How would gravity work if the earth was flat?

• 47 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: How would gravity work if the earth was flat?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
If the planets act according to what we predict about gravity, proving that it exists, then earth must obey the same law. The universe is run by a republic. The law is supreme.

That is a big IF.  In fact, I would say that your statement is an example of circular reasoning.

There are other ways to prove the existence of gravity.

Go ahead and prove away.  I am all ears.

It's been proven many times.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=65775.0

You linked to a post on the flat Earth society in which the OP talks about air pressure, not gravity.  Is this really the proof that you want to present for the existence of gravity?

Ok then. How come I'm lighter on top of a mountain but heavier at sea level if we are under UA?

Are you lighter?  I suppose I will just have to take your word for it, just as you took someone else's word for it.  Perhaps you can dig up some Empirical Evidence instead of Hypothetical Evidence?  That would be great.

It's an experiment you can prove yourself. Weigh yourself at sea level and then weigh yourself on a mountain. Besides if gravity doesn't exist then how do you explain the planets? What type of force they have? Another thing is if UA exists then planes and birds can't take off. The earth would smack up on the plane.

I almost religiously weigh myself daily.  I moved from the Georgia Coast (<300') to the North Carolina mountains (>3000') last year, and did not notice even the slightest change in my weight.  Perhaps you can find some real evidence next?  I would actually really like to see this "Proof" that you were going on about earlier. 

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
I wouldn't waste my time "proving" anything to jroa. When HE does something like weighing himself, THAT is real - you should accept it. Anything YOU present will be "fake" - not accepted. See how he handles responses from people: (https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66686.30)
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
I almost religiously weigh myself daily.  I moved from the Georgia Coast (<300') to the North Carolina mountains (>3000') last year, and did not notice even the slightest change in my weight.  Perhaps you can find some real evidence next?  I would actually really like to see this "Proof" that you were going on about earlier.
That's not a significant enough height difference to make a difference in weight that would be noticeable on a plain old bathroom scale.

What I'm getting at with a mountain is that hanging a weight from a rod stuck into the surface near a mountain will cause the weight to deflect towards the mountain. That is, the mountain itself is attracting the mass of the weight--from the side. Why? That is my challenge to you, sir.
  • Could be attraction of masses. Science suggests this to be true. Why couldn't it be true?
  • Couldn't be universal acceleration, the experiment proves that objects don't just accelerate "down", there's something more to it.
I'd have to say it's gravity based on the geometry of the downward force on the pendulum and my
Quote from: jroa
Wow, great non-response
Quote from: disputeone
I don't understand females but am still pretty sure they exist.
Quote from: markjo
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »

I would presume that gravity does not exist.  Next question please.

The other planets clearly have moons, and the downward force that most attribute to gravity grows stronger near ore deposits and deflects pendulums toward mountains (Schiehallion experiment). There's debate as to the accuracy of the measurements, but the fact that there were any measurements to take doesn't seem to fit well with universal acceleration.

Here is my question, oh wise Addresser of Content, Prover of Claims, Omniscient Sage of Science--pray do tell, why do these things observably continue to be?

Perhaps the Earth is not a planet?

This doesn't mean you don't have to explain why the planets have moons that rotate around them. In general, FE is just a massive "Don't ask why it is, it just is".
It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Who wants to be a firefly and who wants to be a blue whale?
-Sceptimatic

Please do not jizz to win an argument.
-Crutonius

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from.
-Inty (again)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »

The other planets clearly have moons, and the downward force that most attribute to gravity grows stronger near ore deposits and deflects pendulums toward mountains (Schiehallion experiment). There's debate as to the accuracy of the measurements, but the fact that there were any measurements to take doesn't seem to fit well with universal acceleration.

Here is my question, oh wise Addresser of Content, Prover of Claims, Omniscient Sage of Science--pray do tell, why do these things observably continue to be?

Perhaps the Earth is not a planet?

This doesn't mean you don't have to explain why the planets have moons that rotate around them. In general, FE is just a massive "Don't ask why it is, it just is".

Considering that this thread is about gravity on Earth, then yes, I don't have to explain anything about the planets and moons to you. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
That's not a significant enough height difference to make a difference in weight that would be noticeable on a plain old bathroom scale.

What I'm getting at with a mountain is that hanging a weight from a rod stuck into the surface near a mountain will cause the weight to deflect towards the mountain. That is, the mountain itself is attracting the mass of the weight--from the side. Why? That is my challenge to you, sir.
  • Could be attraction of masses. Science suggests this to be true. Why couldn't it be true?
  • Couldn't be universal acceleration, the experiment proves that objects don't just accelerate "down", there's something more to it.
I'd have to say it's gravity based on the geometry of the downward force on the pendulum and my

Luke is the one who said I should perform this simple experiment: weigh myself at sea level and weigh myself on a mountain.  I explained that I already have done that.  If you have a problem with the experiment, then bring it up with the person who proposed it. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:24 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time "proving" anything to jroa. When HE does something like weighing himself, THAT is real - you should accept it. Anything YOU present will be "fake" - not accepted. See how he handles responses from people: (https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66686.30)

You are the most negative person here.  Why don't you just put me on your block list so you don't have to read anything I say and that way I won't have to hear you running around the forum crying about what I said?  That would seem to solve both of our problems.   

