Explain this

• 22 Replies
Explain this
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:06:51 AM »
Say that you are travelling on a plane leaving from the west coast of the United States and going to Japan which if you look at a map is on the far east of it. Say you are travelling due west from California to Japan. Going by flat Earth logic (judging by the layout of all paper maps), heading due west should bring you to the edge of the earth but that doesn't happen, Instead you safely reach Japan. Now after a search of google maps, the quickest route from California to Tokyo is to go west (plus it makes sense so that you're not sat on a plane for like two days). Why can you travel from California to Tokyo without meeting some sort edge to the earth? Because it's fucking round, plain and simple. It would be the same Leaving California heading west, circling the world and landing back where you left. All of this is possible because the earth is round. If you flat earth people are so sure of your belief, please explain to me why this works, how it is possible to make this journey if the earth is supposedly flat?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
Re: Explain this
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:13:19 AM »
The common answer on uninformed questions like this is "Lurk moar"

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 04:14:25 AM »
I think what you are referring to is the usual world map like this one
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-political-map-2000px.jpg

I'm not a flat earth believer, but I'm sure the mostly accepted flat earth by the flat earth believers looks pretty much like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rs8wjZYIEEg/VinyzHEsnAI/AAAAAAAAB4s/oRXi1JJ-kow/s1600/Azimuthal%2BEquidistant%2BProjection.jpg
And from their perspective, if you go to the west from the west coast of the US to Japan you are actually traveling in an arc, always turning right.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:27:52 AM »
I think what you are referring to is the usual world map like this one
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-political-map-2000px.jpg

I'm not a flat earth believer, but I'm sure the mostly accepted flat earth by the flat earth believers looks pretty much like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rs8wjZYIEEg/VinyzHEsnAI/AAAAAAAAB4s/oRXi1JJ-kow/s1600/Azimuthal%2BEquidistant%2BProjection.jpg
And from their perspective, if you go to the west from the west coast of the US to Japan you are actually traveling in an arc, always turning right.

Yeah i was going off the first map you linked. Well even then, going by their map, there should still be an edge shouldn't there? Disk shaped objects have an edge, you would think that in all our thousands of years of existence we should have found an edge right. Thank you sir for the link to the second map, you have informed me of their ways so I will have more information for future debates so as not to make a dick of myself
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:35:34 AM by InfamousCat »

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:20:16 AM »
If you actually look at real flight paths they do end being straight lines on a flat earth map.
Confirmed trolls to ignore:
Mousewalker-Denies fisheye lenses used in videos
Sokarul-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens
Definitely not official-tries to equate wide angle lens with a fisheye lens

?

Kami

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »
If you actually look at real flight paths they do end being straight lines on a flat earth map.
Like, which flight path? The ones from New Zealand to Chile? And before you claim something like that, provide a flat earth map which does not distort distances.

TheSchwa1337

• Confused quite honestly on the whole matter @ hand
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
The common answer on uninformed questions like this is "Lurk moar"
Say that you are travelling on a plane leaving from the west coast of the United States and going to Japan which if you look at a map is on the far east of it. Say you are travelling due west from California to Japan. Going by flat Earth logic (judging by the layout of all paper maps), heading due west should bring you to the edge of the earth but that doesn't happen, Instead you safely reach Japan. Now after a search of google maps, the quickest route from California to Tokyo is to go west (plus it makes sense so that you're not sat on a plane for like two days). Why can you travel from California to Tokyo without meeting some sort edge to the earth? Because it's fucking round, plain and simple. It would be the same Leaving California heading west, circling the world and landing back where you left. All of this is possible because the earth is round. If you flat earth people are so sure of your belief, please explain to me why this works, how it is possible to make this journey if the earth is supposedly flat?
OP, you do indeed need to lurk more.

I would suggest you also take a look at the wiki, because if you did, you most likely wouldn't have presented this question.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Circumnavigation&highlight=circumnavigation

Try and see you you can find any north to south or visa versa navigation of the globe! You'll be surprised, most links google gives are very shady and have been put out very recently since the FE model started gaining traction.

Hope this helps OP and best of luck in your search for truth!
Quote from: Papa Legba on April 29, 2016, 01:15:13 PM

I've got top men working on babyhighspeed's potentially disastrous amazon voodoo detector recalibration issue right now...

Top... Men!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 01:36:47 AM »
Really? I know that in the Southern Hemisphere that certainly do not.
I have plotted the shortest distance from Sydney, Australia to Santiago, Chile on "Gleason's" map (the same projection as the "Ice-Wall" map) and on Google Earth.

Shortest Sydney to Santiago on
    "Gleason Map", about 25,400 km

Great Circle Sydney to Santiago on
    "Google Earth", about 11,400 km

The distance on the Gleason map had to be scaled from the Equator to North Pole distance of 10,000 km.

For the QANTAS flight QFA27 on 10/May/2016 it was report that:
the shortest distance was 11,353 km,
the actual distance flown  11,488 km and
the flight time was 12 hrs 12 mins.

Try that on the "Ice-Wall" map.

