water always finds level?

• 95 Replies

getrealzommb

• We do actually live on a ball: But who cares?
Re: water always finds level?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »

Fucking short bus, uh hayseed???

Did you read the post?

Okay, for sssslllloooowwww rrrreeeeaaaaddddeeeerrrrssss, in bullet form, the task at hand...

1. Cast or carve a globe;
2. Make the oceans to scale length, breadth, and depth;
3. Include only the largest lakes on each continent and make them to scale both breadth and depth;
4. Include only the longest rivers on each continent and make them to scale length, breadth, and depth;
5. While everything is dry (no H2O added yet)drill a hole through the globe, accurately reflecting supposed axial tilt;
6. Mount the globe on a dowel or whatever allows the globe to spin at scale speed;
7. Applying any known force available to man, add chemically correct water to the surface of the globe. The only thing that can be outside of the globe is an atmosphere identical to the composition of the one found on earth.

I want to see that picture...I want to touch it...

If you can't present that, then I think you should refrain from replying further...

Of course, you knew what I was asking for all along and decided to be a smart ass anyway...

And of course I know what I am asking for cannot be provided and therefore negates ALL SCIENCE relative to RE as all conditions of RE cannot be replicated and are therefore FALSE!

Nothing experimental on your side...just a bunch of BULLSHIT!!!

If I were to build this model, How will I demonstrate it to you, while we are under the much larger influence of the earths gravity? are you able to switch that off? no didn't think so.
Just think about what you are asking. Maybe on board the ISS this could be done. But then I expect you believe that also dose not exist.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 05:10:05 PM »

Did you read the post?

Okay, for sssslllloooowwww rrrreeeeaaaaddddeeeerrrrssss, in bullet form, the task at hand...

3. Include only the largest lakes on each continent and make them to scale both breadth and depth;
4. Include only the longest rivers on each continent and make them to scale length, breadth, and depth;
5. While everything is dry (no H2O added yet)drill a hole through the globe, accurately reflecting supposed axial tilt;
6. Mount the globe on a dowel or whatever allows the globe to spin at scale speed;
7. Applying any known force available to man, add chemically correct water to the surface of the globe. The only thing that can be outside of the globe is an atmosphere identical to the composition of the one found on earth.

If you can't present that, then I think you should refrain from replying further...

Of course, you knew what I was asking for all along and decided to be a smart ass anyway...

And of course I know what I am asking for cannot be provided and therefore negates ALL SCIENCE relative to RE as all conditions of RE cannot be replicated and are therefore FALSE!

If I were to build this model, How will I demonstrate it to you, while we are under the much larger influence of the earths gravity? are you able to switch that off? no didn't think so.
Just think about what you are asking. Maybe on board the ISS this could be done. But then I expect you believe that also dose not exist.

Even on the ISS, the microgravity of the station around you would outweigh the sphere's gravity.  You can't just scale this stuff down and expect it to behave the same way, but you can look at the effects that forces and pressures have on smaller objects, like raindrops, and apply that to the earth. 
Aerospace Engineering Student
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate
More qualified to speak for NASA than you are to speak against them

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

Did you read the post?

I see you were a short bus rider yourself.

What material do you suggest we use that is dense enough to overcome the gravity that is holding down both you and the ball you are carving, and pull water against that ball's surface?

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »
So, totallackey, you made a very specific request, so let me make one as well: I want you to measure how much the water bulges in a bucket with a diameter of 30 cm. If it is less than 0.5 Nanometers, you win. I want you to make a full report of the experiment and film it. The measuring tool used should have an accuracy of at least 0.3 Nanometers. Then you have to publish it. Should be easy enough, if you are right.
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »
hey sharpie
short answer: water doenst level.. idont even know what you mean by that. a liquid simply just flows to the state of lowest potential energy. so the complete surface is exposed to the same gravitational force. on a globe that gravitational force is not flat it is curved around the globe (which is far away from beeing round, its mor like a potato) and it also depends on density differences in the inside (which can also be meassured) and it depends on the distance to the center (on high mountains there is less gravity than on sea level, and yes one can measure that). so if you would put a straight beam through the beginning end the end point of the suez canal it would be underground in the middle.  that just means the field of equal force is not flat!

