Real Questions

• 22 Replies
Real Questions
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »
I am a Christian. I do not believe that the earth is flat.  I have some questions that I want some legitimate answer from because I want to try to understand the FE Society.  That being said, there is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise from what I believe so please do not try to.

1) Explain the sun and moon.  Where do they go?  How do they work? What about the axial tilt of the earth causing seasons?

2) Explain how people fly in airplanes around the entire world.

3) Explain the horizon and how you can see that it's clearly round.  If you are at the beach, you can see that the earth curves.  Also, people that climb Mount Everest have seen that the earth curves because you are able to see it from that point.  (In some planes you can see it too).

4) Explain time zones

5) If it really is a flat earth, explain what is at the edge.  If you went there, would there be some sort of dome-like shield?  Or could one just walk right off the edge.  And if they could, where would they go?

6) Explain the earths gravitational pull?  If the Earth is smaller than the sun (which I believe), then how does the Earth keep the sun in it's gravitational pull?  If the sun is smaller than the Earth then how would that work?

7) What is scientifically causing the sun to move around the earth?

8 ) If the world was really flat, one would be able to see much farther than we see now.  Explain that.

9) Explain the planets and other galaxies (Which they would have to exist because amateur astronomers and photographers that are not associated with NASA, take photos of).

10) Explain the circular shadow that is cast upon the moon during a lunar eclipse.

11) Explain Solar and Lunar Eclipses.

12) Explain the theory of NASA being a conspiracy.  And if they are, how in the world did it begin with Aristotle (stated that the Earth is round) and Nicolaus Copernicus (stated that the Earth revolves around the sun).

13) We obviously have planets (whether they revolve around the Earth or whether they revolve around the sun, with the Earth), where are they?  Where do they go when they are unable to be seen from Earth anymore (due to the Elliptical Galaxy).

14)  Explain the Moon's effects on the ocean

15) Explain the phases of the moon

16) If the sun points down directly, then how is the light reflected off the moon? 

17) Why can't you prove to me that the Earth is flat? 

Please give me good information!!

(EDIT: I do not expect one person to answer all the questions.  Please just answer what you can, or one at a time)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:53:47 PM by countingheartbeats »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Real Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:07:21 PM »
All these questions have been asked and answered lots of times! It's kind of rude to come here and expect people to answer all your questions without you even bothering to read some of the threads that already exist on these topics.

"there is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise from what I believe so please do not try to."

Why should anyone bother with your dumb questions, anyway?

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stanton

• Pizza Earth with Extra Cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »

. . . there is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise from what I believe so please do not try to.

So, you just want people to dance for you
until you get bored?

You shills REALLY need to watch your vocabulary.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
I am a Christian.

As a Christian, you should believe in a flat-earth. Your doctrine agrees with it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
I am a Christian.

As a Christian, you should believe in a flat-earth. Your doctrine agrees with it.
Just funny that millions disagree, including "Creation.com", aa fundamental as you can get!
Have a look at:
Quote from: Jerry Bergman
The flat-earth myth and creationism
The idea that Christians once commonly believed in a flat earth for theological reasons is a myth. The story was invented to promote the claim that Christians have widely resisted scientific advancement due to doctrinal constraints. A major motivating factor behind propagating this myth has been to bolster the Darwinian worldview and to further the goal of displacing the biblical worldview. No evidence exists to support the common claim that scientists were once persecuted for opposing the flat-earth belief or advocating the spherical earth view, which has been commonly accepted for millennia.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »
I just wanted to get some answers geez you don't have to be so  harsh.  I don't understand how it could be plausible because I've seen no actual proof of a flat earth.  I wasn't trying to demand for answers.  I just wanted to know the different stances.  I literally just listed out what I didn't understand.  I think the reason you all are getting so butthurt is because you have no actual proof to show me.  So thanks a lot for your time.  Enjoy living in your fantasy world.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:03:19 PM by countingheartbeats »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
I am a Christian.

Just funny that millions disagree, including "Creation.com", aa fundamental as you can get!
Have a look at:
The idea that Christians once commonly believed in a flat earth for theological reasons is a myth. The story was invented to promote the claim that Christians have widely resisted scientific advancement due to doctrinal constraints. A major motivating factor behind propagating this myth has been to bolster the Darwinian worldview and to further the goal of displacing the biblical worldview. No evidence exists to support the common claim that scientists were once persecuted for opposing the flat-earth belief or advocating the spherical earth view, which has been commonly accepted for millennia.

I don't see how so many misinformed people is "funny."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
I am a Christian.

Have a look at:

I don't see how so many misinformed people is "funny."
I did mean "funny - peculiar" and NOT "funny - Ha-Ha". It would have been better had I said "strange".

And I do think it utter arrogance that you think the YOU have "THE TRUTH" and all these other believers are "misinformed".

But it's just possible that Jerry Bergman really has a point. After all before that time it was certainly accepted with little question by most people, Roman Catholic, Protestant and others that the earth was a revolving Globe.

So, while I realise that in early history many cultures did assume the earth was flat, the idea of a Flat Earth is a comparatively modern "invention".

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
The scientists have duped you and caused you to lose your way. It seem supremely more arrogant to disagree with past biblical scholars when they were closer in time to the events. Nah though, I guess you being 2K years removed with a revised edition of a translated copy of a translated copy of a translated copy knows better than them.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »
The scientists have duped you and caused you to lose your way. It seem supremely more arrogant to disagree with past biblical scholars when they were closer in time to the events. Nah though, I guess you being 2K years removed with a revised edition of a translated copy of a translated copy of a translated copy knows better than them.