If you don't like the Gleason's map, you can show us the route plotted on the map of your choice!

hello_there

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 01:53:12 AM »
Like, which flight path? The ones from New Zealand to Chile? And before you claim something like that, provide a flat earth map which does not distort distances.

I'm sure they are referring to flight paths on the northern hemisphere, as it looks curvy on your everyday world map. It may look somewhat less curvy on flat earth but it is pretty straight on round earth (and by straight I mean following the curvature of the earth but doesn't have to turn left or right).

New Zealand to Chile? That's a good one man. I saw some pictures about flight path from Sydney to Chile, but I'm sure the point stays the same. This is the flight path on a regular everyday world map

If the earth was flat, then this would be the the flight path

And that would be ridiculous. There was no way that the guys at the airliner in their right minds would say "that's the way to do it"

On the other hand, on round earth the flight path looks pretty darn straight

As an economical way to reach Chile, the flight path makes perfect sense.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
I would just like to say that there is a reason you don't see planes traveling from Brazil to South Africa.  Or South Africa to Australia.  OR vice versa.
On the globe earth map, it appears to be the OBVIOUS shortest route.  But why do they never use it?? 
They ALWAYS fly "up" above the equator into the northern hemisphere.
The flat earth map shows their route is actually straight.

Food for thought.  See what I'm talking about here:  flightradar24.com

?

frenat

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
I would just like to say that there is a reason you don't see planes traveling from Brazil to South Africa.  Or South Africa to Australia.  OR vice versa.
On the globe earth map, it appears to be the OBVIOUS shortest route.  But why do they never use it?? 
They ALWAYS fly "up" above the equator into the northern hemisphere.
The flat earth map shows their route is actually straight.

Food for thought.  See what I'm talking about here:  flightradar24.com
they don't ALWAYS fly up.  There are flights connecting those destinations directly but not as many for a few reasons.  First there are less people in the southern hemisphere than the North so there will be less flights.  Second, aviation regulations for long overwater flights require jets that can lose an engine and still have 2 or more left.  The majority of the planes available are two engines only so they would not fulfill this requirement so the routes they take have to keep them closer to land for safety.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
they don't ALWAYS fly up.  There are flights connecting those destinations directly but not as many for a few reasons.  First there are less people in the southern hemisphere than the North so there will be less flights.  Second, aviation regulations for long overwater flights require jets that can lose an engine and still have 2 or more left.  The majority of the planes available are two engines only so they would not fulfill this requirement so the routes they take have to keep them closer to land for safety.

I have yet to see them crossover...And the reason is that it's a straight shot on a flat earth map.  LOL!!!
I understand there are "less flights".  That's irrelevant.  You think they keep closer to land for safety? 
While this COULD be true, their routes make little to no sense even if this were the case. 
They go much higher than needed, and it's for a reason.  They are flying on a flat plane.  On a flat earth. 
It fits perfectly on the flat earth map, just so you know.  lol

?

frenat

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

I have yet to see them crossover...And the reason is that it's a straight shot on a flat earth map.  LOL!!!
I understand there are "less flights".  That's irrelevant.  You think they keep closer to land for safety? 
While this COULD be true, their routes make little to no sense even if this were the case. 
They go much higher than needed, and it's for a reason.  They are flying on a flat plane.  On a flat earth. 
It fits perfectly on the flat earth map, just so you know.  lol
how does the Qantas Sydney to Santiago flight in about 12 hours fit on a flat plane?  The flights exist whether you've seen them or not.
There are also nonstop flights between Sao Paulo and Johannesburg and between Perth and Johannesburg
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:50:52 PM by frenat »

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
how does the Qantas Sydney to Santiago flight in about 12 hours fit on a flat plane?  The flights exist whether you've seen them or not.
There are also nonstop flights between Sao Paulo and Johannesburg and between Perth and Johannesburg

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
(Sydney to Santiago - Flat Earth)

There is no curvature to the earth.  8inches per mile squared has never been proven in the history of the world. 
Yet, this is supposedly the "curvature equation".  This proves the earth is a linear plane, NOT a spinning ball.

?

frenat

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »

(Sydney to Santiago - Flat Earth)

They claim the fast winds make the sydney to santiago flight quicker though they are looking at the winds near the ground and NOT the winds aloft and basically ignore the flights back claiming they take 19 hours (the video maker chose flights with layovers).  Choose a flight that is nonstop and it is 14 hours or less.  So the maker of the video LIED.  That's your proof?  Really?

There is no curvature to the earth.  8inches per mile squared has never been proven in the history of the world. 
Yet, this is supposedly the "curvature equation".  This proves the earth is a linear plane, NOT a spinning ball.

It has been proven and is used every day.  RADAR and radio have definite horizons based on the curvature and while increasing the altitude of the emitter increases their range exactly as expected, increasing their power does not.  Boats disappear hull first an magnification does NOT bring the disappeared parts back.

I used to live in Panama City, FL.  In Mexico Beach, FL on the Bay/Gulf county line you can look due South and see Cape San Blas.  It is just far enough away that you can see the trees of the cape while standing on the beach but you can not see the opposing beach.  This is on a completely calm day with no waves.  Binoculars or telescopes do NOT make the beach visible but climbing up to road level just less than 15 feet up does.

