math was shown that had BOTH the speed and the distance?  If you don't agree with the math then show how it is wrong.  Just saying "OHmagerd!!1!!111!! it's fast!" won't really get you very far.

Nice try
60 mph- 20feet
600mph- 200 feet
And what's your point here?  My example said the SAME speed.  Would they feel the same?  You appear to think that the distance doesn't matter.  Why is that?

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »
Now try it this way.
I swing a rope 6,371 km long in a circle with you hanging on to the other end. Because it is so long I will need  to be swinging you at 1,600 kph to complete one revolution in 24 hours.
You will not be able to hang on because in this example centrifugal force will not be imaginary.
I reckon that's case closed.
And having accelerated to 1,600kph out at the end of that rope (I'll just guess that the person is in a pressurized suit and there is almost no air, unless the air is moving the same speed, your call), how much 'centrifugal force' will they experience at .0007 rpm?

Not much you say?  (Seeing as you claim to understand RPM, centripetal, and centrifugal force)  I reckon that's case closed.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
@tappet
How would you calculate the centrfugal force for the Earth then since you don't seem to agree with the math that has been presented?
I do not need to. Life experience has shown me that a rotational speed of 1,600 kph is very fast.
Somebody trying to tell me rotational speed has no effect on centrifugal force is actually quite funny

Really?

Whatever "Life experience" have YOU had that has shown you "that a rotational speed of 1,600 kph is very fast"?

What is the fastest you have ever travelled? The best I can claim is a ground speed of a bit over 1,000 kph at about 30,000 m altitude.

And to be completely honest there was absolutely NO indication that I was travelling at that sort of speed - a bit of engine and other noise, but no feeling of movement at all.

I AM NOT saying "rotational speed has no effect on centrifugal force".
But first, what do you mean by "rotational speed"? The surface speed of the earth is about 1,670 kph, the rotational speed is one revolution in a bit under 24 hours or about 0.0007 rpm.

The centrifugal force depends on the (mass of the object) x (surface speed squared) / radius.
So certainly depends on the surface speed (465.5 m/s), but also the radius (6,384 km or 6,384,000 m).

The radius is so large that the centrifugal force is quite unnoticeable.
Nice Bolding
Meaningless comment!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
Think about the last time you put your hand in water.

OK.

You pulled it out.

Let's assume that is true.

Was it wet only on the top?

Was what wet only on the top?

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
As ever. Drifting off topic.

Post a model of water curving.
It is easy to make water deviate from a straight line.
One way is to put it into tank and spin the tank smoothly, as in this video " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Centrifugal Force on Rotating Water Container.

Of course you will say that the water in that tank is not only subject to the downward acceleration of gravity (or whatever you choose to call it), but to an additional acceleration due its  rotation. EXACTLY! The nett acceleration is not in a single direction anymore and the surface aligns itself at right angles to this nett acceleration at each location, as illustrated below:

Rotating Water Curving

Now, please understand that the only reason I am showing this it to demonstrate that the surface of water need not be "straight". It simply depends on the local acceleration, here gravity (down) and centrifugal acceleration (outwards). So, at the outside edge the surface of the water is at about 45° to the horizontal.
I am not suggesting that the rotation of the earth holds the oceans in place, it most certainly does not.

There are other examples such as in eddies and whirlpools, where again an acceleration due to rotation is involved.

But, there is no way to do a table-top experiment of gravitation causing curving - any local effects are simply swamped by the immensely more massive earth very closeby.

"There are other examples such as in eddies and whirlpools, where again an acceleration due to rotation is involved."

In your picture, such a whirlpool can be seen near the middle arrow. If the Earth were rotating, it would also have a whirlpool at the North Pole. But there is none. 'Cause the Earth is not rotating.

If the Earth were rotating, the Gulfstream would flow westward. In reality, it goes eastward - to Europe. Because the Earth is not rotating.