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
You are the most negative person here.  Why don't you just put me on your block list so you don't have to read anything I say and that way I won't have to hear you running around the forum crying about what I said?  That would seem to solve both of our problems.
Not really. Just when 2 people took the time to take pictures of Mercury and it corresponded with the math you wanted in Stellarium (math that you said you would do but didn't), you dismissed them. Why should anyone believe anything YOU do. Sucks to have someone disregard what YOU personally do doesn't it?  I don't even believe you did it because you never do anything - you just made it up to argue.

BTW, "your measurements" are totally useless because unless you went from sea-level to the mountains in a few minutes, your body weight would change (eating, drinking, pooping, sweating, what you were wearing, etc.). So your comment is totally useless anyways - not scientific at all.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Luke is the one who said I should perform this simple experiment: weigh myself at sea level and weigh myself on a mountain.  I explained that I already have done that.  If you have a problem with the experiment, then bring it up with the person who proposed it.
I did the math and that change in elevation isn't enough to cause a weight change. So, yes, that experiment isn't quite on par.

<Examples of "gravity". Other planets, mountains>
Considering that this thread is about gravity on Earth, then yes, I don't have to explain anything about the planets and moons to you. 
Given that your entire argument was a presumption that gravity simply doesn't exist, yes, you do have to debunk what we know about gravity, and you also should provide a better explanation.

Are you lighter?  I suppose I will just have to take your word for it, just as you took someone else's word for it.  Perhaps you can dig up some Empirical Evidence instead of Hypothetical Evidence?  That would be great. 
Coming from the person who never provides "empirical evidence", whose hypothetical claims never have evidence, and whose clipped suggestions can rarely even be considered "hypothetical evidence". 
Wow, great non-response
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
Then complain to Luke about his statement being erroneous, not to me.  I am not the one who said I should weigh more on top of a mountain, he did.  Are you really this dumb? 

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »
Then complain to Luke about his statement being erroneous, not to me.  I am not the one who said I should weigh more on top of a mountain, he did.  Are you really this dumb?
I acknowledged his erroneous statement, I didn't complain about it.

So far, you've failed to address any of the actual content of this thread, and have only complained about it. Seeing as it's been demonstrated that you can't provide any meaningful answers to the OP's questions, I'm going to quit wasting my time in this thread. If somebody else actually has something to add to the discussion they can necro it.
Wow, great non-response

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »

So far, you've failed to address any of the actual content of this thread, and have only complained about it. Seeing as it's been demonstrated that you can't provide any meaningful answers to the OP's questions, I'm going to quit wasting my time in this thread. If somebody else actually has something to add to the discussion they can necro it.

Oh, so are are just retarded, are you? 

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »

Luke overestimated the change in gravity. In your scenario where you weighed yourself, you would only loose about 0.03% of your weight, which would not be noticeable on a scale. And to counter that, the decrease in air pressure would make you heavier, and your body naturally changes it's weight over the course of the day by more than that. This experiment should be done with a corrosion-resistant dense and heavy weight, weighed in two different places where one is very close to the equator, and one is far away. Further away from the equator the gravitational field is a little stronger at the ground. Would be good to use a map of earth's gravitational field strength at ground level, and an as accurate scale as feasibly possible.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 01:51:10 AM »

Luke was wrong then. The ratio of r^2 at sea level and r^2 on a mountain would be something like 1.0009... It's not going to cause any easily detectable difference. At that scale, even if you had an extremely accurate device to weigh you, even spitting or sweating too much or wearing a hat would make much more of a difference.
It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Who wants to be a firefly and who wants to be a blue whale?
-Sceptimatic

Please do not jizz to win an argument.
-Crutonius

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from.
-Inty (again)

rabinoz

• Ranters
  • Real Earth Believer
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2016, 01:38:27 AM »

I thought it was against the rules to insult other members, or are you going to claim that "he did it first".
Sorry, I guess I am now guilty too, this time of that terrible crime or "memberating".

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »

I thought it was against the rules to insult other members, or are you going to claim that "he did it first".
Sorry, I guess I am now guilty too, this time of that terrible crime or "memberating".

I am sorry, but did you think that parroting what everyone else says makes you sound smart?  I received a challenge and responded to it.  Next thing I know, you people are treating me like I am the idiot who presented the challenge.  You people must be either really bored, or crap at your shill job.  Have you ever considered a change of job that fits your talents better? 

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Ok I was wrong. I overestimated. However I'm not wrong in principle.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
Ok I was wrong. I overestimated. However I'm not wrong in principle.

I was willing to let it go.  Your brethren had to keep attacking me, as if I was the one who said it.  I like you, and I try not to belittle you.  Your fellow roundies are the ones who just will not let things go.