I give up. I guess I am a Flat Earther now. So what do I do now?

• 47 Replies

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: I give up. I guess I am a Flat Earther now. So what do I do now?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »
Russia for example, doesn't even allow its own citizens to travel freely throughout the country.
Where do you people always get such disinformations? Do you never check your sources?
Actually yes. I have a friend who works in aerospace. He goes to his hotel and surrounding area. He is not allowed to travel freely. He usually has someone watching him. Russia is not the US.

Had a worker that traveled to the Ukraine (has family there). Similar story. His son bought a candy bar. They were stopped for stealing. Luckily they had the receipt. There are other stories.

In the past, you needed permission just to go from one town to another. Rich people just had flunkies get the paperwork. There were checkpoints along the way. If you missed one, you better have a flat tire...

Russia may have loosened up a bit because making movies there brings in hard currency but it is still not free.

Regardless, countries don't want planes or satellites taking pictures. I don't know if Russia or China allow fly-overs...

You said Russian citizens cannot travel freely in their country. Your friend is not a Russian citizen and Ukraine is not a part of Russia.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 01:11:49 AM »
emitted light has a typical spectrum of its temperature at which it is emitted! if we meassure the light of the moon we get the temperature of the sun, if we meassure the temperature of the moon it is much cooler!!! the theroy that moon emitts light by its own is against every law of optical physics that we know. the same laws govern for example your glasfiber internet access or your CD player or just everything with a laser in it..

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2016, 02:32:41 AM »
Russia for example, doesn't even allow its own citizens to travel freely throughout the country.
Where do you people always get such disinformations? Do you never check your sources?
Actually yes. I have a friend who works in aerospace. He goes to his hotel and surrounding area. He is not allowed to travel freely. He usually has someone watching him. Russia is not the US.
Unless he has some kind of visa restriction, then travel is free across Russia.  There is still the odd closed city where foreigners need a permit, but Russians can still travel to them.  I've been to Russia about 8 times now, and to travel somewhere you just get in car or train or whatever and go there - nobody stops you.

Had a worker that traveled to the Ukraine (has family there). Similar story. His son bought a candy bar. They were stopped for stealing. Luckily they had the receipt.
What's that got to do with travel restrictions?  My brother has lived in Ukraine for 7 years now, and I've visited numerous times - we've traveled round quite a bit and there are no restrictions....well, now there are some in the region with a civil war...but that's pretty obvious.

Ukraine barely has a functioning state, who do you think it stopping you from traveling round?

There are other stories.
Are they all as exciting as that one?

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
Okey dokey... So you can travel everywhere in Russia and the Ukraine. Guess I was working from what people I came in contact with said and they provided wrong info. Oh, well...

In my original post though, I doubt the Russian military wants its sites available on Google Earth and such...
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »
In my original post though, I doubt the Russian military wants its sites available on Google Earth and such...
I'd guess not, but there is nothing much they can do about satellite fly overs.  Apart from disguise what's in them, which I'd think they would be doing since aerial reconnaissance was invented.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »
The "phases" of the moon proves nothing, it could still be artificially controlled or have been put in it's orbit artificially. However that is not my argument one way or another, my argument is the moon may well generate it's OWN light, and NOT from the sun. The fact is if it does, then the moon phases has NOTHING to do with that one way or another.
If the moon reflects sunlight, then the phases of the moon is a simple consequence of this. On the other hand, if the moon shines with its own light, then how can you explain the phases in a simple way? Every explanation of the phases in this case will be farfetched and improbable. The simplest explanation of the phases is therefore that the moon shines with reflected sunlight.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
I doubt the Russian military wants its sites available on Google Earth and such....
FYI: There is nothing secret that Google earth can possibly reveal. The USA and other powerful countries have long had detailed information on each others military installations. Not just with the use of spy satellites, but with old school spying.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
I doubt the Russian military wants its sites available on Google Earth and such....
FYI: There is nothing secret that Google earth can possibly reveal. The USA and other powerful countries have long had detailed information on each others military installations. Not just with the use of spy satellites, but with old school spying.
True but Google Earth is for LAYPEOPLE in every country. Governments have their own satellites with much better resolution than Google Earth.

Just an FYI, a conspiracy I believe in... The Hubble Telescope...

Spending $100,000,000's, they didn't test the optics on Earth? I believe this was intentional. They needed to "fix" them later. The results were better than anything on Earth but not what was expected. So they put "glasses" on the telescope and voila! "perfect" vision, better than expected - spectacular images. *I* believe when they switched out the "black box" optics they militarized the telescope. The space shuttle is manned by the military.

