Direction of sunlight PROVES Flat Earth

• 11 Replies

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

• Creator and proponent of Celestial Ocean Theory.
Direction of sunlight PROVES Flat Earth
« on: May 06, 2016, 03:04:21 AM »
According to the Round Earthers, the sun is located billions of miles above the Earth's surface.
This is clearly impossible; you only has to look at the direction of sunlight - more specifically, crepuscular rays - to observe that the Sun CANNOT be more than a few thousand miles away, and that NASA and the satanic authorities are LYING.
Take a look at this image:

If the Sun were billions of miles away and billions of miles across, the rays you see would be VERTICAL, not SLANTED. What else can this be but absolute proof?
Hopefully this will finally make some of you realize the lies you're all being fed!

The Earth is as flat as RE arguments.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Direction of sunlight PROVES Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:57:17 AM »
According to the Round Earthers, the sun is located billions of miles above the Earth's surface.
This is clearly impossible; you only has to look at the direction of sunlight - more specifically, crepuscular rays - to observe that the Sun CANNOT be more than a few thousand miles away, and that NASA and the satanic authorities are LYING.

If the Sun were billions of miles away and billions of miles across, the rays you see would be VERTICAL, not SLANTED. What else can this be but absolute proof?
Hopefully this will finally make some of you realize the lies you're all being fed!
What about resubmitting this with just a few facts, instead of having everything wrong?

The sun in the Heliocentric Globe is nothing like "billions of miles away and billions of miles across".[1]

You really are something else aren't when you come out with such utter rubbish, and then claim we have been fed lies! And not only that, but stupidly blaming NASA and the Satanic authorities for facts that have well accepted and confirmed for centuries.

But, just how high is sun supposed to be in your Flat Earth model? I thought it was "a bit over 3,000 miles",
Now you come along and tell us that (from the annotation on the image) it is just above the cloud.

Come off it! You can check up on some better figures, but I would guess that there no way that ever could be more than 5 miles (actually ONE MILE is far more likely).
So you are claiming that the sun is no more than say FIVE MILES ABOVE THE EARTH!

;D You really are just joking surely, no person in their right mind would ever suggest such a thing.  ;D

Are you suggesting that aircraft now have to be careful they don't collide with the SUN!
 And you call yourself  ::) FLAT_IS_TRUTH  ::), what a joke.

Then you ask: "What else can this be but absolute proof?"
That is easy! You haven't the slightest idea of either the Flat Earth Theory, or the Heliocentric Globe.

When you have corrected your mistakes, we'll get onto explaining what is going on with Crepuscular rays, and it does not prove either the Flat Earth or Globe Earth.

[1] A couple of minutes with an internet search might have told you that the Sun is actually about 865,000 miles in diameter and roughly 93,000,000 miles (it varies) away! Yes, you are a bit out!

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:24:01 AM »

What about resubmitting this with just a few facts, instead of having everything wrong?

The sun in the Heliocentric Globe is nothing like "billions of miles away and billions of miles across".[1]

You really are something else aren't when you come out with such utter rubbish, and then claim we have been fed lies! And not only that, but stupidly blaming NASA and the Satanic authorities for facts that have well accepted and confirmed for centuries.

But, just how high is sun supposed to be in your Flat Earth model? I thought it was "a bit over 3,000 miles",
Now you come along and tell us that (from the annotation on the image) it is just above the cloud.

Come off it! You can check up on some better figures, but I would guess that there no way that ever could be more than 5 miles (actually ONE MILE is far more likely).
So you are claiming that the sun is no more than say FIVE MILES ABOVE THE EARTH!

;D You really are just joking surely, no person in their right mind would ever suggest such a thing.  ;D

Are you suggesting that aircraft now have to be careful they don't collide with the SUN!

That is easy! You haven't the slightest idea of either the Flat Earth Theory, or the Heliocentric Globe.

When you have corrected your mistakes, we'll get onto explaining what is going on with Crepuscular rays, and it does not prove either the Flat Earth or Globe Earth.

[1] A couple of minutes with an internet search might have told you that the Sun is actually about 865,000 miles in diameter and roughly 93,000,000 miles (it varies) away! Yes, you are a bit out!

1: By "Just above the clouds", I mean that it is just above the clouds RELATIVE to how high REers claim it is. I thought most people would be able to understand this.