If the Earth were rotating, its crust would be flopping a couple of feet twice a day, at more than 400 m/s near equator. Imagine the earthquakes and volcano eruptions due to that. Fortunately, it does not happen.

Because the Earth is not rotating. Besides, it is flat.
 8)
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »

One way is to put it into tank and spin the tank smoothly, as in this video " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Centrifugal Force on Rotating Water Container.

Of course you will say that the water in that tank is not only subject to the downward acceleration of gravity (or whatever you choose to call it), but to an additional acceleration due its  rotation. EXACTLY! The nett acceleration is not in a single direction anymore and the surface aligns itself at right angles to this nett acceleration at each location, as illustrated below:

Rotating Water Curving

Now, please understand that the only reason I am showing this it to demonstrate that the surface of water need not be "straight". It simply depends on the local acceleration, here gravity (down) and centrifugal acceleration (outwards). So, at the outside edge the surface of the water is at about 45° to the horizontal.
I am not suggesting that the rotation of the earth holds the oceans in place, it most certainly does not.

There are other examples such as in eddies and whirlpools, where again an acceleration due to rotation is involved.

But, there is no way to do a table-top experiment of gravitation causing curving - any local effects are simply swamped by the immensely more massive earth very closeby.

"There are other examples such as in eddies and whirlpools, where again an acceleration due to rotation is involved."

In your picture, such a whirlpool can be seen near the middle arrow. If the Earth were rotating, it would also have a whirlpool at the North Pole. But there is none. 'Cause the Earth is not rotating.

If the Earth were rotating, the Gulfstream would flow westward. In reality, it goes eastward - to Europe. Because the Earth is not rotating.

If the Earth were rotating, its crust would be flopping a couple of feet twice a day, at more than 400 m/s near equator. Imagine the earthquakes and volcano eruptions due to that. Fortunately, it does not happen.

8)

And you call yourself a scientist. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
Nobody can hang onto a rope traveling at 1,600 kph, not even with their teeth.
Acceleration is irrelevant in this situation.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you are giving examples of math theory not matching reality.

So, if I were to travel in an airplane going that quickly, I can't bend myself forward to reach the controls? Ridiculous.
Now you are talking about acceleration.
Try again.
You really do not understand centrifugal force do you?
You really do not understand F=ma, do you?

And yes, I do in fact understand centrifugal force. The others even did the math on it. YOU are stating that you cannot hold on to the rope because of it's VELOCITY, and you say that the acceleration (in this case, going around in a circle) does not matter. Because of that, you are implying that if you were to travel straight with the same velocity, you'd still be subjected to the same force (or acceleration according to F=ma). Which means jet pilots should not be able to bend forwards to reach the controls, or only be able to do so with much difficulty. And WHERE do you have a life experience of an object going at 1600 kph? In a huge circle and/or straight forward?
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »

Rotating Water Curving

8)

You claim "If the Earth were rotating, it would also have a whirlpool at the North Pole." Why?
You claim "If the Earth were rotating, the Gulfstream would flow westward." Why?
You claim "If the Earth were rotating, its crust would be flopping a couple of feet twice a day, at more than 400 m/s near equator" Why?

Besides, all I said about rotation was "I am not suggesting that the rotation of the earth holds the oceans in place". Hardly justification for your hideously unscientific outburst.

"Humble_Scientist" clearly neither "Humble" nor "Scientist"!
Maybe you should study up on science, then read the book "Humility and How I Achieved it" by C. Neal Davis.
You are talking complete rubbish, unless you can justify your outlandish claims with some real science!

?

tappet

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
Which means jet pilots should not be able to bend forwards to reach the controls,
Why do you keep trying to bring acceleration into the debate?
I am talking about doing a left hand turn at a constant speed of 1,600 kph.
Comparing that to doing a left hand turn of 0 kph.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:17:23 PM by tappet »

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2016, 11:43:57 PM »

How long have you believed you can move without moving? or are you asking from a zen POV?, I guess it would only makes sense to someone trying to do science without ever having opened a book on science.