The purpose? 1/2 the orbit of the Hubble is on one side of the Earth, when it would be in the sunlight (~1/2 the orbit) or "looking through the Earth", it is not supposed to be used. The military uses it for HD images on the ground during that time. The "black box" simply redirects signals. The astronomers think it is still pointing at a space object when the military uses it for other purposes. That is why its lifetime was extended. Just *my* conspiracy theory.
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »
True but Google Earth is for LAYPEOPLE in every country. Governments have their own satellites with much better resolution than Google Earth.

Spending $100,000,000's, they didn't test the optics on Earth? I believe this was intentional. They needed to "fix" them later. The results were better than anything on Earth but not what was expected. So they put "glasses" on the telescope and voila! "perfect" vision, better than expected - spectacular images. *I* believe when they switched out the "black box" optics they militarized the telescope. The space shuttle is manned by the military.

The purpose? 1/2 the orbit of the Hubble is on one side of the Earth, when it would be in the sunlight (~1/2 the orbit) or "looking through the Earth", it is not supposed to be used. The military uses it for HD images on the ground during that time. The "black box" simply redirects signals. The astronomers think it is still pointing at a space object when the military uses it for other purposes. That is why its lifetime was extended. Just *my* conspiracy theory.

Ahem
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 11:04:01 PM »

It can not. The hubble is designed to look out and away from earth. It can not focus on fast moving objects. It orbits earth at about 550km, at that altitude its moving too fast for the gyroscopes to focus the lense on a moving point below it.
Also, it does not only work when it is on the dark side of the earth, the hubble has a shade cap (not sure about correct terminology) and essentially can look anywhere provided the sun does shine into its lense, which is a lot of directions.
And I am not sure what the point would be, its no secret that the USA, Russia and probably China ext all have satellites with massive lenses capable of reading a book on your patio table. Plus, the military has a budget that NASA could only dream of, the Hubble is a cheap little toy to them.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/32/

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »
was a great article to link, felt it needed a second link
:)

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
was a great article to link, felt it needed a second link
:)

Agreed.  Excellent article, as always.  I wish he made new ones more often. 

Edit:  Found out he just uploaded a new one  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:38:52 AM by Blue_Moon »
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »

It can not. The hubble is designed to look out and away from earth. It can not focus on fast moving objects. It orbits earth at about 550km, at that altitude its moving too fast for the gyroscopes to focus the lense on a moving point below it.
Also, it does not only work when it is on the dark side of the earth, the hubble has a shade cap (not sure about correct terminology) and essentially can look anywhere provided the sun does shine into its lense, which is a lot of directions.
And I am not sure what the point would be, its no secret that the USA, Russia and probably China ext all have satellites with massive lenses capable of reading a book on your patio table. Plus, the military has a budget that NASA could only dream of, the Hubble is a cheap little toy to them.

Given regular data, yes, the Hubble can't track or maneuver fast enough. If those 2 things were overcome, then it probably could.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »

Given regular data, yes, the Hubble can't track or maneuver fast enough. If those 2 things were overcome, then it probably could.

Still, the military would probably use UAVs instead.  Much easier maintenance and better capacity to be weaponized. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:57 PM »
Depends. There is no one silver bullet technology to solve all problems. UAV's can't fly in countries with decent missile defense systems. Then there are different satellite depending on what you are looking for. A satellite looking for a missile launch is different to one looking for radio transmission interception and again different to a high resolution optic satellite. And then again all countries know where your satellites are, they are difficult to hide. So old fashion people on the ground are needed too.
No silver bullet to anything.

What was the topic again?

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »
Depends. There is no one silver bullet technology to solve all problems. UAV's can't fly in countries with decent missile defense systems. Then there are different satellite depending on what you are looking for. A satellite looking for a missile launch is different to one looking for radio transmission interception and again different to a high resolution optic satellite. And then again all countries know where your satellites are, they are difficult to hide. So old fashion people on the ground are needed too.

Dunno.  But Hubble only has an inclination of 28.5°, so it has terrible Earth coverage.  I think we can safely rule out Hubble as a potential spy satellite. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »

Dunno.  But Hubble only has an inclination of 28.5°, so it has terrible Earth coverage.  I think we can safely rule out Hubble as a potential spy satellite.
Well I like its pictures anyways - very pretty... Too bad FEers can't use any of them as they don't believe satellites exist...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:27:19 PM by Jadyyn »