What is a kind?

• 26 Replies

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
What is a kind?
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
That came up in the thread/poll about evolution.

Noah is said to have brought two of each kind (hebr min) into the ark. Creationists obviously do not equal min with species. So what is it? How much genetic difference can there be within one and the same kind?

?

Kami

Re: What is a kind?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Is there seriously somebody who believes that this actually happened?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »

Yes, plenty. But not in Europe.

Btw are you German?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »
That came up in the thread/poll about evolution.

Noah is said to have brought two of each kind (hebr min) into the ark. Creationists obviously do not equal min with species. So what is it? How much genetic difference can there be within one and the same kind?

Don't expect too much from a 2000 year old book.

?

Kami

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »

Btw are you German?
How did you know?  ;D

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »

Btw are you German?
How did you know?  ;D

Ich hab da so einen magischen Glaskugel...

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
The purpose of Noah collecting 2 - 7 of every kind is to have a breeding population. So, in this case wouldn't kind mean species?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
The purpose of Noah collecting 2 - 7 of every kind is to have a breeding population. So, in this case wouldn't kind mean species?

Well, obviously. But you cannot get a pair of every recent species in his ark. So creationists generally believe that there was a kind of micreo.evolution after the flood which led to the current diversity. I would guess that most of them would regard jackels and wolves as decending from one pair of Noahian Canids.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »

Well, obviously. But you cannot get a pair of every recent species in his ark. So creationists generally believe that there was a kind of micreo.evolution after the flood which led to the current diversity. I would guess that most of them would regard jackels and wolves as decending from one pair of Noahian Canids.

I guess they have to ignore that Noah release a raven and a dove, not some Noahian version of a bird they both descended from.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »

I guess they have to ignore that Noah release a raven and a dove, not some Noahian version of a bird they both descended from.

Come on, Candy Angel (patronising), there are MANY species of ravens and doves. Faaaail again (nasty)!

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »
JERKFACE  >:(

Interestingly I read a page from an creationist website that also believes in macroevolution, but I've closed it now and it's gone forever. The author pointed out how Biblical kind was almost the same as scientific species, that it falls between species and genus. He said 'almost' because there are species that look the same to the layman, but a scientist would be able to tell the difference. He called this the "Adam test".  Adam identified and named the animals and plants based on their appearance.

ALSO, this is where Candy Angel comes from http://www.joesparks.com/radiskull/

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »
The only one here who could answer this is Luke, but he will not show up. I'm much too nasty with him (and patronising).

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »
The only one here who could answer this is Luke, but he will not show up. I'm much too nasty with him (and patronising).

Luke is boringly obtuse.

pagan_praetor

• Unify FET
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
you're asking this of people who literally believe a blue whale and a tuna fish are the exact same "kind" (fish-kind) but that humans and chimps are wholly, completely separate entities that are separated by more differences than a lion and a tiger are (even though both of those are "cat-kind"). don't expect much

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
Maybe an indirect way of finding an answer is to find out how many kinds were on the ark? I don't know the answer to that question, but perhaps someone else does. If there were, say 50 kinds of animal, then one needs to split out all the animals alive today into 50 categories... but this is certainly far from an explanation of what "kind" means in clear terms. I don't think there can be an answer to that, though, as having a clear definition would mean the beginning of the end for Ken Hamm & co.

Just think how much change must have happened with a bottleneck event like the great flood wiping out everything except what was on the ark. Then, in the last few thousand years, animal diversity could somehow reach the level it is at today, but there is still some sort of mechanism to prevent things from changing between "kind" - like an asymptotic approach to a new kind but the threshold can never be crossed. How could things change so much, and so fast, but it's somehow illogical in the YEC mindset that the "kind" line can never be crossed?

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »
Kind is a term whose meaning drifts insanelly. Ask a YEC about ring species, and get the popcorn ready
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »
That's a really good video, I feel like I know a lot more about kinds now.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
Or less really.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »
Or less really.

True! But i mean I know more about what the YEC are talking about when they say kind.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
I know. I was just being very funny.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
D'oh!

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »
I know. I was just being very funny.

That is very subjective. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
Where is Luke anyway. He needs to comment on ring species immediately!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 01:23:45 AM »
Where is Luke anyway. He needs to comment on ring species immediately!

It takes time for him to cherry pick sentences from his manual
and creatively assign new and obtuse meaning to them.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
Potholer54's follow up on his Ring Species video:

The God of Gaps argument shrinks a little more.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
I'm assuming it was something like this: If they can breed together, they are the same kind.

I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »
I'm assuming it was something like this: If they can breed together, they are the same kind.

Yes. I should have formulated my question more precise. If you have animals of one kind in the time of Noah's ark, which cladistic relationship do the descendants of them have now. Are they of the same species? genus? family? order? Because that species change they generally agree.Baraminology is essential to creationism, but they never say anything about it.