Transit of Mercury

• 230 Replies
Re: Transit of Mercury
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
I managed to capture a couple [of images of the transit of mercury]...

https://imageshack.com/i/po6bnK0lj

https://imageshack.com/i/pnUiqeSrj

I promised these in an earlier thread.

Looks to me that weeks have passed between the two images.  I suppose you are going to claim that you took both pictures this morning?  ::)

What makes you think that weeks have passed between images?...

The little dot is very close to the edge of the sun in one photo and very far from the edge in the other.  Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day, or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time?

<a whole bunch of posts requesting (respectfully initially; testier as evasions and snarky responses to the requests piled up) to see this math>

I was wrong

Thanks for the admission of your error by the way. It was like bleeding a stone but you got there.

Why not try to find the truth instead of looking for my errors?

Some people finding and reading this thread might believe you. For them, your errors stand in the way of finding the truth, so they need to be disposed of. We're there; it took effort, but it's good.

[Edit] grammar.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:20:17 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
  • Welcome to the CIA Troll/Shill Society.
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
Wow I haven't encountered this Papa Legba character before, but from an outside perspective he sounds like exactly what he is accusing everyone else of being... A crazy cult member!

I mean, how far detached from reality can one person be before they become a danger and need to be sectioned?...

::)

Is that the latest tune from the sock-shill boy-band?

Gonna enter it in Eurovision & give us a laugh when you come last?
I got Trolled & Shilled at the CIA Troll/Shill Society and now I feel EPIC!!!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2016, 12:09:15 AM »
Wow, every sock puppet must post... and then I admitted I made a mistake...  and now they are flocking here.

WE WEREN'T EVEN TALKING ABOUT YOU ANYMORE UNTIL YOU POSTED THAT!!! Were you so sad that we were not paying attention to you?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:10:59 AM by Definitely Not Official »
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2016, 12:28:20 AM »
WE WEREN'T EVEN TALKING ABOUT YOU ANYMORE UNTIL YOU POSTED THAT!!! Were you so sad that we were not paying attention to you?

You weren't talking about anything at all.

You were refusing to justify your belief that a bunch of tiny dots in the sky you know only as mathematical/geometrical abstractions are somehow relevant to the nature of the earth beneath our feet & I was laughing at you for it.

Then you all went mental as usual & I laughed at you for that too.

Now; perhaps you'd care to answer these questions:

Do you speak Greek?

Do you live in Greece?

Pezevenk

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2016, 01:02:47 AM »

You weren't talking about anything at all.

You were refusing to justify your belief that a bunch of tiny dots in the sky you know only as mathematical/geometrical abstractions are somehow relevant to the nature of the earth beneath our feet & I was laughing at you for it.

Then you all went mental as usual & I laughed at you for that too.

Now; perhaps you'd care to answer these questions:

Do you speak Greek?

Do you live in Greece?

Ναι, ζω στην Ελλάδα και μιλάω ελληνικά, μπαφιαρη παλιομαλάκα.

I'm not sure if Google translate will help you with the last 2 words, and that's probably good, because I would be flirting with a ban.

I already explained why the "tiny dots in the sky" pose a problem to the traditional FE model, and you should know that the light is the sun and the dot is Mercury, but you ignored all that.

Anyway, let's go back to the Greece debate, because I find that more amusing than the "tiny dots" one.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2016, 01:06:43 AM »

Pezevenk

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 AM »
the dot is Mercury.

What is 'Mercury'?

A planet.

Fuck this, let's go back to the Greece debate, this debate is boring.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »
the dot is Mercury.

What is 'Mercury'?
You could have looked it up on your favourite source of factual information!
Quote from: Wikipedia
Mercury
Chemical Element
Mercury is a chemical element with symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is commonly known as quicksilver and was formerly named hydrargyrum.

There, now you know!

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2016, 01:52:15 AM »
the dot is Mercury.

What is 'Mercury'?

A planet.

A 'planet'.

Called 'Mercury'.

The fact that this 'planet' is named after the deity Mercury/Hermes/Thoth would suggest it is part of some system of religious worship, would it not?

Perhaps one revolving around a Sun God named Ra?

Or is that just a 'coincidence'?

Hmm?

Oh, & STFU Geoff.

Pezevenk

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:01 AM »
the dot is Mercury.

What is 'Mercury'?

A planet.

A 'planet'.

Called 'Mercury'.

The fact that this 'planet' is named after the deity Mercury/Hermes/Thoth would suggest it is part of some system of religious worship, would it not?

Hmm?

Oh, & STFU Geoff.