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
They claim the fast winds make the sydney to santiago flight quicker though they are looking at the winds near the ground and NOT the winds aloft and basically ignore the flights back claiming they take 19 hours (the video maker chose flights with layovers).  Choose a flight that is nonstop and it is 14 hours or less.  So the maker of the video LIED.  That's your proof?  Really?

It has been proven and is used every day.  RADAR and radio have definite horizons based on the curvature and while increasing the altitude of the emitter increases their range exactly as expected, increasing their power does not.  Boats disappear hull first an magnification does NOT bring the disappeared parts back.

I used to live in Panama City, FL.  In Mexico Beach, FL on the Bay/Gulf county line you can look due South and see Cape San Blas.  It is just far enough away that you can see the trees of the cape while standing on the beach but you can not see the opposing beach.  This is on a completely calm day with no waves.  Binoculars or telescopes do NOT make the beach visible but climbing up to road level just less than 15 feet up does.

Sorry you don't like it.  Plenty of videos on you flight path.  lol

You actually think the curvature equation is legit?  LOLOLOL. 
"Boats disappear hull first an magnification does NOT bring the disappeared parts back."  Wrong!!!
I've seen it bring back the entire boat, from WAY out by simply zooming in.
I guess you are unfamiliar with the term "vanishing point".
It's the same concept for the sunset, that never actually goes down.

?

frenat

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »

Sorry you don't like it.  Plenty of videos on you flight path.  lol
So no actual rebuttal for the lie from the maker of the video.  got it.

You actually think the curvature equation is legit?  LOLOLOL. 
Yes, but then I've tested it for myself as described above and didn't just take some youtube videos word on it.

"Boats disappear hull first an magnification does NOT bring the disappeared parts back."  Wrong!!!
I've seen it bring back the entire boat, from WAY out by simply zooming in.
They the boat you were looking at was NOT over the horizon.

I guess you are unfamiliar with the term "vanishing point".
It's the same concept for the sunset, that never actually goes down.
A vanishing point would cause the object to get smaller until it disappears, NOT selectively make the bottom disappear first.  And the Sun definitely does NOT get smaller due to a vanishing point and also definitely has the bottom disappear first.
If your sun was supposedly only 3,000 miles up (which it can't be because the Moon can be easily proven to be about 250,000 miles away and it must be at least that distance) then it would NEVER touch the horizon.  It should be at least 10 degrees up when it "sets".  And of course with the flat Earth model it would always set in the North West for all observers.  How doe the equinoxes work then when it rises due east for everyone and sets due West for everyone?  Or the summer when it rises in the South East and sets in the South West?

Or how about this?

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
There is no "over the horizon".  The earth is flat.
Bodies of water always take the shape of their container.
Meaning, the surface is always level.

Meaning....there is no curve.  Period.  DEBUNKED the sphere, yet again.

?

frenat

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

Level does not mean flat.  Level on a globe would be the same distance from the center.

Interesting how you ignore the vast majority of the points proving you wrong.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »

I don't follow. Did you just assert that saying "actually the earth is flat" debunks the sphere?

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
Say that you are travelling on a plane .....
SNIP 
....  please explain to me why this works, how it is possible to make this journey if the earth is supposedly flat?
Your compass will always point to the north pole. 

Why is this not obvious????????????????????????? 
You shills are terrible!   

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 06:39:09 PM »
SNIP 
....  please explain to me why this works, how it is possible to make this journey if the earth is supposedly flat?

You shills are terrible!
Well NO it doesn't! The compass needle will align itself to the local direction of the earth's magnetic field! and in many places that can vary a lot from True North.
The map at US/UK World Magnetic Model - Epoch 2015.0 Main Field Declination is a bit big to display, but shows this variotion over the whole world.
It shows that around the Earth's magnetic poles the variation (or declination) varies tremendously. The South Magnetic Pole is a long way from the South Geographic Pole!

In Australia the variation changes from about 2° West to about 12° East. Across the USA it varies from about 18° W to about 17° E.
So, no the compass needle does not simply point to the North Pole!

So you might well ask "Why is this not obvious?" and you would be very wrong! The ignorance of some people is just "terrible!"

It is a good idea to put brain into gear before engaging tongue! (fingers or whatever you use for communication).

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
SNIP 

You shills are terrible!
Well NO it doesn't! The compass needle will align itself to the local direction of the earth's magnetic field! and in many places that can vary a lot from True North.
The map at US/UK World Magnetic Model - Epoch 2015.0 Main Field Declination is a bit big to display, but shows this variotion over the whole world.
It shows that around the Earth's magnetic poles the variation (or declination) varies tremendously. The South Magnetic Pole is a long way from the South Geographic Pole!

In Australia the variation changes from about 2° West to about 12° East. Across the USA it varies from about 18° W to about 17° E.
So, no the compass needle does not simply point to the North Pole!

So you might well ask "Why is this not obvious?" and you would be very wrong! The ignorance of some people is just "terrible!"

It is a good idea to put brain into gear before engaging tongue! (fingers or whatever you use for communication).

The north magnetic pole...  compasses point to it...  why do you not know this?