2: You have yet to present any evidence that crepuscular rays prove the Round Earth. I've presented my evidence, so instead of arguing semantics and notions, why don't you present some actual FACTS that prove your worldview?

?

Kami

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:25:35 AM »

Why would someone build a road that gets smaller and smaller the further it is away from you? Oh, right. Perspective.
crepuscular rays prove nothing, neither flat nor round earth.

FLAT_IS_TRUTH

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:29:46 AM »

Why would someone build a road that gets smaller and smaller the further it is away from you? Oh, right. Perspective.

Are you seriously telling me that crepuscular rays are actually VERTICAL? Don't make me laugh!
I find it quite funny that you FEers always say that "Perspective is just an excuse!" when referring to logical FE arguments, but then you go and use perspective as an excuse yourself. Just proves the hypocrisy of the RE theory and the satanists that perpetuate this ridiculous lie.

?

Kami

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:38:24 AM »
I am saying they are not vertical. In this picture, i guess the sun stands at an angle of about 45° above the horizon (rough estimate), so the rays are going downwards, but also towards you, creating the seen effect. This also explains why the rays further away from you (as seen in the picture), are far less diverging, which is not explainable in your theory of the sun being almost directly above the clouds.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:57:32 AM »

1: By "Just above the clouds", I mean that it is just above the clouds RELATIVE to how high REers claim it is. I thought most people would be able to understand this.

2: You have yet to present any evidence that crepuscular rays prove the Round Earth. I've presented my evidence, so instead of arguing semantics and notions, why don't you present some actual FACTS that prove your worldview?
You claimed "Heliocentric Globe is nothing like "billions of miles away and billions of miles across". The stupidity of that not a matter of semantics. It is just plainly completely incorrect!

"Just above the clouds", means JUST ABOVE THE CLOUDS and what is more that really where the light does appear to come from!

Really who would ever interpret "Just above the clouds" as 3,000 miles up.

I know that I "have yet to present any evidence that crepuscular rays prove the Round Earth." You might note that what I actually said was that Crepuscular rays do not provide any evidence supporting either model.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 05:30:49 AM »
This is how I explain crepuscular rays, because they are quite a convincing optical illusion. The obvious answer is as FLAT_IS_TRUTH states, that the source of light is "just above" or sometimes "within the" clouds.

I will look at another example, simply because I had prepared the images earlier.

This is taken quite far north of the Equator (and the Tropic of Cancer) over a loch in Scotland and is a frame at 5:42 in the video
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Crepuscular rays i.e. Optical Illusion of the Sun's Diverging / Spreading Rays

Crepuscular Rays Explanation

In the image above I have extended the rays and they do indeed meet at a point that appears close to the earth.
But just consider how close! The base of Cumulo-Nimbus clouds is usually at about 1,000 m, so I have stretched things a bit and estimated that the apparent position of the sun might be about 2,000 m high and directly that Scottish loch.

But, "Flat Earth Theory" tells us that the sun is at an altitude of roughly 5,000 km, 2,500 times higher than our estimate! Something is obviously wrong! The impossibly low altitude is not the only problem. Here we seem to have the sun directly over Scotland - probably 3,600 km north of northmost excursion of the sun.

So, Flat Earth or Globe, to suggest that the convergence point of these rays shows us a sun at 5,000 km altitude is ridiculous.

Such a low altitude and quite impossible location clearly cannot fit into either the Flat Earth model or with the Globe.

For a long time I found the explanation of "perspective" (yes, that hoary old subject) hard to swallow too.

Then I watched the video I referred to above a bit more carefully, and this is how is seems to pan out.

This time I have taken the same picture "removed" the clouds, but left the sun, the rays and the indicators of where the sun was shining through the clouds.
Suddenly, there seems to be no problem! The sun looks to be in quite a normal position in the sky any any light reaching those points on the loch would pass through the location we have marked.

Crepuscular Rays Explanation - no Clouds

What we have no way of discerning is how far that spot in the clouds is from us, or from the illuminated spots on the loch surface. Removing the clouds removes a very misleading "point of reference". The bright spot in the clouds looks just above the middle of the loch, but in reality it is much further from us than that.

To me, and I hope to you, there seems to be no question about it. The presence of the clouds distorts our ideas of perspective.

Mind you now, in my opinion at least, these photos of "Crepuscular Rays" (on their own!) do not provide evidence either way on the Flat ~ Globe debate.