No, you bloody dimwit! Well, actually, yes, if you lived 2500 YEARS AGO! The reason Mercury is called Mercury is because ancient Greeks (as well as other ancient civilizations) believed that the planets were gods, or at least they were linked to gods. They named Mercury is simply the latin version of Hermes (Ερμής), the greek messenger god, who was supposedly very quick. The Greeks named it Hermes, because of how "fast" it appeared to be compared to the other planets. Yes, they did think sun was a god as well (Helios), but they did NOT think that sun was the king of gods (that was pretty much Jupiter's (or Dias/Zeus as they called him) job), and they also did not think that the planets revolved around the sun. The names just stuck around.

Wow, all that sounds SOOO unlikely, right? Yeah, there must be a religious sun-god-loving cult...

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2016, 02:01:11 AM »
By the way, you're jumbling up the ancient mythologies, Thoth and Ra are Egyptian.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2016, 02:26:54 AM »
By the way, you're jumbling up the ancient mythologies.

LOL!!!

You have no idea what you're blabbing on about do you?

Poor thing.

All you think you know about your dot in the sky is derived from mathematical/geometrical abstraction.

You are simply making up stories about it, which just happen to coincide with ancient sun-worshipping mythologies.

All a big coincidence, eh?

Pezevenk

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:25 AM »
By the way, you're jumbling up the ancient mythologies.

LOL!!!

You have no idea what you're blabbing on about do you?

Poor thing.

All you think you know about your dot in the sky is derived from mathematical/geometrical abstraction.

You are simply making up stories about it, which just happen to coincide with ancient sun-worshipping mythologies.

All a big coincidence, eh?

But you are jumbling up the mythologies. You are acting as though Thoth, Ra, Mercury etc. are all part of one mythology.

"You are simply making up stories about it, which just happen to coincide with ancient sun-worshipping mythologies."

You're quite the idiot, aren't ya? They don't even coincide with ancient mythologies. If anything, it's FET that coincides with them more. You've just jumbled up everything in your mind and pretend that it makes sense.

Now back to the Greece debate. That was fun, I really want to see what you will come up with about it.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2016, 03:33:52 AM »
the dot is Mercury.

What is 'Mercury'?

A planet.

A 'planet'.

Called 'Mercury'.

Hmm?

Oh, & STFU Geoff.
I think you are showing your usual ignorance still!

All of the planets of the Solar System (with the exception of Earth - Terra) are given names from Greek or Roman mythology.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2016, 07:55:15 AM »
But you are jumbling up the mythologies. You are acting as though Thoth, Ra, Mercury etc. are all part of one mythology.

Again: LOL!!!

You still have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's a quote from William Blake, someone who did know what he was talking about: 'The Gods of Greece & Egypt were Mathematical Diagrams'.

You are too dumb to see that nothing has changed in thousands of years, & you still slavishly prostrate yourself before exactly the same deities your equally dumb & enslaved ancestors had forced upon them.

I would suggest you grow the fuck up, but instead I'd prefer you spend the rest of your life stuck to the eyepiece of your telescope, watching Star Trek, & believing in your mentally-crippling Radiant Sky-Redeemer mythos, as this is clearly what you deserve.

Oh, & STFU, Geoff.

Pezevenk

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »

Again: LOL!!!

You still have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's a quote from William Blake, someone who did know what he was talking about: 'The Gods of Greece & Egypt were Mathematical Diagrams'.

You are too dumb to see that nothing has changed in thousands of years, & you still slavishly prostrate yourself before exactly the same deities your equally dumb & enslaved ancestors had forced upon them.

I would suggest you grow the fuck up, but instead I'd prefer you spend the rest of your life stuck to the eyepiece of your telescope, watching Star Trek, & believing in your mentally-crippling Radiant Sky-Redeemer mythos, as this is clearly what you deserve.

Oh, & STFU, Geoff.

"Again: LOL!!!

You still have no idea what you are talking about."

And you still haven't explained WHY. Oh yeah, because you said so. Ok.

"Here's a quote from William Blake, someone who did know what he was talking about: 'The Gods of Greece & Egypt were Mathematical Diagrams'."

Where's the quote? Lol  ;D ;D ;D

"You are too dumb to see that nothing has changed in thousands of years, & you still slavishly prostrate yourself before exactly the same deities your equally dumb & enslaved ancestors had forced upon them."

Ah ok. Nothing has changed. We've got people here furiously arguing with me against the heliocentric system, which was NOT the system that most ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans agreed with, and not the one their mythology agreed with, but ok, I guess the geocentric and the heliocentric systems are one and the same, as long as the earth is flat.

By the way, ancient Egyptians thought the Earth is flat, so I could argue just as easily that nothing has changed for you either.