?

Master_Evar

• Well rounded character
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 01:10:11 AM »
Actually, here's a interesting video on the concept of sea level, and how it is affected by nearby masses etc. (3 mins long)
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Math is the language of the universe.

The inability to explain something is not proof of something else.

We don't speak for reality - we only observe it. An observation can have any cause, but it is still no more than just an observation.

When in doubt; sources!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 03:42:49 AM »
Did you read the post?

Yes, all that would work perfectly! Of course any other gravitational influences would have to be removed. I'll leave you to work out that detail!

Now, over to you!
On the "real earth" the moon appears to rise from behind the horizon, to move over the sky and finally to set behind the horizon. As the moon moves over the sky it stays (almost) the same size - an angle of rough 0.5°.

The Flat Earth moon, about 50 km in diam and  5,000 km high, is supposed to explain this behaviour by "perspective".

Please build a scale model to demonstrate that the Flat Earth model works as claimed.

If you can't do that I will know that the Flat Earth explanation is hog-wash. Mind you if you do build you might still find it is hog-wash.

Back to the gravity problem.
You just have face up to the fact that gravitation is such a minute force that the scale model is completely impractical.
The mass of the earth is 5.972 × 1024 kg - that's really heavy. Your model might have a scale globe with a mass of a few tonnes, but it just could not compete!

You might not believe this, but that's your problem not mine!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 03:47:55 AM »

Did you read the post?

Maybe with ferrofluid or in free fall, something could be done...
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 03:51:29 AM »
Secondly, water.   It seems fact that water always find level.  But my friend proposed the question,"level to what?". The  presumed curvature of the earth relative to its presumed radius? My presumtion is that level is a straight line. Exactly straight.  And that's where I went looking for a way to prove whether water finds straight level, or whether it follows the curvature of the earth. Pretty hard to prove on my kitchen table.   I'm looking for an experiment. Any suggestions?
I will only try to answer a small part.

Firstly, because gravitation is such a tiny force it is extremely difficult to give any convincing benchtop demonstration. You are always competing with the enormously larger earth. Because of this limitation all the "experiment" demonstrates is that the surface of water need not be straight. It does not attempt to simulate how water can stick to a globe. With that proviso:

Yes, water always finds its own level.

But there is simply no physical law that says that level is a straight line. It is easy to make water deviate from a straight line.
One way is to put it into tank and spin the tank smoothly, as in this video " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Centrifugal Force on Rotating Water Container.

Of course you will say that the water in that tank is not only subject to the downward acceleration of gravity (or whatever you choose to call it), but to an additional "centrifugal acceleration" due the roation. EXACTLY! The nett acceleration is not in a single direction anymore and the surface aligns itself at right angles to this nett acceleration at each location, as illustrated below:

Rotating Water Curving

Now, please understand that the only reason I am showing this it to demonstrate that the surface of water need not be "straight". It simply depends on the local acceleration, here gravity (down) and centrifugal acceleration (outwards). So, at the outside edge the surface of the water is at about 45° to the horizontal.
I am not suggesting that the rotation of the earth holds the oceans in place, it most certainly does not.

On the globe the nett acceleration is just the local acceleration due to gravity and is directed (almost[1]) towards the centre of the earth as in this rather rough illustration:

Water Curves on Globe

In this case the surface of the water is always at right angles to the direction we call "down", in other words it is "level" or "horizontal", so the water still "finds its own level" alright, but that level is not a perfectly straight line. Though on a local scale it is so close to a straight like as to not matter.