Can I join in? What is the sound of one hand clapping?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:45:30 PM by SkepticMike »
Turkish joke. A prisoner goes to the jail's library to borrow a book. The librarian says: "We don't have this book, but we have its author"

?

tappet

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2016, 11:58:31 PM »

How long have you believed you can move without moving? or are you asking from a zen POV?, I guess it would only makes sense to someone trying to do science without ever having opened a book on science.

Of coarse you can join in. With the examples of funnies you just tried to crack, absolutely!
Hey, whats a zen POV?
Also for your benefit we will walk a little distance from the north pole until we reach a speed of 1 kph to do our left hand turn. Hopefully now there is no confusion for you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:05:58 AM by tappet »

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:40 AM »
Which means jet pilots should not be able to bend forwards to reach the controls,
What if the left hand turn is so big that it's basically like going in a straight line for many kilometers, then changing your course 1°, then repeating?

AND THIS IS ALL ABOUT ACCELERATION. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON YOU FEEL ANY CENTRIFUGAL FORCE.

Have you already forgotten this:

To you 1,000 mph looks fast, but the earth is huge, and rotates only once in about 23.93 hours - that's not fast.

And a tennis ball rotating once in about 29.93 hours - that's not fast.
And if the earth was 10 times as big and rotates once in about 23.93 hours - that's not fast.
You can not go fast. ??? ??? ???
You can go fast. Rotate the earth at 1 rpm. That's fast. Rotating once per 23.93 hours is not fast. It's so little our brains can't even comprehend it. Why would the size matter? RPM is RPM. If a car goes at 1km/h that's not fast, neither is a tennis ball going that fast. Or a human.

You are right, math is math is math and I am not very good at it.
So if the earth was 10 times as big and rotates once in 29.93 hours how fast do you think it would be spinning at the equator, in MPH?

Why would that matter? Probably the equatorial velocity would be 10x greater, assuming you meant that the diameter of the earth was 10x greater. Velocity =/= force. Change in velocity = force. Velocity is a unit with two components, a size and a direction. Changing either makes a force. If you increase rpm, you increase how many degrees you change you direction by every second. This is a force. If you increase the size of a sphere you increase how much speed you have to "trade" (if you turn 90° with a certain speed and keep the same speed, then you will have a higher force the greater that speed is) which increases force, but you will decrease how many degrees you change your velocity with every second, which decreases the force. Increase and decrease cancel each other out, so nothing changes.

Or simply: You cannot feel your speed. Ever.
Can you answer the question in MPH?
If the speed is normally 1000 mph, then that times ten is 10000 mph.
!0,000 mph is still not fast enough to feel anything? ???
What part of "Never, ever" is it that you don't quite understand? Do you feel how fast you are going when you are in a train? No. You can feel when it accelerates, brakes and turns, but you don't feel anything when it's going in a straight line (except from the occasional bumping/shaking, nothing is perfect).

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
Hey, whats a zen POV?

Zen point of view. The "one hand clapping" is an infamous zen riddle, a bit like moving at 0kph  ;D
Turkish joke. A prisoner goes to the jail's library to borrow a book. The librarian says: "We don't have this book, but we have its author"

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2016, 12:25:14 AM »
What if the left hand turn is so big that it's basically like going in a straight line for many kilometers, then changing your course 1°, then repeating?

But it isn't, so why mention it?

THIS IS ALL ABOUT ACCELERATION.

Again, it isn't.

Seems tappet's really got your knickers in a twist with this one.

Lulzy stuff...

I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

?

tappet

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2016, 12:45:36 AM »

Again, it isn't.

He nearly had me convinced that when I do a 400m run in my drag car it was centrifugal force throwing me back into the seat and you feel acceleration when you turn.
Cheeky bugger!

« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »

Also for your benefit we will walk a little distance from the north pole until we reach a speed of 1 kph to do our left hand turn. Hopefully now there is no confusion for you.