"I would suggest you grow the fuck up, but instead I'd prefer you spend the rest of your life stuck to the eyepiece of your telescope, watching Star Trek, & believing in your mentally-crippling Radiant Sky-Redeemer mythos, as this is clearly what you deserve."

I see you are trying really hard to piss me off, but it's not working, because I don't value your opinion in the slightest. Seriously, stop wasting your time and energy on this. I'm beginning to worry about you.  ::)

By the way, I don't even like Star Trek.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
The Romans and Greeks viewed Thot, Hermes and Mercury as one and the same entity. So this mixing of mythologies has some tradition behind it.

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
"Here's a quote from William Blake, someone who did know what he was talking about: 'The Gods of Greece & Egypt were Mathematical Diagrams'."

Where's the quote? Lol  ;D ;D ;D

The Romans and Greeks viewed Thot, Hermes and Mercury as one and the same entity. So this mixing of mythologies has some tradition behind it.

And who do you think Thoth was a rip-off of?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »

And who do you think Thoth was a rip-off of?

Kalfu?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
But if Thoth was Kalfu, what was Eshu?

Can you see what they did there?

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2016, 10:54:56 AM »
Writing books for sock-puppeteers?

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
Nah; writing your enslaved future.

Pezevenk

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »

That's a little bit like saying that god and allah are seen as the same for christianity and islam. Ra has very little to do with Helios, other than the fact they were both gods of the sun.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
Still, where's the quote?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »

That's a little bit like saying that god and allah are seen as the same for christianity and islam. Ra has very little to do with Helios, other than the fact they were both gods of the sun.

I think, most Christians and Muslims would say that both worship the same God. At least here in Malaysia and Indonesia, where both religions live side by side this is taken for granted.

When the Greeks wrote about the Egyptian Thot, they called him Hermes. For Ra it is a little complicated. In the 1st century BC Ra was, by and large, no seperate God anymore, but combined with Amun and worshipped as Amun-Ra. As such he was translated as Zeus, not as Helios. But Ra still had his cult in the city of Iunu, and there his name was indeed translated as Helios. And Iunu was called Heliopolis = City of Ra.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:27:24 PM by FalseProphet »

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »
Ra has very little to do with Helios, other than the fact they were both gods of the sun.

Your tedious Dichotomist Reductionist nonsense is noted, anyway...

For the Way of Slavery is to Always Reduce & Never Enlarge.

It should be the 'round earther' slogan, in fact.

Just saying...

Pezevenk

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »

I think, most Christians and Muslims would say that both worship the same God. At least here in Malaysia and Indonesia, where both religions live side by side this is taken for granted.

When the Greeks wrote about the Egyptian Thot, they called him Hermes. For Ra it is a little complicated. In the 1st century BC Ra was, by and large, no seperate God anymore, but combined with Amun and worshipped as Amun-Ra. As such he was translated as Zeus, not as Helios. But Ra still had his cult in the city of Iunu, and there his name was indeed translated as Helios. And Iunu was called Heliopolis = City of Ra.

Well, maybe that's how it is in Malaysia (and that's a good thing) but in Greece it's a bit different. In fact, I think the situation here definitely reflects the situation back then. They thought they were the same gods, but that the other ones had the wrong idea of them. But yeah, Ra is a bad mess, and that's why I wouldn't say he's the same as Helios, or even Zeus.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
Ra has very little to do with Helios, other than the fact they were both gods of the sun.

Your tedious Dichotomist Reductionist nonsense is noted, anyway...

For the Way of Slavery is to Always Reduce & Never Enlarge.

It should be the 'round earther' slogan, in fact.

Just saying...

Are you finished? OK, flush the toilet now.

Now back to what you were about to say about me being Greek.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

?

Papa Legba

• Ranters
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2016, 02:16:14 AM »
Now back to what you were about to say about me being Greek.

I wasn't about to say anything.

I just wanted the information.

Now I have it.

Thank you.

I also have the information that you are terrified of attempting to justify your belief that tiny dots in the sky prove a single thing about the nature of the earth beneath our feet.

Thank you for that too.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2016, 02:29:04 AM »

Well, maybe that's how it is in Malaysia (and that's a good thing) but in Greece it's a bit different. In fact, I think the situation here definitely reflects the situation back then. They thought they were the same gods, but that the other ones had the wrong idea of them. But yeah, Ra is a bad mess, and that's why I wouldn't say he's the same as Helios, or even Zeus.

Greeks and Egyptians had different concepts, when they spoke of Helios or Ra, but they meant thje same thing. At least they saw it like that. With Muslims and Christians it is the same. I think every Arab calls God Allah, even if he is a Christian. But their concept of God is very different. God having a son is for a Muslim nothing but idololatry.