Look.  All I'm asking for is proof that the Earth is flat.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all towards the society or anything like that.  I need proof.  I can't believe something that there is no actual proof of.  I'm sorry

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

Look.  All I'm asking for is proof that the Earth is flat.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all towards the society or anything like that.  I need proof.  I can't believe something that there is no actual proof of.  I'm sorry

Have you read the FAQ yet? https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11211.0

Here, I will answer one of your questions.

3) Explain the horizon and how you can see that it's clearly round.  If you are at the beach, you can see that the earth curves.  Also, people that climb Mount Everest have seen that the earth curves because you are able to see it from that point.  (In some planes you can see it too).

You can not see the curvature of the earth while standing on the beach, or on the top of Mt Everest, or flying in plane.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

And I have yet to meet any Minister who does not know that the earth is the globe that it is, much less anyone involved in oceanic or aeronautic navigation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:53:46 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
Shalom and welcome to the trenches OP. great to have another Christian round earther.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

?

tappet

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
Shalom and welcome to the trenches OP. great to have another Christian round earther.
"That being said, there is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise from what I believe so please do not try to."
As said by the christian OP round earther.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »

Hello fellow sane person xD

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
All these questions have been asked and answered lots of times! It's kind of rude to come here and expect people to answer all your questions without you even bothering to read some of the threads that already exist on these topics.

"there is absolutely no way you can convince me otherwise from what I believe so please do not try to."

Why should anyone bother with your dumb questions, anyway?

Because no one can answer them

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
I need proof.  I can't believe something that there is no actual proof of.  I'm sorry

Yet you are a self proclaimed Christian and there is no proof of God. I pose that you can believe in things that you have no proof for. You simply believe in the things you want.

You want to believe in a proof-less god, so you do. You don't want to believe in a "proof-less" flat-earth, so you don't. There is proof of a flat-earth, but why would we spend our time sharing it with you? You've already stated you have your mind made up on the topic and no proof will dissuade you. Spoken like a true Christian.

Take your book and your logical contradictions elsewhere. We have no time for you and your close mindedness. This is a place of exploration and discovery; nothing is seen through closed eyes, nothing new is discovered beyond a wall contrived certianty.

If you're ever ready to see past your presuppositions, we'll be here. Come and spend some time reading what's been scratched onto our walls. Look and you'll find answers to all your questions already laid out by the people who came before you. Search and you'll find the proofs you seek.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
I need proof.  I can't believe something that there is no actual proof of.  I'm sorry

Yet you are a self proclaimed Christian and there is no proof of God. I pose that you can believe in things that you have no proof for. You simply believe in the things you want.

You want to believe in a proof-less god, so you do. You don't want to believe in a "proof-less" flat-earth, so you don't. There is proof of a flat-earth, but why would we spend our time sharing it with you? You've already stated you have your mind made up on the topic and no proof will dissuade you. Spoken like a true Christian.

Take your book and your logical contradictions elsewhere. We have no time for you and your close mindedness. This is a place of exploration and discovery; nothing is seen through closed eyes, nothing new is discovered beyond a wall contrived certianty.

If you're ever ready to see past your presuppositions, we'll be here. Come and spend some time reading what's been scratched onto our walls. Look and you'll find answers to all your questions already laid out by the people who came before you. Search and you'll find the proofs you seek.

The problem is, there is proof of God.  The resurrection of Jesus Christ is a historically documented event, and whether you want to believe that or not, that's how it is.  The Bible is a historical document that is filled with fulfilled prophecies and eyewitness accounts. 

I seek proof.  Prove it to me!

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
The problem is, there is proof of God.  The resurrection of Jesus Christ is a historically documented event, and whether you want to believe that or not, that's how it is.  The Bible is a historical document that is filled with fulfilled prophecies and eyewitness accounts. 

Ummmmm, even if the resurrection of a guy were proven (it's not, lol) it doesn't prove God.

Flat-earth theory is built upon conformable experiments. Replicate one for yourself if you want proof.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
I am a Christian.

Have a look at:
It would be silly to make a claim like this as it discounts huge parts of the flat earth movement from the 1800s to the late 1970s. David Wardlaw Scott, for example, wrote a great book on the literal interpretation of the bible showing the Earth is Not A Globe.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »

Ummmmm, even if the resurrection of a guy were proven (it's not, lol) it doesn't prove God.

Flat-earth theory is built upon conformable experiments. Replicate one for yourself if you want proof.

Soooo... A guy who says I am gonna be resurrected because I am the son of God, is resurrected as He said He would be, does not prove a God? Your logic is....uh....interesting.

As for your "provable" experiments....... I suppose that is another form of creative wording and logic?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:25:05 PM by Babyhighspeed »
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
"You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me."

The true teachings of Jesus are far more important than the belief that he was resurrected anyways.

That said, you would have to be a fool to discount the possibility of a God. I used to, in my younger age, scoff at the religious and think of them as silly and stupid following a belief without proof and using it as a crutch. In my age, I now see now that perhaps I was the one that was being silly. At the end of the day the basis for most our knowledge relies on many aspects of un-provable faith just to function. We just bury it down far enough that most folks don't notice this.

Most of the arguments I see for atheism betray many of the same logical flaws present  in religion. In the end, judging religion by the metric of science is stupid. You might as well judge an Orange by whether its as red as Apples.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.