Over a distance of one mile the surface of perfectly still water would deviate only a total of 2 inches from level (±1" if you like) as in:

Water nearly Flat on Globe

So, water finds its own level, but over a large distance that level is determined by the local gravity.

[1] Almost towards the centre because the centripetal acceleration caused by the rotation of the earth causes a slight deviation.

Water Curves on Globe

I want you to post a REAL LIVE DEPICTION of replicating this pictured phenomena...an actual man-made demonstration of this in existence...With that depiction, an actual honest explanation of how it was done...

A clear container...holding curved water...man made...replicate it...come on...

When you do, I will have no further need of posting here...

To me, that picture you posted is as ridiculous as bendy light...Which can be bent by the way...in numerous ways...

Thanks.

Sure.  Water droplets form spheres.  Fluids under equal force from all sides form spheres.  In the case of water droplets, that force is surface tension, but for the earth, that force is gravity.  The state of being rounded by gravity is called hydrostatic equilibrium, and it's one of the requirements of being a planet, which the earth fulfills.

Did you read the post?

I'm sorry, why would you ever ask something like that? Can you provide a scale model of FE with the sun and moon floating above it? No! Some stuff just can't be modeled like that. It's as if I asked you to prove me Mt. Everest exists, and told you to bring Mt. Everest to my backyard so that I can touch it! That's not an experiment, that's just asking for something impossible.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Yep...just as I thought...ALL OF YOU IN A COMBINED CHORUS!!!

"IT CANNOT BE DONE!!! IT CANNOT BE DONE!!!"

And of course, the fact an experiment cannot be used to demonstrate ANY ASPECT OF THE SUPPOSED EFFECT OF GRAVITY ON WATER causes NONE OF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES A PROBLEM...yet, we would be the ones labeled deficient?

Convex water, simply because of a miracle "g"...I spit in all of your faces...

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »

And of course, the fact an experiment cannot be used to demonstrate ANY ASPECT OF THE SUPPOSED EFFECT OF GRAVITY ON WATER causes NONE OF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES A PROBLEM...yet, we would be the ones labeled deficient?

Why are you such an angry elf? 

It's been explained why your 'desktop globe should hold water around it's surface' experiment is flawed (or stupid, whichever fits best).  You would have better luck using an instrument that can measure if there is curvature or not on the surface of a pan of water 30 cm across.  You should try it and let us all know if you find a difference of .5nm.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »

Real low type aren't you!

But as "Definitely Not Official" requested and
"Provide a scale model of FE with the sun and moon floating above it? No! Some stuff just can't be modeled like that. "
I am serious, because the whole idea of sun, moon and stars floating around up there with no support and looks ridiculous to me!

Also, I have often queried the Flat Earth explanation of moon phases and lunar eclipses. Please look up "the Wiki" and see how the Flat Earth model explains these, then build a scale model to prove that it does or does not work.

Likewise, I think that the Flat Earth explanation of sunrise and sunset is completely false, especially the part about how the sun (and moon for that matter) stay the same apparent size all day (or night). Please make a desktop model to show how this works (or fails).

Please put up or shut up.

Just admit that some things simply cannot be modeled on a small scale.
Nevertheless the value of the Universal Gravitational Constant has been measured numerous time, obtaining quite reasonable agreement with Henry Cavendish's measurements in 1797–1798, so gravity has been measured and is real!

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 03:49:52 AM »

"Provide a scale model of FE with the sun and moon floating above it? No! Some stuff just can't be modeled like that. "
I am serious, because the whole idea of sun, moon and stars floating around up there with no support and looks ridiculous to me!

Also, I have often queried the Flat Earth explanation of moon phases and lunar eclipses. Please look up "the Wiki" and see how the Flat Earth model explains these, then build a scale model to prove that it does or does not work.

Likewise, I think that the Flat Earth explanation of sunrise and sunset is completely false, especially the part about how the sun (and moon for that matter) stay the same apparent size all day (or night). Please make a desktop model to show how this works (or fails).