Not sure yet, going to have to do some math to work out what radius the slice of earth would be at 1kph first. Either way the result would be somewhere in the order .03 N of centripetal force for a 1kg object.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:50:21 AM by SkepticMike »

?

tappet

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2016, 12:48:14 AM »

Not sure yet, going to have to do some math to work out what the radius the earth would be at 1kph first.
Just use F=ma, you cant go wrong.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2016, 01:21:57 AM »

Again, it isn't.

He nearly had me convinced that when I do a 400m run in my drag car it was centrifugal force throwing me back into the seat and you feel acceleration when you turn.
Cheeky bugger!

Wait, you thought I said that? Lol.

Yes, you feel acceleration when you turn. This acceleration translates to a force according to F=ma.

When in doubt; sources!

?

tappet

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

You did. Only it was not a drag car it was jet pilots.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 01:34:30 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.

When in doubt; sources!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2016, 01:36:07 AM »
Duh #1 Doing a left turn at 1,600 kph requires acceleration. That is exactly what "centripetal acceleration is".

Duh #2 How could you possibly do a turn at 0 kph. You would never get there!

Bit of advice. Put brain into gear before moving fingers to type a post.

?

tappet

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
Go back and read your own posts.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2016, 01:43:46 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Well, he kind of has a point about acceleration; but he's using it to confuse the issue.

Mixing up maximum velocity & constant velocity with acceleration, & abusing the term 'force', is how these Clowns magic up a lot of their nonsense.

For example getting their 'shpayze-rokkitz' to exceed the maximum velocity of their exhausts in order to achieve their mythical 'escape velocity'.

As for the earth spinning, there are only two logical options:

1: It does not spin at all.

2: It spins far more slowly than we are told & the heavens are far closer & smaller than we are told.

As the behaviour of tiny, harmless & eternally unchanging lights in the sky is not of great interest to me, I am indifferent to which of these options is correct.

Oh, & STFU, Geoff.
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

?

tappet

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2016, 01:44:56 AM »

Duh #2 How could you possibly do a turn at 0 kph. You would never get there!

We changed it to 1 kph a while back. Just so the mungo's would not get confused.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2016, 01:44:56 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
I have. Couldn't find where I said you experience centrifugal force when accelerating along a straight path, liar.

When in doubt; sources!

?

tappet

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:54 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
I have. Couldn't find where I said you experience centrifugal force when accelerating along a straight path, liar.
You said the jet pilots would not be able to reach the controls.

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2016, 01:54:06 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
No, I said that If you were right in that speed is the only major cause for centrifugal force, and that it does not matter how large the turn is, then it would not matter if it was straight, and therefore a jet pilot could not reach forwards to the controls. I did not say that when you accelerate forwards you feel centrifugal force, liar.

When in doubt; sources!

?

tappet

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2016, 02:02:34 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
No, I said that If you were right in that speed is the only major cause for centrifugal force, and that it does not matter how large the turn is, then it would not matter if it was straight, and therefore a jet pilot could not reach forwards to the controls. I did not say that when you accelerate forwards you feel centrifugal force, liar.
Oh I get it now, when I mentioned the drag car/centrifugal force you could not see I was taking the piss.
Go back and read it again.

"Taking the piss is a Commonwealth term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff".

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2016, 02:06:13 AM »

Again, it isn't.

Cheeky bugger!

Wow. Lying. That's low.
Oh I get it now, when I mentioned the drag car/centrifugal force you could not see I was taking the piss.
Go back and read it again.

"Taking the piss is a Commonwealth term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff".
I can't see being being a liar is part of the definition.

When in doubt; sources!

?

tappet

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:21 AM »
Ok, you didn't say centrifugal force throws me back in my drag car seat. Sorry. :'(
But you are right I am a liar, I have admitted it on this very forum in the past.
That does not change the fact you are living on a round ball fantasy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:13:03 AM by tappet »