Landing on a barge publically viewable

• 3 Replies
Landing on a barge publically viewable
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
At first, I thought the barge was too off shore for the public to view it, therefore not as easy to prove to skeptics that they're in fact landing a rocket. Skeptics claim any number of things: launching a rocket from sea and putting the reversed video online.

However, you can witness it from land. Perhaps not the whole thing but at least the reentry burn.

http://www.zgrethphoto.com/Learn/Exp/Tut/SpaceX
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Re: Landing on a barge publically viewable
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
Awesome, thank you! Wonder what's the second short and seemingly brighter trail is in the middle (obscured by the tree)?

?

tappet

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 04:13:30 AM »
You never fail to come up with the goods, awesome stuff and thanks for sharing. ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
Awesome, thank you! Wonder what's the second short and seemingly brighter trail is in the middle (obscured by the tree)?
I think you mean the one coming down? That's the first stage 20-second entry burn. The streak across the sky is the second stage burn accelerating to the Geostationary Transfer Orbit.

The first stage comes down at about 4000 miles per hour, then burns for 20 seconds to slow down. Then the eventual landing burn was only 3 seconds, which was not pictured here.

You never fail to come up with the goods, awesome stuff and thanks for sharing. ;)

THank you!  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:09:36 PM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.