Nevertheless the value of the Universal Gravitational Constant has been measured numerous time, obtaining quite reasonable agreement with Henry Cavendish's measurements in 1797–1798, so gravity has been measured and is real!

What is the original topic, short bus rider? Answer = Water and its level
Is the OP about a flat earth model? Answer = Fuck no
Finally = STFU about me building a model and you get busy admitting you believe horseshit. You are the one who cannot replicate anything.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:52:58 AM by totallackey »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 04:31:51 AM »

Finally = STFU about me building a model and you get busy admitting you believe horseshit. You are the one who cannot replicate anything.

Please explain how it feasible to build a scale model of water on a "model globe" with a mass of a few thousand kg tops in the presence of another object (of mass 5.972 × 1024 kg)  causing competing gravitation.

There may be two ways of demonstrating the effect:
  • Do the experiment in a location free of gravitation, such as one of Lagrange points), not something you or I can do. 
  • Simulate gravitation with electrostatic charges. I think it might just be possible.
But of course, if you dipped a "wettable"  ball in some water, and remove it what do you find?
Yes, the ball stays wet with probably a thicker layer of water (relative to diameter) than the oceans!
Why? Another force (surface tension) kept the water on the surface.

And as well, as I stated before gravitation has been measured numerous time, obtaining quite reasonable agreement with Henry Cavendish's measurements in 1797–1798. Gravitation has been measured and is real.

And to top it off, just because you cannot perform an experiment on a small scale proves nothing.

All your cussin', splutterin' an' spittin' won't get you anywhere. It won't change the facts. It makes you look a poor loser.

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »

Fluids under equal force from all sides form spheres.  This is self-evident.  In the case of the earth, that force is gravity.  If that's so hard to believe, climb back onto your magic short bus that you're so obsessed with, and find me a case where fluids always form flat level surfaces in free fall. 
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »

My, you are angry.  And ignorant. 

I bet you have a Vote Trump! sticker on your bumper.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2016, 02:59:52 AM »

There, spherical water.

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »

...And to top it off, just because you cannot perform an experiment on a small scale proves nothing.

All your cussin', splutterin' an' spittin' won't get you anywhere. It won't change the facts. It makes you look a poor loser.

It proves you cannot demonstrate your hypothesis and therefore your original premise (water in terms of millions of trillions of gallons) does NOT exist in a convex state on the supposed globe. You are the loser. Not me.

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »

...And to top it off, just because you cannot perform an experiment on a small scale proves nothing.

It proves you cannot demonstrate your hypothesis and therefore your original premise (water in terms of millions of trillions of gallons) does NOT exist in a convex state on the supposed globe. You are the loser. Not me.
Well, you are going to have a problem if that is true.

To make the sky/heavens work, you need a SINGLE POINT S. Pole (so a SINGLE POINT S. Celestial Pole - center of southern star trails - can be above it) as demonstrated here:
(https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=66457.0)

So... you are going to have to have people living on BOTH sides of a disk (with the S.Pole on the underside) to make this work. Since you don't have gravity on FE disks, what is going to hold YOUR oceans and trillions of gallons of water to the disks?
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »

Ummm

There, spherical water.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2016, 03:12:36 PM »

And of course, the fact an experiment cannot be used to demonstrate ANY ASPECT OF THE SUPPOSED EFFECT OF GRAVITY ON WATER causes NONE OF YOU A PROBLEM...yet, we would be the ones labeled deficient?

The reason why you can't do a scaled down version is because of earth's gravity. The water would stick to earth more readily than you scale model. Now if we were in outer space in a Goldie locks zone then maybe. Plus what are water dropplets?
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

Ummm

There, spherical water.

What part of millions of trillions of gallons eluded you there, Maynard? Fucking hayseed...