The apparent very low height of the sun in situations like this is simply an optical illusion.
The video
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Crepuscular rays i.e. Optical Illusion of the Sun's Diverging / Spreading Rays I referred to is a bit slow, but probably worth watching

<<Edit to fix display on Firefox>

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:16:41 PM by rabinoz »

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »

Are you seriously telling me that crepuscular rays are actually VERTICAL? Don't make me laugh!
I find it quite funny that you FEers always say that "Perspective is just an excuse!" when referring to logical FE arguments, but then you go and use perspective as an excuse yourself. Just proves the hypocrisy of the RE theory and the satanists that perpetuate this ridiculous lie.

Hi FLAT_IS_TRUTH,

A simple way to think about this, is to think about parallel lines. In the picture of the road, the lines are parellel. I don't think anyone, even you, would dispute that. You know that if you went above that road, it would be apparent that they are parellel. Even though from the perspective of the ground they don't look parellel, you know that they are.

It is the exact same thing with the sun. Those lines are parellel, just like the road picture. And if you moved far enough away from the earth, it would become very obvious they are parellel lines all originating from the sun.

Again, as others have stated, this does nothing to prove or disprove either flat or round earth, it's simply how parellel lines work with perspective.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 07:29:19 AM »

As is stated in previous replies, there's no way either model would support what we see as sun rays in this picture as coming directly from the sun. You're right, the heliocentric model puts the sun too far away (although you're off by a factor of 10-100), but so does the geocentric mode, by a factor of about 2. If anyone says "That's close enough for me," they have no clue how horrible a 100% margin of error is. So clearly, no matter what shape Earth is, this is not the correct interpretation of the observations.

FEers seem to love refraction, and, well, so do I.
If one views the earth as a globe and looks up at the sun, the sun's rays could come directly down into their eyes--but seeing as the sun is spherical, it emits light in all directions. That means, especially on a cloudy day like this, refraction allows more light to be deflected by the moisture in the air and into your eyes. By looking at the photo, paths through the clouds (areas of greater light intensity) are the primary locations of the rays. The atmosphere here deflects more and more of these rays towards you, and the scattering of the light is what produces the diminishing appearance of the ray.

If one views the earth as flat and looks up at the sun, the sun's rays could come directly down into their eyes--but seeing as the sun is spherical[nb]Check your own dogmatic Wiki or check basic science if you're one of those who baselessly thinks everything in the sky is a white-hot solid rock.[/nb], it emits light in all directions. That means, especially on a cloudy day like this, refraction allows more light to be deflected by the moisture in the air and into your eyes. By looking at the photo, paths through the clouds (areas of greater light intensity) are the primary locations of the rays. The atmosphere here deflects more and more of these rays towards you, and the scattering of the light is what produces the diminishing appearance of the ray.

You have yet to present any evidence that crepuscular rays prove the Round Earth. (1) I've presented my evidence, (2) so instead of arguing semantics and notions (3), why don't you present some actual FACTS that prove your worldview? (4)
  • No. We haven't. Because they don't prove Earth is round.
  • No. You haven't. Because they don't prove Earth is flat.
  • No. We aren't. Because the ideas you're presenting about the heliocentric model are inaccurate on a level entirely independent of semantics and notions.
  • That's not what the thread is about. It's about whether crepuscular rays prove either model right or wrong, and they don't. That's perfectly clear, so this thread might as well just putter out and go inactive. If you want to start a generalized "Let's see who can come up with a better excuse to shift the burden of proof" discussion, there's already two active threads just like that.

Note: Shifting the burden of proof is always a pathetic excuse for an argument no matter what you're arguing for. If you want to prove the earth is round, there's already plenty of proof, so don't damage your own credibility. If you want to prove the earth is not round, you'd better have some pretty solid evidence to overturn centuries of observation, and there is absolutely no truth to your theory if you just pretend you don't have to prove it. No matter what you believe, you should actually have reasons to believe it, not just a strongly entrenched hunch.
Quote from: jroa
Wow, great non-response
Quote from: disputeone
I don't understand females but am still pretty sure they exist.
Quote from: markjo
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
hey look, the sun is just above the trees.

Also Rabinoz, your paragraphs are showing up as columns of 1-2 words again.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
hey look, the sun is just above the trees.

Also Rabinoz, your paragraphs are showing up as columns of 1-2 words again.

I saw this in the other forum. I think it soundly proves your point.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.