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »

To make the sky/heavens work, you need a SINGLE POINT S. Pole (so a SINGLE POINT S. Celestial Pole - center of southern star trails - can be above it) as demonstrated here:

So... you are going to have to have people living on BOTH sides of a disk (with the S.Pole on the underside) to make this work. Since you don't have gravity on FE disks, what is going to hold YOUR oceans and trillions of gallons of water to the disks?

People living on FLAT plane are not living on both sides...WTF are you trying to pull?

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »

Fluids under equal force from all sides form spheres.  This is self-evident.  In the case of the earth, that force is gravity.  If that's so hard to believe, climb back onto your magic short bus that you're so obsessed with, and find me a case where fluids always form flat level surfaces in free fall.

WTF is the topic of the OP, nimrod? Why are you trying to fucking change the fucking subject? Oh...yeah...cause you fucking got nothing...

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »

My, you are angry.  And ignorant. 

I bet you have a Vote Trump! sticker on your bumper.

If I did, I would peel it off and tape it across your fucking keyboard...

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »

WTF is the topic of the OP, nimrod? Why are you trying to fucking change the fucking subject? Oh...yeah...cause you fucking got nothing...

Why so hostile?
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

And of course, the fact an experiment cannot be used to demonstrate ANY ASPECT OF THE SUPPOSED EFFECT OF GRAVITY ON WATER causes NONE OF YOU A PROBLEM...yet, we would be the ones labeled deficient?

The reason why you can't do a scaled down version is because of earth's gravity. The water would stick to earth more readily than you scale model. Now if we were in outer space in a Goldie locks zone then maybe. Plus what are water dropplets?

And you have abdicated true knowledge in exchange for a magic, non-existent "g." Goldie Locks is a fucking FAIRY TALE!

Bottom line, true science requires REPLICATING the hypothesis...modeling the idea...and instead of that, you fall for math trickery...

Blue_Moon

• Defender of NASA
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

And... blocked! 

Good riddance, Legba Junior!
NASA Enthusiast
Round Earth Advocate

?

Jadyyn

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »

People living on FLAT plane are not living on both sides...WTF are you trying to pull?
Um... If the people on a flat plane or disk are only living on ONE side, then then sky is wrong (i.e. it does not represent what we see). For the S. Celestial Pole to be a SINGLE POINT in the image above, it must be over the S. Pole (a SINGLE POINT). There is NO place on a disk or plane with people on ONE side that the S.Pole is a single point. When people face the SCP, EVERYWHERE on Earth they are facing due SOUTH (just like the S.Pole).

You need to understand (1) rotating bodies (Geometry - a rotation axis between a N.Pole and S.Pole) and (2) if they are stationary and the sky is moving what the effect is (this creates a N.Celestial Pole (center of N star trails ~Polaris) over the N.Pole and a S.Celestial Pole (center of S star trails ~Sigma Octantis) over the S.Pole with the rotation axis between them).

Furthermore, draw a horizontal line through the SCP in that image. ALL the stars below it are on the other side of the FE 10,000+ mi BEHIND you. How can you see them facing SOUTH?

So IF you maintain that people are on just ONE side, you are not describing the Earth we are on but some fictitious place. There is nothing concerning water levels or anything to really discuss with you on your fictitious Earth.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:22:29 PM by Jadyyn »
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields.
"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »

And you have abdicated true knowledge in exchange for a magic, non-existent "g." Goldie Locks is a FAIRY TALE!

Prove it. And gravity is not magic, its science.

Bottom line, true science requires REPLICATING the hypothesis...modeling the idea...and instead of that, you fall for math trickery...

There no math trickery, there is just math. I may not be good at it but ANYONE willing to learn can complete complicated math problems. I'm just not willing to learn (don't take that wrong math experts). And modeling, while convinent and helpful, its not existential. Speaking of modeling I'm into model railroading. What you're asking about earth is like me asking to make a 1/87th scale anatomically correct living human being. Does that disprove that human beings exist if I can't? Certain things only work full scale.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.